Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2011, 05:28 AM   #1
overtakenagain OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Crossing China and Tibet 2012

Hello all.
I am in the process of planning a trip from London to KL next year (2012). As part of this, I intend to ride through China and Tibet. As you may know, taking your own vehicle into China involves the use of a Chinese travel agency to arrange all the necessary permits and paperwork and to provide a "guide" to accompany the group. I am currently in contact with several agencies, trying to get the best price/service. This isn't cheap though; so to make it more affordable, I am looking for some fellow riders to share the cost and the journey.
The plan is to enter China via the Torugart Pass into Xinjiang. The route to Lhasa will be decided on by consensus of whoever joins (and by some road closures in western Tibet!). Once in Lhasa, the group will split, some are going on to Nepal at this point, while I am continuing into Yunnan province and then on to Laos. So, you will have a choice of exit point. This will be in September 2012. Total duration in China will be 25 to 35 days, depending on where you exit. So, any bikers or 4X4 drivers out there who are interested? PM or reply to this thread.
Cheers.
overtakenagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:43 AM   #2
trying
greenhorn

Oddometer: 4
That sounds so good.

Ohhh. That sounds so good. I would love to go to Laos and Cambodia then cut over to VNam instead of going to KL. I am in Washington D.C quananvi@yahoo.com please contact me so we can discuss this. I am riding SEA Feb 12 because my friend can only take 17 days off.
trying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:58 AM   #3
overtakenagain OP
Adventurer

Hello all. Just to update anybody interested: The dual entry and exit point option has been abandoned in favour of a single entry (from Kyrgystan) and a single exit point (Laos). It proved to be far too costly and complicated to have different entry/exits for different people.

As to the cost: based on 6 people with 6 motorbikes from Torugart to Mohan for 35 days: total cost (including guide and 4WD vehicle rental but excluding hotels) is quoted as USD 16666. That is approx. £1793 per person or £51 per person per day. If using our "own" 4WD (with 2 people) it is USD 11572. That is £7545 divided by 7 vehicles is £1077 per person or about £30 per day. Although the 4WD would have 2 paying customers, as they would have to carry the guide, I have counted it as 1 person. If you see what I mean?!

Based on 8 people with 8 motorbikes (same route, duration, conditions): USD 18061. This is approx. £1455 per person or £42 per person per day. With our "own" 4WD (with 2 people) it is USD 13225. That is £8618 divided by 9 vehicles is £957 each or about £27 per day.

Sorry about the mixed currencies; the quotes were provided in US$, but I think in UK£!

Still haven't found a 4WD to join; but the Chinese tour agency has kindly offered to advertise for one on their own website.

Any more information/questions. Please PM or reply to this thread.
Cheers.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:30 PM   #4
glasswave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by overtakenagain View Post
Hello all.
The plan is to enter China via the Torugart Pass into Xinjiang. The route to Lhasa will be decided on by consensus of whoever joins (and by some road closures in western Tibet!). Once in Lhasa, the group will split, some are going on to Nepal at this point, while I am continuing into Yunnan province and then on to Laos. So, you will have a choice of exit point. This will be in September 2012. Total duration in China will be 25 to 35 days, depending on where you exit. So, any bikers or 4X4 drivers out there who are interested? PM or reply to this thread.
Cheers.
I think that the Xinjiang Tibet Highway has pretty much been off limits to all travelers since about 2008 and last I heard, the only feasible way into Tibet was on the Qinghai–Tibet railway. I don't think motor biking will be easy to accomplish in Tibet right now. I haven't been keeping track though and things can change quickly. You may want tocheck lonelypalnet thorntree for recent Tibet info and the hubb will have lot's of info on motorbiking in China.

If you do indeed decide to go via China 219 (Xinjiang Tibet Highway ), I rode it, in the summer of 07 (it was supposedly off limits to foreigners at that time as well) & could perhaps provide some info.

Good Luck,
n

• Peruvian Andes (3 months)
• N Chile - Medellin, Colombia (3 months) ••• Cartegena, CO to N Chile (3 months)
glasswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:56 PM   #5
overtakenagain OP
Adventurer

Hello glasswave. The 219 is not really open to the general public (esp. laowai), but it seems relatively easy (if expensive) to organize the necessary permits via a Chinese travel agency. I have been speaking to several people who have successfully travelled this route in the last couple of years; so I am confident it can be done! Although I know how things can change at short notice in the PRC! Your pics (esp. of Kailash) are absolutely stunning, by the way. How well did your bike cope with the altitude?
Cheers.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:38 AM   #6
bigdamo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by overtakenagain View Post
Hello glasswave. The 219 is not really open to the general public (esp. laowai), but it seems relatively easy (if expensive) to organize the necessary permits via a Chinese travel agency. I have been speaking to several people who have successfully travelled this route in the last couple of years; so I am confident it can be done! Although I know how things can change at short notice in the PRC! Your pics (esp. of Kailash) are absolutely stunning, by the way. How well did your bike cope with the altitude?
Cheers.
Plenty of Chinese travel the 219.Foreigners are a different story,The Japanese also use it too.
bigdamo is offline   Reply With Quote