Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2012, 11:32 AM   #151
2trally
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
I looked into using a Christini 2wd system on an adv. bike. I emailed Christini about service intervals and they said that the norm is about 60 hours.
With an average speed of 45mph that only gives you 2700 miles... Seeing as that is a little high maintenance for any kind of touring I moved away from the idea. I should have asked what the service included though, because if its easy enough to do by the roadside with a few tools it wouldn't stop me.

Anyway, besides the grease, what do the services include?

And does anyone know what the disadvantages to the hydraulic 2wd system is? Christini claims their system only looses 1/10 of a horsepower and that is why their system is better than the hydraulic ones, but I havent been able to find what kind of power loss the hydraulic systems have.
2trally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:07 PM   #152
ID XR600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFastMoto View Post
I purchased the above tank in white and then took it down to Tacoma to a custom plastic welding shop. They verified that they could weld the tank and ran a bead on the underside to test.

Took the tank back home to do the prep work which includes:
1. Cut fuel outlet mount out of tank.
2. Position fuel outlet mount in new location and drill required holes (3)
3. Reshape underside of tank using heat gun and Ovglove

Once these tasks are completed I'll return the tank to the welder were they will weld a patch over the hole created by the removal of the fuel outlet mount and weld the fuel outlet mount to it's new location.

I'll update the thread with pic's of the modified tank and the final fuel capacity. (I'm guessing 4.5 gal)

Cheers!
I'm watching with great interest too. Not happy with what I have.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:52 AM   #153
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,841
Is anybody racing these bikes? If so, how are they doing? Are they winning. Are the extra components holding up to the strains of competition well? Are they even legal to compete? Seems like everybody would be switching over to awd if they were winning with awd, but I haven't heard much about them.

Just curious.
GlennR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:00 PM   #154
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,497
There are a couple competing in Endurocross with Geoff Aaron winning a couple races and finishing 2nd (?) in the championship one year. The AMA outlawed AWD in MX and flat track in 2007, I believe.

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:39 PM   #155
HalfFastMoto
bRad

Oddometer: 1,147
Christini maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2trally View Post

Anyway, besides the grease, what do the services include?
Here's the manual - http://www.christini.com/wp-content/...D450MANUAL.pdf

AWD Service section starts on page 35

Work has kept me rather busy but hope to work on the tank upgrade this weekend.
12 Christini 450 Rally Lite
13 Christini 300 E
HalfFastMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:38 PM   #156
2trally
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFastMoto View Post
Here's the manual - http://www.christini.com/wp-content/...D450MANUAL.pdf

AWD Service section starts on page 35

Work has kept me rather busy but hope to work on the tank upgrade this weekend.

Thanks.
2trally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:13 AM   #157
tdrrally
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,328
i found this on an other forum

Topic: Christini 450 AWD! (Forum:Exotics)
http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/945...stini-450-awd/
=====================================

-------------------------------------------
PeteN -- Today, 01:33 PM
I have not updated for a while, but I did install the FCR40 carb from the CRF450 and a NEXX slip on pipe for a CRF450X. Because the cables are different, I had to use the CRF throttle housing, which meant I needed another starter button. So I got a CRF450X button, which works fine, although I no longer have a kill switch, but the key works. The CRF manifold (to cylinder head) fit fine and the Christini airbox boot fit right up to the FCR, although the stock carb is only 35mm. Unfortately, the choke is inaccessible (on side of carb) when mounted on the Christini, but I have had no problems starting by using the accelerator pump. I jetted the carb with the left over leaner jets and needle from the JD jet kit I had for my old CRF450.

The CRFX slip on pipe fit perfectly, except it is meant to use springs to attached to the header, where the Christini uses a clamp. I simply slotted the end of the pipe and used a clamp I had from another bike that fit. The stock pipe on the Christini has a catalytic converter, see pic, which seems very restrictive. Needless to say, there was a very noticeable power increase and much better response over stock! Before the bike would barely wheelie in 2nd gear, now it pops right up in 3rd! I still want to add a CRF cam, but I am quite pleased with the performance.

New slip on:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...psb20713ec.jpg

Stock pipe:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...s/IMG_0941.jpg
Old 10-10-2012, 02:00 PM   #158
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,497
I already posted here in #133, FYI.

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:20 PM   #159
tdrrally
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,328
my bad
Old 11-08-2012, 05:27 PM   #160
BaronVonDarrin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
So is extra fuel capacity the major concern of the DS version for longer hauls? What about oil capacity? How is the gearing on one of these? Would I be disappointed in the spread coming from the 630?

Also, does Christini ever do custom jobs? Something tells me that my husky te630 with AWD would be pretty amazing... Really love that bike. But I am majorly interested in piloting one of these Christini 450 DS bikes too...

BaronVonDarrin screwed with this post 11-08-2012 at 05:40 PM
BaronVonDarrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:32 AM   #161
cjracer
AWD please!!

Oddometer: 3,951
Every bike is a compromise. From a 630 to a 450, you need to change your mind set and figure out what you need from the bike. Ride a Honda 450X, that will give you a good idea of tranny setup. Are you running single track, ATV trails or open road?

Next season we hope to have our 450 DS built into a Mini Adventure bike. Something we can tour/explore around WI/MI on - say 1,500 mile loops.
Speeds from 0 - 65 MPH so we can run just about anything WI has to offer. And when the going gets tough, the AWD will shine.

For local rides I'm looking for something lighter than my current AWD KTM 950 ADV, although long distance comforts will be given up.

We've been working on some longer range tanks as more range will be needed and helpful. This was my first attempt on modifying a ~4.5 gallon tank.

Cutting

Plastic welding

Test Fit - 4 gallons after modification

These tanks were much thinner than the Aqualine tanks I modified for the 950 ADV build.

I pressure tested it and all looked good. Filled it with gas and found out 2 days later I started to have a leak. Ethanol must have ate through some of the seams. It was good practice.
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:56 AM   #162
cjracer
AWD please!!

So before I swapped the Stock tank setup back on, a FCR carb from my buddies 450R was installed.

During that time collecting parts, the second future attempt of larger tanks showed up. A 6 gallon Acerbis tank. Test fit it to the 450R as shown on the LEFT bike so get some pics. It has more gas forward, but also much lower. The stock 2.5 gallons will be BELOW the seat. With some light luggage on the back during out trips, I think this will be a good balance. The front forks feel like they have heavy enough springs to handle this extra weight. I'll be reporting back with bike weights from the scales we have here as we go along.

As Pete has stated, this new carb setup really woke the bike up. So after a few test laps and some jetting changes we headed for the dyno.

We were still running a bit rich, but with the air box door open to lean it out a little. Power went up as did the RPMs. We saw about 10,500-11,000 rpms. The bike made 44HP. For comparison, one the Honda 450R with open pipe, fatter jets made about 50HP. The Christini bike has lower compression and smaller valves for longer overall life and we have not run a 450X on the dyno to compare.

I have an O2 bung welded into the header and an Air/Fuel Ratio gauge ready to test fit this weekend when it arrives.

ICE will be here soon and it will be getting set up for some local racing.

So far this has turned into a fun bike to start our build with.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:22 AM   #163
ID XR600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjracer View Post
So before I swapped the Stock tank setup back on, a FCR carb from my buddies 450R was installed.

During that time collecting parts, the second future attempt of larger tanks showed up. A 6 gallon Acerbis tank. Test fit it to the 450R as shown on the LEFT bike so get some pics. It has more gas forward, but also much lower. The stock 2.5 gallons will be BELOW the seat. With some light luggage on the back during out trips, I think this will be a good balance. The front forks feel like they have heavy enough springs to handle this extra weight. I'll be reporting back with bike weights from the scales we have here as we go along.

As Pete has stated, this new carb setup really woke the bike up. So after a few test laps and some jetting changes we headed for the dyno.

We were still running a bit rich, but with the air box door open to lean it out a little. Power went up as did the RPMs. We saw about 10,500-11,000 rpms. The bike made 44HP. For comparison, one the Honda 450R with open pipe, fatter jets made about 50HP. The Christini bike has lower compression and smaller valves for longer overall life and we have not run a 450X on the dyno to compare.

I have an O2 bung welded into the header and an Air/Fuel Ratio gauge ready to test fit this weekend when it arrives.

ICE will be here soon and it will be getting set up for some local racing.

So far this has turned into a fun bike to start our build with.
Thanks for the post. Looks like it would be nice if Acerbis, Clarke, or IMS would produce what the Christini's need for long range tanks. I've had plastic tank failure in the middle of a ride before, and have wondered if welding plastic could really be strong enough.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:45 AM   #164
cjracer
AWD please!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ID XR600 View Post
Thanks for the post. Looks like it would be nice if Acerbis, Clarke, or IMS would produce what the Christini's need for long range tanks. I've had plastic tank failure in the middle of a ride before, and have wondered if welding plastic could really be strong enough.
It depends on volume and demand. New molds are big bucks, and on small run bikes I bet they would be pricing, per tank.

I've plastic welded up my Aqulaine tanks for my custom AWD 950 build and it's going strong 40,000 miles later. I've got a new plan for the second time around on the 6 gallon.

Now that I have one that fits, a future mold could be made from that. If anyone is interested Contact Christini and push for a larger tank option.

Tell them you saw Craig's bike.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:16 AM   #165
BENRON
I'm Mr. Crabtree

Oddometer: 3,484
I'm Excited to try it out tomorrow

How big is the stock tank?

How about the charging system-- Any spare Watts for running all the gizmos and gadgets we love bolting onto our bikes?
BENRON is offline   Reply With Quote