User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2005, 12:35 AM   #16
Nom de Guerre
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,034
Thanks Markjenn! Great writeup!

I'm about to do this as soon as my bearing gets here from Chip Munn... it's been about 6 weeks, but he swears that it will get to me this week.

LaramieLC4-640 on KTMTalk made a bearing puller kit - complete with ground bolts which I am now in possession of. It will be a traveling kit that will make the rounds. I will use it when I get the new bearing and post my results. If you want to get on the list to have the kit sent to you, go to KTMTalk, and put yourself on the waiting list on the thread:

http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=44168&st=0

I think page 11 is where you will find the details.

I'll be sure to re-read your how to several times before and during the operation.

Nom de Guerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 06:21 AM   #17
dagwood
Banned

Oddometer: 35,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC4 Pilot
Thanks Markjenn! Great writeup!

I'm about to do this as soon as my bearing gets here from Chip Munn... it's been about 6 weeks, but he swears that it will get to me this week.

sounds like chip munn ...why do you people still use him when he still pulls this shit?

Great rightup
out of five
another great words of wisdom thread. someday soon I should do this but over 10k miles and not a peep.
How do I know other than inspection? I mean how common is it? The only time you hear about it is when one fails, not about how many lasted the life of the motor. I suppose I should do some PM but ...I'm lazy.
dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 06:28 AM   #18
RT jim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
Building a Puller...
Mark nice job,clever thinking building tools needed.

Arch screwed with this post 03-28-2005 at 04:58 PM Reason: Trimmed quoted text.
RT jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 07:06 AM   #19
Stobie
Mr. Motivated

Oddometer: 1,861
I tried the same puller method as you did, Mark, and ran into the same problem--if the hooks would fit, they would straighten. Not enough "beef" left. I eventually used a tiny pry bar to tear the cage, and peeled it back with needlenose pliers, then ground two hooks that were stout enough that they would barely fit, and allow me to pull them parallel to the shaft. I then put some 1/4-20 shackles on the ends of the hooks, and attached them to a slide hammer. You can see how the cage is peeled back in the first photo.

I then heated the engine case with a heat gun (no torch at home) for 15 minutes before using the slide hammer. The first two shots with the slide hammer had the bike go "scooonch" across the concrete. The bearing finally moved on the third shot, and then came out pretty easily.

Some of these bearings are easy to pull, some are incredibly tight. I know of one guy here in NC who had to weld a piece of pipe to the outer bearing race, and then pull it by attaching a slide hammer to the pipe.

Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them.

-Albert Einstein
Stobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 09:34 AM   #20
Nom de Guerre
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagwood
sounds like chip munn ...why do you people still use him when he still pulls this shit?
It was my first time ordering from him. Prices were good, and I didn't know about the reputation of slow delivery until recently. Now I know.

Nom de Guerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 11:10 AM   #21
markjenn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,326
I don't think Munn's slowness is due to his dragging his feet - it's KTM. I waited about three months to get the roller bearing, but folks who ordered from other dealers took about as long. Then suddenly they were available on short notice for awhile. Now they appear to be back-ordered again. Perhaps SKF makes them in batches for KTM.

I have had issues where Munn will arbitrarily cancel part of an order for unexplained reasons, without any indication of whether the canceled item(s) are going to be shipped later or need to be re-ordered. They're usually responsive on email though - just a pain to have to follow up.

Thanks for all the comments. I'll incorporate them when I get a chance.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 12:12 PM   #22
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
I don't think Munn's slowness is due to his dragging his feet - it's KTM. I waited about three months to get the roller bearing, but folks who ordered from other dealers took about as long. Then suddenly they were available on short notice for awhile. Now they appear to be back-ordered again. Perhaps SKF makes them in batches for KTM.

I have had issues where Munn will arbitrarily cancel part of an order for unexplained reasons, without any indication of whether the canceled item(s) are going to be shipped later or need to be re-ordered. They're usually responsive on email though - just a pain to have to follow up.

Thanks for all the comments. I'll incorporate them when I get a chance.

- Mark
My dealer gets them from the same US warehouse, ordered mine and received it all in the same week a month ago.

Never waited more than 2 weeks for a part, and that was when they were switching warehouses.

Heard a lot of neg comments about Munn, though. Sounds like his parts manager isn't organized enough for the task.
Old 03-27-2005, 02:51 PM   #23
dagwood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10
snip

Heard a lot of neg comments about Munn, though. Sounds like his parts manager isn't organized enough for the task.
That would be Rance.
and damn, did I say that out loud? I hate when that happens

anyway...didn't mean to stir the munn pot again but damn how many bad threads about him do we suffer thrue. thats one reason I stopped ordering from KTMTalk. the discount wasn't worth the headache and waiting.

And please people...when you quote a long long post please snip the quote/pics down instead of just reposting something thats been quoted three times already. some of us are still in the stone age with dialup.
spank U' Very much.
Old 03-27-2005, 03:05 PM   #24
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,162
Quote:
anyway...didn't mean to stir the munn pot again but damn how many bad threads about him do we suffer thrue. thats one reason I stopped ordering from KTMTalk. the discount wasn't worth the headache and waiting.
My local shop is worse to order from than Chip; where else can ya mail order KTM parts?
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 03:11 PM   #25
dagwood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad
My local shop is worse to order from than Chip; where else can ya mail order KTM parts?
KTMhutt. formerly Cyclehutt.com
never had to wait more than three days. The best

H&H in Georgia but other issues there. (long story from KTMTalk)

theres a few out there.

my local shop used to really suck but they have a new parts manager (the kid looks about twelve but sharp as a tack) and are getting better. I've been trying to buy from them If at all possible. never had to order anything from them yet but haven't tried getting the bearing
Old 03-27-2005, 03:20 PM   #26
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,162
Quote:
KTMhutt. formerly Cyclehutt.com
never had to wait more than three days.
This place, thanks http://www.ktmcyclehutt.com/
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 09:17 PM   #27
GODSPEED
finger lickin' good

Oddometer: 2,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad
Hey Rad, in the interest of supportin fellow ADVRiders; our own dirtrider works for this outfit and they have treated Creeper right with his parts orders.

PENCO

I'd rather do it than watch it.

Those of you with spouse and SO's know this already, but man give them a big hug, and don't take anything foregranted. - MACK RIP

When 51% of the grasshoppers vote, the ants are screwed.

http://godspeed.smugmug.com/Motorcycles
GODSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 06:27 AM   #28
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,162
OMFG,

Am I glad I got an '03...

that said, if'n I didn't then I would be sending markjenn a sixpack for that beautiful DIY How-To!

ps - when quoting people's very picturesque and/or wordy posts, please cull - it's a waste of space and the original feller's bandwidth for pics.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 08:13 AM   #29
Beez
Given to fly

Oddometer: 5,760
Thanks Mark, that's a great write-up and will surely help others. I did mine about a month ago and my write-up is in the KTMtalk thread. My puller looked much like Mark's but I used 1/4" grade 5 bolts with coarse threads and I didn't need to remove the cage. I am one of the lucky ones and didn't have much trouble. What I did do is arm myself with as much knowledge as possible prior to the job which is what these forums are great for.

So, I have a puller if anyone wants it. PM or email me.
Beez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 04:59 PM   #30
Arch
Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer: 11,705
Rockin' thread, Mark.
Duly bookmarked to my KTM how-to faves folder.