excellent 3 37.50%
poor 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-27-2011, 07:16 AM   #1
vaish OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Rides To the Forrest

Tuesday morning i got a sms from my friend " Are you Free tomorrow " as 26th October is a Depawali a festival of lights in India . i replied hem " yes " .. then his reply " so here is the deal we will be riding to Idamalayar Dam , will start at Morning 5 am .. are you in " i said yeah why not .. as we had a long ride to Wagamon a hill station 10days back and i had a small crash while riding back .. so i just got the bike back after the re work and was set for the ride ..

well it was a short one day ride covering a distance of 250km ... Idamalayar is a reserved Forrest area which in located in Eranakulam District , Kerala - state . INDIA . i started by 4.45 am and meet my friend who is always late as usual by 5.45am .. i got pissed of waiting for hem on road side for some 40min .. as now the weather is cold and raining.. the morning was bit cold .. then we started the ride from Ernakulam and meet the 3rd rider at Permbavor and had a small Tea break there and we reached Idamalayar by 6am . we actually missed a Board sign " saying NO ENTRY to Idamalayar Dam .. we got caught by the Forrest Guards at the end ..

this is just taken some 100m before the dam " sorry we sdid not took the picture of dam its not allowed
From left Yamaha FZ - A 150cc bike totally a city commuting , then YZF R15 - 150cc a track tool which we took for a OFF road and then my bike Yamaha SZR - 150 cc same spec like for FZ but a low bhp then FZ .

by the time we 3 riders reached the dam then some formality of giving our address and bike registrations and we rode back and took a turn in between the Forrest which lead to the other side of Forrest and then we can reach the Dam .. well what do we see a CHECK POST again and the Forrest guard " go back bikers .. the place has been closed for tourist from last 3 months dint you guys saw the board there ... NO WE DINT

now what do we do ?

then we just took a route as we say " Young riders pick a destination and go... Old riders pick a direction and go " and we rode vattatupara, thattekad, pooyamkutty forest through uravapetty.. we have no idea where we riding to .. just know this is all a big Forrest and any time a wild elephant can jump in ...

The confusion point

we stopped the bike as the roads became hell NO slippery mud due to rain, stones were so big that the bikes started missing from one end to the other ... and now chance of more to meet Mr. Elephant . we rode back from this place .. the off roading part was full fun and experience to go to LEH , my rear Tyree grips were filled with mud and no grip .. totally rolling the wheels and the rear is left to right well when we both city boys trying to push the bike up .. our track tool guy just passed and went up like a rocket .. WHAT THE HELL ! how did he do that ? few villagers warned us not to go . as there is chance of elephants crossing

The off roading part

we finally reached back and said a bye to our track tool as he has to go in other direction after a few Km's and he just disappeared ..

will update more photos and videos soon after approval

Riders

Myself : Vaishak
my friends : Swaroop and Navin

This will be my 1st posting up in here @ adv
vaish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:03 AM   #2
vaish OP
Adventurer

The Entrance to the Reserved Forrest " where we missed the board saying NO ENTRY "

SMALL stop for a refreshment

The view of periyar river

morning mist , the sunlight touching down the earth .. through the densed Forrest

the entry to real wild ...

just before we enter the wild ..

what a place , ice cold water :)

we rode some 15 km into the wild and had to turn back from here because of bad roads and elephants attacks can happen .. i dun want to die .. i need more ride

Old 10-28-2011, 08:23 AM   #3
Gramp-Z
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 793
Some very nice pictures and it looks like you had a good time . The best part is not being at work and getting out and seeing some of nature .When I was younger I took my street bike many places it wasn't really made to go but that didn't stop me . Always enjoy reports from places I will never see . Also appreciate when anyone from a non English speaking place goes to the trouble of doing a report in English for those of us that are too lazy to learn other languages . Enjoy the rides !
Old Man plays with his Wee
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608068
Gramp-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:08 AM   #4
vaish OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramp-Z View Post
Some very nice pictures and it looks like you had a good time . The best part is not being at work and getting out and seeing some of nature .When I was younger I took my street bike many places it wasn't really made to go but that didn't stop me . Always enjoy reports from places I will never see . Also appreciate when anyone from a non English speaking place goes to the trouble of doing a report in English for those of us that are too lazy to learn other languages . Enjoy the rides !
Thank you Gramp , yeah the ride was great , just 10days before this ride we had a state bikers meet at Wagamon which is a hill station in kerala.. where a total of 45 bikers came but this ride i had more fun then that as we took a road just in guess and while we were doing km's we felt its a dump ? shall we ride back and look for some other road but something inside said " go ahead " which indeed found a un explored beautiful place with some good off roding with street bike n track bike .. it was fun ..

i am thinking of updating all my ride reports over here, because most of my ride is one day so dun have to flood single travel log for each so keep in touch with my tread to see more INDIA :)
well i am too young and new with job life so its hard for me do long rides and have much fund $$ to do big ride and the petrol is costly here 1litter cost 1.5$ + and buy all sort of riding gears ... and this is a new bike which i recently purchased after i got a job

ride safe
vaish :)

vaish screwed with this post 10-29-2011 at 05:20 AM
Old 10-29-2011, 05:50 AM   #5
Yooperdirtdog
nonoob

Oddometer: 2
Excellent ride report. It's always fun to see what's happening in parts of the world that we only read about in books.
Yooperdirtdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:47 AM   #6
Vinbowie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Worried about elephant attacks.
Now that's adventure riding.
Love it
They just stand back and let it all be." Springsteen
Vinbowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:57 AM   #7
vaish OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperdirtdog View Post
Excellent ride report. It's always fun to see what's happening in parts of the world that we only read about in books.
Thank you yooperdirtdog , i agree that .. each and every ride report in adv i use to enjoy .. thinking some day i could visit those country and do a ride ... :) well let me explore my country first hehehe .. i know when we see it in real .. its more beautiful then books :)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinbowie View Post
Worried about elephant attacks.
Now that's adventure riding.
Love it
yeah , we had few warnings from the villagers .. but i would have been great full if i saw a elephant

thank you guys for the comment and appreciation .. it would give me more energy to do more ride and share with you guys :)

ride safe
vaish
Old 01-06-2012, 10:57 PM   #8
RedRockRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,317
I rode a small dirt bike in Africa 25 years ago (Peace Corps). We rode near wild elephants a few times. Certainly gets your attention, especially when they "fake charge" -- lots of commotion.

Nice pics and story. Keep posting.

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:06 AM   #9
vaish OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockRider View Post
I rode a small dirt bike in Africa 25 years ago (Peace Corps). We rode near wild elephants a few times. Certainly gets your attention, especially when they "fake charge" -- lots of commotion.

Nice pics and story. Keep posting.
yeah i know .. but if we are bit far from them and they are in groups .. then its safe .. :)

sure thank you