User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2015, 12:32 PM   #1
madleemark OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Buy a bike i owned in the past

I have had a few air cooled z1000 kawasaki, but one i kept for several years and had some good times on,i sold it fifteen years ago. now many years later, i have the chance to buy it back, its still in good condition and mostly the same as when i sold it, my thinking is this, should i not buy, and just have the memories, or make some space and go get it now!
madleemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:50 PM   #2
baldman1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
Buy it
baldman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:51 PM   #3
jellycow
Back on track!

Oddometer: 1,010
Buy, buy, buy!

The past year I've been on a trip on memory lane as well; I again bought my first bike (NX250) and second bike (NX650.) Not the actual bikes, but same models. I loved both back then and this time I loved the 250 even more and the 650, well, not so much. And then I was offered to buy back my actual third bike and needed to sell both NX's to fund this. So I got back my first Airhead GS (see sig) and am slowly getting it back on the road. Regretting selling the NX250 I rescued another one last week for cheap, it's the daily rider now.

My point is, when in doubt go for it!
If you still love it, like I do the NX250, would you want to miss out on that? I for one don't.
If you've outgrown it, like I did with the NX650, just sell it and don't worry. The memories from way back when are still great and you'll now know it is good as it is.

At the moment I'm slowly and lovingly getting the GS back on the road (see sig.) To be honest, I'm not even sure if I will keep it in the end. I feel I've outgrown the big heavy bikes at the moment and might stick to the small light thumpers. Only 1 thing I can do: ride the damn GS and find out where my heart is!

Did I mention you need to buy it? So, off you go and find your heart!

Workshop credo: if it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
jellycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 01:02 PM   #4
gmonsen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Do it. It feels good.
gmonsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 01:24 PM   #5
cyclefreak13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
DO IT!

I had the chance to get back a bike that was once my fathers. He sold/gave it to my half-brother and my brother used it then parked it. I jumped at the chance to get dads bike back. Now you have to understand the bike was not a cherished possession of my fathers, it was just a bike he had and rode very little. When dads bike left it was almost perfect condition aside from a pinhole in the seat cover. When I got dads bike back I was heart broken to find it was mechanically sound, but cosmetically trashed. So now I have a bit of a dilemma, Its a Honda cm200T, not worth much when dad got it, and still not worth anything. It will cost me far more to restore it then it will ever be worth.

That being said I have some fond memories of it and am glad I have it. I'm just disappointed that it was not properly taken care of. So be prepared for some let down that it was not kept in the condition you would have kept it in. You can always sell it again.
And many more bikes.
cyclefreak13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 03:14 PM   #6
madleemark OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The bike is now owned by a good friend, i have been on the phone chatting as you do,and a price has been agreed, a new old toy will be mine again, best make some room for it, hopefully go and collect asap, not had a four cylinder bike since i sold it, 1980s brakes will take a little getting used to, should be fun
Old 02-11-2015, 11:11 AM   #7
jellycow
Back on track!

Oddometer: 1,010

Workshop credo: if it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
jellycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:08 AM   #8
madleemark OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well its been awhile, but finaly got my old kawasaki home, new battery carb clean, change brake fluid, rebuild rear master cylinder etc, got the mot sorted and then road tax, crikey soon spend a few pounds, out for a ride, used it for work, feels old and its noisey with the harris exhaust, few more things to do, but big grins riding, buy an old bike you owned in the past, go for it, i am well happy http://s288.photobucket.com/user/mad...tml?sort=3&o=2
Old 06-04-2015, 03:47 PM   #9
Roland44
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 985
Quote:
Originally Posted by madleemark View Post
Well its been awhile, but finaly got my old kawasaki home, new battery carb clean, change brake fluid, rebuild rear master cylinder etc, got the mot sorted and then road tax, crikey soon spend a few pounds, out for a ride, used it for work, feels old and its noisey with the harris exhaust, few more things to do, but big grins riding, buy an old bike you owned in the past, go for it, i am well happy http://s288.photobucket.com/user/mad...tml?sort=3&o=2
Looks great, congrats!
Roland44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 05:09 PM   #10
Butters
Kwyjibo

Oddometer: 2,729
That's a great looking bike:
Old 06-05-2015, 01:27 PM   #11
madleemark OP
Gnarly Adventurer

My friend gave me a call when the bike came up for sale on the z1 owners site, i did not take any interest, but he went ahead and purchased, but when i set eyes on it i thought i may have made a mistake, awhile later (18months) my friend mentioned he may sell, me trying to be rational about it, got myself thinking, i did not need it i had no room for another bike etc, so bought it lol. its largely as i sold it, the powdercoat on the frame is a bit flaky in places, it was done in 1996, and the exhaust is a bit loud for me now, but its been fun to get on the road and ride, ive just dug out a tailpack and tried it on the seat i think a longer ride is in order