ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2012, 10:04 AM   #16
Granparacer
Old but not dead

Oddometer: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirloynz View Post
Do you know if the 5800 or 5808 are thawed enough for bikes to make it from Lake Wenatchee to Ardenvoir. Can't wait to sink my teeth into a Super Duper Cooper Burger!
We should plan a campout at Goose Creek soon.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:12 AM   #17
iJabberwocky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by EntiatRider View Post
My buddy on the trail crew says they have most of the upper mad river trail to camp 9 completed last year, but the FS still lists it as closed. Be fun going down from the upper end in July, if open. On 250's anyways. I'll ride up French Corral on the 9th too. There is a road below sugarloaf that leads back into Indian Creek back to French corral that's a nice loop if open.
Oh yeah....FS 5270? I can't remember. Anyway, I rode the lower Mad River trail for the first time on my 250 last summer. That was awesome, those switchbacks weren't too bad but still a blast. I can't wait to ride Lake Creek trail again...I did that for the first time last year too....what a great ride.

EDIT: I meant 5270 being the road below Sugarloaf btw....; )

iJabberwocky screwed with this post 05-30-2012 at 10:28 AM
iJabberwocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:46 AM   #18
bricaud
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Over the long weekend my buddy and I made some morning runs on the roads around Chelan. Saturday we headed up Grade creek from Wapato Lake and made it up to the top of Copper mountain on roads 8213, 8210, and 3107. We got stopped just before the summit, about 100 of snow blocked the last of the spur road right at the summit. The snow out in the open was melted, but in the trees there was still 2 to 3 feet of hard pack. I would say the snow starts to hinder riding just around 5800'.

This was the highest point we made it during the weekend, and Im sure with a little more effort we could have found a way around the snow. Im not familiar enough with the surrounding area to know how this snow would affect the other roads and connecting routes. I really look forward to returning to the area to cover some longer distances later in the summer.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52228272@N04/7298333786/
Old 05-31-2012, 09:40 AM   #19
K7MDL
TE450, TE610

Oddometer: 1,545
Be sure to consider both ends as the far end may be blocked. I like to go up to Cooper Mtn Road and Grade Creek each mid-June for my ham radio VHF contests and there is a snow chute just south of the South Fork Gold Creek road intersection that takes a long time to melt out. It is 31 miles to Chelan and 11 to South Navarre Campgound and 14 miles to Methow at the intersection.

http://sdrv.ms/LK0DE3 Signpost at intersection
http://sdrv.ms/Mc62tl Picture of the Snow chute June 11, 2006

K7MDL screwed with this post 06-02-2012 at 10:19 AM
K7MDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:36 AM   #20
T.Low
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 919
Valueable information, there, amigos, keep it coming.
T.Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:59 PM   #21
EntiatRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by iJabberwocky View Post
Oh yeah....FS 5270? I can't remember. Anyway, I rode the lower Mad River trail for the first time on my 250 last summer. That was awesome, those switchbacks weren't too bad but still a blast. I can't wait to ride Lake Creek trail again...I did that for the first time last year too....what a great ride.

EDIT: I meant 5270 being the road below Sugarloaf btw....; )
I'm with ya. I did the same on my old 250. Good times. The wife won't go on the lower portion of that trail anymore with all the rocks and Billy Creek trail isn't open to tie into it yet.
EntiatRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:58 PM   #22
tomasv
Check the Czech!

Oddometer: 243
We were riding the Sugarloaf area for 2 days 2 weekends ago - here are the maps

Most of the top roads are blocked by snow in shades, we a lot time over a map and GPS trying to find ways over. As you can see from the tracks we made it but we had about 4-5 200'+ stretches with snow where we had to push the bikes by 2 and the rider walking next to it in gear. And multiple times we did it 2-3 times before hitting places with 0.5 miles plus and had to go back

Ride 1 - got stuck at the Entiat Summit - 4+ feet at the higher elevations, had to really work to get back to Sugarloaf from Ardenvoir (looked like we get stuck there, it was 9:30 PM when we got back to our camp)
http://runkeeper.com/user/vetrak/activity/89235407

Ride 2 - had to use lower elevation traverse roads - all of the attempts to use the once with view failed due to snow
http://runkeeper.com/user/vetrak/activity/89480890
tomasv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:22 AM   #23
EntiatRider
Adventurer

TomasV: I can't believe you made it as far as you did. I feel guilty. I didn't update to say that there is no way anybody is making it over the Entiat Summit Road. I can't believe you guys worked that hard to get over. Wow! Bet ya slept really good that night!
Old 06-08-2012, 08:27 PM   #24
T.Low
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 919
Gold Crk Rd at about 4800' June 3 (Sunday) north of Fox Pass, about 6 mi or so south of McFarland turn off. May be able to squeek a trials bike past on the cliff side...then again, maybe not.

I hiked up about 1//2 mile and there was no end to the snow in site.

T.Low screwed with this post 06-09-2012 at 01:57 PM
T.Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:57 PM   #25
EntiatRider
Adventurer

The Dirty Face ride might be interesting this year. If we can go over the summit, that throws off half the ride. We will see what they will do.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:27 PM   #26
iJabberwocky
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
The Dirty Face ride might be interesting this year. If we can go over the summit, that throws off half the ride. We will see what they will do.
I can't wait to see the route. I will be riding on Sunday somewhere...not quite sure yet. I am staying on the wet side this weekend and thought about heading up and over Stevens tomorrow to Plain then up and over 5800 or head over to Swakane and come out in Wenatchee.
I will be on my KLX250s on Sunday so I can make sure she is ready for Dirty Face....can't wait.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:41 PM   #27
EntiatRider
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iJabberwocky View Post
I can't wait to see the route. I will be riding on Sunday somewhere...not quite sure yet. I am staying on the wet side this weekend and thought about heading up and over Stevens tomorrow to Plain then up and over 5800 or head over to Swakane and come out in Wenatchee.
I will be on my KLX250s on Sunday so I can make sure she is ready for Dirty Face....can't wait.
I think I heard you this morning on the other side of the ridge!!! Someone was over there. Kidding. Still got stuck. Gonna try French Corral tonight. Had such a great plan of riding over the mountains with my 9 year old the night before for the D.F. ride. I don't want to ride the pavement for an hour at 5:30 am the day of the ride with my boy. I'll know tonight for sure. See ya next weekend.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:24 PM   #28
mlyamkaw
Drill Baby Drill

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
I think I heard you this morning on the other side of the ridge!!! Someone was over there. Kidding. Still got stuck. Gonna try French Corral tonight. Had such a great plan of riding over the mountains with my 9 year old the night before for the D.F. ride. I don't want to ride the pavement for an hour at 5:30 am the day of the ride with my boy. I'll know tonight for sure. See ya next weekend.
Been over it several times in the past month. It is all clear. I have not been up to Sugarloaf yet, so don't know it that is clear or not. But French Corral is def clear.
14 KTM 500 EXC
mlyamkaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:49 PM   #29
iJabberwocky
Gnarly Adventurer

Chumstick

Quote:
We went up to French Corral today from Clark Canyon 7704 to Moon Canyon then to Merry Canyon and hit 7804-200 up to French Corral. We then headed down 5808 to 5800 for lunch in Ardenvoir and ran into a Touratech guy who was heading to 5300. He was scouting his route to Chelan for the ride in a few weeks.
Anyway, we came back to 5800 and turned left on 5810 until it dead ended to 5801 then took 282 to 5200 up to Chumstick. Had to punch through some snow but we made it up to the top.
We then headed down 5200 to 7400 to Derby and back home. Of course we did all the side single track on the way....it was a good day.
This Saturday.....Dirty Face!!! Woot!
Old 06-12-2012, 07:19 AM   #30
EntiatRider
Adventurer

Awesome, guys. That solves a huge issue for me and camping with my boy. I'm happy to avoid the pavement at all costs. The Maxxis tire isn't quite street legal and those knobbies howl with my son, our camping gear and myself! Apparently there is a speed rating on these!
Thanks again, gentlemen. Glad you found single-track. Might be some more of that this weekend through private property around Moon Canyon or Dry Creek, if they route it like last year. See ya'll if a few days!