Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2012, 06:24 PM   #61
Big_John OP
Colorado Rider

Oddometer: 2,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christeon View Post
Hi I'm John.

I looked for a place to introduce myself but failed at locating it. After sitting for 3 years a buddy got me to drag my bike out of barn storage and go riding with him a couple of weeks ago. I've been riding since the mid '80's and over time have forgot how much I love to ride. I've sold or stored my bikes for many reasons but mostly from lack of riding buddies. After the ride a couple weeks ago with the guys from bamarides I discovered an entire community of people who love to ride. After browsing their sight I made it over here following the quest for entelecheia ride report. Seeing his pics out west made me want to get out there and ride sometime in the next year or so, then I found this thread and it looks like the perfect introduction to the mountains without skis. I'm subscribed to this thread and hoping I can swing it.

Come on out man. As I have stated many times. This will be a ride where there is a lot of team work and a lot of camaraderie. We will have the goal for everyone to finish.

Dropping your bike will result in guys helping you pick it up and help you up the hill.

It will be challenging but an Epic Experience and Accomplishment.
Pointing the Way http://www.gracemotoadv.com
Big_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:28 PM   #62
janliness
Battery Discharger

Oddometer: 70
Interested!

John:

Sounds like a great adventure! I'm gonna start planning on doing this

I'd like to offer help...don't know exactly what I can do. I'm a relative n00b on my KTM 690e, but I intend to get plenty familiar with it in the meantime. I've also got lots of Jeep experience on many of the trails you're intending, with a hitch rack for my current Jeep that can carry the KTM -- that may be useful for checking out sections. I know events like this just don't happen by themselves, so PM me if you want the help...

later,
jan
janliness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:52 AM   #63
kj7687
Uncle Sally

Oddometer: 343
Moto Journalist

I'm actually planning on a career as a moto journalist. Unfortunately for me, at this point in my life, I couldn't even dream about the money and time commitments required to even pull off a ride this epic, let alone put together a proper report on it. Some day things will be different. This looks like it will be a ton of fun and I really wish I could go (someone want to hand me a $xx,000 sponsorship on a silver platter?). Have fun everyone, and stay safe!
Old 01-09-2012, 07:20 AM   #64
Mac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj7687 View Post
I'm actually planning on a career as a moto journalist. Unfortunately for me, at this point in my life, I couldn't even dream about the money and time commitments required to even pull off a ride this epic, let alone put together a proper report on it. Some day things will be different. This looks like it will be a ton of fun and I really wish I could go (someone want to hand me a $xx,000 sponsorship on a silver platter?). Have fun everyone, and stay safe!

It doesn't take $xx,000 to make this ride. It takes a proper bike, some gear, some time, and maybe a little skill.
Member: NRA, AMA, TPA, MSF RC
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:40 AM   #65
Big_John OP
Colorado Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by janliness View Post
John:

Sounds like a great adventure! I'm gonna start planning on doing this

I'd like to offer help...don't know exactly what I can do. I'm a relative n00b on my KTM 690e, but I intend to get plenty familiar with it in the meantime. I've also got lots of Jeep experience on many of the trails you're intending, with a hitch rack for my current Jeep that can carry the KTM -- that may be useful for checking out sections. I know events like this just don't happen by themselves, so PM me if you want the help...

later,
jan

Very cool......your 690 should be perfect.

Quote:

Would love a write-up. Maybe....somehow.....you can swing it. This would actually be a great opportunity for you to write your first, really big article and submit for publication.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:54 PM   #66
kickstand
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Hey Big John Count me in I just happen to have the first two weeks in Sept. off for vacation. And got kitchen pass from the Commander and Chief And I had all ready started doing a little work on my Lc 640E. I'll be checking back from time to time for more details. Just like to thank you now for going to all the work for the benefit of others.
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:07 AM   #67
Big_John OP
Colorado Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstand View Post
Hey Big John Count me in I just happen to have the first two weeks in Sept. off for vacation. And got kitchen pass from the Commander and Chief And I had all ready started doing a little work on my Lc 640E. I'll be checking back from time to time for more details. Just like to thank you now for going to all the work for the benefit of others.

Welcome!!!!

Your 640 will be a great bike for this ride. Just get her equipped to carry some "minimalist" camping gear. (light bag, little tent, etc).
Old 01-10-2012, 02:55 PM   #68
kickstand
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Hi John was wondering if we will be eating at restaurants along the route or have to fend for our selfs each day? And what do you expect the temps. to be at night on avg. Might have to get better sleeping bag.
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:29 PM   #69
Pitster
miniac

Oddometer: 346
Looks like a great ride, cant beat the high mtns of Co!

www.nomadrider.com Adventure luggage and gear
Pitster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:57 PM   #70
Big_John OP
Colorado Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstand View Post
Hi John was wondering if we will be eating at restaurants along the route or have to fend for our selfs each day? And what do you expect the temps. to be at night on avg. Might have to get better sleeping bag.

For each evening, we will be stopping for the night in a small town with a campground. I am really, really happy in my bag and tent....especially when I can get a shower each evening.

My bag is a down sack that is rated for 10 degrees. The evenings in early September can easily get down in the 20-30 degree range, especially at high elevations. I also carry a sleep pad, as it isn't fun to sleep directly on the ground if it is 20 degrees.

