Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2011, 04:12 AM   #31
SOS OP
Ignorance is a gift

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by HapHazard View Post
I was just reading "Rider" magazine - there was a column that said that a CB450 with 10,000 miles that had sat for 10 years was "smoking like a cropduster". They put Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders, let it sit for a week, and after some initial smoke, the smoking stopped. They thought it un-varnished and un-stuck the rings. Worth a try, no?
I haven't added any oil before, but I have had a couple bikes that cleared up after they got some time on them. My GL1000 did pretty much the same thing and I ride that one all over now with no problems. The issue with this one is I don't have it legal for the rode yet and it is so damn loud that I wouldn't make it far without getting pulled over. Also, the only electrical now is the ignition and charging, not even a headlight or taillight yet.

Got some other projects going while I waiting for the TX seals, but hopefully they will be in this week. I want to test fit the XS650 tank to it. If that is an easy swap I might start working on that.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:19 AM   #32
SOS OP
Ignorance is a gift

I do think that it is often the rings that get tied up after sitting for long periods of time. This bike has very good compression though (could still be the oil ring).
Old 11-08-2011, 09:03 AM   #33
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,356
if it's got good compression, think valve guides
Old 11-08-2011, 10:15 AM   #34
SOS OP
Ignorance is a gift

Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post
if it's got good compression, think valve guides
I'm trying not too
Old 11-08-2011, 11:37 AM   #35
pbarmy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,818
Think,"For sale"
pbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:43 AM   #36
SOS OP
Ignorance is a gift

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarmy View Post
Think,"For sale"
Kinda attached to this ugly step-child

You bringing the TV for bike night?
Old 11-08-2011, 01:45 PM   #37
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 2,292
I like your builds, nice work.

Where are you in Ohio? I have relatives in Ohio and if I go visit them your shop might be a good excuse to take a day for myself.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:59 PM   #38
SOS OP
Ignorance is a gift

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
I like your builds, nice work.

Where are you in Ohio? I have relatives in Ohio and if I go visit them your shop might be a good excuse to take a day for myself.
Thanks. We're in Toledo. Stop by if you get a chance. A couple inmates have come by and your always welcome.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:03 AM   #39
lsettle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
SOS- The CB360 that you did up in a cafe style, wow great job, she is beautiful!

Lawrence
lsettle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 03:12 PM   #40
SOS OP
Ignorance is a gift

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsettle View Post
SOS- The CB360 that you did up in a cafe style, wow great job, she is beautiful!

Lawrence
Thanks! I want to take this one in a slightly different direction. Got the title in the mail today
Old 11-28-2011, 05:06 AM   #41
SOS OP
Ignorance is a gift

Haven't got a chance to work on the TX at all lately. Been starting it up hoping that the smoke would die down, but no luck Can't replace the stem seals with the motor in the bike and I had trouble sleeping yesterday so off to the shop.

Pulling the motor with that extended oil sump just wasn't going to happen ... at least not by myself so it had to come off. Other than that it came out pretty easily.

The oil looked pretty dark when I drained it. Probably less than an hour on that oil so I didn't know what the inside was going to look like, but not bad.

The cam and upper valve train look very nice. Hopefully the stem seals won't look as good

Had the motor at TDC on the left cylinder (360 degree motor so both are actually at TDC but the left one is on the compression stroke). Started to pull the rocker shaft for the exhaust valve with a make shift puller.

That worked all right, but you need to keep switching socket and bolt lengths. Took awhile, but that came out with no issues.

That's as far as I could get. Hopefully get the stem seals replaced today and get the grime off the frame and motor. I'll throw the motor back in and see if the seals fixed the problem. Don't want to pull the head so I'll try to check for play at the guides but I'm not counting on being able to tell much.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:24 PM   #42
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,343
I always had a soft spot for these bikes. They deserved a much better fate than most of them got.I worked at a Yamaha dealer in the mid-eighties, and there were a couple of these things in the boneyard rotting away. A pretty sad end for what was a pretty advanced design at the time. Yamaha gave up and put all their time & effort into the completely unbreakable, roller bearings everywhere, XS650.
Should have been a great bike, instead it was a grenade with the pin pulled. It was a case of when not if, something was going to happen.
It will be good if you can take the time and effort it deserves. Set up properly, it should be a very nice ride.
It's only time and money, right.
keep posting.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:18 PM   #43
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,929
I love the look of this engine. I've been following. Several people have mentioned there is some basic design weakness this engine has. The extended oil sump is evidence. But what is the fix to make this ultimately dependable? Just what is supposedly the problem?

Charlie
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:37 PM   #44
SOS OP
Ignorance is a gift

From what I have read there were 3 main problems. The first was the non-adjustable balancer which eventually lead to significant vibration. Not sure if this was damaging or just annoying, but as far as I know it was fixed with the recall and the addition of the new balancer adjuster. The second was that at extended high rpm the balancer would froth the oil in the original sump and starve the motor, hence the extended sump. The last problem that I have read about is porous engine cases, the case housing the points in particular. I've heard of varoius fixes including new cases, new seals and even drilling a hole at the base of the points to drain the oil rather than having the oil get to the points.

As for this one, it has the recall adjuster for the balancer, the extended oil sump and I do not see any evidence of oil seeping past the case. Granted I do not know the history and there was no speedometer so I have no idea what kind of milage is on it. I would assume very little based on the the cam and the fact that I can still see cross-hatch marks on the cylinder walls through the plug hole.

I didn't get a chance to work on the stem seals today ... maybe tomorrow though. I'm eagar to get it running right before I start working on the frame and body. There is a stock one for sale locally for $1200 that I would like to have. It is a very nice looking bike stock. Now is not the time for me though; putting all the extra cash into the shop, but maybe next year
Old 11-28-2011, 06:15 PM   #45
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,929
Thanks for the info. I found some of that myself. I felt guilty for not doing a little research at least. I read about the recall and the vibration damper churning the oil. I think your telling of it was more direct than anything I found tho. Thanks.

So having the updates is a good sign I think and it is probably low mileage. I would think the vibration damper could also use some modern tweeking? But I only "think" this. I don't have any experience with such things.

Good Luck. I'll be following

Charlie
disston is online now   Reply With Quote