User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2011, 04:14 AM   #1
SOS OP
Ignorance is a gift

Oddometer: 707
Another old bike out of the boneyard - TX750

I found an old, ratty and rusty TX750 in a motorcycle junk yard last Fall. It had a cool looking motor and the early Yamaha alloy rims that I wanted for an XS650 street tracker project that I keep threatening to do. It also had good fork tubes (also for the XS650).

Someone had done a sort of Brat / Bobber treatment to it in the past and I liked the yard-art look so I bought it and stuck it in the shop window. I figured I'd tear it down for the wheels, forks and swing arm and scrap the rest when I started the XS650 street tracker. Well, things were slow at work week or two ago so I threw it up on the rack to see if I could get it going. Cleaned the carbs (they actually looked really good except that the needles were in upside-down), checked the timing, made sure it had oil and valve clearance, threw an aux tank and a battery charger on it and it fired right up.

It smoked pretty good (I had put some oil in the cylinders) and the wiring harness was a total mess so I didn't want to run it long. Frankly, it startled me when it started. I wasn't really expecting it to fire. I shut it down and started to research the bike a bit. Yesterday I made a simple (temporary) wiring harness to get the charging and ignition in order. I had cleaned the inside of the tank and put new gaskets in the petcocks, did the rest of the motor maintenance and fired it up again. Seemed to run good, but still smoked a fair amount. I've seen that before with bikes that have sat for a long time and usually (but not always) the motor tightens up and the smoking quits after a few miles. We'll see with this one.

I'd been following bulldog1980's thread on his TX750 and got quite a bit of information from there. The 1973 models like mine have whole host of issues with the motors. There were significant recalls to try to fix the issues and the only one that I can see at this point is I do have the extended oil sump. Hopefully I also have the balancer adjuster mod. I should be able to find out in the next day or two.

I'm not sure were I'm gonna take this one. It is way too far gone for a stock bike. Too bad because they were really good looking bikes stock. It already has a backyard bob look that I kinda like, so I'll probably continue with that. And now I still need forks and wheels for the XS650
Old 10-26-2011, 04:20 AM   #2
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOS View Post
I found an old, ratty and rusty TX750 in a motorcycle junk yard last Fall. It had a cool looking motor and the early Yamaha alloy rims that I wanted for an XS650 street tracker project that I keep threatening to do. It also had good fork tubes (also for the XS650).

Someone had done a sort of Brat / Bobber treatment to it in the past and I liked the yard-art look so I bought it and stuck it in the shop window. I figured I'd tear it down for the wheels, forks and swing arm and scrap the rest when I started the XS650 street tracker. Well, things were slow at work week or two ago so I threw it up on the rack to see if I could get it going. Cleaned the carbs (they actually looked really good except that the needles were in upside-down), checked the timing, made sure it had oil and valve clearance, threw an aux tank and a battery charger on it and it fired right up.

It smoked pretty good (I had put some oil in the cylinders) and the wiring harness was a total mess so I didn't want to run it long. Frankly, it startled me when it started. I wasn't really expecting it to fire. I shut it down and started to research the bike a bit. Yesterday I made a simple (temporary) wiring harness to get the charging and ignition in order. I had cleaned the inside of the tank and put new gaskets in the petcocks, did the rest of the motor maintenance and fired it up again. Seemed to run good, but still smoked a fair amount. I've seen that before with bikes that have sat for a long time and usually (but not always) the motor tightens up and the smoking quits after a few miles. We'll see with this one.

I'd been following bulldog1980's thread on his TX750 and got quite a bit of information from there. The 1973 models like mine have whole host of issues with the motors. There were significant recalls to try to fix the issues and the only one that I can see at this point is I do have the extended oil sump. Hopefully I also have the balancer adjuster mod. I should be able to find out in the next day or two.

I'm not sure were I'm gonna take this one. It is way too far gone for a stock bike. Too bad because they were really good looking bikes stock. It already has a backyard bob look that I kinda like, so I'll probably continue with that. And now I still need forks and wheels for the XS650
Those alloy rims were a beautiful rip off of an Akront, done by DID, (the chain people)
Old 10-26-2011, 02:56 PM   #3
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,187
XS650 street trackers aren't exactly rare, but ANY TX750 is! Carry on!

PS: As someone else would shortly ask anyway, "any pics?".
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:17 PM   #4
pbarmy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,818

Here it is.
pbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:45 PM   #5
SOS OP
Ignorance is a gift

Quote:
Originally Posted by HapHazard View Post
XS650 street trackers aren't exactly rare, but ANY TX750 is! Carry on!

PS: As someone else would shortly ask anyway, "any pics?".
Yep. Took some today while I was using the info that concours posted.

Here is basically what it looks like minus a couple parts that I had taken off but not too many.

The bike starts right up now. The tank has been cleaned, petcocks rebuilt, the motor is leak free though it is smoking pretty good. I need to get a compression check, but it seems to be very good. It is a 1973 so I did not know if the recalls (extended oil sump and balancer adjuster) were done, but it looks like they have.

The extended oil pan:

And the balancer adjuster, you can tell by the bending lock plate:

The first time I started it before I pulled the wiring the charging system was working at least somewhat. When I turned the battery charger off it kept running. The wiring was such a mess I was afraid to run it much so I found a wiring diagram and started pairing it down to what I needed for the ignition and charging systems.

Here is the original diagram:

Then I cut it down to how I plan on running it. Eliminating the reserve lighting and other misc items:

This is the way I have it wired right now. The ignition is fine but I am getting no charging at all. 12.5 volts on the unloaded battery and 12.1 with the bike running.

I checked the connections and the original print again, but I don't see anything that would prevent the charging. There is no output from the stator. The stator is not grounded on any of the windings. I certainly didn't spend much time making up the harness, but it is per the last print.

This bike has field windings so when I got no voltage from the stator I thought I wasn't getting power to the field windings, but I checked and I am getting 12 volts to ground on both wires (green and black). I can't find anything wrong with the diagram that I am using for start up (please chime in if you do) so at this point I think I need to build a harness with proper connections. I'd like to check the charging system and get a couple miles on the motor before I pull it out to start the project.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:59 PM   #6
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,486
apart from the abortion of a seat/tail, that thing is pretty rad
villageidiot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:39 PM   #7
pbarmy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot View Post
apart from the abortion of a seat/tail, that thing is pretty rad
Seat,tail,battery box!Fucker was full of wasps when we fetched it from the boneyard.

Cool engine.
pbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:08 PM   #8
c1skout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Sweet! That's a regular hens tooth there.
c1skout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:20 PM   #9
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOS View Post
The 1973 models like mine have whole host of issues with the motors.

It is way too far gone for a stock bike.
It's good to see you realize those 2 points about that particular bike.... it would be a shame to dump the necessary time and funds into a restoration only to have the motor fail.

Pity to cuz they were a sweet looking bike, I had a friend buy one new but he wrecked it long before the motor could calve.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:40 PM   #10
SOS OP
Ignorance is a gift

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonny View Post
It's good to see you realize those 2 points about that particular bike.... it would be a shame to dump the necessary time and funds into a restoration only to have the motor fail.

Pity to cuz they were a sweet looking bike, I had a friend buy one new but he wrecked it long before the motor could calve.
From what I've read they can be reliable with the mods. I do like these bikes stock, but this one is not the bike for that. I am looking forward to riding this one around town though
Old 10-26-2011, 08:39 PM   #11
don-vee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
I'd knock that wasp box off the back with a sledgehammer, then cruise that everywhere and wake the neighbors. What a gnarly machine! Love it!
don-vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:07 AM   #12
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonny View Post

....had mine doing the ton Sunday!
Old 10-27-2011, 05:57 AM   #13
SOS OP
Ignorance is a gift

Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post
....had mine doing the ton Sunday!
Awesome! I think I'll put some brakes on and new shoes on before this beauty does the ton
Old 10-27-2011, 11:34 AM   #14
Ddouble
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
I had one of these "back in the day". I loved it. More sophisticated than the 2 strokers that came before it, and I preferred it to my buddy's CB750. Nice looking, handled great, sounded good. I had 2 trouble free years with it until I stuffed it into an Oldsmobile. Stupid kid! (me).
Ddouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:42 AM   #15
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,309
There's one here for sale cheap that is a runner.