For food, be prepared to have a quick lunch, in the middle of the day. Protein Bars are popular. For breakfast....if the little towns have a dive....then you might get some hot eggs and pancakes, but we will need to be on the trail no later than 9am each day. Dinner is the same.....a little restaurant might be available. But, everyone should come prepared with some food packed on your bike. I have a backpackers set up with a tiny gas stove and will carry dehydrated meals.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:14 AM   #71
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,699
Thanks so much for putting this together

This sounds like a hoot---and I'll try to come.
What I like about this ride is it doesn't seem it's going to get downgraded to where
the big bikes can do it-----and makes it boring for the smaller bikes.
The big GS's are great bikes---but if they can go on it---it usually is boring for me.

I've been over most every inch of your route------but not all on one ride.

I've tried Pearl Pass on an unladen dirt bike 3 times and have never got over the top.
But it was always because of snow pack-----that pass doesn't always open up at all each year.

It's an extremely tough climb up the North side.

And I tied riding on top of the snow----but eventually came to snow over my head
and it was a no go.

KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 01-11-2012 at 04:21 AM
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:26 AM   #72
ScramblerDavis
aka DangerDavis

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Hey we would wlecome you to the ride and we'll even bring pencil and paper for you to write with!! It's not a big buck event but you will need a week of vacation to do it. Just need pre-planning with minimal but essential camping gear and food stuff to get you thru the days. Prepare your bike well for high altitude riding and with repair tools and equipment as you may feel needed. Pack tight and light and make sure you can carry water to sustain yourself. If you can put back $15/week, by the time it comes up you'll be good to go! Let us know if you need suggestions or help on how to pack and ride the event...it'll be a life experience you won't want to miss out on! Oh...and make sure you get physically in shape to handle rough terrain riding and high altitude!
'07 Triumph Scrambler,'09 Honda XR650L,'86 Kaw.Concours,'00 BMW K1200LT
Member RMAR, COHVCO, NMOHVA, AMA
ScramblerDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:21 AM   #73
D K
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
Interested

PM sent to OP.
08 950SE for sale in SoCal
09 FE570 patiently waiting..
D K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:52 AM   #74
Big_John OP
Colorado Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by D K View Post
PM sent to OP.

Here's DK's PM to me.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by D K
Hey there.

I have a husky 610 that I've been thinking of taking to Colorado for some trail riding when I saw this. I just got back from Morocco with my 950 ant that was fun.
I won't know until very close to Sept if I can get the time off or not. If I do, I would be interested in joining you guys if there is space.
I have all the equipment (personal), but no tent or cooking stuff.

What all will a person need for this trip?

Folks, I think this is pretty simple.....but I am also a backpacker and motorcycle camper, adventure rider guy, so I don't want to make any assumptions that everyone can figure this out on their own.

DK has asked some great questions here.

Here is the list of things I think everyone should consider......

1. ATGATT....(All The Gear All The Time) .. Yep, wear all your motorcycle protection. Odds that you will dump your bike on a slow speed climb or downhill decent or just because you lost focus..... will certainly happen. I usually drop my bike once or twice on every ride I take.

2. Best bike..... Street legal enduro or light weight adventure bike. I would recommend a bike in the 250-300lb dry weight range. (I would not go over 350lbs....unless you can ride the crap out of a KTM 990) The bike needs a large gas tank allowing you to travel 150-200 miles or more between fill-ups. The bike needs a stout subframe to support the stuff you are going to haul. A luggage rack with bags will work or if you are like MAC, you will bring your Giant Loop. The bike needs to be able to run at 55 mph.....but it also needs some low gearing for the steep stuff. Some aggressive Knobbies are recommended....don't show up with 70-25, Street to Dirt Tires....Not good.

3. Gear....Sleeping Bag that will keep you warm down into the 10-20 degree range (it will get cold at night in early September at 10k feet elevation). I bring a little, light sleeping pad. I have a very compact, 2-man tent. I have a compact backpacking stove and compact cooking tins. Flashlight...the one that goes around your head is best. Protein Bars, dehydrated meals, snacks...etc... A LARGE water container. (most like the Camelbaks) Clothing....silk and wool and the synthetics are best. All the odds and ends...matches, First-Aid Kit, bike tools, rope, zip-ties, etc...etc....etc..... Tube patches, extra tubes, air pump.....maybe a quart of oil if you can fit it in. JB Weld.....(Because Danger Davis will probably need some of yours to fix his cracked crank case!!!...and he will probably steal your oil as well.)

4. I am going to highly recommend that everyone....VERY SERIOUSLY CONSIDER.....a SPOT. Google "SPOT". If you ever ride in the back country....you need one of these. AND....buy the $15 a year insurance.

I'm sure that others will chime in with other ideas....

Now...with that said..... If you closely study the route..... I have us ending each day in a small town that has a campground and some motels. It is likely that you won't need half of everything you will bring. But if we get stuck up in the woods, overnight......you will be a miserable soul if you aren't prepared.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:58 AM   #75
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
This is a good idea and more events like this are needed and wanted. We've been doing the KotW in the West now going on the third year. We've had quite a few Colorado/Utah guys come out for it. Scott Brite (FORE) rode with us this year, along with Two Dakar vets, Charlie Rauseo and Dirk Kessler, plus 5 or 6 Baja 1000 vets

Just an Fyi, 143 miles/day is a very low window to shoot for. When you get a bunch of type A's together, no matter what you say, it always turns into a race. Our shortest day last year was 243 miles, and we've had days as long as 419 miles of open desert, mountains, sand washes and graded roads to keep up the speed here and there. We usually cover at least three states, sometimes four.

Be sure that you plan a RR&R day (Rest, relaxation and repair), or you will have some FF"s bail out after day 3.

Have fun, be safe and respect the land.

IF anyone is interested in the event:

2010 KotW report http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=535024
2011 Remix report http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=629979
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote