ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-19-2012, 03:05 PM   #1456
HappyRiding
Grumpy
 
HappyRiding's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Mountains of NE 10EC
Oddometer: 3,126
I will be heading out in the morning for RMAR but I have 10 other states to hit before I get to Colorado.
__________________
"Hey I've never seen the sun come up in the west!?!" - Fozzie Bear
HappyRiding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:44 PM   #1457
Hondo
What if its a Samsquamch?
 
Hondo's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Denver, Colorado
Oddometer: 9,294
Enjoy the ride!
__________________
KLRWorld.com Forums - Nighthawk Forums

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:49 PM   #1458
DHmtbr
BikeFreek
 
DHmtbr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Oddometer: 69
Nooooobs here ..........my fiance and I are ridding in on the 2nd. This is our first adventure gathering. We are avid outdoors people and think we have most everything we need IE: well maintained rigs,tool kit, tire repair kit, camping gear with chairs Bla Bla Bla what are some items a lot of "nooobs to the adventure touring scene" might forget about????? Let the flaming begin :0)
DHmtbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:06 PM   #1459
Big_John OP
Colorado Rider
 
Big_John's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Oddometer: 2,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHmtbr View Post
Nooooobs here ..........my fiance and I are ridding in on the 2nd. This is our first adventure gathering. We are avid outdoors people and think we have most everything we need IE: well maintained rigs,tool kit, tire repair kit, camping gear with chairs Bla Bla Bla what are some items a lot of "nooobs to the adventure touring scene" might forget about????? Let the flaming begin :0)

Its a supportive and fun-loving crew. We take care of our Noob's.....especially on the De-Noob'ing night.


........
__________________
John
2004 KTM 950 Adventure S
2004 BMW R1150RT
Pointing the Way http://www.gracemotoadv.com
Big_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:24 PM   #1460
Big_John OP
Colorado Rider
 
Big_John's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Oddometer: 2,961
Here is my plan......

Arrive Wednesday night.

I am getting up Thursday morning and I am going for a ride on the XR650R. I will be crossing back and forth, over the mountains between Silverton, Telluride and Ouray. This will be an 8 hour day of riding with the difficult as high as a 8-9..... Join if you dare. This is an "A" Ride. Yes, you will hear names like....Black Bear, The Steps, Imogene, etc..... Lunch will probably be in Ouray.

On Friday, I will be leading the infamous "Easy, Big Bike Ride". To join, you need to be on a bike over 350 lbs (unless some of the riding ladies would like to join us...in that case they can ride a lighter bike). I will be riding a Suzuki VStrom DL650. In the past, my wife joined me two-up on this ride. (Sadly, the Lane Ladies will not be joining us this year, and it is a wonder that I can do it. Two weeks after the Rendezvous, my oldest daughter is getting married.) The difficulty will be about a 6-7. We will ride up Corkscrew, over a couple of passes and drop into Lake City for lunch. Then we will loop around to the north on pavement and maintained dirt road....swing south and come over Owl Creek Pass to #550, through Ouray and to Silverton. In the difficult areas, we really help each other on the big bikes and I will be lending my riding tips. About 10% of this ride will be an "A" Ride, with about 60% being a "B" Ride and 30% a "C" Ride. As I mentioned, for the 10%, "A" portion....we will be functioning as a team on our big bikes. This route is one of the most epic in North America.

On Saturday, I'm not sure at this time. I need a 6 hour loop where I can be back to camp by 3pm to begin cooking the Rib-Eye Steak Dinner. I will study the maps. I have ridden about 90% of everything in the area....so I might be looking to fill out that missing 10%. Probably, I will be on my Honda XR650R....and this will be a "A"/"B" Ride.


So....besides me.....it is time for Ride Leaders to step up.

"A" Ride is Really Tough (nasty Jeep Trail, single/double track)
"B" Ride is mostly Dirt, but maintained roads
"C" Ride is mostly Pavement

Please step up and chime in. Describe the rides per day and give similar ratings as I have done above. Locals....we need you to step up....or if you have a lot of experience with the San Juans.

Giddy Up!!!!! I am ready to ride!!!!

By the way, each morning, the Ride Leaders will describe their routes and difficulty at the Rider Meeting.

......
__________________
John
2004 KTM 950 Adventure S
2004 BMW R1150RT
Pointing the Way http://www.gracemotoadv.com

Big_John screwed with this post 07-19-2012 at 06:33 PM
Big_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:58 PM   #1461
ScramblerDavis
aka DangerDavis
 
ScramblerDavis's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Amarillo,TX, but Rockies and Utah are best ridin'
Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_John View Post
Here is my plan......

Arrive Wednesday night.

I am getting up Thursday morning and I am going for a ride on the XR650R. I will be crossing back and forth, over the mountains between Silverton, Telluride and Ouray. This will be an 8 hour day of riding with the difficult as high as a 8-9..... Join if you dare. This is an "A" Ride. Yes, you will hear names like....Black Bear, The Steps, Imogene, etc..... Lunch will probably be in Ouray.

On Friday, I will be leading the infamous "Easy, Big Bike Ride". To join, you need to be on a bike over 350 lbs (unless some of the riding ladies would like to join us...in that case they can ride a lighter bike). I will be riding a Suzuki VStrom DL650. In the past, my wife joined me two-up on this ride. (Sadly, the Lane Ladies will not be joining us this year, and it is a wonder that I can do it. Two weeks after the Rendezvous, my oldest daughter is getting married.) The difficulty will be about a 6-7. We will ride up Corkscrew, over a couple of passes and drop into Lake City for lunch. Then we will loop around to the north on pavement and maintained dirt road....swing south and come over Owl Creek Pass to #550, through Ouray and to Silverton. In the difficult areas, we really help each other on the big bikes and I will be lending my riding tips. About 10% of this ride will be an "A" Ride, with about 60% being a "B" Ride and 30% a "C" Ride. As I mentioned, for the 10%, "A" portion....we will be functioning as a team on our big bikes. This route is one of the most epic in North America.

On Saturday, I'm not sure at this time. I need a 6 hour loop where I can be back to camp by 3pm to begin cooking the Rib-Eye Steak Dinner. I will study the maps. I have ridden about 90% of everything in the area....so I might be looking to fill out that missing 10%. Probably, I will be on my Honda XR650R....and this will be a "A"/"B" Ride.


So....besides me.....it is time for Ride Leaders to step up.

"A" Ride is Really Tough (nasty Jeep Trail, single/double track)
"B" Ride is mostly Dirt, but maintained roads
"C" Ride is mostly Pavement

Please step up and chime in. Describe the rides per day and give similar ratings as I have done above. Locals....we need you to step up....or if you have a lot of experience with the San Juans.

Giddy Up!!!!! I am ready to ride!!!!

By the way, each morning, the Ride Leaders will describe their routes and difficulty at the Rider Meeting.

......
Warning!!!! If you ride Big John's "easy big bike ride"...bring your lifevest and floatees!!!
__________________
Ride life's adventures!
ScramblerDavis
visit: www.scramblerdavis.blogspot.com
'07 Triumph Scrambler,'09 Honda XR650L,'86 Kaw.Concours,'00 BMW K1200LT
Member RMAR, COHVCO, NMOHVA, AMA

ScramblerDavis screwed with this post 07-19-2012 at 08:01 PM Reason: increase size of text
ScramblerDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:13 PM   #1462
Tellydoug
Troubador of joy
 
Tellydoug's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: channeling my inner manatee
Oddometer: 6,885
I could do a GS ride or something, level of difficulty determined by the enthusiasm of the participants again, just like last year!

or maybe nobody really wants to do one of my selections, that's OK also.....
__________________
"The Dalai Llama said that on my death bed I would receive total consciousness. So I've got that going for me, which is nice." Carl Spackler

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde
_____________________________
Tellydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:27 PM   #1463
Badjuju
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Badjuju's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: ...your girlfriend's bedroom
Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_John View Post
Here is my plan......

Arrive Wednesday night.

I am getting up Thursday morning and I am going for a ride on the XR650R. I will be crossing back and forth, over the mountains between Silverton, Telluride and Ouray. This will be an 8 hour day of riding with the difficult as high as a 8-9..... Join if you dare. This is an "A" Ride. Yes, you will hear names like....Black Bear, The Steps, Imogene, etc..... Lunch will probably be in Ouray.
Big_John: I'm coming into RMAR Wed nite as well. I'd love to think I could tag along with you for your 'A' ride on Thur. How many miles you think this is gonna be? I'm pretty sure I could make a half-way decent showing, but I have no idea how the elevation will kick my a-s on an 8-hour jaunt. I presume there are bail-out options at lunch and at points further along. I'd be riding a DRZ with 606s, 14-47 gearing and pretty heavy protection (set up for the dirt).

As a second question, the bud I'm bringing will be on his F650GS with Tourances. Would that be too much bike/not enough tire for this ride?

FYI--I am plated and have the CO out-of-state OHV permit. Looking forward to letting you guys hurt me SO BAD that you'll feel too guilty to abuse me in the de-noobing ceremony....
__________________
Some people will tell you that slow is good, and it may be on some days, but I am here to tell you that fast is better... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature
Badjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:29 PM   #1464
Badjuju
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Badjuju's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: ...your girlfriend's bedroom
Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellydoug View Post
...or maybe nobody really wants to do one of my selections, that's OK also...
TD: Big_John warned us NOT TO GO INTO THE WOODS WITH YOU!!!
__________________
Some people will tell you that slow is good, and it may be on some days, but I am here to tell you that fast is better... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature
Badjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:57 PM   #1465
_Magoo_
master of disaster....
 
_Magoo_'s Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: nuevo mexico
Oddometer: 5,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRiding View Post
I will be heading out in the morning for RMAR but I have 10 other states to hit before I get to Colorado.
I'm sorry to hear of your troubles; hope you make it through with minimal damage.....
__________________
-Baja survivor NMOHVA/COHVCO/BRC/AMA/USA-ALL
I'm not a Gynecologist... But I'll have a Look...
2007 Suzuki WeeStrom/2006 KTM450EXC/2001 Honda XR650L/2001 Sherco 290

_Magoo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:04 PM   #1466
Tellydoug
Troubador of joy
 
Tellydoug's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: channeling my inner manatee
Oddometer: 6,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badjuju View Post
TD: Big_John warned us NOT TO GO INTO THE WOODS WITH YOU!!!

That was only if you had four legs and were covered with wool.....

Oops, that reminds me I need to check in with the sheriff and the ASPCA when I get in. Thanks!
__________________
"The Dalai Llama said that on my death bed I would receive total consciousness. So I've got that going for me, which is nice." Carl Spackler

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde
_____________________________
Tellydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:06 PM   #1467
Big_John OP
Colorado Rider
 
Big_John's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Oddometer: 2,961
Pics cannot do justice to sights and scenes....for which the Big Bike Ride will afford.

















__________________
John
2004 KTM 950 Adventure S
2004 BMW R1150RT
Pointing the Way http://www.gracemotoadv.com
Big_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:14 PM   #1468
HappyRiding
Grumpy
 
HappyRiding's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Mountains of NE 10EC
Oddometer: 3,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by burque magoo View Post
I'm sorry to hear of your troubles; hope you make it through with minimal damage.....

Well the first 250 miles will be nice. The three "I" states and Nebraska not so much. Flat and straight make me nervous.
__________________
"Hey I've never seen the sun come up in the west!?!" - Fozzie Bear
HappyRiding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:03 PM   #1469
Jailor8
Beastly Adventurer
 
Jailor8's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Here and there
Oddometer: 2,132
HAve a

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRiding View Post
I will be heading out in the morning for RMAR but I have 10 other states to hit before I get to Colorado.
Have a good safe ride. If you get in a bind 4STAR and myself are trailering out starting on the 30th. Probably could sneak another on the trailer if you broke down someplace near our route (I-70)

Jailor8
__________________
Never push a loyal person to the point they don't care anymore.
No Humans, before Coffee!!
RIP my Mother, She should certainly be up for Sainthood!!
RIP my Cousin, Austin City Limits aka Terry Hammond
KTM950A, KLR685, KLR650, KLR250, KLX250, Honda Rebel, Foretrax Foreman 4x4
Jailor8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:56 PM   #1470
zgfiredude
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Aspen, Colorado
Oddometer: 797
John, we too will be there on Wednesday afternoon.......I'm inclined to send Zach with you on Thursday, and I'll find a B ride to go on with Abbi on her 250. We had some jetting issues on her bike the last day in Meeker, but we have that all sorted (I hope).

If I strap on some ballast, I think I can get the DRZ just over 350 so perhaps I'll try the big bike ride...... or maybe even do it on my motard wheels and tires!

We are really looking forward to this, and know that it is SPECTACULARLY beautiful down there!

See you soon!
zgfiredude is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014