Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2012, 08:23 PM   #76
mcfear
now known as many things

Oddometer: 2,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTrev View Post
Bad luck Ross, sing out when you're able to make it to another one....they'll be going for a while yet....
yeh i've been working towards getting to europe for my 21st for ages and wont make it unless i sell the bike.

will have to hit the next one.

stooy, i went last year on a ducati monster with road tires and i was able to keep pace. just ask DRTrev

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV View Post
mcfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:46 PM   #77
Aussie Trev OP
aka DRTrev

Oddometer: 5,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by stooy View Post
G'day,

I just spotted this thread, I could be tempted to come over from VIC.
I would have to come on a bit of a flying visit so as not to use up too much of my leave.
I am sorry if I have missed it somewhere else, but is there a rough outline of the itinerary somewhere? Day Trips, how many kms per day etc.
Also how late can I book if I want to camp?
Finally, I ride a DRZ400SM which I have successfully ridden on good dirt and gravel roads, for this event would I need to switch to some more dirt oriented tyres?
Cheers
Stewart
Hi Stewart,

Not too late mate, in fact Dakar Dan is coming over from Victoria. Some are getting there Thursday 26th April, most will be there on the Friday, a lot will leave on Sunday and virtually all will be gone by Monday afternoon. We only organise the accommodation and offer some suggestions for meals. The Blinman Pub will do a pizza night for us Fri night, we do a BBQ Sat night ($20 cost) and includes large donation to Childhoon Cancer etc and so on. Riding is pretty well up to the individual but there are always groups heading off in one direction or another - just hook up with someone and tag along. Friday will probably see quite a few doing laps of the Public Access Routes (PAR's) and the popular loop is about 90 kms from Angorichina and back. Saturday, there are few who are considering a run out to Arkaroola and back. That is about 175 kms in each direction and fuel is available at Ark. Those who don't might do some more PAR stuff. Sunday, I'll probably do a run to Wilpena through the Gorges and have lunch at the Pound with a couple of Pale Ales and so on. 60 - 80 kms (depending on route) each way with fuel at Wilpena. Everything is at the pace of the participant.

The PAR's can be challenging but dropping the pace back will slow it all down for your tyres. There are some soft sand/rocks/muddy sections which can expose any problems - the vast majority run knobbies. The Ark and Gorges trips will be fine if you're already used to gravel tracks - again you will assess that and adapt your speed to suit.

This is a great way to see the beauty of the Flinders, especially with the support and knowledge of those around you.

Not sure about the lateness you can book. There are already over 80 attending and we may cut it off at 100. If you left it for say 3-4 weeks out you should be okay. Camping is $11 a head per night with all the normal park amenities. The shop carries food/groceries/booze/fuel etc etc - all at reasonable prices.

If you go back to the start of this thread there is a link to a dirt bike world site where you may find further info.

SIng out if I can help.

Hope you make it,

Trev

"Just having a crack"

Aussie Trev screwed with this post 01-13-2012 at 02:58 AM
Aussie Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:49 PM   #78
stooy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Thanks Trev!

I am pretty keen (I will chat to my boss about getting some time off).

My current plan is to drive to Adelaide (I know it's the soft option, but I need to save leave) and ride from there, I think I would be leaving Adelaide around midday Thursday.

Is there anywhere you know of where I could safely park my car and trailer?

I will most likely fit a set of Distanza's to the DRZ before I come to help out with the dirt

Cheers

Stewart
Old 01-16-2012, 10:30 PM   #79
Aussie Trev OP
aka DRTrev

Quote:
Thanks Trev!

I am pretty keen (I will chat to my boss about getting some time off).

My current plan is to drive to Adelaide (I know it's the soft option, but I need to save leave) and ride from there, I think I would be leaving Adelaide around midday Thursday.

Is there anywhere you know of where I could safely park my car and trailer?

I will most likely fit a set of Distanza's to the DRZ before I come to help out with the dirt

Cheers

Stewart
Safe parking is not a problem Stewart (probably up here around Gawler), but it's a long way from Adelaide to the Flinders. You have a couple of options (and I'm sure I can speak for the guys here) at Peterborough and Pt Augusta, where you could safely leave your vehicle and jump on the bike. That would give you more time to have a look around rather than rushing up there. If you leave Adelaide aroud midday then you won't get to the Village until around dark and you would have been balancing your way through roos for about two hours after Hawker.

Have another look at it and we can work something out.

"Just having a crack"
Old 01-16-2012, 10:33 PM   #80
kipo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTrev View Post
Safe parking is not a problem Stewart (probably up here around Gawler), but it's a long way from Adelaide to the Flinders. You have a couple of options (and I'm sure I can speak for the guys here) at Peterborough and Pt Augusta, where you could safely leave your vehicle and jump on the bike. That would give you more time to have a look around rather than rushing up there. If you leave Adelaide aroud midday then you won't get to the Village until around dark and you would have been balancing your way through roos for about two hours after Hawker.

Have another look at it and we can work something out.
Stewart, if you decide on trailering to Port Augusta you're welcome to park you car and trailer at my place.

Cheers

Full Member - Quorn Schnitzel Club
kipo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:39 AM   #81
Dakar Dan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 901
Trev, I'll aim to be up on Thursday arvo/ evening and leaving on Sunday. Still camping it. I've PMed Stooy about a lift up via Mildura-Morgan-Peterbro'. There's plenty of gentler tracks as well as the Artimore and other PARs like Glass's Gorge and out to Parachilna, as well as Chambers Gorge & back which I did last time as a dirt noob.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:00 PM   #82
Aussie Trev OP
aka DRTrev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakar Dan View Post
Trev, I'll aim to be up on Thursday arvo/ evening and leaving on Sunday. Still camping it. I've PMed Stooy about a lift up via Mildura-Morgan-Peterbro'. There's plenty of gentler tracks as well as the Artimore and other PARs like Glass's Gorge and out to Parachilna, as well as Chambers Gorge & back which I did last time as a dirt noob.
Well done DD. Just bear in mind that they've had a bulldozer or similar over the PAR out to the ruins so it's like a super highway (was last August) and you could drive a Mazda 3 up to the Patawarta Lookout at that time. There are certainly some options for anyone looking for a quieter time. As previously stated, some of us will be doing the Arkaroola run via Chambers Gorge on Saturday and then out through the Brachina and Bunyeroo Gorges on Sunday to have lunch at Wilpena, and back (bring cameras).

cheers

"Just having a crack"
Old 01-17-2012, 04:59 PM   #83
stooy
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Kipo,

I will re look at the maps today, I might just take you up on that.

Thanks DD, but as per my PM I can't leave with you.

I will be on the Arkaroola and Wilpena runs.

Cheers

Stewart
Old 01-17-2012, 05:28 PM   #84
kipo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,899
Quote:
Thanks Kipo,

I will re look at the maps today, I might just take you up on that.

Thanks DD, but as per my PM I can't leave with you.

I will be on the Arkaroola and Wilpena runs.

Cheers

Stewart
No worries Stewart. I'm going to ride my DR 650 up there as opposed to trailering my DRZ as I normally do.

So, pending when you are heading up and when I can get away we could ride up together. I can take you the way we go on our 'special' local tracks

Cheers, Kipo

Full Member - Quorn Schnitzel Club
kipo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:04 PM   #85
stooy
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Kippo,

I just had a look, if I was to come to Port Augusta, I would be there at lunchtime Thursday or a bit after.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:10 PM   #86
arborsmarty
WFO

Oddometer: 338
I'm keen

Gday Trev...please book me a tent site from Thursday pm through Sunday morning. I live in Gawler so let me know if you want to ride to or fro together.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:19 AM   #87
Aussie Trev OP
aka DRTrev

Quote:
Originally Posted by arborsmarty View Post
Gday Trev...please book me a tent site from Thursday pm through Sunday morning. I live in Gawler so let me know if you want to ride to or fro together.
Thanks mate, but I'm taking two bikes up so I'll be using the trailer. Won't be leaving Gawler until just after lunch on the Thursday, so might not get up there until around 7.00 pm. There will be plenty up there when you arrive so just intro yourself and they'll look after you. Let me know if you need anything taken up on my tray top - it'll mean you can travel a little lighter.

I'll book you in on the dbw site now.

cheers

"Just having a crack"
Old 01-19-2012, 12:21 AM   #88
TerryK
Ulysses

Oddometer: 1,557
Quote:
Thanks Kippo,

I just had a look, if I was to come to Port Augusta, I would be there at lunchtime Thursday or a bit after.
Gday Stooy, you will be ok on the DRZ SM as long as it stays dry, it's really only the red sections to look out for...the PAR is ok..So you still riding that SM on dirt.
You should have come out on MB's ride to Milang, you would have loved the sand.

Cheers Terry

Check out my Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/KaneTerry?feature=mhee
TerryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:07 AM   #89
arborsmarty
WFO

Oddometer: 338
Beer!!!!

It's usually a thankless job to organize anything. Thanks heaps for taking the time. I'll buy you some bevies of your choice when I see you!!
Old 01-20-2012, 03:35 AM   #90
Aussie Trev OP
aka DRTrev

Quote:
Originally Posted by arborsmarty View Post
It's usually a thankless job to organize anything. Thanks heaps for taking the time. I'll buy you some bevies of your choice when I see you!!
No need to bother mate, I get more fun out of this than you do. Plus, I drink fruit juice!!

"Just having a crack"