Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2011, 06:43 AM   #226
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 12,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by h14xl View Post
Well I've managed to convince another co-worker ahead of me in seniority not to take the first two weeks of July, so that just increased my odds of making it. Still won't know for sure for another week or so, so in the meantime I'll continue to lurk in the shadows.
Excellent news Kevin!!

Here's a little tip on spare cables. fish the cable into its proper location and tie it off with zipties. It's out of the way and already installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOD3MC View Post
I found this in Road Trips ride report... http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=738770
Read that yesterday and am even more upset about my GS... Seems a KLR shorted the harness in exactly the same way, had to be towed and a local mechanic had him on the road in less than half a day and I think I read 90$.
Edit"The fix. Turns out the wire harness had been chafing against the frame. Must have been at it for some time, just so happens it finally gave out and shorted out the electrical system … right at the rest stop. Eighty dollar fix at the shop and we're on our way. I wont mention how much the tow was …."
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:49 PM   #227
EOD3MC
What will break next

Oddometer: 4,658
If it makes you feel any better JAX, I had the same thing happen to me at the Cat Herder II campout....

But I....
Didn't need a tow...
Stripped the bike down to engine and frame
Found the worn wire
Fixed it
Replaced the fuse
and had the whole bike put back together in less than 1 hour....

( I did have a couple people lend a hand and a few more find a replacement fuse since I didn't have one)

KLR...the VW Bug of the motorcycle world
Old 11-05-2011, 06:45 PM   #228
EOD3MC
What will break next

and hopefully I never have to do that again....
Old 11-06-2011, 05:53 AM   #229
joints4sale
No. Not "That Kind".

Oddometer: 2,991
Any thoughts on a starting point for our trip? Morton's? Bob's?
Erik : IBA #40645---BMW135i FOR SALE<---CLICK
"If my life or death depends on getting Bruce or Dana on the phone then I'm gonna die." RFlagg42
2011 TC449, 2014 S1000R, 2010 R1200GSA 30th Anniversary Edition, 2003 Ktm 625sxc(gone), 1999 DR350(gone), 2007 K1200GT (traded for the GSA). 2004 R1150R (traded for the GT)
joints4sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:09 AM   #230
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 5,067
I think you should be more concerned with the TIME than the place.

This is his modus operandi:

Translab departure 2011:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=20

Newfoundland 2010:
Quote:
We left spritely early today
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...87&postcount=4

Nothing (ad)ventured, Nothing Gained
Everything you want is on the other side of fear.
Dorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:20 AM   #231
JaxObsessed

Quote:
But I....
Didn't need a tow...
Stripped the bike down to engine and frame
Found the worn wire
Fixed it
Replaced the fuse
and had the whole bike put back together in less than 1 hour....
Hows that supposda make me feel better?

I am considering a Japanese bike for my dualsport. And I will never let the dealer touch my bike again. I thought it would expedite the process at a price... NOT> Like Bruce said, I should've done the work myself, but I was feeling lazy and have no experience with these complex electrical systems.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:35 PM   #232
blaster11 OP
Enabler

Oddometer: 6,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by joints4sale View Post
Can we get Morton's to Sponsor us? Morton's seems like a good kick off point since most of the folks riding out are in the SoMD area and we can pick up Gastone in Fred. The only one right now which is a ways out is RFlagg42 but I am sure we can work that minor detail out.
blaster11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:46 PM   #233
blaster11 OP
Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxObsessed View Post
I am considering a Japanese bike for my dualsport. And I will never let the dealer touch my bike again. I thought it would expedite the process at a price... NOT> Like Bruce said, I should've done the work myself, but I was feeling lazy and have no experience with these complex electrical systems.
The question really is what will it cost to bring it home and finish it yourself? I don't claim to be a master mechanic or anything but its still an air pump with some electrical doo dads attached. Keep it simple and trouble shoot as you would regularly and the fault will show up, a couple pieces of test kit would simplify things. Too many people over complicate the electronic part of a modern bike and allow it to scare them. It can be done and there are many parts bikes roaming around you just need to be patient sometimes. We will get you going again..I promise!!!!
Old 11-06-2011, 01:42 PM   #234
JaxObsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster11 View Post
The question really is what will it cost to bring it home and finish it yourself?
I don't claim to be a master mechanic or anything but its still an air pump with some electrical doo dads attached. Keep it simple and trouble shoot as you would regularly and the fault will show up, a couple pieces of test kit would simplify things. Too many people over complicate the electronic part of a modern bike and allow it to scare them. It can be done and there are many parts bikes roaming around you just need to be patient sometimes. We will get you going again..I promise!!!!
Thank you Sir.
I am calling on Tuesday with that exact question. Thanks for the encouragement. I too am not a master mechanic, but I have a life long trial and error mechanical background. Adhock master is the best that you could describe me. I've been taking shit apart since 1974, and successfully putting it back together since 1979!
I would have my bike running by now, if I had kept it. I just honestly thought the dealer would expedite the time frame.

EDIT:
Sorry for the hijack.
I am in for next weekend's planning session.
Did any planning get done on Saturday?
Seems like a gathering of INs
ceptin Lance.

JaxObsessed screwed with this post 11-06-2011 at 02:12 PM
Old 11-06-2011, 02:40 PM   #235
lakota
Geeser

Oddometer: 2,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by joints4sale View Post
I am thinking I will head west on 70 and go SW from St Louis, following the SO Md riders progress on spot and attempt to rendezvous on Day 2. going via La Plata adds 40 or so miles to the ride which equates to 2 or 3 orders of magnitude more riding than my budget will allow.
IBA #42016

my ride reports

follow my ride

lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 03:02 PM   #236
blaster11 OP
Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxObsessed View Post
Thank you Sir.
I am calling on Tuesday with that exact question. Thanks for the encouragement. I too am not a master mechanic, but I have a life long trial and error mechanical background. Adhock master is the best that you could describe me. I've been taking shit apart since 1974, and successfully putting it back together since 1979!
I would have my bike running by now, if I had kept it. I just honestly thought the dealer would expedite the time frame.

EDIT:
Sorry for the hijack.
I am in for next weekend's planning session.
Did any planning get done on Saturday?
Seems like a gathering of INs
ceptin Lance.
Outstanding! Nothing really official or coordinated just some basic banter and thoughts on the trip. I will try and get a few thoughts/questions together before the meeting, and hopefully everyone will as well, so as not to waste everyone's time and my maps should be in so that may help. Please come prepared and and well read on some of the ride reports and routes, the earlier we work out the kinks the more comfortable everyone will become.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakota View Post
I am thinking I will head west on 70 and go SW from St Louis, following the SO Md riders progress on spot and attempt to rendezvous on Day 2. going via La Plata adds 40 or so miles to the ride which equates to 2 or 3 orders of magnitude more riding than my budget will allow.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:28 PM   #237
lakota
Geeser

Oddometer: 2,958
Quote:
gee thanks

Dakar money sent
IBA #42016

my ride reports

follow my ride

lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 03:42 PM   #238
EOD3MC
What will break next

Quote:
Please come prepared and and well read on some of the ride reports and routes, the earlier we work out the kinks the more comfortable everyone will become.
Awww crap....no one said anything about homework
Old 11-06-2011, 05:27 PM   #239
blaster11 OP
Enabler

Quote:
Awww crap....no one said anything about homework
If I make you work for it you will want it more..at least that's what I read in the chic rule book.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:33 PM   #240
EOD3MC
What will break next

Quote:
If I make you work for it you will want it more..at least that's what I read in the chic rule book.
Where did you get a copy? I've been looking for that book for about 15 years now...I've heard they keep having to re-print it because the rules changed