Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2011, 01:40 PM   #31
Mac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomInKC View Post
I'll be attending. I've been wanting to ride CO.
It's just like Kansas here. Nothing to see.
Member: NRA, AMA, TPA, MSF RC
Mac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:59 PM   #32
BgDadddy
Big Dufus

Oddometer: 1,771
All depends on where you're looking...

BgDadddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:03 PM   #33
Mac
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BgDadddy View Post
All depends on where you're looking...

That may have been my problem. I was looking in the general direction of Kansas.

Now, I want to see you bring that HD on the CAM. Only thing is you have to ride in the back and bring your own support team.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:16 PM   #34
bogus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
sign me up
Old 11-15-2011, 08:14 PM   #35
ScramblerDavis
aka DangerDavis

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky View Post
Thanks SD. That definitely helps scope things. I'm riding a 450EXC so that should be fine. While I can't quite ride like Taddy, it sounds like this is a nice mix of fast and smooth and slow and gnarly. Perfect! I've always wanted to ride the back country of Colorado and this sounds like a great way to do it. My biggest challenges will be re-jetting and logistics. I'll be watching this thread close and really hope to make this one.
The 450 EXC will do an excellent job with the right rear spocket for steep hills and correct jetting for high altitude. Pack light but well for outdoors camping for the week if you choose.I'm sure someone who has one of these can guide you as far as that bike's setup. Needs to be street legal!
'07 Triumph Scrambler,'09 Honda XR650L,'86 Kaw.Concours,'00 BMW K1200LT
Member RMAR, COHVCO, NMOHVA, AMA
ScramblerDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:57 PM   #36
RImikebike
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Question Rent a bike for the week?

Is there a place I can rent a bike for a week? Something like an XR or a DRZ? I will be coming from Rhode Island
thanks
RImikebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:10 PM   #37
Mac
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RImikebike View Post
Is there a place I can rent a bike for a week? Something like an XR or a DRZ? I will be coming from Rhode Island
thanks

Post #1, Day #2 - welcome to ADV.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:21 AM   #38
RImikebike
n00b

Renting or buying a bike

Thanks. Any tips on renting a bike? I was also thinking of maybe buying a new DRZ 400 in colorado and then having it shipped back after I am done. Any thoughts?
Old 11-26-2011, 06:28 AM   #39
The Rizz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 633
Quote:
Thanks. Any tips on renting a bike? I was also thinking of maybe buying a new DRZ 400 in colorado and then having it shipped back after I am done. Any thoughts?
I'd think buying a used one that is already set up for a ride like this would be better. Lots of people around here that would inspect one for you. A new drz is lacking in tires, crash protection, luggage options, etc.

Sold, stolen, or totalled: 2008 Versys, 2004 525 EXC, 2009 Street Triple, 2005.5 950 Adventure, 2003 DRZ400e, 2000 DR650, 2004 KLR650, 2003 DRZ400s, 2002 DRZ400s, 2003 FZ1, 1998 VFR800, 1996 Ninja 250 race bike, 2000 TL1000R, 2000 ZR7.
The Rizz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:22 PM   #40
ICBiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Don't think I will be able make the RMAR this year but boy this sounds like fun. Just bought a 6.6 gal. tank for the Husky. Got room for a flatlander?
Glen
07 990 Adv
06 GL1800
ICBiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:36 PM   #41
Big_John OP
Colorado Rider

Oddometer: 2,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICBiker View Post
Don't think I will be able make the RMAR this year but boy this sounds like fun. Just bought a 6.6 gal. tank for the Husky. Got room for a flatlander?
Glen

Glen, your always welcome at my fire. Plan on it my friend!

Pointing the Way http://www.gracemotoadv.com
Big_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 03:23 PM   #42
Big_John OP
Colorado Rider

Quote:
I understand that a small business in Salida is renting 2-3....light weight dual-sport bikes. But, the concern here would be....is it equipped to haul your gear? Probably not. But I will say that my son, with a medium sized, water proof duffle can haul all he needs on his (street legal) YZ426. But, if I were going to tool off on a week long ride with my gear aboard.....I would want my own bike that is equipped and outfitted for me.

I would say that a KLR650 or a KTM 990 is about the biggest bike I would attempt this ride. ScramblerDavis makes a good point though......it's more about riding skills, than about the bike. Although....someone on a VStrom will check it in after day two....I don't care how good you can ride. At some point the trails will get too steep for a 500 lb bike. Going up Sheep Creek on my 300lb XRR was a challenge. But Scrambler makes another great point.....gear your bike low. This isn't a race and if you can do 55-60 mph....you're just fine.

I would like everyone to view this as an Adventure Team Ride. We are all together to complete 7 days of challenging riding. We will help you pick up your bike and push it up-hill and change your flat....etc.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:14 AM   #43
ScramblerDavis
aka DangerDavis

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_John View Post
I understand that a small business in Salida is renting 2-3....light weight dual-sport bikes. But, the concern here would be....is it equipped to haul your gear? Probably not. But I will say that my son, with a medium sized, water proof duffle can haul all he needs on his (street legal) YZ426. But, if I were going to tool off on a week long ride with my gear aboard.....I would want my own bike that is equipped and outfitted for me.

I would say that a KLR650 or a KTM 990 is about the biggest bike I would attempt this ride. ScramblerDavis makes a good point though......it's more about riding skills, than about the bike. Although....someone on a VStrom will check it in after day two....I don't care how good you can ride. At some point the trails will get too steep for a 500 lb bike. Going up Sheep Creek on my 300lb XRR was a challenge. But Scrambler makes another great point.....gear your bike low. This isn't a race and if you can do 55-60 mph....you're just fine.

I would like everyone to view this as an Adventure Team Ride. We are all together to complete 7 days of challenging riding. We will help you pick up your bike and push it up-hill and change your flat....etc.
Yeah...and you have to bring your own air...John wants too much money for his...here he is hagglin' over price with Bryce...his own son!!!! not really ...just all of us helping each other out!
Attached Images

'07 Triumph Scrambler,'09 Honda XR650L,'86 Kaw.Concours,'00 BMW K1200LT
Member RMAR, COHVCO, NMOHVA, AMA
ScramblerDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:47 AM   #44
Big_John OP
Colorado Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScramblerDavis View Post
Yeah...and you have to bring your own air...John wants too much money for his...here he is hagglin' over price with Bryce...his own son!!!! not really ...just all of us helping each other out!

Yeah, and for goodness sake.....please bring a couple of spare tubes. On that ride out to Moab, Bryce's problem compounded when his patches kept failing.

You bet Scrambler.....air can be a commodity in the far reaches..... A flat with no pump, when you are 50 miles from a gas station is a HUGE problem. I now have two of those bicycle pumps that have worked great.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:09 PM   #45
RImikebike
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_John View Post

Thanks. I am leaning toward getting a used DRZ 400 with low miles, and setting it up for the trip, including jetting it for the altitude. I figuring $5-$6k should cover the bike and the set up if I do myself. Next will be finding a way to ship it at the lowest cost.
thanks