User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2015, 10:39 AM   #1
MajorlyCuhdols OP
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Eh? New Buell Blast Owner

About a month ago, I bought DonkeyRides' (I believe that was his name... (trying to remember almost a month and a half ago...)) '07 Blast for commuting from Sanford to Raleigh for college. Yesterday was my first ride on the 75mile round trip. I've been taking it on back roads and just short rides while adjusting things here and there. First found out the primary was overtightened (found out by the squeak that the bike produces while idling) and that the bike was running rich (blacked spark plugs).
After adjusting the primary, the bike began running really lean. Adjusted that little bits here and there after short rides to not run it rich again.

But mainly wanted to post to ask about fuel mileage for the bike. While leaving home, filled the tank before starting my journey to campus. On the way back home on my 75 mile ride, somehow I'd burned through the 1.5gal "on" mode for the fuel valve and had to coast off the highway to flip it to reserve not even 3 miles from home. Almost my entire ride is 70mph zones, traffic moving at 75-80. Any ideas as to how to get better mileage from the bike? Or is 75-80mph going to get lower fuel mileage because the bike is too close to top speed?

Things I've checked and confirmed to work correctly: fuel idle mix, fuel idle speed, carb boot, carb diaphragm, ran seafoam through the gas mix, primary tightness

edit: might be one of the jets not set correctly? Since I've only been able to see the plugs after going about half a mile basically idling through a housing complex.

MajorlyCuhdols screwed with this post 01-25-2015 at 10:58 AM
MajorlyCuhdols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:26 PM   #2
satur9
angry black guy

Oddometer: 505
75 miles 1.5 gallons =50 mpg. which is pretty good at those speeds. only way to get better mileage is slow down to 55 60 mph. or shed weight. or change gearing which would hurt acceleration.
satur9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:48 PM   #3
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,721
I test rode a new Buell Blast when the Buell test fleet was at a dealer in Seattle. I also road an XB9R. Since I've been a thumper fan for many years, I was interested in the Blast. I really felt that it was a much better bike than most people made it out to be. It was a group ride, and, at one point the group entered the I-5 freeway. the Blast will run pretty good on the freeway. They did cut a few corners on the Blast. The shift lever has no splines on it. They should have used the updated oil pump drive gear. I think they figured that not many would put many miles on their Blasts. I also enjoyed the XB9R.

There is a Buell forum called badweatherbikers, where you might find answers and tips.
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote