Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2005, 11:59 AM   #76
HooterView
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,000
I have never owned a bad bike, I always insist on riding before buying. The worst that I have ridden were:

Water Buffalo.. Didn't run right, helped get me fired.
Sportster 1200... After a day riding my R100GS it felt like a total POS.
CR500 (85 heavily modded)... Truly Spooky. A bad crash in the process of happening.

The worst review I ever saw was for the Harley Night Train. The magazine called it the "Fright Train".
HooterView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 12:46 PM   #77
Tinfish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMZ
You can't ride these "things" anywhere but your driveway, but the people who import them from China are making $$$$$$'s.

Sidebar: A 14 YO kid was recently killed, out my way, while riding one on the street at night. A automobile ran over him and drug him a ways, pinned underneath. Driver never saw the kid.
Wasn't the kid who was killed riding a four-wheeled device?

Up the street from me there are two fully-grown men who seem to be proud about riding around the neighborhood on matching mini-bike choppers.
Tinfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 01:36 PM   #78
motojoe
Arrest Cheney and Bush

Oddometer: 1,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darksideofthetree
Don't tell that to the asshats in my neighborhood. Sidewalks, streets, lawns, its all good. I WISH I could get one on the street when I'm in my cage.
After all, I've been hit by cars five times, all on foot, but still. Thin out the herd a bit.
Are you saying you want to ride one on the street or hit one in a cage? if its the first one, uh okay. If you want to hit one, stop driving until you figure out whats wrong in your life that you are so fucked up.
motojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 02:26 PM   #79
Owlseye
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Intersting how somebody mentioned that they never Bought a bad bike; I've never been that restrained... but the years seem to blur some of the frustrations, and I don't seem to remember ever Selling a bad bike. Some of the noteables... A mid 50's Cotton-- British trials bike with an Earles style front suspension, and no appreciable rear suspension that I recall. It had a 2 stroke Villiers motor and how it ran depended on... something that I never figured out. Phases of the moon maybe, but I remember buying it for $35 and selling it a year later for $50. Thought I was a genius, but if I had it now, how much would it be worth? Shortly after that I bought a brand new 1970 Moto Beta motocrosser. It was a gnarley looking 100 cc -much better than my Honda 90 of the time. It had the first 6 speed transmission that I've ever had, and a power band of maybe 100 RPM. The first half hour of shifting up and down was prety cool, but made for a long day. I've never seen another one-- I traded it for a BSA 441. Somebody else wrote a chapter on those heart breakers.
Owlseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 03:18 PM   #80
Ray of Sunshine
Meat Donut 2 Some

Oddometer: 16,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by motojoe
Are you saying you want to ride one on the street or hit one in a cage? if its the first one, uh okay. If you want to hit one, stop driving until you figure out whats wrong in your life that you are so fucked up.
Oh, I know why my life is fucked up, my question to you is why are you so judgemental as to call my life fucked up? Do you know anything about my life? Do you have ny idea of who I am or how I live my life? Nope, I don't think so, I make a joking comment about these clowns and their mini motos operating anywhere they want in any manner they want, and wishing to administer a little fender correction to their misdeeds and I get this judgement from you that my life is "fucked up".
In response

Life is better, but why not?
Ray of Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 05:01 PM   #81
jkm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Honda 65. Handlebars were rubber mounted and the rubber bushings lasted about 15 minutes then the hanblebars just wobbled around. People actually rode them on the highway. I remember liking the bike, but it was still junk.
jkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 07:12 PM   #82
DMZ
Castor Bean Addict

Oddometer: 10,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkm
Honda 65. Handlebars were rubber mounted and the rubber bushings lasted about 15 minutes then the hanblebars just wobbled around. People actually rode them on the highway. I remember liking the bike, but it was still junk.
Is this the bike in question?

DMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 10:07 PM   #83
slowbike smallpenis
Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer: 19,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by santaferider
Ariel Square Four...
Old 05-04-2005, 05:56 AM   #84
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,839
The worst bike ever had to be,without any doubt, the MUNCH MAMMOTH(not sure on how to spell it) I had the exterme displeasure of getting to ride one in 1988 and it was the biggest,most vile,steaming pile-of-poo,that I've ever had the misfortune to throw a leg over.This thing had not one redeaming quality to it,it did have alot of power(for it's day anyhow) but on something that handled(?)that bad it surely was'nt a plus.I think the only two-wheeled thing ever made that was uglier was that "ROAD DAWG" or whatever the name of that old thing with the drunk dude sitting on it was.The MUNCH made a SUZUKI RE-5 look great.I think the second worst,at least IMHO,would have to be either of the KAWASAKI triples.Take your pick,500 or 750,handling to die from,very fast motor(both for acceleration and exploding itself),it could shake the fillings out of your teeth,and shitty brakes.Well,at least it looked good.I must admit that I never rode one because I figured that it did'nt need my official seal-of-disapproval!
SEE YA
CHRIS
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 02:29 PM   #85
Harpeaux
Mega Psycho Scooter Tramp

Oddometer: 1,022
I had a new 74 Yamaha TX-500 that saw me through my first few years of collage. I never had any major problems with it that weren't self inflicted, but it wasn't a very awe inspiring ride. I ended up selling it to buy a 62 XLCH chopper..safest bike I ever owned... sum bitch never would start.
Iron Butt Member #12512

Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.
Harpeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 04:12 PM   #86
RT jim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpeaux
62 XLCH chopper..safest bike I ever owned... sum bitch never would start.
good leg work out
RT jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 08:34 AM   #87
Swillmongrel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
I know the Yamaha TX500 is often regarded as one of the worst. In the late 80s my friend bought one at a garage sale for $35 and then took it on a trip with me from Minnesota to the east coast and back through Canada. Other than soaking his right leg in oil at random times, it gave him less trouble on the trip than my 1982 GPZ550 gave me.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Rokon 340 Automatic in this hall of shame. They had pull ropes to start like a lawn-mower, the throttle would stick and then there was no way to slow down until you crashed into something. There's a team that vintage motocrosses them. Everyone else is afraid of them. One got loose in the pits (sans rider) and didn't stop until it crashed into a motorhome and got under it, spinning round and round in circles and tearing up the undercarriage.

Swillmongrel screwed with this post 05-11-2005 at 09:11 AM
Swillmongrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 11:15 AM   #88
McB
Joe 40 ouncer

Oddometer: 15,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C.F.RIDER
The worst bike ever had to be,without any doubt, the MUNCH MAMMOTH(not sure on how to spell it) I had the exterme displeasure of getting to ride one in 1988 and it was the biggest,most vile,steaming pile-of-poo,that I've ever had the misfortune to throw a leg over.This thing had not one redeaming quality to it,it did have alot of power(for it's day anyhow) but on something that handled(?)that bad it surely was'nt a plus.I think the only two-wheeled thing ever made that was uglier was that "ROAD DAWG" or whatever the name of that old thing with the drunk dude sitting on it was.The MUNCH made a SUZUKI RE-5 look great.I think the second worst,at least IMHO,would have to be either of the KAWASAKI triples.Take your pick,500 or 750,handling to die from,very fast motor(both for acceleration and exploding itself),it could shake the fillings out of your teeth,and shitty brakes.Well,at least it looked good.I must admit that I never rode one because I figured that it did'nt need my official seal-of-disapproval!
SEE YA
CHRIS
Was the Mammoth the Brazilian bike with the VW engine?
McB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 11:25 AM   #89
not2fast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 695
The Rokon 340 was also available in an Enduro form. Here the rope start was a negative as most East Coast enduros were 4 wide and dead engine start. There was not much room on the line to pull the rope without slugging the rider next to you. Most riders knew to give the Rokon boys lots of room but the newbies found out the hard way....

Many Rokons were done-in at deep water crossings. The drive belt would slip when it was soaked so getting out of a stream was difficult at best. I did not ride a Rokon but had my bike work done by a shop near Hamburg PA that sold them. They carried Rokon, Yankee, and Ossa.

The owner was a nice guy but wound up getting arrested for drug dealing. I'm sure there is a tie-in to the brand of bikes he sold and messing with pot.

Terry
Old 05-11-2005, 12:12 PM   #90
Ray of Sunshine
Meat Donut 2 Some

Oddometer: 16,857
Nope, the Brazilian bike (home of shitty bikes and hot women) was the Amazonas. Amazingly, this turd was only built to order. Powered by a very easy to get VW flat four.
The Munch Mammut was powered by an air cooled NSU engine, part of the Auto Union combine. NSU later went bust making RO 80 autos, a Wankel powered turd. BTW Wankel=turd. It is a corollary.
In the 60's and for a short while after, there was a hot setup to put a VW (good) or Porsche (same idea, warmed over) in a /2 frame. Not a bad fit, I saw one a long while back at a BMWOA rally. Looked like the factory meant it.
I also saw a pre Big One Zundapp with a factory flat four. Built in low numbers, because the Germans got all distracted with trying to take over Europe.
Ed the anorak

Life is better, but why not?

Darksideofthetree screwed with this post 05-11-2005 at 01:08 PM
Ray of Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote