User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2005, 09:18 PM   #106
Grestil
Doing it wrong

Oddometer: 299
Thumbs down

I would like to submit my old Suzuki TS100, a rotary valved 2 stroke I had long ago. It was a real turd, even to a 15 yr old me!
Grestil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 11:52 PM   #107
herobikes
HE AINT HEAVY HES MY LC4

Oddometer: 207
Suzuki tm 400 motocrosser. To much power for the evil chasiss.
herobikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 10:02 PM   #108
Spacerat
I worry about my apathy.

Oddometer: 3,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpeaux
TX-500 that saw me through my first few years of collage.
Is that an art school?

(couldn't resist)
Old 05-24-2005, 11:10 PM   #109
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,851
Amazed nobody mentioned the CB500T yet. Had to be even worse than the derided TX500. I would put AMC HD's at the top of the heap though.

There were dozens of European made sub-150cc bikes that might rate as crap. Garelli and Gilera made a few that were great when they ran! Mopeds don't count or we could go on forever.

Surprised the Norton rotary made someone's list as the JPS version was so successful in racing. Lots of 60's/70's Brit iron sucked but were mostly not inherently bad, just hopelessly outdated.

The italians made some pretty bad bikes in the 70's - even though they are all probably highly collectible now. Anyone remember the Laverda Alpino? ... Thought not! Benelli 504?
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 01:32 PM   #110
dsrtdwg1
b00b

Oddometer: 8
The Kawasaki KT250 and the Suzuki RL250.While decent bikes they were sales flops and one of the few bad moves on the part of the Japanese M/C builders.As I remember it took some dealers years to be shed of them
dsrtdwg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 08:41 PM   #111
AL-58
BMWs make good landfill

Oddometer: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagemxr
The very first batch of TX750's in the USA had flawed castings in their inner case halves. Yamaha actually dispatched special teams around the country to dealers to pull engines apart and swap in new cases.

I always thought the TX750 was a nice clean design but the early poor reviews and word spreading about the case issue pretty much sealed the bike's fate.

I can't remember anymore what the issues were with the TX500. I know it was one of the early 4-valve head designs but I don't recall much beyond that.

The Suzuki RE5 Rotary would get my vote as maybe the worst bike or poorest concept from the Japanese.
Yamaha rushed some TX750s to Australia to take part in the annual Castrol 6 hour endurance race for standard production bikes. None of them finished the race, forget being competetive. Did wonders for sales.

I had a TX500 as my first road bike, Coming back from a 3 hour ride, it started to run on one cylinder, a quick check showed nothing obvious so we kept going, sometimes on one, sometimes on two.

Found no compression in one cylinder, when the head came off we found that the aluminium between the exhaust valve seats had melted away, allowing all the compression to go straight out the pipe. Turns out cracked head were normal. Also had an issue with the timing plate, had to time the two cylinders separately.

Most overrated bikes I've had, maybe not the worst, any of three BMW Boxers(100GS, 1100GS, 1100R), lovely bikes in most ways, but the repuation for longevity, low running costs, reliability and resale value is not deserved. Most of my Japanese bikes have been more reliable long term. The BM K's are a different matter entirely. Worst Bike?, looking back probably a '96 Triumph Trophy 900.

AL-58 screwed with this post 11-04-2005 at 01:30 AM
AL-58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 11:07 PM   #112
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,817
It all comes down to this: if you had unlimited space and money, which bike would you NOT keep even if it were given to you in showroom perfect condition? I'd keep almost every bike listed. Amazonas, Munchs, CZ, Bultaco, English, Italian, Ural, Chinese BMW copies, Chinese XR50 copies, Harleys, TX750s, XS750s, water buffalos, wankels, even OCC creations.

But the one I've seen more than a couple of times in this list is the Suzuki Madura. Yamaha got 'double vision' and created VMax. The Honda stylists put on their beer goggles and penned the V65 Sabre. As if it wasn't ugly enough, the Suzuki stylists dropped acid AFTER their beer and designed the Madura. It's a motorcycle that while completely functional, leaves me absolutely cold. I can't even warm up to it as an oddball. I think we have a winner.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:46 AM   #113
iillyyaa
Adwrenchurer!

Oddometer: 2,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregCifu
As if it wasn't ugly enough, the Suzuki stylists dropped acid AFTER their beer and designed the Madura. It's a motorcycle that while completely functional, leaves me absolutely cold. I can't even warm up to it as an oddball. I think we have a winner.
Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Especially if the beholder is on just as much acid and beer as the designer...

And I like the ad slogan: "Works like a partially moving single..." Besides, those chicks seem to dig it.

'02 Suzuki SV650 CCS/LRRS #760 Expert
iillyyaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 09:47 AM   #114
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,817
Dang, that is a great find. That ad really didn't capture just how ugly it is. It's fugliness just can't be captured in 2D. I saw an amazingly clean one in a parking lot about 6 months ago. It looked like new. I wasn't sure if the owner only pulled it into the light of day 10 times in 20 years or if it had been sitting in the showroom that long waiting for a buyer. Like any bike that old, I spent a few minutes looking at it.

There ARE uglier motorcycles out there but they come from smaller companies that don't have a real styling budget (the Ural cruiser, the Amazonas, Boss Hoss). A company as large as Suzuki really doesn't have an excuse for producing something that ugly. It wasn't as fast as the Vmax or V65. It wasn't a particularly good handler. It wasn't a good touring bike, they had the Cavalcade for that: same engine, almost as ugly. It was a bike with no advantage. I don't remember the prices but maybe it was cheaper than the competition.

Can you imagine some guy walking into a dealership with his checkbook in hand and going, "YEAH! That's what I'm talking about! I want to ride THAT for the next 5 years!"
Old 11-04-2005, 10:11 AM   #115
Ray of Sunshine
Meat Donut 2 Some

Oddometer: 16,855
Can you imagine some guy walking into a dealership with his checkbook in hand and going, "YEAH! That's what I'm talking about! I want to ride THAT for the next 5 years!"[/QUOTE]
That is wha all 20 original buyers said though.

Life is better, but why not?
Ray of Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 02:25 PM   #116
XS500RUS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Thumb Xs500

I noticed a lot of trash talk concerning the 8 valve Yamaha twins
Perhaps you'd be interested to know that my 1976 Yamaha XS500 has close to 40k miles on the clock! I bought it for $50 without any sort of paperwork and a really strangely disassembled engine: someone took off all the valve tappets and then screwed the valve cover back on My brother and I put the bike back together and got it titled/registered etc. I've done rides up to the Adirondacks and the Green mountains in Vermont, it hasn't skipped a beat. My friend bought a '73 TX500 simultaneously (also for $50, also without paperwork). His blew up on the Adirondack trip (cracked head). Now we put on the newer one-piece head and are planning a cross country trip on the bikes.

At a campsite in the Catskills:

What turned out to be a fruitless attempt at starting the troubled TX:
XS500RUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 05:14 PM   #117
Garbln
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
I had one of the XS500's it was an OK bike but mine was one of the earlyer ones with the two piece head so it always leaked oil from the top. I never thought it was that smooth, it had a high freq vibration that really got to me. Nobody else seemed to be bothered by it. I traded it for a 77 XS650D that had more vibration at the low end but I found the low freq vibration easyer to live with. Shows what I know.
Garbln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 07:18 PM   #118
XS500RUS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbln
I had one of the XS500's it was an OK bike but mine was one of the earlyer ones with the two piece head so it always leaked oil from the top. I never thought it was that smooth, it had a high freq vibration that really got to me. Nobody else seemed to be bothered by it. I traded it for a 77 XS650D that had more vibration at the low end but I found the low freq vibration easyer to live with. Shows what I know.
I have the one piece head but still have some oil seeping issues at the moment, bad valve cover gasket.
XS500RUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 11:33 PM   #119
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by iillyyaa
Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Especially if the beholder is on just as much acid and beer as the designer...

And I like the ad slogan: "Works like a partially moving single..." Besides, those chicks seem to dig it.

That ad really sells the bike. Nothing a couple hot girls in their 20's, in a classic American roadster love more than a middle-aged goober on a crappy Jap bike, tooling along with his Member's only jacket, work gloves, and a posture that would make his finishing school teacher proud.

No telling how many shop teachers named Harvey got knee deep in poon because of their Madura!

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 10:56 AM   #120
dynodon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Without a doubt, the worst motorcycle ever was my first one, a Montgomery Wards 250 Single cyl made somewhere in Italy.

Bought it on a credit card when a Soph in college in S. Illinois. The single cyl popper was 4 cycle, but had ZERO rubber bushings anywhere on the bike. Thing vibrated so bad it would burn out the lightbulbs in the taillight and headlight about once a week.

Damn thing spent more time in the back of a pickup going to the shop than it did on the road.

After about 2 months that summer (1967 I think) I took it back to the store and begged them to just take it back and call my account even. I had paid about half on the bike, but just wanted out from the last payments. they did and I was happy, not sure if MWards was, but they took the deal!
My Avitar? Intake manifold of the V6 Yamaha engine in the 89-95 Ford Taurus SHO. My "cage" love!
dynodon is offline   Reply With Quote