User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2011, 09:56 PM   #1
redwards OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Concours into ADV bike?

I am new to riding and bought a 1986 Kawasaki Concours. I have noticed it is HORRIBLE/SCARY on gravel. What can I do to make this bike less scary and more comfortable gravel roads. Thanks for your time! Rick e
redwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:08 PM   #2
Uglydog56
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
sidecar?
Uglydog56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:24 PM   #3
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,910
tire selection, tire pressure, and on a bike that old, make sure the suspension actually works and rebuild it if needed.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:20 PM   #4
IRideASlowBike
Banned

Oddometer: 1,786
Trade it for a KLR. Nothing you do to that bike will make it good on gravel. The weight, 4-cylinder engine, lack of even mildly dirt-oriented tires in those sizes, and also the amount of shit that will break if you drop it makes it one of the worst "ADV" bikes possible.

If you still want to take it off-road on anything more serious than light gravel roads, get some crash bars from Murphs.

Source? I ride a 1990 Concours.
IRideASlowBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:07 AM   #5
redwards OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRideASlowBike View Post
Trade it for a KLR. Nothing you do to that bike will make it good on gravel. The weight, 4-cylinder engine, lack of even mildly dirt-oriented tires in those sizes, and also the amount of shit that will break if you drop it makes it one of the worst "ADV" bikes possible.

If you still want to take it off-road on anything more serious than light gravel roads, get some crash bars from Murphs.

Source? I ride a 1990 Concours.
I have new BT45s for tires and even ever so mildly rutted pea gravel on dirt scares the poop out of me! Like I said I am new to riding, in my mid 40s, healthy, and have a HUGE respect for not crashing or dropping my bike. Also, I am a teacher in MT so I am poor and don't see my wonderful wife saying...'sure, get what you need'. I guess I am interested in morphing what I have into something more capable if that is possible. Thoughts?
redwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:17 AM   #6
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,910
Just get out there and ride. Any street bike can handle gravel, it is simply a matter of getting comfortable with the bike sliding around a little bit underneath you. Fit some crash bars to protect the fairings in a drop (they should be cheap, look on ebay and the concourse owners group site and whatnot) and go!

Relax your shoulders, release the deathgrip you have on the bars, and take it easy. I had zero dirt riding experience when I moved to Saskatchewan and suddenly everything other than a major highway was gravel. I managed to ride on all sort of inappropriate machinery. Not quickly, mind you, but it was nice to get out and explore.

Five years later I took my FZ6 with its stupid wide 180 section rear tire on some nice gravel in Wisconsin with some dual sports and found myself sliding the rear on purpose on corner exit. It is fun. You'll get used to it.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:01 AM   #7
MrFurious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
As others have noted, there's no converting a Concours into an on/off-road bike. The biggest factors are the wheel size, limited suspension travel, and the steep steering head angle (rake).

Can it be ridden on graded gravel roads? Sure...as was said above, you just need to get comfortable with how the bike will handle and move around on gravel. Even true dual-sports dance around on gravel, so it's not an issue you're going to get away from with any modifications or changing bikes. Just slow down, relax, and ride within your limits.

All that said, if you're really wanting to ride a lot of gravel roads I'd really recommend you get something more suited to that use. The Conny is wide and heavy, and while you can stand up on the pegs it's really not a comfortable position to be in for very long due to the handlebar position.

MrFurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:10 AM   #8
Lank
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Learn to ride standing up, get some decent universal type tires, lower air pressure, keep weight to a minimum. That bike will go anywhere a GS will go if the rider wants to push it and is as willing to pick it up as GS riders are. I thought all bikes were (Adventure bikes)
Old 10-21-2011, 10:14 AM   #9
Hammerspur
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
G-10's are f-in' tanks!
Out on the open road at speed that feature disappears and they float like a butterfly.
At really low speeds, parking, pushing, etc. they are like herding a hippo with a broken leg, just the ticket for unpaved roadways... NOT!

About all one can do is watch the speed, work hard at it and pray!
Hammerspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:03 PM   #10
tjhess74
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 584
really? i thought my old c10 was great on gravel! she wiggled a bit but handled rather well for a heavy road bike. on the other hand, i think my c14 is atrocious on gravel. ive done some neglected backroads in colorado and north carolina with it and thought some of those rides would never end and would be lucky to make it out rubber side up. my avatar pic is the trail of tears in nc. most of that road is good, some really sucks on the c14!

i guess my advice would be to stay on the hardball until you get a better feel for the bike. maybe do some dirt biking to get used to how a bike handles on rocks.

my goal is to see how many gallons of dead dinosaurs i can send through my bike.
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
2007 Honda VFR800 RWB
tjhess74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:29 PM   #11
bobobob
badbadbad

Oddometer: 5,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by irideaslowbike View Post
trade it for a klr. Nothing you do to that bike will make it good on gravel. The weight, 4-cylinder engine, lack of even mildly dirt-oriented tires in those sizes, and also the amount of shit that will break if you drop it makes it one of the worst "adv" bikes possible.

If you still want to take it off-road on anything more serious than light gravel roads, get some crash bars from murphs.

Source? I ride a 1990 concours.
+1
bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:36 PM   #12
Worroll
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 761
Gotta get use to gravel/dirt. I was scared as poop the first time I had my FZ on a gravel road. But once I got used to it, I had no fear with my ZX14 on dirt. It is hard to get use to the bike squirming around. Taking a ride on a legit dirtbike may help with the confidence. The key is to let the bike do what it wants (within reason).
If you are planning on ALOT of gravel I would get a different bike, but if it's just a road here and there, I'd just get used to it.
Worroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:11 PM   #13
Lank
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Has a KLR Had a GS now I stick with fun bikes. My Norge will go wherever I want to take it and risk broken plastic, the CBR stays on the street as its too precious, the Bandit will go places that KLR's and GS's dare not to tred. Lower seat so a normal person can reach the ground. But I gotta admit I started riding in 1966 and I doubt if I saw a paved road for the first 5 years. Its all in the head! You generally survive a dirt accident...but hard road, excessive speed, traffic..not always. Dirt riding with a big bike is all about having room and being in a tall gear with the rear tire pushing, keep the throttle on and the brakes off
Attached Images

Lank screwed with this post 10-21-2011 at 01:14 PM Reason: add info
Lank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 03:44 PM   #14
Ultravoyageant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
I had a '00 Concours that I rode on gravel all of the time. I ride my FJ1100 quite a bit on gravel, and that's a 600# bike with sport touring rubber on it. I grew up in the country, on a gravel road, and I've been riding since I was 7 so I've been doing it for a long time. What you need to do is just practice on loose stuff to get used to it.

If the road is like many gravel roads its hard pack dirt with gravel that is spread inconsistently, due to vehicles pushing it out of the way. You can read the road, and after a while, you'll figure out what line will give you the least chance of sliding around. Its kind of like riding single track, either on a motorcycle, or a mountain bike (skiing too, come to think); After some trial and error, you'll begin to see which is the best line for you to take. The nice thing about gravel is unless you're hauling ass the lateral movement you get from the your tires is slow and predictable, and easily corrected. Its nothing like oil, wet leaves, or black ice-its a slow loss of grip. On a gravel road sans other vehicles and not going too fast, your ability to stay on two wheels is completely within your control.

Deep gravel roads take a little more work. I personally don't like them, and luckily for me there are none around to have to worry about. I've roamed about Montana a bit, and I don't recall many deep gravel roads out there either, but its been a while, and I've been wrong before.

Pretend your front brake doesn't exist. Seriously. Ride the bike on gravel the way you would drive an old car with rubbish brakes fast; Stopping to avoid something RIGHT NOW is no longer an option. Therefore, find a way over or around whatever is in your way.

Ride loose, never fixate, and never stiffen up on the bars.

Ride slower than you think you need to, until you're good at gravel. And even then don't haul ass. I rarely go over 30mph or out of second or third gear. Ride a taller gear than you normally would for your speed, to reduce the chance of the rear stepping out or the front pushing unexpectedly.

Practice, practice, practice.

Remember that your front brake does not exist on gravel. That lever you see on the right side of your bars? Purely a figment of your imagination, until you're back on pavement.

I enjoy riding on gravel, and while you may never get to that, if you do it right you at least won't get psyched out by some movement on your bike while riding on it. Good Luck!

Oscar Wilde

Ultravoyageant screwed with this post 10-21-2011 at 04:56 PM
Ultravoyageant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 04:09 PM   #15
IRideASlowBike
Banned

Oddometer: 1,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwards View Post
I have new BT45s for tires and even ever so mildly rutted pea gravel on dirt scares the poop out of me! Like I said I am new to riding, in my mid 40s, healthy, and have a HUGE respect for not crashing or dropping my bike. Also, I am a teacher in MT so I am poor and don't see my wonderful wife saying...'sure, get what you need'. I guess I am interested in morphing what I have into something more capable if that is possible. Thoughts?

OK, if you really want to go offroad on it? Take the plastics off (go "naked"). Crash bars, take the bags off. I'm pretty sure you won't find suitable tires though. Like everybody else said, you can go on a gravel road on any bike, but if you're considering using the Concours for anything much harder than that, you will almost certainly end up regretting it.
IRideASlowBike is offline   Reply With Quote