Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2011, 09:00 AM   #16
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
Curious why paved Independence Pass instead of dirt Hagerman Pass?
I thought the same thing.

To answer John, Hagerman is not bad at all. 50-60mph is no problem for the experienced rider on that road. even if you cut it down, 30mph should not be an issue. Of course like you said people might be tired. It's one of those things though you can decide when you get to the turn off.

If I do get to go...hard to tell now. I be willing to lead the crazy fast group...LOL
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:49 PM   #17
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,081
ttip

Man do I hate living in Florida.
Honkey Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:45 PM   #18
Gehtlos
Einer geht noch

Oddometer: 145
l want to be part of this !
Gehtlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:22 AM   #19
ScramblerDavis
aka DangerDavis

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_John View Post
I am going to set up a day, maybe in early December, for any of you that want to meet for a Friday afternoon Happy Hour to go over maps and debate routes and discuss the seven day route. I'll keep you posted.......

Below is some of my initial brainstorming.

Here is the overall route.....just a starting place. The Green Circle is Colorado Springs.....the start and the finish. The other circles, indicate where we will stop for the night.....and the route is clockwise. Map Source calculated the route at 980 miles......which once we are all done, I bet we easily eclipse 1,000 miles.

Potential Day #1. This will be the "warm-up day" and for the group to get an idea of where everyone's skills are and how proficient they are on their bike. We will depart Colorado Springs and head up Gold Camp Road to Cripple Creek. Then we will ride down Shelf Road to Canyon City...... All of this is incredibly tame and easy dirt road. Our first test will be Hayden Pass on lightly loaded bikes. Then we drop down in to the northern end of the San Luis Valley, back up over Ute Pass and down into Saguache where we will spend our first night, at The Lodge (Showers, bathrooms, grass for tents or a bunk room for the non-tenters.)

Gold Camp Road is nice, easy dirt road riding....(two-up on VStroms).

Potential Day #2. This day of about 140 miles will get even tougher. We will leave Saguache and enter into the northern end of the Rio Grande National Forest. It will probably take us about 4 hours to get through this section of trails on our way to Highway 160 and Creede. One highlight will be a short rest and stop at the Wheeler Geologic Area. From Creede we will ride north, crossing over San Luis Pass and down to the 788 Road. The final leg will be the climb over Cinnamon Pass and down into Silverton for the night at the Red Mountain Campground and Cabins.

Just down from Cinnamon Pass.

Potential Day #3. If you make it past day three, you will probably be able to finish the trip. From Silverton, we will head west and climb over Ophir Pass....pretty easy. Then we loop around through Telluride and head east, climbing over Imogene Pass....much tougher. Once again we loop around east to west and climb over Black Bear Pass.....much, much tougher....and drop back down into Telluride. The final leg for the day is a ride northwest on Last Dollar Road, looping around on dirt to Naturita. They have a campground and a couple of Motels.

The ride from Black Bear Pass to Telluride.

Potential Day #4. This will be the desert riding day of the trip. The first section is a run of Forest Service Roads along the Uncompahgre Plateau, dropping down into Gateway, CO. Then we will ride up the Dolores River, turning right onto the obscure and rough....Sheep Creek Road. Once climbing out of the canyon, we will ride through Lost Horse Basin and Ryan Park, looping around the mesa into Utah for a dozen miles and then back into Colorado. We will ride up on Pinon Mesa, dropping down through Glade Park, riding through and taking in the amazing sights of the Colorado National Monument. Then a quick run through Grand Junction and up on Grand Mesa for the night. There are a half dozen campgrounds and lodges we can choose from.

Here's a pic of the ride up Sheep Creek.

Potential Day #5. This is a big mileage day, catching up from the days of riding the high passes around Telluride. This day will be about 200 miles, but nearly all of it is nice, maintained dirt. Basically, we are riding from Grand Mesa, back roads to Crested Butte. Then, we will have the one big challenge of the day...... Pearl Pass. We cross this pass to get over to Aspen....then we will loop around north to Basalt and ride over Hagerman Pass to Leadville.

Here's a pic of a rider climbing up Pearl Pass. A KTM 640 Adventure seems to be doing just fine.

Potential Day#6. Today will total 100 miles and take everyone over 4 very high passes: Weston, Boreas, Georgia and Radical Hill. Leadville to Fairplay over Weston Pass...and on up to Como. Then over Boreas Pass to Breckenridge. Then we will loop around, and up Tiger Road to the top of Georgia Pass. Then we will run the Continential Divide for a few miles, over to Radical Hill. Down Radical Hill to Montezuma and in to Dillon for the night.

Here I am, standing at the top of Radical Hill.

Potential Day #7. We will depart Dillon and back track a little, headed for Webster Pass. Once we are down on the other side, we will basically ride "back roads" over to Rampart Range and drop down into Monument, via Mt. Herman Road. This will be a pretty easy day......but we should end with an easy day to reflect on our week. Once we get back in the Springs, I would like for us to congregate at some location, for a beer to toast our accomplishment and photos (TBD).

Here's a pic of my son and I, riding Rampart on the old 600's. It's easy riding.

Hey Big John...you think we could ride Sheep Creek in the DAYLIGHT this time? Sure would be nice to see the country e're riding in!!
'07 Triumph Scrambler,'09 Honda XR650L,'86 Kaw.Concours,'00 BMW K1200LT
Member RMAR, COHVCO, NMOHVA, AMA
ScramblerDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:14 PM   #20
Big_John OP
Colorado Rider

Oddometer: 2,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScramblerDavis View Post
Hey Big John...you think we could ride Sheep Creek in the DAYLIGHT this time? Sure would be nice to see the country e're riding in!!

I think it was easier in the dark. We weren't able to see how rough it really was!!!.....ha!!!

Actually, on the ride back up, two days later, Bryce and I were able to scoot through it pretty quickly. It is beautiful scenery and great arid climate riding.
Pointing the Way http://www.gracemotoadv.com
Big_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:58 PM   #21
Big_John OP
Colorado Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgtracker View Post
I swore I would never ride Sheep Creek again daylight or dark. I thinks it's best at night thought because, you can't really see how much danger you're in ! LOL

Yeah....but you did it Dawd!!!!! .....and you did it on a fully packed out KLR. Rock On Dude!!!!
Old 11-01-2011, 09:22 PM   #22
ScramblerDavis
aka DangerDavis

Quote:
Yeah....but you did it Dawd!!!!! .....and you did it on a fully packed out KLR. Rock On Dude!!!!
Yeah....now he has a choice to make...KLR or V-Strom!!! Should we bring the duct tape or the epoxy??
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2011, 08:43 AM   #23
Tread
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Definitely peaked my interest. Sounds like fun. I'll be watching this thread.

2010 BMW R1200GS
2015 KTM 350exc
Tread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:45 AM   #24
BgDadddy
Big Dufus

Oddometer: 1,789
Me too. I just wish it was closer to the RMAR dates. I can't swing both.
BgDadddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:38 AM   #25
Big_John OP
Colorado Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by BgDadddy View Post
Me too. I just wish it was closer to the RMAR dates. I can't swing both.

Yeah, I thought about tethering the two events, but Pablo had already reached out to me to connect RMAR with WestFest.....So, it will still be a great week of riding. My suggestion for RMAR and WestFest is for some of you to organize a Colorado Dirt Ride between the two events.

Besides, I am going to need a month of recovery after RMAR to run off a second event.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:18 PM   #26
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,330
Quote:
Yeah, I thought about tethering the two events, but Pablo had already reached out to me to connect RMAR with WestFest.....So, it will still be a great week of riding. My suggestion for RMAR and WestFest is for some of you to organize a Colorado Dirt Ride between the two events.

Besides, I am going to need a month of recovery after RMAR to run off a second event.
And I plan to wear John out...someone has to setup at RMAR to lead a Big Bike ride because I got to haul John out on some single track. So I am hoping he won't want to ride for another 3 months.
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:30 PM   #27
Stinky
Team Hematoma

Oddometer: 447
It sounds like fun but I'm a little confused here. You're making this sound a bit like an extreme enduro, and one would need the last name of Blazusiak to finish (OK, slight exaggeration). The pictures however don't convey that level of difficulty. So, on a scale of 1-10, 1 being a newbie on, say, a KLR, and 10 being Taddy on a Christini, where does this ride fall as planned to date? I'm sure others are wondering. Also, what are the ranges of elevation?
Old 11-14-2011, 06:12 AM   #28
ScramblerDavis
aka DangerDavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky View Post
It sounds like fun but I'm a little confused here. You're making this sound a bit like an extreme enduro, and one would need the last name of Blazusiak to finish (OK, slight exaggeration). The pictures however don't convey that level of difficulty. So, on a scale of 1-10, 1 being a newbie on, say, a KLR, and 10 being Taddy on a Christini, where does this ride fall as planned to date? I'm sure others are wondering. Also, what are the ranges of elevation?
Stinky...I've ridden a lot of these passes some on the Scrambler and some on the Honda XR650L...and there is going to be a mix of challenging and just fun riding. A lot is going to be on how your bike is set up and how experienced a rider you are...not necessarily a racer, but capable of handling different terrain situations. The thing is this...we're all going to be there to help one another as needed, so just prepare well and relax and have fun. There's lot's of time I've fallen and had to have help and have helped others, but we all have had our spills. This is a good opportunity to enjoy some georgeous areas of Colorado that a lot of people never see and that's why I'm going!! Score 7-9, KLR's have been everywhere, but still depends on riding capability and preparation. Elevation from 7,000 to 14,000 feet. Remember it's a ride event...not a race!
Old 11-14-2011, 08:40 AM   #29
Stinky
Team Hematoma

Oddometer: 447
Thanks SD. That definitely helps scope things. I'm riding a 450EXC so that should be fine. While I can't quite ride like Taddy, it sounds like this is a nice mix of fast and smooth and slow and gnarly. Perfect! I've always wanted to ride the back country of Colorado and this sounds like a great way to do it. My biggest challenges will be re-jetting and logistics. I'll be watching this thread close and really hope to make this one.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:32 PM   #30
TomInKC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
I'll be attending. I've been wanting to ride CO.
TomInKC is offline   Reply With Quote