User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2011, 02:23 PM   #31
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Oddometer: 353
Just saw ur post!!

Yes I got a hook on some gear from my homie who I used to Sled with, who runs a shop. I am in Sayulita for the night, just got here. I have been here before but way different on a bike really nice. Camping by the beach, if you get this let me know where and when tonight u can meet up for a beer. I will check this in a bit.. Later fletch
crestedbutte-rtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 02:46 PM   #32
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestedbutte-rtw View Post
Yes I got a hook on some gear from my homie who I used to Sled with, who runs a shop. I am in Sayulita for the night, just got here. I have been here before but way different on a bike really nice. Camping by the beach, if you get this let me know where and when tonight u can meet up for a beer. I will check this in a bit.. Later fletch
cool!
meet me @ 9:30 in the center of town @ the gazebo.
i wear glasses and a kavu visor.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 05:34 PM   #33
ROAD DAMAGE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 852
Can't miss him

Hey Crested Butte,

You can't miss Bill, he'll be wearing glasses and a Kavu visor and ................... riding a DR650 like a chimpanzee on crack! You CO boys have fun, it's dumping in Steamboat today. Enjoy the heat and sun. Have a cold one for me.

Rob
Old 11-21-2011, 07:50 AM   #34
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

bill, I am stuck in Sayulita bike trouble

Hey bill I am sitting at chocobanana with bike trouble anyway u could swing by.. will be here till I figure it out.. Fletch
Old 11-21-2011, 08:15 AM   #35
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Need help...

So I started the bike fine this morning, it had sat and rested for two days. I moved it up onto the street fine loaded it up. Started and made it around the block and then it just died. I check the gas full tank. It will only start and run if choke is full on.. top end??? I am a two stroke guy don't know much about 4 strokes. I bought the bike only 3 weeks before I left went through it but did not take it apart. It has been drinking alot of oil and getting 40mpg fully loaded. any thoughts? Thanks Fletch
Old 11-21-2011, 11:08 AM   #36
Mike92
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
The choke is actually an enrichener. It's not getting gas. I suspect a piece of debris has wandered into your slow speed jet. Pull the bottom of the bowl and the jet unscrews and you can clean it.
Mike92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:47 AM   #37
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Thanks!!!

I am taking her apart in a garage here tonight once it cools down a little.. Thanks for the advice, thats the first thing were going after is cleaning the carb out and changing spark plug. Thanks Fletch
Old 11-21-2011, 08:41 PM   #38
epix1718
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
Sorry about the bike issues so early in the trip but I gotta be a bit envious of you being able to take a trip like this. I saw we are the exact same age (we share the same bday), and I'm already pretty much tied down to a job without the freedom of leaving on a grand trip like this (3.5 weeks vacation per year). Hope everything works out for you in the long run of things, just remember it's not about the destination, rather the journey. I'll keep my eye on your progress.
85 Yamaha BIG Wheel 200 & 88 BIG Wheel 350
Travel Blog: http://peteandluna.wordpress.com/
epix1718 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:11 AM   #39
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

On the road again!!!!

Good Morning!
I met Bill, ADVRIDER.COM "Eakins", three days ago who owns Sayulita (Puerto Vallarta) Mexico - guided day trips & vacation services
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=732617
Just to get a beer a talk about my trip he lives here in Sayulita, just moved down. He gave me alot of advice and answered all my questions. Very nice guy, two days later I started having bike trouble and shot him an Email. He came right away and met me in the square, we messed with it there for awhile and then I followed him to his house with a nice clean garage. We left the bike due to the heat and went to the beach, met back up at around 5 and started tearing her down. We pulled the carb and it actually looked great almost brand new. We cleaned her out really well checked everything all the pilots the skirt everything. we notice taking off the Choke cable that connects to the carb was cracked. So we did our best to fix, super glue, electrical tape, and zipties and shes back to new. We pulled the Spark plug and it didn't look that bad, but still changed it anyways I had brought 3 extras with me. We went through the bike making sure nothing stood out as odd. Put the bike back together crossed our fingers, started right up once gas got back in the carb and sounded awesome, took the choke off and she just puuurrred. I just started to laugh, guessing that there was just some junk stuck in the carb which came out with the old gas. So we walked into town for victory tacos and beers, my treat of course!!.. haha
If it wasn't for Bill I would of had a huge headache but he just laughed and helped me out a really awesome dude.
If your ever riding through or visiting Sayulita or PV hit him up too go riding or just grab a beer.

