Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2014, 08:47 PM   #1
Keithert OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 765
Why can I drive my lawn tractor longer than my bikes?

Seriously, sitting on my Craftsman tractor for an hour doesn't hurt at all but riding a motorcycle for an hour makes my butt and back hurt. What is up with that? I have 3 styles of bikes and none of them are that comfortable. Anyone else notice this?
1998 Ural Deco
Keithert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:23 PM   #2
inglysh
Completely Custom

Oddometer: 126
not great suspensions

on any bikes in your sig from the very little that I know.
Throw a bike, on a center stand and block the front tire so that it's level. Then sit on the bike and have someone take a picture of you from the side so that we can see your riding position. Then put your hands where you'd like them to be and take another shot. I owned a vstrom so lets start there.
I am a narrow shouldered 5'6" with a 30 inch inseam and a longer, comparatively, torso. The strom would benefit from handlebar risers as well as a wider bar (perhaps by as much as 2", ymmv) even with my small frame.

proper suspension setup is also going to be a big contributing factor in your on the bike comfort. I didn't care for the suspenders on the vstrom... not one bit. I could ride it for more than an hour without discomfort, but yes there are definitely more comfortable bikes out there.

The cruiser I owned, I had one rule. No coffee/beverages before a ride unless I have time to stop every 30 miles. It's been gone for 5 years and I still have bruising on my bladder.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
1982 Yamaha Maxim 400
inglysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:49 PM   #3
Keithert OP
Studly Adventurer

I spent a lot of time the last couple weeks looking at Gold Wings. Even on a Goldwing my back gets uncomfortable after an hour.
1998 Ural Deco
Old 05-29-2014, 10:22 PM   #4
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,543
Motorcycle seats are generally made for looking good, not for making the backside happy. Wider seats are comfy all day long. Look into getting a custom seat, or how to modify your own.
Case in point: My stock seat is good for 45 min of comfortable riding. I bought a used Corbin off of E-bay and it's good for 8 hours, even though the foam is not so cushy anymore.

The other issue is having good core strength. Unless your core muscles are strong, your back is going to be doing too much work and will get sore quickly. On really long trips I use my dry bag as a backrest, which helps reduce fatigue.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:34 PM   #5
JimmyFallen
Anarchist

Oddometer: 93
The only thing I ever have trouble with any more is my ass. All my bikes are comfortable enough, even my red rocket. Of course, I'm used to no less than 300 miles a day on the weekends. And that's just fartin around. My body is "broke in"! Me and my gf really like to ride.

I guess I'm lucky that way, especially at my advanced age.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:56 AM   #6
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 8,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithert View Post
Seriously, sitting on my Craftsman tractor for an hour doesn't hurt at all but riding a motorcycle for an hour makes my butt and back hurt. What is up with that? I have 3 styles of bikes and none of them are that comfortable. Anyone else notice this?
Is there any chance that you're too tense on the bikes? Upper body tension (tight shoulders, tight grip on the bars, clenched forearm muscles etc) could easily cause the problems you're having.

You may be carrying the stress onto the bike, or you could stressing whilst on the bike...either way the result is the same.

I suggest this as you're getting pain across a variety of bikes, which is pretty unusual.
Guns don't kill people, people kill people but people with guns manage to kill more people than people without.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 03:48 AM   #7
leejosepho
Sure, I can do that!

Oddometer: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post
Wider seats are comfy all day long. Look into getting a custom seat, or how to modify your own...

On really long trips I use my dry bag as a backrest, which helps reduce fatigue.
Yes. Do whatever you must to make your bike seat feel like your full-butt-width tractor seat with back support. On mine, I modified the seat pan and fender a bit so I could sit "down in" rather than "up on" and forced to slide forward, and then I also added a backrest. Along with that, I also removed the visor from my helmet to reduce wind resistance and turbulence around my head.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:31 AM   #8
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithert View Post
Ever have any lower back problems? How serious is that back pain? Lasts for several hours or even days after riding, or not? Also without knowing, what bikes you ride (pics of you on the riding position maybe) it is pretty hard to comment.

I΄m 42 years old, and have had lower back issues for about 1,5 years now. I am still riding the very same two bikes, that I had before this problem started. Back then, I was able to do up to 600 miles per day, if needed, neither seat or riding position is perfect, but wasn΄t a big deal, just take a break every now and then, and next morning I was ready to go again. But not any more. Now just 200 miles (even when I take breaks every 60-70 miles as instructed by the doctor), can bring intolerable pain, which is still there the next morning. Butt pain is almost a non-issue, because when the back starts hurting properly, I don΄t even notice, if there is butt pain or not. The only important thing about the seat seems to be, if it is level, and has room so that I can occasionally move my ass back a bit. The worst for me is a seat, which is inclined forward. Sport bikes are a no-no for me ATM, even though one would think that getting some weight off the back and onto the hands would help, but in my case, it does not help.

And it is strange, that a year ago, my back problem was a lot worse, but I could ride bikes much better than I can now, although the back in general is a lot better. Also a year ago, riding a car was very hard on the back, but now I can do that a lot better. Every problem of this kind is an individual case, so I guess my problem just happens to be like that. I΄m just hoping, that longer days on the saddle are not history for me!

As far as seats or ergonomics, nothing has changed on my bikes, the change is totally in my back. Now if every kind of bike seems to irritate your back, but you can ride something else, I΄m thinking maybe you also have some condition on your back, that brings the pain, when on a motorcycle?
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 04:38 AM   #9
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,739
"without knowing, what bikes you ride" - sorry I now noticed, that your bikes were listed.

With an upright riding position, like the XT or Vstrom, your upper body weight rests fully on your lower back, so if there is some disc problem, for example, sitting like this without moving around much, could easily irritate the problem area.
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 04:52 AM   #10
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 711
All three of those bikes have narrow or crowned saddles. None are made for serious comfort. Your riding tractor has a wide seat fully supporting your butt.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:46 AM   #11
Timbo813
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Butt pain: New seat
Back pack: Riding position

I have a v-strom and I changed out the handlebars for aftermarket ones. They have less pullback (bent back towards me less), are wider and a little higher. All this results in a more comfortable seating position. I am able to sit up straighter and slouch less. There are tons of options for aftermarket handlebars. Mine are pro-taper SE (7/8") raptor bend. They are really nice but there are other good options out there as well.

If I ever end up taking lots of trips on mine I will look at a new seat and lowered footpegs. (from Richland Rick)
Timbo813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:35 AM   #12
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Check out Cycle Ergo.com. Might help you figure something out.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:43 AM   #13
Keithert OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo813 View Post
Butt pain: New seat
Back pack: Riding position

I have a v-strom and I changed out the handlebars for aftermarket ones. They have less pullback (bent back towards me less), are wider and a little higher. All this results in a more comfortable seating position. I am able to sit up straighter and slouch less. There are tons of options for aftermarket handlebars. Mine are pro-taper SE (7/8") raptor bend. They are really nice but there are other good options out there as well.

If I ever end up taking lots of trips on mine I will look at a new seat and lowered footpegs. (from Richland Rick)
I have the peg lowers from him. They are great! On my Wee I have Rox risers and stock bars. I have the risers tilted back about an inch from stock and the risers sit a little over an inch up from stock.
1998 Ural Deco
Old 05-30-2014, 01:45 PM   #14
PT Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Back in the days of yesteryear, a farmer sat all day and every day during the season in a cast iron tractor seat that was shaped like a human butt.

Only a few factory seats, more aftermarket seats, more custom seats are make like this.

Have someone take a picture of you, from the side, in your normal riding position. You want to see your spine in the good, comfortable "straight" position with the concave curve in your lower spine. You want your arms in a comfortable position, not pulling your back out of shape. Motorcycle seats are made to sell bikes, not for comfy riding. The seat that will feel good for hours will feel too wide when you straddle the bike in the showroom, and it'll look like an old man's wheelchair cushion. The seats that look good don't feel so good.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:02 PM   #15
hardpackrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
2012 GSA, (stock bars, stock seat), I got 2in. bar risers .. then spun them (bars) upward so I can stand w/them .. and my back is straight (I'm 6'1"), can ride all day. Have lower back issues too, but nice to just stretch upward with back straight.

What I still have issues with, is legs.. lowered pegs are next on my list. I think (hope) that will help..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

– Every man dies. Not every man really lives. – William Wallace
– I'm working on that Bill... it's why I'm here. – hardpackrider
hardpackrider is offline   Reply With Quote