User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2012, 01:02 PM   #31
robberst OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Thanks.
I'll order up a can of glyptal. I still learn something new every day.
robberst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:14 PM   #32
caponerd
Kickstart Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,976
Hey, nice to see this thread revived.
I missed your last question: Royal Enfield used an exhaust cam for the intake on high performance engines.
There was also an intake cam sprocket used for improved performance which had the woodruff keyway cut to provide advanced intake timing. This sprocket was marked with an "A" stamped on it.
The Interceptors were supposed to be available in three states of tune; the lowest used the original intake and exhaust cams, the middle one used two exhaust cams, and the highest state used the two exhaust cams as well as the advanced intake timing.
It' s possible that some of the 700cc Indian models had similar tunings.

Oh, and I rebuilt my Interceptor engine with no ill effects without re-coating the inside. I didn't know any better back then. I'd do it differently next time.

Btw, a repair in the oil tank due to a broken drive chain is apparently pretty common, I have two old crankcases with similar patches welded on.

caponerd screwed with this post 11-28-2012 at 08:20 PM
caponerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:05 AM   #33
robberst OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I checked my intake cam sprocket. There is no "A" stamped.

I'm waffling about using the glyptal now. Some say its great some say it's just something to peel and plug oil ways.

I'm always waffling though. I seem to have motorcycle ADD. I can't seem to focus on one thing at a time. Around 2004 I got frustrated with commuting on an old bike and the constant fiddling to keep it running, and bought a Suzuki DL650 V-strom to commute The last two years it has been as troublesome as an old bike, but without the cool factor. It needs an engine overhaul. A 2000 Moto Guzzi V11 has come up for sale in my area, perhaps that would be a good commuter. Probably I need to follow Thoreau and simplify.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:50 PM   #34
caponerd
Kickstart Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by robberst View Post
I checked my intake cam sprocket. There is no "A" stamped.

I'm waffling about using the glyptal now. Some say its great some say it's just something to peel and plug oil ways.

I'm always waffling though. I seem to have motorcycle ADD. I can't seem to focus on one thing at a time. Around 2004 I got frustrated with commuting on an old bike and the constant fiddling to keep it running, and bought a Suzuki DL650 V-strom to commute The last two years it has been as troublesome as an old bike, but without the cool factor. It needs an engine overhaul. A 2000 Moto Guzzi V11 has come up for sale in my area, perhaps that would be a good commuter. Probably I need to follow Thoreau and simplify.

The same thing happened to me. I bought a brand new Aprilia Caponord so I'd have a modern bike for long trips and commuting.
Worked out great for the first three years, then one by one, the various problems they talked about on the Aprilia Forum started happening to mine.
A long list, mostly electrical problems related to flakey connectors, and a few weak components.
The only thing good is that the V-twin Rotax engine is reputed to be nearly indestructible, and it shows no sign of problems, but due to various electrical issues, cost/availability of some replacement parts, it's probably spent more time sitting unusable than any other bike I've owned, and that includes my Royal Enfield and a BSA. Compared to my airhead BMW's the record has been awful.
caponerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:56 AM   #35
robberst OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Although I have been absent. I have been busy.

I've cleaned and primed many parts.
Today I ran up to the machine shop and picked up some finished parts. This is better than Christmas.

Cylinders were bored for .040 oversized pistons. This was necessary for rust and pitting from formerly stuck rings.

The heads got new guides, valves. The left heads on both engines had damaged spark plug holes. The machinist took the best one and had a friend weld the hole shut, then recut the hole and put in an insert. It turned out pretty nice.

New pistons and rings, of course. The crank was just polished and the connecting rods had the threads repaired.

I need to buy new main bearings, rod bearings and a gasket set and I'll put it back together. Oh, I scrubbed, washed, boiled the case halves, but I'm going to paint on glyptal.

This may be all the work I do on it for a while. I have to get the engine together and well oiled, but I also have the engines apart in my V-strom and CT70.

Just putting pictures on now and thought it'd be a great idea to organize my pictures, that messed up the links.......boy am I an idiot.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:09 PM   #36
robberst OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I've finally managed to collect all the parts necessary to assemble the engine. I took the crankshaft back to the machine shop and had them turn the connecting rod journals down .010" undersize for new plain bearings.

I think it was a couple weeks ago now, I went back to pick it up. The machinist for some unknown reason didn't want to remove the crank plugs. He said he was afraid he wouldn't be able to find a plug to put back it. I had to take matters into my own hands. After removing the snap rings, first I tried blowing a plug out with air pressure, but that was futile. So I pounded a center punch into the middle of one and popped it out. Then the other side I just pushed out. It was completely full of sludge and powdered oil. ( on a side note: The 1956 has drilled oil passages with small threaded plugs in them.) At work I have a CNC machined for cutting out Aircraft Instrument panels. I cut out two plugs out of .100" 2024T3 aluminum about .002" bigger than the hole. Pounded them into the crank and refitted the snap rings.

Hope this won't be a problem. I'm sure many other things are bound to fail before this though.

Next up new bearings:

I bought new main bearings from Baxter Cycle. The roller bearing was a FAG and the ball bearing ZVL

My wife wasn't thrilled about this, but into the oven when the crank cases
to 200 degrees F.

The bearings went in pretty easily with a a bit of pounding.

I decided against using glyptal on the cases. The coating in them was pealing badly. A couple cycles in the parts dishwasher at work and it all came right off. I removed all the oil galley plugs and blew them out.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:56 AM   #37
robberst OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Next up: New connecting rod bearings. I had to file the backside of the anti-spin tab slightly for it to fit in the rod. I set the bolt torque and adjusted washers to get the cotter pin holes to line up. The manual says .005" is about 1/8 of turn. That was helpful and accurate.

I stopped by the local yama/kawa/Honda shop and picked up a tube of yamabond......(4 or 5 I can remember now) to seal the case halves. Together it went.

New/old piston and rings from Baxter cycle. .040" oversized. I'm pretty sure this box of parts has sat on the shelf longer than I've lived.

Then on with the freshly bored cylinders. These are from the 1956 engine as they were in much better shape, although the right cylinder has a broken cooling fin.

Looks like it was Yamabond 4, that's what the infant mechanic Yamaha shop recommended.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:15 PM   #38
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,001
Glad to see an update to this project.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:52 AM   #39
robberst OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I installed new copper head gaskets. The Indian service manual mentions using some sort of jointing compound on the copper head gasket, while the Royal Enfield manual I have says nothing. As part of the modification to improve engine breathing, I put a threaded plug in the oil port that is sealed by the head gasket.

I did not use any sort of sealant on the head gasket.

A bit of time and assembly passed between these two pictures.
I could not find woodruff keys for the cam gears in all my boxes of stuff. So I found the closest thing I could at the autoparts store and trimmed them down to fit.
I cleaned and blew out the external oil lines and put them on.
I double checked the point gap in the magneto, then put the mag. on and set the timing.

Next I lapped the oil pumps cleaned everything up, lubricated and assembled the shaft, pumps and put the timing cover on.

There are a few little details to sort out now. I'm missing one timing cover screw, I need to reassemble a carburetor and I need to find spark plugs and assemble spark plug wires, but essentially the engine is together. It may be a while before the engine is running, so as I assembled the engine I heavily lubricated everything with a mixture of oil and STP. This is a common procedure in aircraft engines. Thought it would work well here too.

Now what's next? I've been waiting to get the engine back together to tear into a transmission. Now I might wait on that. It was full of oil still and seems to spin and shift well.

I ordered stainless steel spokes. I've never laced a wheel before, but I think that's what I'll try next.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:42 PM   #40
groop
So much to ponder

Oddometer: 3,015
Fantastic project. Love the updates
Old 10-15-2013, 10:51 AM   #41
robberst OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So here was the result of my first attempt at lacing a wheel.

I ordered a set of Stainless spokes. I had made a diagram when I took the wheel apart. It had broken and heavily corroded spokes. The original Dunlop WM-2 19 and wm-3 18 seem to be in pretty good condition. The front had some rust and pitting inside. I cleaned it up and put on a coat of primer.

I watched a tutorial on youtube then started truing. It was obvious right from the start that there was a dent in the rim. I didn't notice this when I took it apart, but I couldn't get it true with the dent there. I tried beating it into submission with a deadblow hammer and wood blocks, but was unsuccessful.

So I took it back apart.

This is how I straightened out the bad spot.

pretty crude method, I know, but it was effective.
I laced the wheel again and adjusted the radial runout and wobble.
The manual says +/- 1/32

The wobble is less than 1/64 inch and the radial is about the same.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:53 PM   #42
etingelefunts
retem-odo

Oddometer: 799
Fantastic work and description. Glad you haven't let the project find a dark dusty corner.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:24 AM   #43
robberst OP
Gnarly Adventurer

while the corner this project is in may get dusty, I hope it never gets dark
Old 11-01-2013, 11:22 AM   #44
etingelefunts
retem-odo

Oddometer: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by robberst View Post
while the corner this project is in may get dusty, I hope it never gets dark
Good deal.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #45
WU7X
The Old Fart

Oddometer: 1,883
Incredible writeup and pics. I wish I had all the skills shown by you and the peanut gallery. Keep up the great work!
I was born lost and take no pleasure in being found." ~ John Steinbeck

WU7X is offline   Reply With Quote