White pig

b0mb3r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:41 PM   #32
mightymanx
Cheap-ass KLR rider.

Oddometer: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake28 View Post

I'm building a bike that will see road and tarmac 99% of the time. I admit that. I know it. The fact that this is a road bike has nothing to do with the level of 'adventure' which it will provide the platform for. Riding to work on potholed streets in an urban environment is an adventure, daily. Riding through rural areas with a tent and pocket stove bungied to the seat is also an adventure. And if I find gravel, I will ride gravel. And if I find dirt, I will ride dirt. And if I find you, your wife, or your gorgeous daughter, I will politely wave hello and and continue riding on whatever surface I have come across.

The bike never has been, never is, and never will be the limiting factor in my, your, or anyone else's ability to have an adventure.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:25 AM   #33
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,722
The ride is what you make it. Often the most adventurous part of the ride is that space between your ears.

Sometimes when you are more than a few miles from home, the bike and it's capabilities become an important factor in deciding what type of surface to ride, understanding that you are building a street bike certainly helps that.

My wife Paula on her first bike next to the Indian River Lagoon.

Quote:
Short answer: If you have to ask, you are not riding the right roads. More accurately, you are not riding any roads with the correct perspective.

Longer answer: There is a mistaken belief prevalent on this website that dirt has to be involved to have an adventure and that GPS routes, imported CNC-machined master cylinder guards, and extensive debates over tire compounds and oil viscosities are necessary to prepare for an adventure.

No.

I'm building a bike that will see road and tarmac 99% of the time. I admit that. I know it. The fact that this is a road bike has nothing to do with the level of 'adventure' which it will provide the platform for. Riding to work on potholed streets in an urban environment is an adventure, daily. Riding through rural areas with a tent and pocket stove bungied to the seat is also an adventure. And if I find gravel, I will ride gravel. And if I find dirt, I will ride dirt. And if I find you, your wife, or your gorgeous daughter, I will politely wave hello and and continue riding on whatever surface I have come across.

The bike never has been, never is, and never will be the limiting factor in my, your, or anyone else's ability to have an adventure.

From "Song of the Sausage Creature" by Hunter S. Thompson

"Pure speed in sixth gear on a 5,000-foot straightaway is one thing, but pure speed in third gear on a gravel-strewn downhill ess turn is quite another.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:46 AM   #34
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,841
Quote:
These are excellent leads. I didn't know there were two grounds, the only one I have come across and saw in the manual was on the engine case. I'll hunt down the frame ground later (hints appreciated).

EDIT:
Located the frame ground (no help from kawasaki manual on that one). Intact, connected.

I borrowed a multimeter and went at the bike in a rather simian fashion. I readily admit I'm not sure what I was doing, but I did get results. Multimeter set to Ohms (Omega sign) resistance (I think). Battery leads hooked up directly to a tender.

There was power at the ECU fuse, the main fuse, the ignition, and both grounds. There was no sign of life at the dash, or the starter. What next oh electircal lords?
Wrong setting on the multimeter. What you checked was resistance (continuity), what you want to check for is voltage. You should definitely not "have power" at the grounds, that's supposed to be the reference point for the 12 volt system.

Switch your meter to DC voltage (should be a V with a straight line, not a wavy line). Clip the black lead to your ground and then move through the system with the red lead to see where you lose voltage. Start at the battery, check the fuses and relays that you already identified...
TheOtherBart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:53 AM   #35
OaklandStrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
Quote:
I borrowed a multimeter and went at the bike in a rather simian fashion. I readily admit I'm not sure what I was doing, but I did get results. Multimeter set to Ohms (Omega sign) resistance (I think). Battery leads hooked up directly to a tender.

There was power at the ECU fuse, the main fuse, the ignition, and both grounds. There was no sign of life at the dash, or the starter. What next oh electircal lords?
Where in the Bay Area are you?

I have a bit of free time and a multimeter. I could possibly lend a hand.
OaklandStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:45 AM   #36
jake28 OP
Riding to the horizon.

Oddometer: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandStrom View Post
Where in the Bay Area are you?

I have a bit of free time and a multimeter. I could possibly lend a hand.
Thank the lord, thank the lord.

PM'ed.

jake28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:19 PM   #37
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,474
Quote:
Yah, I'm going to take you up on that offer. I've heard that you can build your own cables, but I've never done it or seen it done. I would do it just for the experience. Let me know what your preferred beverage and moto work area is and I'll see you there.
Actually, I don't drink anymore, and trying to not be a fat middle-aged bastard, so pretty much all I drink these days is water and V8 juice. Maybe we can go eat a burrito after.

We should do it at my crib. I'm stacked crazy with work for about another week. We can make plans then.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:40 PM   #38
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al View Post
Actually, I don't drink anymore, and trying to not be a fat middle-aged bastard, so pretty much all I drink these days is water and V8 juice. Maybe we can go eat a burrito after.

We should do it at my crib. I'm stacked crazy with work for about another week. We can make plans then.
Burritos def want stay with you long enough to make you fat.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:32 PM   #39
jake28 OP
Riding to the horizon.

Step 6: Ignition swap

I small impediment but one that was certainly annoying. Luckily it was easy to know off the to-do-list, right after "get bike running."

Ingredients:
1 - ninja 636 top triple clamp and ignition
1- ninja 650 top triple clamp and ignition
1- drill bit
1 - drill
1- vice

Drill out the heads of the bolts, pop ignitions off, voila. The only discrepancy is that you have to pop off the plastic cover on the ninja ignition so that it can fit in the ignition hole of the 636 top triple. If you really need the cover to tell you when your bike is on or off, you probably shouldn't be riding. And if you do, a sharpie is an easy solution.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:20 PM   #40
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 2,022
Quote:
There is a mistaken belief prevalent on this website that dirt has to be involved to have an adventure and that GPS routes, imported CNC-machined master cylinder guards, and extensive debates over tire compounds and oil viscosities are necessary to prepare for an adventure.
HEE!HEE!HEE!

How to win friends and influence people........

I ride my Vmax to work (well, I do when the bloody gearbox isn't in bits to fix 2nd.......again........dammit), some of which involves crossing a mossy, slippery causeway over a creek, and enough corrugated red dirt (if I'm REALLY lucky, it has slippery red clay on top of that) to shake my rear guard frame to bits.......literally!
The old Kaboom SM did it easy, an amazing capable bike that one........everything the Vmax is not!
You really have to ride one to remember just how truly terrifying they can be, and that's just trying to stop the thing at your first sign, let alone a corner.

This old '80s tank is twice the fun at half the speed, if you can call forgetting to breathe coz you can't ride for shit on gravel fun. Now I just blame the bike, everyone believes me, it's all good.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:22 PM   #41
theWolfTamer
Lupie on a Mission

Oddometer: 395

Check out theWolfTamer Chronicles, my blog about my motorcycle life
theWolfTamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:51 PM   #42
Viser
Yeeeeaaaahhh!

Oddometer: 41
Subscribed! Watching and taking notes, these bikes just seem to be a great platform. I love what jdrocks has done with his (makes me want to put knobbies on the wife's SV), but I can't wait to see your street fighter version ready for adventure!

...oh, and keep up the good writing!
Viser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:48 PM   #43
dentedvw
Where did I put that

Oddometer: 2,151
Strong work!
I learned something, I didn't know there was a Ninja 636. So, what years were the 650, and where does one generally find the crashed ones?
I have a Triumph for sale now.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:30 PM   #44
jake28 OP
Riding to the horizon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentedvw View Post
Strong work!
I learned something, I didn't know there was a Ninja 636. So, what years were the 650, and where does one generally find the crashed ones?
The ninja 636 was issued for a couple years (02-06) when Kawasaki wasn't overly concerned about homoligation issues. They offered the Ninja 636RR which in fact was a 600 for racing purposes. In '07 they stopped the shenanigans and only offered one model.

As for crashed 650s in your neighborhood, there are a couple resources in the first link, a wealth of knowledge on this site, and the place I have found a couple is here.

jake28 screwed with this post 11-11-2011 at 11:53 AM
Old 10-29-2011, 07:49 PM   #45
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentedvw View Post
Strong work!
Try looking here KAWASAKI NINJA 650R
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote