Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2011, 10:44 AM   #16
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot View Post
apart from the abortion of a seat/tail, that thing is pretty rad
That is the worst seat tail thingy I have ever seen!
Old 10-27-2011, 04:40 PM   #17
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
There's one here for sale cheap that is a runner.
Where?
Old 10-27-2011, 04:42 PM   #18
concours
WFO for 41 years

Quote:
+1 I reckon that's what happens when kids with lot's of energy watch Monster Garage and American Chopper back to back. Reality show idea birth defects.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:05 PM   #19
SOS OP
Ignorance is a gift

Oddometer: 705
Quote:
Just when I decided to keep it

Didn't get a chance to dink with it today. Too busy in the shop and had to get home right after closing.

I was going to cut the back section off today, but I did look more closely at it and it is bolted on. I'll pull it tomorrow and see if I can stuff a battery behind the oil tank. The starter is long gone and I'd pull it anyway for a bike like this, so I don't need much in the way of amp-hours.

I was thinking about my charging issue. I was getting 12 volts to ground on both the green and black wires to the field winding. With no output from the stator at all it seems like I have a field voltage problem. Looking at the diagram again there is a ground on the black wire so I should see no voltage black to ground and 12 volts green to black (aka ground).

I didn't get a chance to look at the wiring today, but I'll check tomorrow. I'm certainly not an electrician, if you couldn't tell.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:52 AM   #20
SOS OP
Ignorance is a gift

Is this a little better?

Lost the rear tail section And I'll be able to get a battery behind the oil tank

Also got the charging sorted out. It was the ground (or lack of ground) from the voltage regulator. 13.8 volts at idle and about 14.7 with some rpm.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:23 PM   #21
concours
WFO for 41 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOS View Post
Lost the rear tail section And I'll be able to get a battery behind the oil tank

Also got the charging sorted out. It was the ground (or lack of ground) from the voltage regulator. 13.8 volts at idle and about 14.7 with some rpm.
Well done!
Old 10-30-2011, 11:23 AM   #22
lsettle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
SOS- That was a simple fix to get her charging. The mechanical voltage reg can also be adjusted if need be.

I will be following your thread.

If you want to update your rectifier, they should be easily be made up using two 276-1185 Full Wave Bridge rectifiers - http://www.amckayltd.com/rect.jpg

Lawrence
lsettle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:26 AM   #23
SOS OP
Ignorance is a gift

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsettle View Post
SOS- That was a simple fix to get her charging. The mechanical voltage reg can also be adjusted if need be.

I will be following your thread.

If you want to update your rectifier, they should be easily be made up using two 276-1185 Full Wave Bridge rectifiers - http://www.amckayltd.com/rect.jpg

Lawrence
I haven't made my own electrical parts just yet, but I should. I deal with the old 70s bikes that have weak systems at best.

I got the bike on the road for a short (and very slow) test ride. I wanted to hit all the gears, but the best I could do was get into 3rd. There are no front brakes and the rear brakes were very weak. Here's why

It might help if the linings were actually attached to the shoes

It is smoking quite a bit after it runs for a few minutes. I'll order some stem seals along with the rear shoes today. Picked up a spare front end because it had a caliper on it, but when I got it back to the shop the pistons were gone Should have looked more carefully I guess.

The bike actually has quite a bit of torque. Kick starting it and riding it reminds me of my '75 XLCH, but without all the vibration. Should be fun to ride. I'm looking for a taillight to mount on the rear fender. Need to build a holder for the battery behind the oil tank, build a seat pan and decide on some bars. Also, need to come up with a fairly stout skid plate.

With the extended oil pan that hangs below the frame rails and the 1 1/2" or so that the bike has been lowered I'm afraid that the case will smack the ground on the first big bump. That would suck.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:04 PM   #24
lsettle
Adventurer

SOS-

I had the same problem with the back shoes. Two weeks ago, I went to the local MC dealer and picked up a set that fit a Virago, worked great.

Here is a list that "should" work for you....

XJ650L Turbo '82-'83
XJ650 Seca '82
XVS650 ALL Models '98-'06
TX750 '73-'74
XJ750 Maxim/Seca '81-'83
XV700/750 Virago '84-'97
XJ700 Maxim/Maxim-X '85-'86
XV920 Virago/Seca '81-'83
XV1000 '84-'85
XV1100 '86-'99 Virago

Lawrence
Old 11-03-2011, 02:05 PM   #25
lsettle
Adventurer

Also valve stem seals are the same as on the XS650 engine, Mikes XS sells them along with the needed tail light for a reasonable price online.

Lawrence
Old 11-03-2011, 04:59 PM   #26
SOS OP
Ignorance is a gift

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsettle View Post
Also valve stem seals are the same as on the XS650 engine, Mikes XS sells them along with the needed tail light for a reasonable price online.

Lawrence
Thanks for the tips. The shoes just came in today and the seals will be in next week. I haven't had a chance to work with the TX. Needed to install a new back door at the shop before winter set in. Maybe some progress tomorrow.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:33 PM   #27
SOS OP
Ignorance is a gift

Not much done on the TX ... waiting for the stem seals to get here to see if I can get the smoking under control. Parts for this one aren't easy to come by. I did get a bit of good news though. The title is in the mail Bought it as a parts bike without really intending on getting her on the road.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:31 AM   #28
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,033

Great thread.

Please drop everything else you're doing & concentrate on rebuilding this bike & writing about it.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 02:50 PM   #29
SOS OP
Ignorance is a gift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post

Great thread.

Please drop everything else you're doing & concentrate on rebuilding this bike & writing about it.

Thanks! I'll do my best Gotta get the stem seals in and installed to see if the motor will need more work or not. Getting some ideas about the gas tank. I'm thinking I want to dish the sides. I took a 1979 XS650 tank into the shop that I will not be using for the 650 project and I want to see if it would be easy to fit to the TX750. I'm hesitant to start cutting up the TX tank. My fabrication skills are somewhat suspect
Old 11-06-2011, 07:10 PM   #30
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOS View Post
Not much done on the TX ... waiting for the stem seals to get here to see if I can get the smoking under control.
I was just reading "Rider" magazine - there was a column that said that a CB450 with 10,000 miles that had sat for 10 years was "smoking like a cropduster". They put Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders, let it sit for a week, and after some initial smoke, the smoking stopped. They thought it un-varnished and un-stuck the rings. Worth a try, no?
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote