Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2005, 02:41 PM   #46
Ray of Sunshine
Meat Donut 2 Some

Oddometer: 16,855
I love the paint (decals?) on that madura. Kind of like stiletto heels on a pig.

Life is better, but why not?
Ray of Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 03:11 PM   #47
RT jim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,006
One of my odd bikes I wish I keep BSA500mx all it had for wheel travel 2" max .Boy did it like deep deep mud It could please any crowd with rooster tail of mud sky high. It retired as ice race machine. No suspension and shifter on right side great for the job. Had couple rz350 yamaha's . Wanted to get a rz500 from canada and swap decals(since you couldn't have they on street in us).
RT jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 07:32 PM   #48
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,110
Don't know about worst, but ugliest to my eye has to be the BMW R1200 CL Montauk. Every time I see one (not often, thank the benevolent diety) I am reminded of the face of a jumping spider upon its approach, and it doesn't get much prettier as it passes. To think that the very same factory produced the R100RS, what I consider to be one of the best-looking bikes ever.
- Chris

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 08:24 PM   #49
Gerg
Cupcake

Oddometer: 8,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp
Nope, the dual range tranny was on the Honda CB900 and CB1000 (I think).
Honda did have a 450 auto but they made the CB750A before that. The 750 was the old SOHC lump ('69-'78).
Seems like the Yam XS850 triple has a pretty good (if boring) rep.
Weren't the TX500 and TX750 notorious for the balancers getting out of time and shaking them to death?
As far as cult Hondas, you left out the GB500.
You might be right. I know that had a bike with balancers that would get out of wack and kill the bike in short order. I thought it was the 850 But it was unremarkable to be sure.

Gerg

BOOF 160, AMA, RA, MOA, HOG
Live life like you stole it!
Your $5 off SMUGMUG Coupon is
hESgLtqESqM1Q

Gerg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 08:31 PM   #50
Ray of Sunshine
Meat Donut 2 Some

Oddometer: 16,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT jim
One of my odd bikes I wish I keep BSA500mx all it had for wheel travel 2" max .Boy did it like deep deep mud It could please any crowd with rooster tail of mud sky high. It retired as ice race machine. No suspension and shifter on right side great for the job. Had couple rz350 yamaha's . Wanted to get a rz500 from canada and swap decals(since you couldn't have they on street in us).
Well, don't tell the boyz at the Marcus Dairy that in the mid 80's before it got way too popular, there would always be 3 or four RZ 500s, a coupla RG500 'zookis, sometimes even a Rothman Honda V3 . Then one weekend some guys from NHTSA and the EPA came round, taking liense plate numbers. Dang, always wanted a RG 500, too.
BTW, while there maay be some dumbass bikes being built, let's remember that the worst bike is still better than most cages. But you can haul a HD in a pickup truck.

Life is better, but why not?
Ray of Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 12:03 PM   #51
WR_guy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
Walter, getting back to the TX500, it lasted about 4-5 years being renamed the XS500 in '75. It was the TX750 that had the counterbalancer issues SOHC head and only lasted 2 years.

I owned a TX500 and it was an okay mid sized bike, very pretty blue/purple color. Bought if from a rich kid for $125 after he dropped it. I rode it from 78 in college thru to 86. The only problem I had was a starter clutch that went south which required kick starting all the time. Took about 100 kicks in the spring after a winter sleep. I never changed the oil filter on that bike and could only drain 1/4 the oil out per change because one of the drain plugs was replaced w/o a washer and siezed in place. Ran like a top w/ very little vibration. Flat power curve, no hit at all.

Anyway, it was a bit of a disapointment in that it was really hi-tech with electric start and DOHC 4 valve head, but it was rather slow. My friends old SOHC Honda 450 was faster and the Honda 750 would eat it up. I rode with a guy on a new CB900f so just I couldn't keep up.
WR_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 01:22 PM   #52
gfspencer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 839
"I gotta tell ya" anything made by Orange County Choppers. Have you watched how they make that stuff? If a part doesn't fit bring out the hammer or cutting torch.
gfspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 04:42 PM   #53
ezekiel
Lost again

Oddometer: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt03
I actually still own my 1979 Yamaha XS750. I bought it new as a poor mans BMW. IT has been trouble free, but hasn't seen much action since I bought me beemers.

now for bad bikes, how about the AMF Harleys, and the last few years production of the BSA's ?
i got rid of my Yamaha 1977 xs7502d which i bought new in 1977. sold it 2002 after a trip in 2001 from chicago to california. replaced it with a concours. love my connie but am very sorry i sold the triple. if i ever find the guy who bought it i'm buying it back to put in my living room.
ezekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 06:40 PM   #54
Rick G
Ranger Rick

Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfspencer
"I gotta tell ya" anything made by Orange County Choppers. Have you watched how they make that stuff? If a part doesn't fit bring out the hammer or cutting torch.
I have to admit, that I do watch "American Chopper" when ever I get the chance. Kind of a guilty pleasure. I don't think I want one, but I do enjoy watching the Teutals going at it. Mikey is a hoot!

I do agree, that their bikes are more for show than go. Some of the theme bikes are kind of neat. But I would not want to ride one for more than a couple of miles for fear of breakdown or accident due to the inherrant instability of choppers. What would you do if you had to do an emergency manuever? I can't imagine what it would be like to have to swerve one of those choppers to miss an object in the road.

Has anyone out there ever ridden a custom chopper? If so, tell us about it.

Rick

Rick G screwed with this post 04-07-2005 at 06:35 AM
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 01:07 PM   #55
WR_guy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
Rick G,

My HS friend has a chopper that was on the front page of Iron Horse Magazine.
He put like $80k into it. It has a huge springer front end like 4 feet long, hardtail frame, like 1600 S&S motor with everything but Nitrous or a supercharger. It had NO FRONT BRAKe. Tiny little seat narrow little bars etc.

He pulls up one night in front of my brothers house and says, take it for a ride...

Well first of all the transmission was all down because of the linkage so I started off in top gear, slipped the hell out of the clutch to get going. It did pull real strong becaseu of the big motor. The suspension was an undamped chassis flex...up and down ...up and down. didn't feel too stiff really because of all the flex. Would not stop worth a damn though, couldn't turn it either, u-turns were out of the question. Vibration is not the word for it. but what a beautiful bike. My friend actually rode it from NY to Daytona one year for bike week.....Man he must have been hurtin'.
Not for me even if it does draw a crowd.
WR_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 08:56 PM   #56
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,263
at least the indian had a cool engine.

my attempt at a list,
- back in the late 70's a friend had one of those 500 2 cyl yamaha, DOHC, dog turd brown, should of been a good bike, odd handling, gear snatch big time, really bland and a real turd.

-TM400 suzuki, looked good, that was it, evil bike, would bitch slap anyone, then blow up.

-70's 500 yamaha MX, lasted about 30min on a rebuild. real turd.

-worse gear box of all, any thing bultaco made.
-worse clutch, anything Maico made.
-worse handeling, any chopper ever made.
-runner up for worse handling my 71' 125MX yamaha, i did the yamaha hop all to often, results were either, flying W or pile driven in to the ground .

-turd hall of fame, royal enfields from india. although i have heard they have improved

that BMW 650 for metrosexuals is really ugly, the goony one, I cant look at it w/o laughing or blowing chips but it has a hell of a motor
Old 04-09-2005, 03:00 PM   #57
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayChile
at least the indian had a cool engine.

my attempt at a list,
- back in the late 70's a friend had one of those 500 2 cyl yamaha, DOHC, dog turd brown, should of been a good bike, odd handling, gear snatch big time, really bland and a real turd.

-TM400 suzuki, looked good, that was it, evil bike, would bitch slap anyone, then blow up.

-70's 500 yamaha MX, lasted about 30min on a rebuild. real turd.

-worse gear box of all, any thing bultaco made.
-worse clutch, anything Maico made.
-worse handeling, any chopper ever made.
-runner up for worse handling my 71' 125MX yamaha, i did the yamaha hop all to often, results were either, flying W or pile driven in to the ground .

-turd hall of fame, royal enfields from india. although i have heard they have improved

that BMW 650 for metrosexuals is really ugly, the goony one, I cant look at it w/o laughing or blowing chips but it has a hell of a motor
Chili - That is a VERY accurate list in my book. But I'd add another contender for the tranny pig of all time; the Sachs 125 with that goofy shifting rod. On other hand, two of the sweetest motors I experienced in those days were the CZ Falta and the Bultaco Pursang 250's. But I never had the chance to wear out either. Just courtesy rides...
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 09:22 AM   #58
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,263
I'd love to have one of those CZ or Bul's ,rolling art ,same with alloy tank maicos, the 125 pursangs were my nemisis way back, I should of bought one, the sherpa s still gives me wood
Old 04-13-2005, 11:09 AM   #59
akrider
mild adventurer

Oddometer: 1,720
my vote

I vote for the Bultaco Alpina.

It did nothing well and died on the sales floor

Ignoranus-def: someone who is stupid and an asshole.
akrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 01:53 PM   #60
summerinmaine
Hells Atheists MC

Oddometer: 42,733
Not sure if this counts, but one of the worst I've ever seen:

Bwwwaaaahhahahahaha!

"My atheism, like that of Spinoza, is true piety towards the universe and denies only gods fashioned by men in their own image, to be servants of their human interests." George Santayana
summerinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote