Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2011, 02:06 PM   #31
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,636
Oh....one more thing. Don't go searching for Bo's Hollow in the winter months. They only roll out the relics and fire up the smoker between April 1st and October 31st. Its shutdown and put away the rest of the year.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:24 PM   #32
Vinnie the Snake
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,093
In for the RR, Like always, picks and the story are the best.

Whats the grade on the Klim gear? I'm getting alot of miles out of mine!!.

2008 - Vintage TAT - Ut, Nv, Or
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331983

2009 - Vintage TAT - NC, Tn, Ms, Ar
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=507149

2010 - Unfinished Business Tour - TAT, CDR Shadow of the Rockies
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615279
Vinnie the Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:32 PM   #33
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie the Snake View Post

Hey Vinnie--------the Klim is a 10 for me---I think it's the best stuff out there. I can't see me buying anything else anymore.
I've got 3 different styles of their pants---awesome.

Mark
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:35 PM   #34
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roarin calhoun View Post
Hay BigDog, my wife & I met you and your chiropractor pal at the Lochsa Lodge during your "Long Way Up" trip in Idaho a few years ago. I had a GS then.Have a Tenere now(LOVE IT! )Am LOVING this Missouri trip of yours. Used to ride the upper midwest a lot. Think next year about this time as Idaho passes get snowy,we'll head to these areas you're showing. Looks GREAT. Love those old rural areas & the people in'em. Am feeling a little bit of envy, a common response among your viewers, I bet. Thanks. Keep up the good works !
Yes---I remember you-----a friend of mine rode the Tenere and loved it.
Like I said---come to Southern Missouri and stay in the Southern end and it's beautiful.

Mark
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
Old 10-24-2011, 04:09 PM   #35
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,859
+1 on the klim jacket, best piece of kit I've ever bought for riding or otherwise.

One of these days i hope to go for a real ride with you both. Theyre supposed to give me my degree this fall if I'm good and work hard so hopefully I'll have time and a little bit of money to head west... maybe stay this time... For the time being... Subscribed :
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:17 AM   #36
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter

More Saturday riding

We stopped and laughed at this sign---and a guy came out to see what we were doing and had a side arm on his hip.
Seem people have tried to steal his sign---really nice guy and we had a long talk about things.
He had a very big Arabian horse ranch--this was just a few miles South of Bo'l Hollow.

The fall colors were turning pretty good.

The Sun was going down and we were headed to a big ranch where a new aquaintance had invited us to stay and camp.

Me and Scott arrived at the ranch about 2 hours before sunset and took the opportunity for Stuart (owner of the ranch) to
take me and Scotts picture together.

Scott by the way owns a Yamaha WR250R like mine--except his is the most modified one on the planet.
He is very smart-----unlike me--dumber than a dirt clod.

This is the old Pebble Dam Lodge and would be me and Stuarts home for the night.

Stuart grilled up the best Braughts me and Scott ever tasted them and we enjoyed them with a rip roaring fire later in the evening.

This is a beautiful ranch--with a couple guest house on the grounds.

Stuart had sent out an invite to the whole AdvRider world to camp at his place this weekend.
Me and Scott were the only ones that showed up.
We really wish we had forgot the BMW rally and just came here.

Scott wasn't about to sleep inside and set up his hammock out in the trees. He said it was the most comfortable thing
he had ever slept in.

The whole place was way off a seldom traveled dirt road and was perfectly silent.
Scott told me of a story when he was sleeping in his hammock and a black bear was sniffing at the bottom of it.
He stayed very still---and it walked away.

The fall colors were almost in full bloom---man I loved this place.

Me and Stuart.
What a nice guy to invite us to camp at his place.
He had a BMW F650 X-Country.

Scott's hammock setup---he told me a story that had my hair standing out about a black bear sniffing
the bottom of his hammock once.

Yes---I was roughing it---but survived.

KTM 690 Enduro 2014
Old 10-25-2011, 10:28 AM   #37
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie the Snake View Post

Hey there Vinnie.....good to hear from you. I think my Klim pants are the Dakar model, but I ain't certain. I like them real fine and they've shown no serious signs of wear in 1 1/2 years of hard duty. Three things make them most desirable: 1) large space to accommodate knee guards 2) velcro adjustable cuffs to set the spacing over your boots just the way you want it 3) big long vent zippers up the thighs that really flow some air to help keep you cool on a warm day. All good.

I have a Klim jacket too....strapped on the back of my seat. Its waterproof, breathable, sleevable, warm &/or cool, and fits over my Koerta pressure suit very comfortably....and still purdy enough to wear to church on Sunday. I love it!

I think the jacket BigDog is wearing in most the photos is his Kilimanjaro.....not a Klim. But, I could be mistaken. I really didn't look at it that closely.

The Klim clothing and my Sidi Discovery Rain boots are wonderfully comfortable and great performing in every way.

HF
Old 10-25-2011, 12:32 PM   #38
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

A good horse is never a bad color

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears" ...... Arabian Proverb

Aaaah yes indeed.....the "dog" sign. Another worthy stop, as we soon discovered, though not without some tense moments.

[IMG][/IMG]

As BigDog mentioned, no sooner had we taken our photo of the month, and the landowner pops right out of the bushes packing some serious iron! And he wasn't bearing crumpets and tea, mind you. He thought he just caught and old dog and a young dog stealing his signpost. But, he soon learned it was just two stupid dogs, driving around slowly....who (by design) had lost their way.

We were a wily pair of mutts, though. Whilst 'ol BD distracted this sheriff, I was able to sneak a photo unseen. With beady eyes and a twitchy finger, I wasn't taking my protective gear off:

Swear I'd seen him somewhere before, but eh....what do I know. Claimed his name was Gary, and was running a little horse operation. The longer we chatted, the more he warmed up to us, and the bigger the operation grew. By the time it was over, we had free run of this Ponderosa...all 6,000 acres! He did mention we were only the 2nd motorcycle(s) to ever pass by his property in all his years....at least that he was aware. First guy was bad lost and desperately wanted to know where the closest blacktop was. Unfortunately, he was out of luck.

Now, I happen to know a thing or three about horses. You could say its one of my "departments" back at Rancho Highfive. So, believe me when I tell you....Mr. Wales here is running some kind of serious operation. This was the Ashley Creek Horse Company: home of AA Aly Khyzann, a very famous Khysus Arabian horse. Just think of the movie "Ben Hur" and remember the white horses pulling Charlton Heston's chariot in the race.

And we were speaking to none other than Gary Seago himself! Seriously, we are two STUPID dogs, for not asking to see his horses. Certifiable, I say. Here's a few pics of his fine ranch:

I could have happily hung my hammock right here. But, WunderDog orders "onward mush" and off we go to some other cave of wonders. Certainly tweren't no complaints from me, as we stabled our ponies for the night right up this secluded drive:

The accommodations were dandy indeed.

I was grateful to be offered this private bunkhouse with plenty of room to spread out.

But, I preferred another night in my hammock in near solitude....with only an owl hooting and some deer walking by as I swung in the late night breeze. Just too good to pass up!

We enjoyed a nice camp fire with some of the best bratwurst I've ever eatin....slam dunk, no contest! Studad served 'em up in grand style.

Then, enjoyed thrilling tales of the trail, as the BigDog retraced his great Alaskan expedition. Things are always better in person.

Man, did I ever sleep good this night. Those rally grounds in Potosi seemed like a week & a whole world away...

HF

He dipped his head
and snorted at us.

We heard the miniature
thunder where he fled,

And we saw him...
Dim and gray,

Like a shadow...

-Robert Frost-

HighFive screwed with this post 10-25-2011 at 12:47 PM
Old 10-25-2011, 02:12 PM   #39
studad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 797
I take no credit for the brats; I merely grilled them. Swiss meat co of Swiss, Mo did the heavy lifting. I suggest all you FF give 'em a call and place an order.
studad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:38 PM   #40
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter

That guy is a lyin'-----he's got that look in his face.

He Photoshops his travel pictures---lies about them--and makes his compadre's lie about them too.
Gunslinger1 will testify to that---he's seen it in person.

Sneaky old dog he is----that Perro Grande.

He rides a KLR every where he goes---and photoshops a big KTM in the picture.

His wife needs to shorten his leash

KTM 690 Enduro 2014

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 10-25-2011 at 02:44 PM
Old 10-25-2011, 02:41 PM   #41
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by studad View Post
I take no credit for the brats; I merely grilled them. Swiss meat co of Swiss, Mo did the heavy lifting. I suggest all you FF give 'em a call and place an order.
My mouth is slobbering thinkin about those brats---never tasted anything so good.

Thanks again Stuart------If you every put an invite out again to your rancho----they'll be a hundred riders show up.
Better buy some more brats.

I suppose next up is my ride home---and Scotts ride home---except Scott hung around with Stuart and explored his ranch
before heading home---and I headed out right after O' turd thirty---lot's more to tell.

Mark
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
Old 10-25-2011, 02:56 PM   #42
Vinnie the Snake
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post

Aaaah yes indeed.....the "dog" sign. Another worthy stop, as we soon discovered, though not without some tense moments.

[IMG][/IMG]

I have whitnessed the Bad Dog, Big Dog, Little Dog, Wild Dog and so on conversations. Love the sign!!!!!

2008 - Vintage TAT - Ut, Nv, Or
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331983

2009 - Vintage TAT - NC, Tn, Ms, Ar
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=507149

2010 - Unfinished Business Tour - TAT, CDR Shadow of the Rockies
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615279
Vinnie the Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:49 PM   #43
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Told Mark....should he ever publish his autobiography, he should name it: "Dogs I Have Known!"

And this sign would make for some great chapter headings:

Old Dogs

Young Dogs

Several Stupid Dogs

Please Drive Slowly

...and you could add more. Think there is some real traction here. But now, he'd owe me royalties. I know all about the publishing business. I've been working in the printing industry for many years....making books, no less. Hhhhmmmmm...wonder if anyone would buy it?

HF
Old 10-26-2011, 03:47 AM   #44
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter

Ride Home

Ride Home.

I'm an early riser and was actually all packed up by the time the sun came up but hung around long enough to have breakfast.
But I would head back East to home and Scott would head back West to home in Oklahoma.
This is the river right below the cabin and there is a dam there. It used to have a hyrdro electric plant here that powered the lodge,
way before the nearby town had electricity. Stuart said they have plans to build another hyro electric plant and put it back as
it was back in the 30's.

Just a really interesting place with lots of history.

You can see it's still early as the early morning fog starts to lift and the KTM V-twin rumbles down the curvy blacktop.
I was estatic with the morning.

This is the Harlow Ford---I tried to cross this years ago on my BMW 1150GS and seriously could have drowned.
It was very slippery---I went down and the bike and hard panniers (which I refuse to use anymore) had me pinned
with only my head barely out of the water. My buddies riding behind me eventually pulled up and got the bike off
me and got it back to shore---we couldn't get across it.

I was alone today----and the rocks under the water today still looked slick---it would have been foolish for me to try it and I didn't.

Just a bit down stream it was way too deep.

I was wandering home---just going here and there sort of heading East-------sort of !!!
I've never heard of this before in m life---and I spent about 3 hours poking around here--and hit one dead end road after the other.
But the ridng was very good---and I had gas !!!!

One of the dead ends I hit at the current river. A perfect camp spot was here. I marked it with my gps and rode on.

I thought I was getting near the Current river again and the Akers ferry crossing.

This ferry had been shut down a lot this year from high water and I didn't know if it was running or not.

I pushed the button on the pole to call the ferry operator and it takes quite a bit of time for him to drive down here and come over to get you. Push it once and he'll be there as soon as he can----keep ringing it a whole bunch and he may go on break

I thought of the movie Josey Wales here and for fun asked him if he ever saw the movie and he replied in Clint Eastwood style.
"This is what we call the Missourah Boat Ride"
I laughed so hard I about peed my pants.

We maybe this is the neatest thing I saw all weekend.

You climb down and down and down the stairs to the bottom of Devils Well.
It was awesome.

You end up here at a locked gate---if you went past the gate if it was open---you'd fall down into the water to your death I'm sure.
My wife would have never come down here---it was spooky.
The stairs are getting in bad shape--and with the lack of money to keep stuff like this repaired I look to see it
closed off and shut down.

Looking up the really steep stairs from the bottom.
These stairs are so steep---if you tripped you would just fall and tumble to the bottom.
Somebody will break a nail before to long--and they'll shut it down.

Up top was a nice little pond---I thought this was the Devils Well when I first got here---nice picnic spot here.
Man it's nice out here---little did I know that Scott was poking around going home to and was finding neat stuff.

I found this little spring down a one lane rutted and rocky dead end dirt road---thanks to Mr. GPS.

The weather was so nice--the fall colors so pretty and I sensed the end of a good October riding season.
You just have so many---better slow down and smell the roses.

I came to the Mississippi river in St. Genevieve, Missouri and waited for the ferry--but had a few barges to wait on.

Back in Illinois------I love the color of the yellow beans in the field.

It was very sad to see this day end.

Very nice weekend---thanks Stuart and Scott.

I think Scott has more to tell of his ride home-----I got home in the dark--but Scott got home way later than that.

We both skidded in sideways,-----cold, tired, hungry, and dirty---the way I like it.

My rear Rally Raid tire was pretty much toast---so the next night I spooned on a 150/18 Mefo Mofo Explorer----I'll give that tire a shot----so she's ready to run again---I had already put one on the front not long ago.

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 10-26-2011 at 03:54 AM
Old 10-26-2011, 05:00 AM   #45
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,728
Wow, great RR. I'm going to have to go thru it again. Made my morning. Thanks for sharing.
I think at one time or another I've been by every place you went.
I really think I've seen the "dogs" sign, although I was probably in a big hurry and didn't slow down to even get a picture.
I missed the weekend you guys were out. I was down in Fayetteville, visiting my son, the "environmental scientist" he's almost done. Although now he's talking about grad school..
When you went thru the culvert, and headed north to the dead end, did your gps show you could keep going? Mine did, and the gate was open, but it didn't really look like it went anywhere..
That old town, Bo's Hollow, wasn't open when I went through there. Wish it would have been. Guess I have to go back.
studad's place looks awesome. I cut across his property the last time I was by there. Didn't realize it though. I was amazed he identified the place I crossed the Jack's Fork river.. My guess is, if he has another weekend where he invites AdvRiders in, he will have a few more takers.

I wish my weekends would line up a bit better with yours. I'd like to tag along on one of your adventures, instead of semi tag along by riding your tracks. Ha.

Thanks again for sharing this, made my morning.

Jeff
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote