Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2008, 03:13 AM   #91
losiu
wheelie addict

Oddometer: 570
Bearing Pulled !!

Hey everybody.

First of all, thanks Markjenn for the awesome how-to thread. Following Creeper's advice, I read it 5 times and got to work.
Also big thanks to MotoLard for posting the hook measurements. I used those too and they're pretty much right on.

MY STORY:

I used 10mm in diameter and 120mm long bolts to gring the hooks from.
At first I thought that the regular strenght bolts would do but after the first attempt, they all bent out of shape and even had cracks in them.
I got hardened bolts and made the hooks again.
This time the pull was pretty easy and the bearing came out with little effort compared to the first pull.

I didn't use heat nor did I try to freeze the bearing. All I did was spray WD40 on the bearing and left it for 3 or 4 days.

This is my puller:
Attached Images

losiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 03:14 AM   #92
losiu
wheelie addict

Oddometer: 570
And this is the final result:
Attached Images

losiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 12:08 PM   #93
Agnostic and Orange

Oddometer: 1,313
I just finished installing new bearing. Washer first.
Hardest thing was removing shift lever. Almost 2 hours of heating, banging and lots of liquid wrench. 8 years weld things up pretty well.
The old bearing was fine. Took some serious dremelling to get the race out.

I used ktmtalk travelling tool. Removal was very easy.
Bike has about 14k miles.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 03:18 PM   #94
firebladejr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
I'm the new owner of a 02/03 LC4 640 Supermoto. The build date is November 2002, does anyone know if this model had the roller bearing upgrade already? I've included some pics of the bike below if they help in identifying the version/model...

If the above bike didn't come with the roller bearing from the factory, I may inspect the current bearing at the next service. Is it possible to get all the way to the bearing without dropping the oil? If so, do I have to lay the bike on it's side, or can it be done by slightly tilting it towards the right hand side?
If after inspection it is the older ball bearing style and I need to replace it, do I need to wreck/modify the bearing at all to get the puller in? (it looks like there is a 'wall' in between the balls, just wondering how the puller is meant to grip the bearing if the 'wall' blocks the 'hooks')
I have found a local hire shop that has some bearing pullers for rent... all of them will push against the shaft. Should they be avoided? I've seen some on eBay as well for relatively cheap (under $50)..
I'm keen to inspect and figure out if any work needs to be done, but a little nervous about destroying a perfectly good bearing and getting it stuck in the case. Any help you could give with the above would be great.

Great DIY thread though..
firebladejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 03:28 PM   #95
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebladejr
Is it possible to get all the way to the bearing without dropping the oil? If so, do I have to lay the bike on it's side, or can it be done by slightly tilting it towards the right hand side?
If after inspection it is the older ball bearing style and I need to replace it, do I need to wreck/modify the bearing at all to get the puller in? (it looks like there is a 'wall' in between the balls, just wondering how the puller is meant to grip the bearing if the 'wall' blocks the 'hooks')..
Take another look at the “How To” and it will help you understand what is involved in the process. If you are not very experienced in wrenching I would suggest you pass on doing this yourself.

A couple quick answers; yes, the oil must be drained, yes the bearing being pulled is destroyed. Do not lay the bike on its side! Any fragments from the pulling process will in all likelihood fall into the engine if you do. Most of us grind off the outer retaining ring prior to inserting the pullers, some do it without doing that. Lastly, like with any home wrenching, there always is the possibility for fucking things up.

Best of luck
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 04:02 PM   #96
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad
Do not lay the bike on its side! Any fragments from the pulling process will in all likelihood fall into the engine if you do.
But if you're just going to inspect the bearing, tipping the bike should be OK, yes?

Firebladejr:
There's no point though, if you're going to inspect the bearing at the same time you change the oil.

What kind of clutch lever do you have? The old motors have a cable, the new ones are hydraulic. AFAIK, the bearing type was changed at the same time as all the other motor changes. (clutch type, sight glass, ex valve size)

EDIT: I see a sight glass on the clutch cover. You almost certainly already have the new bearing.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 04:33 PM   #97
Rad
Just me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke
But if you're just going to inspect the bearing, tipping the bike should be OK, yes?.
I would not, to inspect the bearing you must pull everything, clutch basket, gears, etc, to many little parts to handle that could fall into one of the cannels that go directly into case.

You can get away with just losing one Liter of oil for you don’t have to drain the frame tube, just the sump.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:34 PM   #98
firebladejr
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke
But if you're just going to inspect the bearing, tipping the bike should be OK, yes?

Firebladejr:
There's no point though, if you're going to inspect the bearing at the same time you change the oil.

What kind of clutch lever do you have? The old motors have a cable, the new ones are hydraulic. AFAIK, the bearing type was changed at the same time as all the other motor changes. (clutch type, sight glass, ex valve size)

EDIT: I see a sight glass on the clutch cover. You almost certainly already have the new bearing.
Thanks for the replies.
Now I'm getting excited.. I'm not at home at the moment so I can't check the clutch or clutch cover for the inspection window..(in Sydney it's about 9:30am now, which means I've got about another 9hrs of work before I will get home)
Making do with what I've got at hand, I enlarged one of the pics I took when I picked it up about a week ago.. It does look like there is a glass inspection cover there..

So I guess this means the bearing is already upgraded? I'm going to try and source some pics of the clutch cover from some '01 models for comparison..
Old 06-16-2008, 08:09 PM   #99
Luke
GPoET&P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad
I would not, to inspect the bearing you must pull everything, clutch basket, gears, etc, to many little parts to handle that could fall into one of the cannels that go directly into case.

You can get away with just losing one Liter of oil for you don’t have to drain the frame tube, just the sump.

True, I was just thinking about the bearing cage bits. Forgot about the pump gear pins, clutch bits, etc.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:48 PM   #100
Luke
GPoET&P

Quote:
Thanks for the replies.
Now I'm getting excited.. I'm not at home at the moment so I can't check the clutch or clutch cover for the inspection window..(in Sydney it's about 9:30am now, which means I've got about another 9hrs of work before I will get home)
Making do with what I've got at hand, I enlarged one of the pics I took when I picked it up about a week ago.. It does look like there is a glass inspection cover there..

So I guess this means the bearing is already upgraded? I'm going to try and source some pics of the clutch cover from some '01 models for comparison..
This is an '02. No sight glass. Click for a really big version
Old 06-16-2008, 10:03 PM   #101
firebladejr
Adventurer

wow nice picture..

thanks for that Luke, mine definitely has a different clutch cover with the glass inspection window. Does this guarantee that the bike already has the roller bearing from the factory? I'm 100% certain the build date is 11/02, and almost everyone has said that build date of '02 means ball bearing...
In a photo comparison of 01 and 03 models, my clutch cover is as per the 03 and up.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:28 AM   #102
Rad
Just me

Quote:
wow nice picture..

thanks for that Luke, mine definitely has a different clutch cover with the glass inspection window. Does this guarantee that the bike already has the roller bearing from the factory? I'm 100% certain the build date is 11/02, and almost everyone has said that build date of '02 means ball bearing...
In a photo comparison of 01 and 03 models, my clutch cover is as per the 03 and up.
KTM is notorious for mixing things on different model years. Having said that, If I were you, I would not worry about it. Just ride the bike and enjoy.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:06 PM   #103
firebladejr
Adventurer

hmm.. well I'm wondering if this is a mix up or not...

First, here's the build date:

Now, here's the 03+ style Clutch Cover:

and finally a look at the left side of the engine (note the High Flow head and Clutch Cover window):

Given the above, do you think my chances of having the roller bearing are good?
Old 06-17-2008, 03:16 PM   #104
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,132
Quote:
hmm.. well I'm wondering if this is a mix up or not...

Given the above, do you think my chances of having the roller bearing are good?
Does your Title say 2002? That sure looks like a 2003 engine... maybe they had some 2002 frames left when they switched to 2003 engines?

EDIT: found a pic of a 2002:

black engine case...

meat popsicle screwed with this post 06-17-2008 at 03:23 PM
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:30 PM   #105
Aussie Jase
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Demystifying the Model year v the build date

Quote:
wow nice picture..

As a very recent fatal victim of left main shaft bearing failure I can tell you if your bike was built 11/02 it is a 2003 model in KTM terms.

best way to tell is look at your engine number (been told this by a few KTMN dealers now, not just one) example my bike is/was a build of December 2000 and called a 2001 model the engine numbers first digit confirms this example my engine number is 158420xxx a replacement motor I am checking on is a November 2005 it is a 2006 model with the engine number 65846xxx,

Dont find out your bike was pre 2003 my way I am thinking about getting therapy too If you are not 100 with my explanation get your Vin/Chassis number and your engine number and give your local KTM dealer a call.

Jase
Aussie Jase is offline   Reply With Quote