Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2011, 06:09 AM   #16
Xanadu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
I hve the sock KTM and I think they are way to hot even on the lowest setting. Maybe I have senstive hands but I can barelyy stand it on the 1 setting. The #4 setting will melt metal! Maybe I got a weird batch lot or something. I have Powerlet heated gloves and jacket so I hardly use the hand warmers.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:23 AM   #17
jwdub
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
While I haven't installed heated grips on my KTM 950, I have installed a set on my FJR. See: http://www.warmnsafe.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=219

The kit works great and, with the digital pulse controller, you don't waste amps like you do with resistor based controls. On the FJR I was able to install the controller inside the left turn/horn switch housing. Don't know if there's enough room in the KTM switch.
jwdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:48 AM   #18
Tee2
I SAID! Woo Hoo!

Oddometer: 1,230
I just installed some Dual Stars a few weeks ago. For me on low they still get too hot. But I have only used them down to about 40 degrees. I don't notice the left hand being cooler than the right.

A few weeks ago my wife was on the back and we where riding on on the interstate doing 60+ with a 20 MPH wind from 2 o'clock with gust to 50. I was white knuckled and getting cramped up in my arms and shoulders. I turned on the grips and it helped me relax and loosen up. It was a big help, and I think just that one ride was worth the price.

Tee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:13 AM   #19
zedx9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyRoadie View Post
Good question GOTI , I have the older KTM branded grips. The grips look identical but the older style controller has three settings, off, start (which is like hanging onto an exhaust header) and on (which is barely warmer than off). But back to the original question; YES by all means get heated grips if you ride in the cold. They are the next best thing to round tires.
Same here. I liked the fact that they were one piece and I did not have to put stock grips over the elements. I also have the Kaoko throttle friction and used this guide for installation: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...+throttle+lock
I concur with the overly hot start position and luke warm on position. I will probably go to something like a heat-troller with a reostat this winter to get some mid heat range out of them.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:56 PM   #20
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masa View Post
Is this available in the US? The part number comes back with the old two position switch. Can't find it...
Old 10-25-2011, 05:05 PM   #21
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyRoadie View Post
Good question GOTI , I have the older KTM branded grips. The grips look identical but the older style controller has three settings, off, start (which is like hanging onto an exhaust header) and on (which is barely warmer than off). But back to the original question; YES by all means get heated grips if you ride in the cold. They are the next best thing to round tires.
Well, I took a look at the wiring diagram of the old style Daytona/KTM grips and the switch is plug and play so installing the new one will be a half-a-beer job. I feared the wires would come from the grips directly to the switch but nop, they have some connectors between them. So, group buy now !

...it's a shame summer is coming in the southern hemisphere

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:11 PM   #22
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Old 10-25-2011, 05:19 PM   #23
DirtyRoadie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goti View Post
Well, I took a look at the wiring diagram of the old style Daytona/KTM grips and the switch is plug and play so installing the new one will be a half-a-beer job. I feared the wires would come from the grips directly to the switch but nop, they have some connectors between them. So, group buy now !

...it's a shame summer is coming in the southern hemisphere
HMMMMM, wonder if one could buy just the newer style switch or if they hit ya up for the whole enchilada ? I did a 650 mile trip earlier this week with temps in the 40s and 50s. I just crank the grips on high until my hands are burning then I put them on low until they are freezing then .......................well you get the idea.
DirtyRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:10 PM   #24
Groundhog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
I put some on a few years back, forget the brand but they weren't too hot (pun intended). The instructions said to wire them in series with a big resister for the low heat side. I figures I didn't have anything to lose and wired them in parallel through a relay direct from the battery. I figured they would burn out with the extra amps but they are still getting nice and toasty.
If yours are like that you might try wiring in parallel before you toss them.

Horsepower determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque determines the size of the hole you make.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:32 AM   #25
sonoran
null device

Oddometer: 22,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikyto View Post
Is this available in the US? The part number comes back with the old two position switch. Can't find it...
Yeah that looks like a great setup over the US version.

May need to order from the UK.
sonoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:18 PM   #26
Masa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
When I made an order for the bike, I thought I'd get the "old" version - was pleasantly surprised. Suppose they are changing it and depending of the store, you might get new or old, as they are under same number. Googling the number gives different results within various vendors.
Masa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:26 PM   #27
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masa View Post
When I made an order for the bike, I thought I'd get the "old" version - was pleasantly surprised. Suppose they are changing it and depending of the store, you might get new or old, as they are under same number. Googling the number gives different results within various vendors.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll give a few calls to local guys
Old 10-26-2011, 07:06 PM   #28
sonoran
null device

Oddometer: 22,951
Quote:
Thanks for the heads up. I'll give a few calls to local guys
If you find it here in the US please let us know!
sonoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:09 PM   #29
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoran View Post
If you find it here in the US please let us know!
will do!
Old 10-26-2011, 07:39 PM   #30
GordonFreeman OP
Gamer

Oddometer: 1,475
Quote:
will do!
I tried Bike Bandit. They order direct from KTM's warehouse and so can't tell for sure. Said if the newer model is shipping under the same #, then that's what I'd get. I found the new grips on UK sites, same model #. I'd like to hear if anyone else has better luck here in the US.