Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2011, 03:09 AM   #46
SOS OP
Ignorance is a gift

Oddometer: 692
Finally got a chance to pull the first stem seal And when I tried to fit the new seal it is way too small That's what I get for not checking the OEM numbers. The supplier's catalog is wrong and of course the ones that I need are backordered.

Guess I'll start cleaning the bike
Old 12-01-2011, 06:39 AM   #47
ctune80
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
I'm a big fan of the TX, it has a lot of technology that was ahead of it's time. With a little more
development they could have fixed its ills . Yamaha wanted to distance itself from the bike and
just made it go away. A shame really.

Recently, I visited the Yamaha dealer where we bought all of our Yamaha dirt bikes in the late
60's early 70's. He loved talking about the old Enduro series bikes, when I told him I liked the TX
his attitude changed, he told me about the long hours changing parts and unhappy customers
from a perspective of a guy that lived through it.

My experience is that if maintained, and not ridden at the redline all the time, it is quite reliable.
It is a great looking bike, and in todays environment, most people have never seen one!
The oil frothing was a bigger problem when using oils from the 70's that didn't have the additives of
modern oils to prevent it. Synthetic is best. You will have to figure out an Oil Filter solution
there are a few ideas out there. Here is a pic of one of my TX motors showing the filter
covering the countershaft sprocket!

Here is a link to ClassicYams article about the TX and the way the recall was handled. It
even shows a couple TX750 race bikes from the day.

http://www.classicyams.com/street-bi...750-story.html
ctune80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:04 PM   #48
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 4,941
Be sure to visit here: http://www.tobyfolwick.com/tx750/magnbook.php

click on all the tabs on the right and read up.

concours screwed with this post 12-01-2011 at 03:40 PM
concours is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:25 PM   #49
d mc gee
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Not mine no affiliations.

1973 YAMAHA TX750 - $1200 (Northwood)

Date: 2011-12-02, 6:14PM EST
Reply to: sale-mczrq-2720048484@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

1973 TX750, 16,170 miles
NEW Dunlop 404 tires with less than 100 miles
new points and plugs, oil change and air filt
new aftermarket exhaust
This bike rides well and sounds great.
Original paint, chrome is in great shape. This is a survivor from the early 70's in very good condition.
Kick start only as the starter clutch does not engage.
Needs mirriors and has fuel leak from carbs that stops once you ride for a couple miles, seat cover beginning to split at seams

please no offers for trades.

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 2720048484

01 1150 GS
84 R100RS
74 XL350
d mc gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:12 PM   #50
SOS OP
Ignorance is a gift

Quote:
Originally Posted by d mc gee View Post

1973 TX750, 16,170 miles
new aftermarket exhaust
Original paint, chrome is in great shape. This is a survivor from the early 70's in very good condition.
Needs mirriors and has fuel leak from carbs that stops once you ride for a couple miles, seat cover beginning to split at seams

Yeah.That is a freind of a friend that I talked to at the DUX races last Sunday. I'd really consider it, but any extra money goes into the shop right now. That's why I'm such a cheap-ass on this project
Old 12-13-2011, 04:38 PM   #51
SOS OP
Ignorance is a gift

Still smoking

Got a chance to change the stem seals, but she's still smoking. Now it is mostly the right cylinder under throttle. I'll keep starting it up and running it while I track down a gasket set and source some rings. Could not feel any movement between the valve stems and guides, old stem seals were obviously worn, has good compression and power. All things look good except for the smoke .

To get the motor in and out the extended oil sump has to come off so I took the opportunity to check the omni-balancer chain adjustment.

With the motor in 3 positions the weight end-play should be 0.3mm to 0.4mm at the tightest. That is 0.012" to 0.016". This one measured 0.013" to 0.017"

The motor sounds very lumpy like an old ironhead, but very, very little vibration ... so I guess that's good.

Tonight I took some scrap sheet metal and an old turn signal and started mocking int up.

I gutted the turn signal to swap out the socket for a dual filament socket to function as a taillight and brake light. That's about as far as I got tonight.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:32 AM   #52
lsettle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
SOS- If you ever need a photo of anything on my bone stock TX750, just PM. I would be more than happy to help out.

Did you use the XS65 valve seals?

Lawrence
lsettle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:52 AM   #53
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 11,014
Yikes,a friend rode an old clapped out bike like that down the road to try it out,the brake shoes came off the backing pieces like yours did and locked the wheel,pitched him right over the bars on to the pavemento.

Best of luck with your TX,ebay has parts for them for pennies on the dollar,demand is very close to 0 for parts so cheap is the word.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:58 AM   #54
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 11,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by d mc gee View Post

1973 TX750, 16,170 miles
new aftermarket exhaust

I was lucky enough to find one in Chico for 150.00 that was much like that,it was for sale for many months. Complete rebuilt engine,no scuffs. Stock mufflers are worth $.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:20 PM   #55
SOS OP
Ignorance is a gift

I'll have to double check if the stem seals fit the XS650. I know that they are the same as the SR500. Every catalog that I have has them listed incorrectly and I passed that info on to them, but I don't know if they will fix it. Anyway I have the right ones in there now. The OEM number is 341-12119-02-00.

Also have new brake shoes on the project shelf and a freind just dropped off a caliper from an RD350 that is the same (though mounted on the opposite side) on Saturday. I've got the bleed screws soaking in PB Blaster and might get the front brakes working tomorrow.

Learned that like the early Honda calipers, these Yamaha calipers are also reversable. You just change which holes you use for the mounting and then the one bolt that just binds the 2 sides. That is making me consider using an old XS or TX 650 front end that I have that accepts dual calipers. I have another caliper body, but no pistons. Anyway, that is a sidetrack

Been running the bike each day trying to free the piston rings. With the good compression, good power, tight valve guides and new stem seals I can't get past that it is just the rings that are tight from sitting. As of Saturday, it is down to just moderate smoke from the right side on the openning and closing of the throttle. Much better than before and the left side is fine. New rings certainly wouldn't hurt, but since I can't just order new gasket sets and rings I'll see where this one goes.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:26 PM   #56
SOS OP
Ignorance is a gift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
I was lucky enough to find one in Chico for 150.00 that was much like that,it was for sale for many months. Complete rebuilt engine,no scuffs. Stock mufflers are worth $.
That is a great find! I love many of the more popular bikes, but I have the most fun with these outcast bikes; the CB360 made into my cafe, the XS750 triple and this TX750 twin that I'm working on this Winter. The bikes and parts are cheap, they have character and when you're done you don't have the same thing that everyone else has. Give me the rejects
Old 02-28-2012, 06:11 PM   #57
concours
WFO for 41 years

any progress on this bobber?
Old 02-29-2012, 03:58 AM   #58
SOS OP
Ignorance is a gift

Not lately. I found a source for electrical harness plugs and pins that I ordered in to build the new wiring harness so that it will actually plug into the existing components. Then I pulled all the wiring and each of the mateing plugs got backordered. Supposedly they will be here in early March.

Anyway I've been trying to finish off the F11 dual sport and collecting parts for an XS650 motard. I'll get the TX on the road here shortly ... I hope
Old 11-18-2012, 03:35 PM   #59
concours
WFO for 41 years

Is she up and running?
Old 11-20-2012, 04:02 AM   #60
SOS OP
Ignorance is a gift

Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post
Is she up and running?
No. Haven't touched her in awhile

I have the wiring parts and the schematics are slimmed down for a bobber, but just haven't had any time to spare. I've been working on a XS650 ADV bike that a local magazine is cronicalling. Between trying to keep updates for that, pulling in a new inventory system for the shop (PITA) and a briken collar bone this summer time has been hard to come by.

The TX will get done over the winter though