User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2012, 09:05 AM   #91
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Oddometer: 353
Wicked Guatemala picture time!!!

Guatemala City Traffic, heading for the mountains.... I was lost for a long long time in this city.. hhaahhaa

ZEPHYR LODGE... LANQUIN

EPIC LUNCH SPOT..

ANOTHER SPOT

GIANT JANGA

VIEW FROM THE LODGE

ANOTHER RAD DAY

PISSING RAIN

FUCKING MAN EATING POTHOLES

STILL SMILING!!!! SHRED ON MY FRIENDS SHRED ON..
crestedbutte-rtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:13 AM   #92
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Thumb El salvador.. Get'n some

OH BACK TO THE COAST, HOW I'VE MISSED YOU!!!

DOWN WE GO.. QUICK TURN OFF THE GAS.. HAHA

CRAPPY PIC, BUT THE DUDE WHO RODE HIS BIKE WITH MY TIRE IN HIS LAP...

THE PIER

GETTING THROUGH THE NETS

BREAKING DOWN EEL AND CATFISH

STINGRAY

LUNCH

FRESH CATCH
Old 01-07-2012, 09:36 AM   #93
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Laugh El salvador.. Turtles, sunsets, oh my

TURTLES WAITING TO GO HOME

ALMOST THERE

LIVE FREE DIE HARD

JUST A LIL GUY

YEAH GET SUM

Old 01-09-2012, 10:45 AM   #94
Lunatic
Dan Keyhoety

Oddometer: 611
Excellent report

Keep in comin

Don't be afraid your life will end, be afraid that it will never start.

Arrogance is the anesthesia that dulls the pain of stupidity
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:51 PM   #95
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Catching up

Day-62-64
1/5-7/2012
Woke up this morning and realized I didn’t want to leave El Salvador, so I didn’t. I headed back North to Playa El Tunco, a little surfer paradise. I showed up to a little hostel near the beach and right away saw a friend that I had met in Puerto Escondido Mexico. I hung out and surfed for 3 great days. I met so many awesome new friends. We had great family dinners and just amazing times. El Salvador has the nicest, greatest people. Matt from Holland gave me a sweet bracelet thingy and now I am part of the BRACLET BRAHS!!!

Day-65
1/8/2012
Woke up this morning still not feeling great and my feet are swollen- weird. I didn’t want to leave, but I knew it was time to make my way toward Nicaragua. So I loaded up the bike dripping sweat and headed south down the coast. It was a nice road lots of potholes, the road ran next to the coast then into the fields and back to the coast. I felt horrible the whole ride, but at the end of the day I started to feel much better. I rode for only 3hrs until I came upon a small beach town right before Honduras. I found a cheap place to sleep for 6 bucks right on the beach. I went for an hour or so walk up the beach then to a little fishing village which just had boat come in with fresh fish. I was walking back into the compound when I walked by a couple who looked very familiar. I then saw two scooters one with a surf rack, I had definitely had met that couple before in Antigua. I headed back to their table and started talking with them. We had met in Antigua only for 5 minutes when we were both looking for a hostel with safe parking. They were from Holland and had flown to Mexico, bought scooters had a surfboard rack welded to one of the bikes. They are following the West Coast all the way down to Panama on 125cc and 150cc Scooters, so awesome. The guy was making me laugh when he was telling stories of trying to cross the 30+miles of wind from Puerto to Guatemala. He said they couldn’t ride it they were all over the place wrecking and falling over so finally had to hitch hike with the scooters and made it.
I didn’t eat all day, just wasn’t feeling it until 7pm when I had a huge plate of Pasta. I figured out my route that I wanted to take from there to Nicaragua. I sent out an email to the family let them know I was doing two border crossing and would be in Nicaragua by the next night and then I went to sleep.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:55 PM   #96
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Thumb El salvador to nicaragua!!!

DAY-66
1/9/2012
Alright I am going to be completely honest; I woke up with morning a little nervous about crossing through Honduras. I had been told as well as read a lot of forums about people having a lot of trouble with the police in Honduras and I just don’t like border crossings-period… Up till this point I had been lucky, no problems with the cops, Border Officers, or bad encounters at all, so I had a feeling it was my turn soon. I toward the El Salvador/ Honduras border and was stopped at a police check point. Before I could say anything he saw my maps on my tank bag and asked if I was going to Nicaragua. I said yes and he waved me back onto the road and on my way.
I rode into the border and people started coming out trying to get me to stop so that I would let them help me and pay them for helping me. I just kept driving, one guy walked out and tried to stop me and I just drove through till a cop made me stop. Woops I needed to stop there and talk to the guy who tried to stop me. I gave him my permits and made a quick photocopy and was on my way. As I pulled into the next building I was asked again to let someone help me, No Gracias and made my way to the Immigration office to get stamped out of El Salvador. I made it to the next check point where the guy asked for my title, passport, license, and permits. He had all of my important stuff and told me to follow him, (of course I am going to follow you, you have my life in your hands) haha. I parked my bike near another KLR from Panama and walked into the office. Again I was followed by the same guy trying to help me finally I figured out the key word NO DINERO, he looked at me said you have no money… and walked away..Haha I sat there for awhile and she typed up a permit for me, I had to walk to the bank and pay 35 bucks for the permit just to ride through Honduras a 60mile stretch until I got into Nicaragua. I made a bunch more copies and then she handed me my permit. I met the guy on the other KLR and he warned to watch my speed through Honduras, don’t break 90kmh police are a problem he told me. I grabbed a Pepsi from a nice older lady 60ish who when I maid she reached up and pinched my nipple… ugh what just happened? haha… I got back to the office asked if I was finished and could head to Nicaragua? She said yes all done.
I jumped on my bike and made my way through Honduras. I came upon my first Police stop, “oh man oh man” I smiled at the guy as he waved me through and then he gave me the thumbs up and smiled and went back to work. I passed a truck full of cops and nothing. I came to another checkpoint and they just waved me through with a quick nod, I gave them the thumbs up and headed toward the border. The road was horrible zigzagging all though pothole hell until I reached the border. Another check point at the border, they wanted my License and were not taking my copies or Permit, finally he told me he wasn’t cop he was official who need to see a valid license to let me into the Border. I made my way to the border, very excited I made it without a problem... “Yeah I am getting good at this watch out world I have this down pat…” (Yeah right..) I strutted up to the window to get checked out of Honduras.. "Sir where is your entry stamp?” “My what” I was told and read that El Salvador and Honduras doesn’t stamp. He got me to walk into the office and sit in the back room. An officer came in holding a stamp and sat down. We talked for a sec and he told me I should have a stamp and I would not be allowed to enter Nicaragua or leave Honduras. He started to BS me around finally I knew what he was after, I looked at him and asked how much for the stamp. He smiled said yes yes and got up got a piece a paper and wrote $50 bucks! WHAT!!! After a little back and forth, he also handed back a little bit of money after I explained I didn’t have enough now for Nicaragua permit. I ended up paying $30 for that damn stamp.. haha oh well it was bound to happen sometime, just didn’t think it would be from a border official. (I am getting really good at laughing and letting things go..and of course still getting lost.. haha)He stapled the money to a piece of paper and stuffed it in the middle of a stack of paper. Although he did get a lady to skip me sit me in the office and cancel my permit and make me legal to go to Nicaragua. I headed across the border after a little running around and sweating a lot I was allowed to enter Nicaragua.
I made it about a 1km until I was stopped by three police officers and asked for my license, I gave them my AAA International driving license. They were all around my bike I was trying to watch all of them my helmet was still off when another guy started to ask me stupid questions about the bike. The officer with the permit started to hand back the license, and then another cop started to walk up, yup time to go! I snatched my license said gracias and gave her gas for about 400meters put my helmet back on and gear, headed down the road. Not even 1km further and another checkpoint!!! Their shirts said Immigration but there truck had a rubbed off immigration sticker on the back but kind of a legit one on the door. They asked for my passport..(You Serious, we’re not even 2km from the border where I just had to show my passport to get onto this road) Fine, here it is he looked at it for a second said thanks and sent me on my way. The road went from very smooth and nice to pothole hell again. I Came into a town and found an atm and gas. Saw my new friend from Panama again and he wanted a picture of us, I took one as well. I got back on the road after gas and headed for Leon, I was making good time flying down the road. I came upon three other bikes with younger kids on them. They honked and yelled smiling at me as I passed them. They chased after me and we were flying down the road, out of nowhere there was a cop standing on the road she started to walk out toward our lane blowing her whistle. I started to hit the brakes then remember when I got pulled over before they had no radios and there was no car around her, yeah right slammed the gas and blasted out of there same with the kids. I continued on my way, caught up with the Panama guy he was riding slow, probably smart so we rode for a while until he headed toward the capital and I went for the coast. I made it through Leon without getting too lost and the first hostel I tried had safe parking, weird vibe but cheap. I will go find tires tomorrow, spend one more night and go to Ben’s hotel on the 11th.
Pictures to come..
www.wheresfletch.com
Old 01-10-2012, 05:38 AM   #97
panzerrocket
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm subscribed
Keep rockin' fletch
panzerrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:52 AM   #98
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Laugh Oh i almost forgot!!!

I missed a pig on the road by his hairy chinny chin chin.. Haha would of sucked for both of us...
Old 01-10-2012, 11:49 AM   #99
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Thumb El tunco, el salvador- leon, nicaragua

DUTCH MEATBALLS!!!!

SAN SALVADOR, VIEW FROM LUNCH

PLAYA EL TUNCO BEACH

WALKING HOME FROM SURFING

DUTCH COUPLE HEADING FROM MEXICO TO PANAMA ON 125CC/ 150CC SCOOTERS.. SURF TRIP

ANOTHER KLR RIDER FROM PANAMA

PAINTING IN THE STREETS OF LEON, WHILE I WAS SEARCHING FOR A NEW BACK TIRE....

WWW.WHERESFLETCH.COM
Old 01-10-2012, 07:09 PM   #100
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Question Anyone got tips for shipping?

Any tips for shipping? We did a plain box no markings, No Insurance, did it as sample stuff/ gift. and they still wanted 1200-1500 bucks!!! for a set of tires and a few misc parts.... so we did not ship it.. of course

Also anyone ever ridden at CST tire?? needed a back one bad, found this company for 60bucks down here not bad for CA.. we will see I am going to slap it on in Costa if I make it the far maybe in Rivas if my tires starts to wear any quicker..
Old 01-11-2012, 03:34 AM   #101
panzerrocket
Gnarly Adventurer

Try horizonsunlimited.com
panzerrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:34 AM   #102
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Thumb Thanks

I will keep searching through horizons.. that is where I got all of the other tips that I used... Plain box, sample, no insurance, and so on...
I'll just find parts along the way roll the dice and smile with the adventures... hahaha..
thanks
Fletch
Headed toward Southern Nicaragua today.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:25 AM   #103
cbtrekker
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Hey Fletch, Hope all is well with you and the bike. I love the pic of the dog on the beach, looks like a homie with a tail. Oh and the couple riding scooters with a surfboard rack. Now that is more my style...surfs up my man!!! Stay well and be safe. Take care, and I hope to hear from you soon. Thanks again for the B-day wishes that was a nice surprise.
cbtrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:36 PM   #104
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Laugh Catching up!!

DAY-67
1/10/2012

Look for tire day!!
Woke up ran around town found one of the only motoshops I could find. They had oil, tube, and a rear tire my size. After a little Bargaining I left paying less than 80 bucks for everything... not bad considering where I am... Although I think I will wait as long as I can to put on the new back tire, I bought it more as a backup/ just in case tire. It is a CST 70% road I’d say. I will make it to San Jose, Costa Rica and try and replace both my tires there before heading down to Panama and crossing over to Columbia with Clay from Canada by the end of the month. I had a pretty low key rest of the day started to do some research on how I am going to get from Argentina to South Africa. Talk to my buddy Ben who lives down in Playa Gigante and got directions to his house/ surf lodge. I got caught up on a little Skype action, nice dinner, and went to bed.

DAY-68
1/11/2012
Ran around town looking for a map of Nicaragua, no luck oh well at least I am getting to be a pro at getting lost. Haha… I got my bike out of the owner of the hostels house and loaded her back up, threw the tire on the back and headed off. Made it out of town without getting lost once... I rallied through Nicaragua, didn’t follow my friends directions too much took a short cut and it worked out for me. I followed his directions wants I got off the Pan-American and got into the good old dirt. I had a blast riding today just laughing and giving her throttle. I was almost to my buddies house when I cam e up on a small river crossing he forgot to tell me about. I didn’t know how did it was, I waited till I saw a suv cross it, looked to be about knee deep. I took it easy through the crossing and then fish tailed up the muddy hill on the other side. I drove right past my friends lodge and then after asking some locals I pulled up to his gate. He let me in with a smile, hug, beer, and 5 minutes to get my board shorts on pick a surfboard and get on the boat. PERFECT!!
We ripped up the coast looking for some waves, after 15 minutes we were in the water surfing a fun little break. We surfed for 3hrs or so and then headed back to the boat. I got settled into my room shown around the lodge and town. Went to his restaurant for dinner and a few drinks. Had a pretty mellow day, this place is amazing I will stick around here for a week.

DAY 69-71
1/12-14/2012
We grabbed our boards and walked down the beach over some rocks around the cliffs and jumped off a small cliff into the ocean and went surfing for 3+hrs. I traded with a guy Gavin and used his long board which was a blast due to the size of the waves. I have been going surfing and hanging out with a guy JJ one of Bens and Becca’s good friends. We did an hour hike each way through the dang ol jungle to go surf. Got home ate lunch took a nap and hiked back out toward the same spot but then went into a different town for dinner. We crossed a gnarly swing bridge in the dark that had a lot of missing planks.
I have had an awesome time catching up with Ben I haven’t seen or hung out with him in almost 4 years.
The town is really really awesome a small fishing town which is about to blow up as a huge surfing destination.
Ben let me grab his Capitan, gas, and a few new friends and go fishing, his boat needed to be run. There were 8 people, 6 guys and two girls. The boat was divided myself and three Canadian guys fishing in the back and the rest in the front either hangover, sick, or seasick. One girl wasn’t ready for what fishing entailed. Right as we caught our first tuna, I leaned down and gaffed it out of the water she started to cry… Understandable due to how the first fish went down. We caught the fish pulled it in; when I gaffed it, it started to bleed. Walter the captain grabbed it and washed it off tossed it into the boat. Well it was still alive and started to flap around thus spray blood all over everything haha... The 4 in the front was not impressed. Haha we got it down pat for the rest of the fish we caught a total of 5 nice size tunas and kept them to eat. We were mainly using a hand line which is a blast to fight a fish on, much more entertaining than just a rod. We got back to land I kept one for myself, one was a tip for Walter the captain, and the rest was taking to a restaurant for dinner. We met back up and went and ate fish tacos for dinner. Was pretty good, kind of expensive since we caught the fish. Very nice group of people mainly from Canada.

WWW.WHERESFLETCH.COM
Old 01-16-2012, 08:25 AM   #105
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Laugh Nicaragua pics!!!!

HE WOULD ONLY RACE FOR PINKS, I WAS TOO SCARED TO LOSE MY BIKE...

LEON, NICA- CENTER

A LITTLE CROSSING.. JUST KNEE DEEP..

MY BUDDY BEN'S SURF LODDGE

END OF A RAD FIRST DAY OF BOATING AND SURFING

NICE FINISH TO THE DAY

HAND LINING IT

FRONT OF THE BOAT.. NOT SO STOKED

CAPTAIN WALTER IS PUMPED TO BE STOKED ON THE BOAT WITH HIS FLIPPY FLOPPIES ON

GREG'S READY TO GAFF IT UP

OH YEAH GET'N SUM

OUR DINNER

CAUGHT THESE ON THE HANDLINE NO BIG DEAL..HAHA