User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2011, 05:14 AM   #16
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,885
Can't ride that very far

I'm still snickering at the Dumb Ass at the Trail Of Tears BMW rally a few weeks ago who strolled past my little 250 trying not to acknowledge it was even there.

He stopped long enough to say "You couldn't ride that thing very far"

Thinking he had impressed all by-standers he quickly disappeared.
But not before my buddy Tom Huff who was standing there informed him I had rode it to Alaska and back this year.

2013 Husky 650 TR650 Terra

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 10-22-2011 at 05:34 AM
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:29 AM   #17
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,707
+100 on riding in central Missouri in the fall. Its one of my all time most favorite places in the whole USA. Amazing rolling twisty immaculate roads thru incredible forests, but with one thing missing: traffic. Its a place that recharges my emotional battery every time I visit. Next year, I'm gonna stay in those woods for an entire week! The dirt road, two-track, and trail options are just endless throughout the Mark Twain Nat'l. Forest.

We made a lot of nice spring-fed creek crossings on our way up to Potosi, as well....

....and rolled into the rally grounds about 3:00pm on Friday. After staking claim to a campsite, I headed on over to the Gateway BMW tent for a reunion. I must tell you how impressed I am with these fine folks at Gateway BMW. They have restored the meaning of value in a dealership (at least to me). Their support has been stellar.....even though I live far away from them, in another state. Bob Honz runs a top notch operation and goes beyond the expected, to make sure I'm a happy customer. Honestly, its quite refreshing. Thanks Honz!

I was anxious to see what new demo bikes Gateway had brought for me to "get dirty" this year. Without missing a beat, Honz says, "why don't you take this one out.....and come back in about 3 hours or so." He didn't have to ask twice.

This is the new Husky 511. A street legal barrel of fun. I had never ridden one of these new-millenium Huskys. Man, I was looking forward to this, and quickly found a nice secluded back-road that led to some fantastic rough single track in the mountains. WOWeewee was I ever impressed with this bike. I thought it would be way over powered for tight single track. All the 450+ woods bikes I've owned &/or ever ridden were like nitro rockets when you hit the power band.

But THIS bike was different.....in a very good way. The motor was velvet smooth with linear power delivery, which I find very useful. To be sure, it has more power than I would ever need. Fortunately, they designed this motor to make all of the power actually useful....on demand. This was the lightest feeling big-bore Thumper I've ridden to date. Very nimble and stable.....had the feel of a 250 on the trails. The ergos fit me great, and even the seat felt comfy. The brakes were awesome. But it was the superior Traction which was the highlight. Unless you get crazy stupid with it, you just can't break the rear-end loose. It sticks like glue to everything. They've got something special going on down below in the linkage system....I don't know what it is, but it just plain works awesome!

I was not expecting to like the bike, but I did....and a whole lot. The six-speed gearbox was plenty long to run down the pavement at 65 mph. While the motor was comfortable doing so, the rider was not. There was just too much vibration in the bars to ride long distances like that. So, it wouldn't make a DS touring bike for me......but Husky has definitely moved onto my radar screen for a plated woods bike in the future. Its on my short list now.

Next up, I had to do something I've never done before (I know....again): ride one of these:

This was the brand spanking new full-on Adventure model. And now, I finally know what all the hub-bub is about.....why this is the best selling model in their lineup. Ho-chi-momma nice! Endless smooth power in a BIG way. Very comfy. Everything fit. Really didn't feel as large and bulky as I thought it would, especially after all the "whale" comments I've read. I don't think I'd have any problem riding this bike in the usual off-pavement places (like rough Nat'l Forest roads and two-track). But that's just me. To be certain, its not as nimble as my F800. However, If I ever got me another predominantly "road" bike, I think this would be it.

Since I liked the Husky 511 so much, Honz called for reinforcements from St. Louis......he ordered down the new 310 (?) for me to "break-in" on Saturday. But I unexpectedly stood him up. That seems to be a consistent theme for me on Saturdays at this Falling Leaf Rally. For the first time ever at this event, I had a horrible night of sleep. Some Jellyhead brought his boom box and played Marty Robbins songs all night long directly behind my hammock....while he & his misfits drank beer and partied till 3:00 am. I got NO sleep at all, and was repressing the urge to ride my bike right through his tent Saturday morning. I don't think I'll ever like Marty Robbins again. Just sayin.

So, there I am zombie-like eating an early breakfast in the rally hall, when the BigDog plops down at my table across from me. I didn't really know if he was coming....we never spoke about it or made any plans. Figured he wrote me off after bailing on him (unannounced) last year. I felt badly about that. Anyway, not being one to mince words, he says "Let's get the heck out of here!" Goodbye rally friends...two's company, three's a crowd.

HF

p.s. I had to notify Mr. Ducati that he was now officially on his own. Said "see you back in Okiehoma some day. Don't know where I'm going...don't care as long as its away from here." Figured he could find someone to ride with in a crowd of 400 bikes, and even find his way home to OKC. I knew there would be no way he could follow us on his Multi. I was counting on going deep.
Athena Big Bore Project

HighFive screwed with this post 10-22-2011 at 08:21 AM
HighFive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:40 AM   #18
malibu_dan
Adventuring Mystic

Oddometer: 1,497
Holy Majoly! Two of my favoright ADV journalists in one RR?!?! I'm sooooooooo in!
Old 10-22-2011, 11:24 AM   #19
Gunslinger1
GIVE'R

Oddometer: 627
...........Bring it on boyz........great story...serendipty at its Best.....
Gunslinger1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:56 PM   #20
Monty
Calm Like a Bomb

Oddometer: 199

Subscribed.

Looks great so far. I am going to have to make it to Missouri soon.

GO!
Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:50 PM   #21
irvfr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Cool!!! It seems you'd a lot of fun
irvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:26 AM   #22
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter

Further West

After riding thru the neat old train tressel we headed Further West
with the 2nd rider always laying back to stay out of the dust.

A Spring waypoint popped up on my gps screen that I put on there years ago and we would be riding right by it.
We had to beat it thru the bush to find this one. A pump house building was built right on top of the spring.
No one lived here anymore---the spring seemed to be dried up--maybe that is why they left.

I've marked over a hundred springs thru-out Missouri with topo mapping software---I been to a lot of them,
but plan to try and find them all some day.

There was an old abandoned mobile home and old diesel tractor.
At one time a pretty neat little hideout.

This is the Dilliard grist mill----we ran on a little one lane dirt road behind the mill that I knew of.
All the tourists park in the parking lot to the North of the Mill--it was beautiful back there
and gave you a neat view of the old mill and river. This mill is still run today for entertainment purpose only.
I've seen it run--the lady turns a big wheel handle and water starts flowing thru the water motor and gets all the belts
and shaft rotating in the mill----it's a sight to see.

Next up is Bo's Hollow --------a trip back in time.
I'll let High Five catch up to here-----then we got a lot to say about Bo's Hollow.

Right now---I'm going riding---another beautiful day in the Shawnee Forest of
Southern Illinois.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:34 PM   #23
Midnightventure
-

Oddometer: 733
I tried to get to Dillard Mill from the back last year but didn't make it. Got to a point where there was a big tree across the trail and a fence on the left and a sharp drop off on the right. I had to be close but since I was by myself i turned around and went all those miles back to civilization. Was it hard to get through this year?
Midnightventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:42 PM   #24
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Whistle Dixie

BigDog....are you gonna post those photos or whistle dixie?

When we saw this old tractor, I think we discovered why this old homestead was abandoned. It has a rather peculiar exhaust discharge modification.....probably didn't meet OSHA standards. But what do I know?

We rode lots of dirty dusty backroads what went criss-crossing all over & around, like traversing a plate of spaghetti across central & southwestern Mizzou. The dust.... ....was really bad. I had to lay back about 1/2 mile to cut the particulate intake down from suffocating to just annoying. A few months back, they were having record floods around here, now, its a dust bowl. This got me thinking about those 40+ riders we passed back in Potosi that were headed nose to tail down a dirt road on an "official rally ride". They went right, so we turned left. I reckon that was the extent of the Captain's navigational planning.

Don't know how far we went...never keep daily stats. I don't care about that stuff. Don't ask me for Tracks, I never save those either. As far as my Garmin 60CSX goes, I own a Cadillac and drive it like a Volkswagon. Maybe some day, I'll read the manual.

After a several hours, I was really getting into the "wilderness zone". Then suddenly, without warning, we entered the Amusement Park of the Ozarks. A place crawling with people competing for a spot in the stream. It was called: Montauk State Park. Very pretty spot with some nice twisty paved roads running through it. But you can't go fast, they've got rules and a Leo to enforce them. Must be one of those Trout Farms I've heard about....where they dump the fish out of the hatchery into these headwaters. There were an awful lot of fisherman shoulder-to-shoulder in places. Felt like the game Monopoly, and we drew a "Go to Jail" card. We were lucky though, cause it said Just Visiting.

I'm thinking it would be a real nice spot to hang my hammock.....if there weren't no other people, or buildings, or paved roads. Nor Rules on wood signs everwhere. I've never quite understood signs like this:

You can't do something on one side of the sign.....which you can do on the other side. Are there little signs under water.....the new-fangled picture kind (without words).....identifying this line of demarcation below the surface....so the fish are aware of this policy?

Oh well....twasn't long after departing this ant-hill, that we vanished from the radar (again) and discovered a real diamond in the rough. It was a Big Score for a couple of old dogs.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project

HighFive screwed with this post 10-23-2011 at 08:08 PM
Old 10-23-2011, 06:47 PM   #25
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightventure View Post
I tried to get to Dillard Mill from the back last year but didn't make it. Got to a point where there was a big tree across the trail and a fence on the left and a sharp drop off on the right. I had to be close but since I was by myself i turned around and went all those miles back to civilization. Was it hard to get through this year?
Actually we didn't get all the way thru-----I think I missed a small turnoff and we went back North----I did get thru there 2 years ago on my Husky Te610.

Mark
Old 10-23-2011, 07:03 PM   #26
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter

Bo's Hollow

I can't whistle Dixie--so I better post these pics

Bo's Hollow
N37 25.256
W91 40.977

Probably the neatest thing all weekend.

I went real slow by this place----a gave it a triple take.
I really wanted to stop and look it over---but kept going.
I didn't know Scott very well and I think I thought he would rather keep riding---wrong.

We both went back and stayed an hour and a half soaking this place up.

"Bo's Hollow"
"A step back in time"
Bo's hollow is a 1930's village built so you may take a step back in time. They are restoring the past and preserving the future.
It's miles down a one lane dirt road that few go down---a road your mom and dad would probably avoid
in the family sedan.

It is just a few miles South of Montauk state park on Ashley creek road---a tiny little dirt road.

All vehicles on the property run---all of them. The nice ones are put up every night.

This is a working windmill pump. The wind turns the blade--which in turn, turns a cranshaft that pushed a rod up and down.
This rod is attached to an ordinary hand pump at ground level and out comes the water.
It is then pumped into the wooden water tank.

All the stuff you see below is for your viewing pleasure.
Bo will even fix you a paper sack lunch of Barbecue and give you a ride in one of the old cars and take you down to Ashley creek
for a picnic----now how cool is that.

Me and Scott stayed at Bo's hollow for at least an hour---poking around at all the stuff.
This place just makes you relax. I really didn't know Scott all that well but soon learned that he loved slowing down and stopping
to smell the roses as they say.
Some of the old things we saw I remember well when I was a kid.
The air station below I can remember---you crank up how much pressure you want to put in your tire--then stick the air hose
to your tire and it will put that exact amount of pressure

This place is the farthest thing from a tourist trap you could get.
It's a family wanting to share the past with anyone that would slow down
and stop and say hi.

This is the sweetest lady I ever met-----Lynn I believe. I jsut wanted to hug her.
She told us the whole story of how here and her husband Bo and kids built and worked this place.
They can't be getting rich here----I sensed they just love the good old times and relished sharing it with others.

Scott kept prodding me to ask if they would give us a ride in one of these---I hated to bother and asked to sit in one.
I would love to drive one----the sound of the motor is so relaxing---like and old tractor motor.

Now here is Blondie---she's a sweety too.
I came out from where Bo's son made Scott a Barbecue sandwich and Blondie was sitting there with those sad eyes.
"Nobody ever scratches me"
"Would you scratch me" ?????

Me and Blondie made friends as I had a rootbeer.

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 10-23-2011 at 07:11 PM
Old 10-23-2011, 09:03 PM   #27
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Border Line Livin'

Bo's Hollow was like drilling into pay-dirt, for me! Way back when.....I graduated college with a Petroleum Engineering degree and went to work for Conoco. I ended up in the downstream side of the business and crossed the nation building pipelines, gas stations, & playing refinery engineer. So, I have an honest love for old Conoco artifacts. And, let me tell you, Bo's Hollow has one of the greatest collections of true vintage Conoco signage and equipment that I've ever seen in the private sector, outside the official Conoco Museum.

I was stunned and nearly speechless at the prime condition of this stuff. Its rather hard to find one of the original chevron symbols of the Conoco logo. That may sound confusing for those familiar with the Chevron brand of gasoline. But that's unrelated to what Conoco (i.e. Continental Oil Company) called their original logo.....the chevron logo.....the upside down triangle. Years later, it was changed to the more modern version you still see around today.

These weren't just logos recreated.....these were actual (original) Conoco gasoline pumps in working condition. A stunning find! As good or maybe even better condition than what's in the Conoco Museum in Bartlesville, OK.

When I was a teenager, I worked as a service attendant at my local, small town, Conoco gas station. Back when we pumped your gas, checked your oil, and cleaned your windshield.....complimentary for the 30 cent per gallon gasoline purchase. One hundred times a day, I used this air compressor dial gauge:

Worked better than anything I've ever seen attached to a station air hose in modern times. It worked flawless every time, and I never saw it broken a single time. I even used the same chamois squeegy station, that BigDog showed earlier. This whole retreat to the past was an incredibly nostalgic experience for me. It brought me great joy this day. Golly.....I even wanted to ride the pony (again)! I was even "geared up" for it.

Didn't take me long to sniff out the BBQ and wonderful Beef Jerky. Five dollars for your choice: a complete BBQ meal (sandwich, chips, & drink) or a big package of jerky.

I couldn't decide....so I had both, and then some. VERY good, all of it. This ain't no grocery store jerky either. None of that junk made in New York City. No sir, this jerky is the bona fide REAL DEAL. The Old Fashioned flavor was off the chart good.....my favorite so far. I'm still chewing on some Bourbon flavour even while I type this here note in the RR.

Today was Border Line Livin'. It just scored a 10 and we weren't even done with our day yet.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
Old 10-23-2011, 09:25 PM   #28
roarin calhoun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Hay BigDog, my wife & I met you and your chiropractor pal at the Lochsa Lodge during your "Long Way Up" trip in Idaho a few years ago. I had a GS then.Have a Tenere now(LOVE IT! )Am LOVING this Missouri trip of yours. Used to ride the upper midwest a lot. Think next year about this time as Idaho passes get snowy,we'll head to these areas you're showing. Looks GREAT. Love those old rural areas & the people in'em. Am feeling a little bit of envy, a common response among your viewers, I bet. Thanks. Keep up the good works !
roarin calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:02 PM   #29
motowest
Two-wheeled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,279
Good stuff guys! Keep it comin'....
motowest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:59 PM   #30
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,215
Subscribed.... this ride report is like a time machine... Great stuff thanks for the effort!

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009935
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote