User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 07:42 PM   #196
LetItRoll
ForwardAholic

Oddometer: 94
H-D motocrosser

Harley Davidson 250cc motocrosser, remember that (1975 i think), I bet that project cost em some money.
LetItRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:59 AM   #197
farmerstu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussijussi View Post
I looked up some figures on braking and surprizing to me, the cruisers actually stop really well, the best being Suzuki Marauder 800, 107ft, V Rod was 109 feet, Triumph Speed Triple 105 ft, Sportster 883 139ft, Road King 126ft, Fat Boy 154ft, KTM ADV 990 125ft
thanks for taking the time to do the research. let the age of enlightenment begin.
1.all motorcycles are fun
2. their are different types of motorcycles for different purposes
3 stereotypes and urban myths usually have no basis in fact

among other bikes I've had in the past are a gold wing, an rm125, an dt250
a hardtail chopper, currently i have a Harley and a klr. i have never owned a sport bike but have spent a little time on some.(woo hoo, lots of fun but i would need a chiropractor to get off after a 50 mile ride)
why is it that so many think the only bike worth having is the one they currently own.
farmerstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:18 PM   #198
ggrimes2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehu View Post
The worst Moto Guzzi ever made was still a better bike than the best of some of your other nominees. I'm not sure which bike can be considered the absolute worst ONE but Guzzi's aren't even close. Yes I'm a Guzzi (V7 Sport) owner. The BMW R100S I also owned was way worse.
I've got a 2003 Le Mans, best looking and the sexiest motorcycle I own. I also have an R1100RS which is a better daily driver. It is stone reliable and plain fun to drive. If I'm going for a day I take the Guzzi one up with small bags it's perfect for a day's ride. If I am going longer I take the BMW it has better bags and more comfortable for 2 up rides.
I'm lucky I have both but; the Guzzi steals my heart and soul the BMW is the practical German ride that I have slowly come to love.
ggrimes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:32 PM   #199
ggrimes2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Wicked So many and so little time

I'm going to pick on bikes that you could actually own who sold by dealers who should have known better.
My 1967 Triumph Tiger ranks as the low point of motorcycles I owned. Lucas Electrics every joke ever made about them they deserve. Starting this thing was always an adventure. Like the old Harleys it leaked oil marking it parking spots. Brakes that really didn't. Bits and pieces that fell off at random (I believe Triumph was the reason Loctite was created).
My 1976 Husky 360WR it had short travel suspension, hard to start and vibrated so badly it would walk across the concrete floor at idle. The motor mounts cracked from the vibration, your hands became numb in 10 minutes it took your feet about 15 to reach the same state. Dropping it on the side of a hill means it would flood and not start for 30 minutes plus having the kick on the left side means your knee impacted on the bars when it kicked back.
ggrimes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:16 AM   #200
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrimes2 View Post
I'm going to pick on bikes that you could actually own who sold by dealers who should have known better.
My 1967 Triumph Tiger ranks as the low point of motorcycles I owned. Lucas Electrics every joke ever made about them they deserve. Starting this thing was always an adventure. Like the old Harleys it leaked oil marking it parking spots. Brakes that really didn't. Bits and pieces that fell off at random (I believe Triumph was the reason Loctite was created).
My 1976 Husky 360WR it had short travel suspension, hard to start and vibrated so badly it would walk across the concrete floor at idle. The motor mounts cracked from the vibration, your hands became numb in 10 minutes it took your feet about 15 to reach the same state. Dropping it on the side of a hill means it would flood and not start for 30 minutes plus having the kick on the left side means your knee impacted on the bars when it kicked back.
While reliability (or lack thereof) is probably the biggest factor when assessing a "good" or "bad" motorcycle, surely the Triumph had other attributes such as beauty, "character" or ease of maintenance in sufficient quantities to avoid being considered "Worst". I know nothing about the Husky so can't comment there.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:59 PM   #201
inline4
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,025
Cool2 noooooo

While reliability (or lack thereof) is probably the biggest factor when assessing a "good" or "bad" motorcycle, surely the Triumph had other attributes such as beauty, "character" or ease of maintenance in sufficient quantities to avoid being considered "Worst". I know nothing about the Husky so can't comment there.

noooo...it did not.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:28 PM   #202
Rgconner
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 649
There was a CB400A and a C750A in SOHC/4 and then the CM400A and CM450A which were parallel twins.

The clutch was not adequate for the power generated by the 750, so they detuned it to 45HP, or less than my CB550 makes by 5HP.

Which gives it 60lbs extra weight, less horsepower, and the handling characteristics of a freeway bike... which it is not good at with the lower HP and additional weight.

Gets my vote for the worst bike evah.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:22 AM   #203
grelcar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrimes2 View Post
Sounds like just about every other dirt bike in the 70's. Frustratingly fun.
grelcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 02:34 PM   #204
Starkmojo
Chief Totberry

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
Amazed nobody mentioned the CB500T yet. Had to be even worse than the derided TX500. I would put AMC HD's at the top of the heap though.

There were dozens of European made sub-150cc bikes that might rate as crap. Garelli and Gilera made a few that were great when they ran! Mopeds don't count or we could go on forever.

Surprised the Norton rotary made someone's list as the JPS version was so successful in racing. Lots of 60's/70's Brit iron sucked but were mostly not inherently bad, just hopelessly outdated.

The italians made some pretty bad bikes in the 70's - even though they are all probably highly collectible now. Anyone remember the Laverda Alpino? ... Thought not! Benelli 504?
I had a CB500t.. Wasn't a bad bike once I put a cb450 motor in it!
Rule number one kid is don't be a dumbass like your old man
Starkmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 02:37 PM   #205
Starkmojo
Chief Totberry

Oddometer: 542
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgconner View Post
There was a CB400A and a C750A in SOHC/4 and then the CM400A and CM450A which were parallel twins.

The clutch was not adequate for the power generated by the 750, so they detuned it to 45HP, or less than my CB550 makes by 5HP.

Which gives it 60lbs extra weight, less horsepower, and the handling characteristics of a freeway bike... which it is not good at with the lower HP and additional weight.

Gets my vote for the worst bike evah.
I see these bikes on CL all the time withe the words "RARE" and "CLASSIC" in the title. To me the A in CB750A Stands for "ASS BISCUIT".
Rule number one kid is don't be a dumbass like your old man
Starkmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 03:01 PM   #206
Homey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
This thread has been going for over nine years now and I find it hard to believe that the turd that is the CX500 hasn't been mentioned. I'll 25th the motion on the Hondamatic too. My dad had one of those. Just thinking about it still makes me cringe. Like most manufacturers, Honda has had it's share of turds.
Homey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 03:24 PM   #207
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homey View Post
This thread has been going for over nine years now and I find it hard to believe that the turd that is the CX500 hasn't been mentioned...
CX500 - everyone loved to hate it but they were as reliable as a hammer, could go ridiculous miles in the hands of London dispatch riders, fairly comfortable, and still faster and better handling than a few equivalent capacity bikes of that era. Hardly makes it a candidate for "worst"
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 03:26 PM   #208
k woo
308Master

Oddometer: 83
HD Sportster. Mine gave constant trouble. If it was the only bike available I would stop riding.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:49 PM   #209
Homey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
CX500 - everyone loved to hate it but they were as reliable as a hammer, could go ridiculous miles in the hands of London dispatch riders, fairly comfortable, and still faster and better handling than a few equivalent capacity bikes of that era. Hardly makes it a candidate for "worst"
Did you own one? Yeah, it was reliable but it was lifeless, ugly and handled like crap. Even compared to other bikes of it's day. Yep, it's a worst. Unless,you're a dispatch rider I suppose...
Homey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:48 PM   #210
kenaero
bentonriding

Oddometer: 13
love a CMA

Have a 1979 CM400A it s only problem ever was the alternator went bad, my wife rode it everywhere without concern of it breaking. We even put a set Givi bags and trunk on it for shopping! Besides it would do an honest 92mph! Clocked it myself.
kenaero is offline   Reply With Quote