Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2011, 07:05 AM   #211
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badjuju View Post
Stupid Question Guy here (NOTE: Self-assigned handle from the RMAR thread)

Been riding a long time but a relative newb on ADVR. I'm trying to convince myself I need to do a couple of weeks in CO and combine the WF with RMAR. I'd be heading out from OH and I'm thinking of dragging along both my street and DS bikes so I can ride both types of routes. I'm a bit corn-fused, tho...there doesn't seem to be a lot of specifics here about lodging, routes, etc. on the front page.

So, is WF primarily an off-road event? Both road and trail? Camping/motel? Is the enduro an event a 61-ish yo guy could do on a DRZ? Gotta admit it sounds like a ton o' fun, and I might even let you hurt me a little. C'mon guys, gimme something i can hang my hat on....
I can specify routes, and for off-road there is a ton. For street bikes there is a ton.

Street - Take 67 north of US24 to Deckers, stop and chat with the other motorcycle crowd (big hangout) then either go up 67 along the river and come back to Deckers (it otherwise turns to dirt after a long ways). then head north on 127 to Pine...a good place to eat is the Buck Snort (off to the East in town on a dirt road). Also 67 South to Cripple Creek and 81 to Victor is nice. So many nice roads around. Street bike you can do a huge loop and go through the Rocky Mountains National Park and be back...long day but its very doable (I've done it a few times).

I would say West Fest is mainly dirt riding, it does not mean you can not ride a street bike and do your own thing and then just hang out for the gatherings.

modette screwed with this post 12-24-2011 at 07:19 PM
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 04:49 PM   #212
BobDan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Modette, I'll let others, like Pablo83, answer the WestFest question. I've ridden a couple of the RMEC enduros and I wouldn't think the DRZ as appropriate. The ones I rode on my KTM 250XCFW were tight and technical. Don't get me wrong, they were a ball on the 250. Guess we will have to wait and see what the enduro organizers do. I saw an earlier post on someone wanting to ride their 650. I sure wouldn't ride my 690 on a RMEC enduro; even though KTM put "Enduro" on the bike. But I'm a wuss.
BobDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 07:25 PM   #213
modette
RMAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDan View Post
Modette, I'll let others, like Pablo83, answer the WestFest question. I've ridden a couple of the RMEC enduros and I wouldn't think the DRZ as appropriate. The ones I rode on my KTM 250XCFW were tight and technical. Don't get me wrong, they were a ball on the 250. Guess we will have to wait and see what the enduro organizers do. I saw an earlier post on someone wanting to ride their 650. I sure wouldn't ride my 690 on a RMEC enduro; even though KTM put "Enduro" on the bike. But I'm a wuss.
I'm a little nuts as Pablo83 can attest too...so me doing an Enduro on a XR650R, well that is ME....I would advise people that if they are going to try on a bigger bike, know you might need to drop out or not really be in it to race. But like you said it all depends how they organize this...if they have various groups and what not and have a larger bike class...then you know that might make things easier.

Pablo83 - If the organizers you know need a nut to try a bigger bike area, to possible mark I'm game to try, you know like can a person make it up that on a 650cc bike type deal...count me as a test mule (of course if I know the course it would not be fair to "race" but I would do sweep/cleanup and hell probably still donate $$$$ to the cause).

As some might know I really want to do Red Bull Romaniacs...so I'm a little nuts anyways....
Old 12-25-2011, 11:33 AM   #214
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,763
WF has traditionally been a dual sport event. Some guys will have smaller 450 types and some will have 1200's and a lot will have 650's. Street bikes are welcome too. There are a lot of good asphalt rides around here in addition to all the dirt.

I don't think there has ever been an enduro scheduled with a WF, so that will all be new ground.

Quote:

Been riding a long time but a relative newb on ADVR. I'm trying to convince myself I need to do a couple of weeks in CO and combine the WF with RMAR. I'd be heading out from OH and I'm thinking of dragging along both my street and DS bikes so I can ride both types of routes. I'm a bit corn-fused, tho...there doesn't seem to be a lot of specifics here about lodging, routes, etc. on the front page.

So, is WF primarily an off-road event? Both road and trail? Camping/motel? Is the enduro an event a 61-ish yo guy could do on a DRZ? Gotta admit it sounds like a ton o' fun, and I might even let you hurt me a little. C'mon guys, gimme something i can hang my hat on....
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:02 AM   #215
Badjuju
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post
I'm a little nuts as Pablo83 can attest too...so me doing an Enduro on a XR650R, well that is ME....I would advise people that if they are going to try on a bigger bike, know you might need to drop out or not really be in it to race.
All: Thx for the replies/information. Very helpful. As I pointed out above, I'm 61 now, and haven't ridden a lot of dirt since a bad high-side riding down in southern KY in 2000. If I do register for the enduro, my only objective would be 1) to survive, and 2) have a lot of fun. If I stop having fun, well then I'll just head for the nearest saloon and "beer" my way to the finish!

I'll keep my eye on this thread and watch for more details.
Badjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 09:20 AM   #216
modette
RMAR

Quote:
All: Thx for the replies/information. Very helpful. As I pointed out above, I'm 61 now, and haven't ridden a lot of dirt since a bad high-side riding down in southern KY in 2000. If I do register for the enduro, my only objective would be 1) to survive, and 2) have a lot of fun. If I stop having fun, well then I'll just head for the nearest saloon and "beer" my way to the finish!

I'll keep my eye on this thread and watch for more details.
There might be an older class, as it was stated a few pages back. So yeah, we all need more detail on this event.

I'm at the dangerous part in my life, 36 so I remember being young and able but then again when I go down I remember I'm not so young and not so fit and able...LOL
Old 12-26-2011, 07:49 PM   #217
dirtydoug
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Badjuju

IM PLANING ON DOING THE ENDURO

i did a couple RMEC enduros a couple years ago

first was in nebraska ......was great for my bike ...mostly open with a few tight tree sections..went out with a flat front in 3rd lap .....somewere up front

angle fire nm was a lot different..... up the ski slope was the only open part....the majority was it the trees .... virgin trail....36th place i think after bailing after second lap ???

and at your age you be riding with older guys 60+ ......when the younger faster riders catch you.... just let them by

im 54 and ride a 620 KTM .....i just race for fun ....but then again

dirtydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:12 PM   #218
Tellydoug
Troubador of joy

Oddometer: 6,742
Quote:
There might be an older class, as it was stated a few pages back. So yeah, we all need more detail on this event.

I'm at the dangerous part in my life, 36 so I remember being young and able but then again when I go down I remember I'm not so young and not so fit and able...LOL

36 is still young- very young! Everything is still pliable and flexible at that age. Ah, to be 40 again.... I was dating 22 year olds back then.

last week I found out what happens when you get older. I was lifting half of a 500 pound oven to stack up on another. No problem muscle wise, but the connective stuff in my left elbow? Not so malleable anymore.... something tore loose, bummer.

That would have never happened 20 years ago.

kids....

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde
Old 12-27-2011, 06:45 AM   #219
Augie
Nincompoop

Oddometer: 27,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallybug View Post
I *think* that I'm in - first ADV meet since moving to the US in August
Most excellent :rubbinghandstogether laugh
Augie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:44 AM   #220
Badjuju
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydoug View Post
...and at your age you be riding with older guys 60+....when the younger faster riders catch you....just let them by.
DD: Get out'a their way?!? Yeah, I hear ya talking, but that's easier said than done. It's kind'a like my soccer leagues nowadays. I still play 2-3 times a week--indooors and outdoors spring/fall--but it's with the old guy's league, 45+ and 55+. I stopped playing with the young "open" league dudes when I found I was no longer fast enough to get out of the way of their shots! Unintentionally stopping a 90 MPH soccer ball with yer face learns ya real fast!!!

I'm gonna hold off deciding on the Enduro until there's more info posted here. I'd like to think I can do it, if only 'cause it doesn't make a whole lot of sense driving almost 3000 miles RT just to ride 75-100 miles a day for a couple of days....altho I'm sure the company would be worth the trip.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:12 PM   #221
dirtydoug
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
as always ...if you dont think you want to do the enduro ..dont do it ..

there is all kinds of riding very close.... any skill level.... ... ...either way it will be worth it

you can ride for a couple hours in the am ...come back to town ( or another one close by ) eat lunch... kick back a while... then .....ride again

theres also another ride the next weekend across state if you want more

P.S. RMEC tells them at the riders meeting ....if your slow just hold your line they will make it around you ....the way i see it.. if there going around me they are better riders than me and they can handle it off line........ has worked for me in the past
dirtydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 04:19 AM   #222
AZuwere
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Quote:

Juju, you won't be the only guy dragging two sets of bikes out there. I'll be bringing my 1200GSA and my Husky 449. 99577 will be bringing his 990 Adventure and his 250 Husky. And I check here every day for any news on camping/lodging myself. Hate to make all the plans with time off, flights from Alaska for 99577 then not have a place to stay.
'09 Vespa GTS 250
AZuwere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:46 PM   #223
gmsnowball
Black Bear Pass

Oddometer: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snr Moment View Post
You shouldn't be tempting my old, broken, bike verboten body this early. Would have to find a new bike and probably be single again.
Come on bear bait, I finally moved and should make this one. Get yourself a new Tenere and join in on the fun.

12 Super Tenere
gmsnowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:01 AM   #224
Badjuju
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
If that's true at 36, then I must be at the "insane-death-wish" part of my life, 'cause at my age, I not only can't remember being young....I can't even remember how bad falling down and breaking just about everything felt at 50!!!

As long as I can get up in the morning and remember where I put my keys the night before, it's all good.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:59 PM   #225
Snr Moment
Unafarkler

Oddometer: 2,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmsnowball View Post
Come on bear bait, I finally moved and should make this one. Get yourself a new Tenere and join in on the fun.

YAAK
Snr Moment is offline   Reply With Quote