User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2014, 07:36 AM   #1
Randyincolo OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Kawasaki KLX 250S

Anyone own one? Been thinking about buying one to carry behind the RV so I have something small to run around in. It would also see some use running around on our property in Tennessee.
Randyincolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:39 AM   #2
rickcj7
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Great bike!!!

WR250R sold
FE450E sold
XT, NX, KLX, KLR, DR all long gone.
rickcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:42 AM   #3
BornAgain
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Yeah there's a few of us around http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107591
BornAgain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:57 AM   #4
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornAgain View Post
BA, you must be mistaken. There are no posts on this site about the KLX, and I've never even heard about anyone riding them.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:01 AM   #5
TexaNate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
BA, you must be mistaken. There are no posts on this site about the KLX, and I've never even heard about anyone riding them.
"KLX"? What kinda Harley is that?

The KLX is a great little 250 but it's pretty dated and overpriced IMO, given it's still carbed in the US.

The CRF250L is cheaper and fuel injected and the WR250R is all of the above plus more powerful and more capable offroad.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:33 AM   #6
TNC
Candyass Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaNate View Post

The KLX is a great little 250 but it's pretty dated and overpriced IMO, given it's still carbed in the US.

The CRF250L is cheaper and fuel injected and the WR250R is all of the above plus more powerful and more capable offroad.
I don't know, Nate...not sure I agree with the dated and/or overpriced statement. On the dated issue, other than FI, I don't think the WRR or CRFL have anything on the KLX...and frankly I have nothing against a good carb...and nothing against FI. The WRR and KLX have almost identical suspensions...with the '06/'07 KLX's maybe being a little superior. The CRFL doesn't have that great a suspension compared to either bike. The WRR and KLX both need the stock suspension units...especially the forks...revalved IMO, but at least have way better potential than the CRFL suspension.

The KLX and WRR are also the same weight with the CRFL being noticeably heavier. IMO Honda just kind of "cheaped out" on their 250...nice motor...not so inspiring chassis.

Depending on location, the WRR is usually about 2000 to 3000 more dollars than a KLX when new. I've ridden several WRR's...nice bike...but they still need some modding to be at a level worthy of some decently tough off road use...just like the KLX. If you're just a pavement or dirt roader, a lot of this isn't that big a deal, but if you bought the WRR or KLX with the intention of actually trying to do some decently tough off road at times, the potential is more important, and the WRR and KLX have more of that than the Honda.

I just disagree that the KLX is notably dated compared to the WRR despite the time of production. In fact it's interesting how Kawasaki has often introduced a bike that seemed well ahead of its time, especially in the engine department. When the KLX250/300 came out, Honda and Yamaha were putting along with their air-cooled bikes in the DS category. And while that's not the kiss-of-death for a good bike, the KLX and WRR engine are suspiciously similar in design. As stated before, the FI is the biggest difference, and where markets have required it, the KLX even has FI available there. Frankly, I love the 36mm pumper carb I have on my '06 KLX that is now a 300. Both of these bikes are really good bikes. I'm a bit disappointed in Honda only because of their chassis and suspension.

But hey...every one is entitled to their opinion.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:09 PM   #7
Boarider
lost

Oddometer: 107
Not trying to thread jack, but where does the KLX450R fit in?

I'm picking up an 09 setup for supermoto but comes with some knobbies also.
Its not plated and don't think I can a plate here in Louisiana for it, so trails and kart tracks.
Boarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 03:27 PM   #8
palmstatecrawler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
Sounds like you may be the first to get one of these "klx250" motorcycles your talking about. Must be some new bike no one has ever owned or made a bunch of really long threads about.
'13 KTM 690 Enduro R w/ full akrapovic exhaust, Evo1 lid, uni filter, Renazco seat, hard parts windshield and footpad, scotts damper with BRP submount, hammerhead shifter, flatlands skidplate, lost dog centerstand, Touratech engine guards, r&g front and rear axle and exhaust sliders, piaa 1100's, Doubletake mirrors, G2cam system,
'07 Kawasaki KLX250, '86 Yamaha BW80
palmstatecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 03:50 PM   #9
TNC
Candyass Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1125Rebel View Post

Its not plated and don't think I can a plate here in Louisiana for it, so trails and kart tracks.
The KLX450R was a competition trail bike...basically a KX tweaked for non-MX. They are not street legal as delivered and cannot be plate/registered in some states. It isn't produced anymore...didn't sell enough. It was/is a really good bike.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:00 PM   #10
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 9,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaNate View Post

Maybe you could explain the outdated part when the suspension on it is easily of more value than the difference between that "up to date" CRF and the bike handles better at lower speeds as well as being lighter. A carburetor may be dated, but that is purely it, period. Honda took a big step back with no damping adjustment.

I will concede the performance difference betweein the KLX and the WR250R... but you pay for it. For that kind of money you can have the KLX suspension tailored to suit plus a Bill Blue 351 kit with money left.

So I just don't see your point.

Edit, TNC already made the point too, but it deserves reinforcing.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 04:02 PM   #11
Boarider
lost

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
The KLX450R was a competition trail bike...basically a KX tweaked for non-MX. They are not street legal as delivered and cannot be plate/registered in some states. It isn't produced anymore...didn't sell enough. It was/is a really good bike.
Thanks, I've found the thread about it now.
Boarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 04:35 PM   #12
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 9,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmstatecrawler View Post
Sounds like you may be the first to get one of these "klx250" motorcycles your talking about. Must be some new bike no one has ever owned or made a bunch of really long threads about.

I did see a thread "Anyone regret buying a KLX250"...

OH! Sorry, that was about the WR250!

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:47 PM   #13
Mickalmus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Quote:

In AU the service interval is pretty short but not out of line with the output, but it has waaaay more go than the 250. We get an ADR (road legal) bike you can ride to the dirt.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:55 PM   #14
TexaNate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
Maybe you could explain the outdated part when the suspension on it is easily of more value than the difference between that "up to date" CRF and the bike handles better at lower speeds as well as being lighter. A carburetor may be dated, but that is purely it, period. Honda took a big step back with no damping adjustment.

I will concede the performance difference betweein the KLX and the WR250R... but you pay for it. For that kind of money you can have the KLX suspension tailored to suit plus a Bill Blue 351 kit with money left.

So I just don't see your point.

Edit, TNC already made the point too, but it deserves reinforcing.
My point is kinda long, though maybe I should save it for everyone who asks me about this -

I have owned both (and a CRF250L for that matter - I like 250 dualsports) so I can offer a comparative perspective - not just hypothesizing whether one is better than the other based on numbers on the brochures. I can tell you the WR250R has (stock) power, suspension and brakes heads and shoulders above the KLX.

(I can also tell you lack of compression/rebound damping adjustment is the least of my concerns with regards to the CRFL's suspension - but I digress)

If you don't care for fuel injection, the WRR (priced as new) probably isn't worth the extra dough. However, FI is a big deal and I can't fathom why Kawasaki doesn't put it in their US bikes. $5k for a 250 with no FI in 2014 is steep.

We should also recognize that while the WR250R may be $1,300+ more than the KLX250S new, when buying used the price differential is much smaller because both bikes depreciate like dirt bikes (even though they last like streetbikes). I'd say for every $3,300 WRR you find for sale I'll find a KLX250S for sale in similar configuration/condition for around $3,000. $300 for all that power, longevity (26k valve checks), fuel injection, handling...

As an aside, I think the WRR is also pretty overpriced (as new) and outdated for what it is, as distinct from what it does. What it is is a durable 250cc quasi-enduro dual-sport built on technology from much older bikes - terrible deal when you consider it's only ~$1,500 than an FZ-09, say. What it does is absolutely anything a motorcycle can do from touring to commuting to supermoto to dirt-biking to ADVing to whatever, and that somewhat justifies the price.

(if I had a buck for every KLX that grenaded because of that damn 351 kit...)

As TNC said, to each his own.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:41 AM   #15
BornAgain
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Quote:

This one's plated in Texas http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95370 so that would give you a road title to present to the tax office.
BornAgain is online now   Reply With Quote