Thanks for all the advice

Sayulita (Puerto Vallarta) Mexico - guided day trips & vacation services
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=732617

to more adventrues to come!
Fletcher
Old 11-22-2011, 07:59 AM   #40
cbtrekker
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Talking

Hey Fletch glad to hear you got you bike troubles worked out so quickly. Hope you have many miles of safe travel in front of you. Can't wait to hear more and see more pics. Please take more pics for those of us stuck in the snow here in CB. Hit me up on Skype. David Flanagan or DoyleDave77. HAha I misspelled my last name and was like damn you spell check I think I can spell my own name, but alas spell check was right. Take care buddy...Dave
cbtrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:14 AM   #41
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Sorry been awhile gotta get better at this forum thing...

DAY- 18
11/22/2011
Woke up at Bills house where he let me camp, after fixing the bike we had victory tacos and beers in town. I then went into town due to the time of day I decided to stay one more day in good old Sayulita. I got a cheap hostel with safe parking dropped all my gear and went for a test ride on the bike into pv for a few things from autozone and Walmart. She ran great a lot of power now felt great. I really think it must have been my spark plug. I met up with two other riders when I got back to the hostel a guy on a gs1200 from AZ and a guy Quinn from Montreal on a XR650. Quinn is sticking around waiting to meet up with his parents in pv for a week, and AZ and I are heading south Tomorrow together. We went out for way to many drinks and had a blast trading stories, saw Bill again he stopped by for a few mins.
Day- 17
11-21-2011
WHERES HE GOING...NOWHERE!! HAHAHA
I got all packed up started the bike moved it to the street, loaded her up said good bye to my new friends Deigo and Lulu and left. I made it about 1.5 blocks and she turned off. I messed with it for awhile and could only get her to run with the choke all the way on. I made it slowly into town and went to get coffee and internet. Did some research and also wrote my friend bill from Advrider.com an email. He came over to where I was parked with in 30mins. We messed with it for a bit and came to relize that it wasn't a quick easy fix. So we putted up to his house where I setup a tent in his yard through some pesos to his landlord for letting me stay and stripped my bike. He went to the the beach with his family and we will meet up to take apart the carb around 5ish once it starts to cool down. He has a nice clean Garage with good light to work in. No point to be bummed wouldn't do anby good, so I am going to go for a swim and get a taco and just laugh. There would be must worse places to be stuck in. hahaha Update soon fingers crossed
relaxing
DAY-16

11/20/2011

Woke up ready to leave, walked into town very hot and tried to get internet and coffee. Ordered Coffee and got the interenet Key, the coffee never c ame so I left with out paying just using the internet for 30 minutes. On the way back I stopped and had these amazing goat tacos that came from a goat stew, fucking epic!!! Great Breakfast!!

I walked back to the camp and started to pack up got everything packed sitting on the ground started taking down the tent. Stopped walked over to my new friends Lulu and Deigo (he rides a ktm 300 rad guy very interest in my trip and generous to help ). Asked them if it would be just as busy today as it will be tomorrow, due to being end of the holiday. They said it would be, but the way I am going should not be a problem. So I quickly changed my mind and resetup my tent and threw my gear into it. Paid for another night and went for a swim. Ate awesome goat stew tacos that were on point! And cheap! Then ended up drinking to much with my new friends on the beach.

DAY 15-
Day- 15

11/19/2011

Woke up around 6:30 and slowly started to get ready. We didn’t get back to the taco joint for breakfast till 9am, and the breakfast was awesome as well, deep friend chips, covered in queso and Feta, scrambled eggs, Beans, and fresh HOT torillas-(Ranchero). We heded out of town like Bandits, fucking flying passing cars as if we were running liter bikes, so much fun and beautiful. From the beach up into a mountain pass and then blasting back onto the beach. So much fun we rode hard and then bam damn ol traffic. (It’s a holiday this weekend so everyones on the coast) We past most until we hit a town and was stuck in hot dead moving traffic, he tried to take us on short cut but ended up bouncing down a sidewalk and slamming into/ over a little wall. We busted back out of town and headed making good time. He jumped around a bus in town which didn’t make the bus driver happy so he swerved trying to swipe him, and then he missed a biker but just a few inches at an intersection. We stopped at a gas staion filled up made plan if we get seperated by traffic we would meet in Sayulita. I got to Sayulita a little behind him and he was no where to be found made a few laps and could not find him. Stopped walked around thought I saw him ran back to the bike jumped on and chased after. Nope nobdy on a bike, went back to the highway got on and started heading toward PV, about 10k down the road wasn’t really feeling it and wanted just to relax no need to push down the coast if I do have to. So I headed back to Sayulita looked some more and gave up got an expensive camp spot (90 pesos) (8 bucks)-again holiday weekend and it was packed. I just ate 2 delicious tacos and will walk back to camp. I hope I will ride again with my friend, very fun to ride with.. Oh well shit happens.
I got an message on Advrider.com that a guy Bill from Steam Boat lives here In sayulita and wanted to meet up if I came through. So I wrote him that I was there and was down to meet up. He told me 9:30 at the center of town under gazabo. I thought I had missed him and waited till about 9:45 and he showed up smiling. We sat and drank two beers each in the center, which he bought for us (very rad). Awesome to talk to another adventure rider who had ridden in Mexico, he gave me a lot of awesome tips and heads up. I learned a lot from him from the police to the food, what to do if pulled over what not, what to eat what not. Was a very friendly guy and very willling and wanting to help. I kinda of cut it short due to having to pee again in 5 minutes from drinking a lot all day. Got back to my tent by way of awesome pork tacos which was slow cooked like gyros. Then I promptly passed out cold.

DAY 14-
Day-14

11/18/2011

Was all over the place last night trying to get comfy while sleeping in a movie theater type chair, finally ended up on the ground which worked great and saved me 50bucks. I was up around 5:30 watched the sunrise on the ocean with no land mass in view, just a couple of Sailboats. We had parked the bikes on the bottom level so we were the last to go to the lower decks ot move our bikes/ cars other than truckers. We finally got to go to our bikes I was praying mine didn’t fall over or else it would of smashed into the side of a Mustang hahaha. I packed up my bike as quickly as I could trying to get out of there before headache began from everyones exhaust just running waiting in line to get up ramp and out of boat. I got myself out relatively quickly and waited for my new friend (still can’t remember his name poland.

We headed right out of town , it was getting to be a hot day we didn’t really start riding away from ferry till almost noon. We stopped a couple of times for water, more then I usually do but it was nice to ride with someone else. He rode like a racer in and out of cars passing fast and constantly which I enjoy so we chased each other down the Pacific coast taking the 15 not toll road. We arrived at San Blas around 4 and very hungery and thirsty. We tried to ask a couple of people where to eat and all locals kept sending us to McDonalds.. no thanks. We finally chose a place to eat which turned out to be AWESOME!! I ate a lot, I had a Marlin Burrito, and three Carneasada Tacos and washed it down with two beers. It was 100 pesos each with tip, 8 bucks and I was full for the night. We headed toward Stoners Surf Camp, $4 camping, we hung out with 3 German kids, one Mexican guy who was working, and two Mexican Girls . We ended up drinking a lot of beers, the table was covered in empties and my flask was out of Tequila so I went to bed.
DAY 13- FERRY!!!!!
I woke up talked with a nice English girl for awhile about our trips we were on. I moved my bike to the front entrance and packed her up. I got directions and headed to the ferry port early around 9:30 (my ferry wasn’t until 6pm but I had lot to do). I got there and got my Permit for my bike with little trouble had to get extra copies made and then $444.00 later I was done, although $400 was a deposit that I will get back when I leave Mexico with the Bike intact. I met two other bikers one from England on a 1200GS BMW and a lady from Austalia on a KTM 640 enduro. Very nice, they both were doing there own spin of a RTW on there bikes in for the long haul. He had flown in and headed to AK then zigzagged through Canada and then finished by hitting every state in the US. Very nice people. After I had received my ticket and permit (ticket was 1700 peso- for bike and myself), I headed back to La Plaz. I headed through Centro and got lost found a Yamaha shop looking for Chain Lube. They were out but did have oil so I grabbed another quart, the mechanic tried to give me instructions to shop for lube but to no good. So he gave up grabbed his helmet and with a smile on his face went for a spin and showed me first hand where the shop was. It was out we just laughed and tried the next, they were out too. After they were done making fun of me for riding an Ugly KLR, he got his mechanic to give me a bottle and let me spray my chain for free. My new friend who had shown me the way headed out.

I headed back toward the Center after getting lost for a second I figured it out with help of gas and directions. I parked my bike and headed toward my new favorite taco stand for a coke and 4 fish/ shrimp tacos for 5 bucks. After this I went and sat on a stage near the street people watched and relaxed in the shade. I then headed down the street stopped in a popular Icecream shack and had a delicious banana Ice Cream cone. Headed back to the bike jumped on and headed out of town back toward the ferry. I stopped about 100 yards from the entrance of the check point to get out my ticket and permit. I did it again… had the bike on center stand and left the kick stand down, so when the bike came off the center stand it hit the kick stand and wooops there I go. The bike was to heavy for my right leg and I slowly let it down to the ground. I tried to pick it up three times (I could of if I had no choice but it would of hurt a lot!!). Instead I looked up at a guy who was watching me and hitch hiking, looked at him as he stared and waved his ass over to help me out. With a little fight we were able to wrestle the bike up . I crossed the permit check point with ease. I stopped and started talking to a very nice guy who was new a little english. We talked for a while then moved over to the shade. He had 6 kids and lived in Mexico City and once a month made runs over to Baja taking packages from Mexico City to Baja. He then let me follow him over to the line up where we hung out and waited till we were called to load. After he left I was hanging out with funny Mexicans who didn’t speak English and my shitty Spanish we spoke with our hands and actions very funny. Right before I loaded up a guy riding a 08 KLR650 rolled up and was like your from Colorado me too. Well then I realized he saw my Colorado Freeskier.com sticker from the front.

Nice guy we hung out for another 5 mins before we were waved onto the boat, we went down a few levels and found a nice place to park. He new the deal setup the right way and strapped his bike down. I was sent to the wrong place and didn’t have a great place to strap it down and was on bad angle. So I just found a pole leaned it against ans strapped it to the pole then strapped it to the floor.. (Fingers crossed hope it makes it the night or else it will be in the side of a Mustang). We were tieing the bikes up when all of a sudden he walked over in a daze and blood was flowing from his head. He had smashed his head on the the stairs tieing his bike down. He was fine but was bleeding pretty good. That’s when I found that Nazil spray slows the bleeding quickly. I found a safe seat to keep all my crap in, he joined after shower. We had a bunch of beer and a free dinner (included). Talked a lot about where our planned routes were, and how this trip hadn’t seemed real up until now. He is a lawyer and Motorcycle racer from Denver. Good night now!!!.
DAY 12
Lots of goodbyes yesterday to Dan and friends. Last night just hungout with Jason for the last time in a year or so. I will def miss that man, a very close friend. I then said goodbye today after changing the oil filter. I then drove back out to Mary's house to get my camera which I left. I got on the highway and headed toward La Plaz. I was heading out and had to get through a Military Check Point, they were waving everyone through. I stopped at the gaurd, he asked if I was an American I said yes and he told me I had to pull over and get checked.. hahaha. I did and the next guy asked me what I head in my left Mannier I told him clothes and camping gear, he waved me through.
I was heading into La plaz from Todo Santos, about 10k from town on the highway. All of a sudden I hear Fletch! Hey Fletch! I look to my right and there is Bret a friend from seattle who I met down here on his dirtbikes. We pulled over he was on his way to get his wife who flew in. His buddy who had driven down with him had broken his ribs and had to fly home. He was able to give me a quart of oil for my bike and wouldn't take any money, which was awesome of him. Then we went on our way. I recieved my first gas dontaion today on Paypal which was awesome and amazing.
DAY 9-11
After a nice relaxing morning we packed up and head out to find where Jason V. was staying. We rode toward Todo Santos and right before arriving we headed left down a dirt road for about one klik. He was staying in hios own personal compound, very nice and on the beach. We just relaxed and unwound from the wedding and for me the long drive staright full throttle from Crested Butte, CO. We ate good food and drank good beer. Nothing crazy happened except jason turned his rental Nissan into a rally car and scared the crap out of Dan many times very very funny. We must of hit a water hole in the dirt road down 70mph.. SO SO FUNNY!!! He loved the Ebrake on everyturn. Woke up one mornign after heavy rain and wind and found my bike had sunk into the wet gravel and fell into trees breaking the windshield in half, ducktape and where ready to go.
DAY 7-9
Day 7-

I woke up around 6:30 ready for action packed my bike , got a car moved so I could squezee out. I jumped across the street to the gas station. I got 80 pesos of gas and had my money all together, wen tot pay with a 200 and he turned around hten back around with a 20 in his hands. Saying I hadn’t gave him enough have a sleep I gave him more and when I left I relized he had just scammed me I had given him a 200 …well played scammed me for 16 bucks…It took me 2.5 hours to get to Todo Santos for the wedding from Laz Paz, took over 1.5 hrs to stop getting loss and get on the right road and then less then an hour to get here.. I finally made it didn’t know where to go but knew Mary and Allisons friend owned a surf camp so I stopped talked with him checked my email and found out everything I needed to know. Pulled up right before 11 and ran into all of my friends with beer and tequilla heading for the beach. Quickly threw my gear in Dans place and met them at the beach for beerfast. Hung out on the beach till 2 eating tacos and drinking beers. We got ready and headed to the surf Colonel for the wedding. Beautiful wedding.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:48 AM   #42
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

PICS.. Please work.. haha

[/IMG]
Old 12-01-2011, 09:49 AM   #43
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Wont let me post any pics at all!!!!
Old 12-01-2011, 03:24 PM   #44
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,321
Use smugmug or photobucket and you can post all the pics you like. I would like to see 'em too!

Still Riff Raff....

Riff Raff lives again! Rally Pan Am Dakar 2015
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:20 PM   #45
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Yeah pics... Baja first leg

BAJA!!!! HEADING TO THE WEDDING.. WILL I MAKE IT IN TIME!!!

MY
HEADING DOWN BAJA MAKING GOOD TIP STOP FOR AMAZING BREAKFAST HERE, JUST ONE LADY WORKING IN THE BACK OF THE TRAILER WHIPPING UP AWESOME BREAKFAST/LUNCH FOR ME.

FIRST OF MANY FLATS.. WAS FLYING UP THIS TWISTY MOUNTAIN ROAD WHEN MY BACK STARTED TO FLY ALL OVER THE PLACE LIKE I HAD HIT ICE. HELD ONTO IT, SLOWED ADN GOT IT TO A FLATISH DIRT SPOT OFF OF THE ROAD. I JUMPED RIGHT INTO IT GOT IT ON THE CENTER STAND AND PUT MY BAGS ON THE BARS SO THE TIRE WAS OFF OF THE GROUND JUST ENOUGH.

EXPLODED THIS TUBE NO PATCH FOR THIS ONE... THANK YOU VERY BIG STAPLE.....HAHAHA

THIS IS FRED WE MET OUTSIDE OF NEGRO AT DUSK AND RODE IN TOGETHER AND FOUND A CHEAP HOTEL, HE IS FROM HOLLAND GOING TO BELIZE TO VISIT FRIENDS. WE BOTH GOT STUCK ON A 250KM STRETCH OF ROAD WITH OUT SERVICES.. NO CHOICE PUT HEAD DOWN AND BURY THE THOTTLE.. SECOND DAY ON IN MEXICO I CATCH A FLAT AND HAVE TO BREAK THE BIG RULE OF RIDING AT NIGHT.. LUCKLY I RAN INTO FRED..

YIPPPEEEEE.. ON THE ROAD AGAIN MAKING GOOD TIME DOWN THE EAST COAST NOW!!!!

RODE OVER 800KM'S TODAY TO LA PLAZ.

MADE IT!!! 4 HOURS TO SPARE... HAHAHA TODO SANTOS

GOODBYE!!! BAJA THAT WAS EPIC WILL COME BACK AND RIDE YOU ON A DIRTBIKE NEXT TIME!!!!