Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2011, 07:33 PM   #46
Transalp Jas
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 806
How do you guys carry things you pick up if you don't have your "tins" on? Having secure storage on any motorcycle makes it much more practical. At least it has for me.

Chuck Norrris has never gotten a Jeopardy question wrong. Jesus has missed two.
Transalp Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:01 PM   #47
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,912
I think you have to say that by any measure it was a major mistake by KTM. As much as their lots 'made for TV' moments and some trickery about their knowledge of the route etc. Colebatch seems to have some inside knowledge.

I have to agree with others who they did a lot to put adventure riding on the map. Yep they faked parts of it but for the most part it an accurate portrayal of what that trip would be like if the average joe did it.

The guy from KTM who came along to assess them was an arrogant SOB. Just because he had done he looked down his nose at others who were less experienced.

Let's face it was a major mistake by KTM, trying put some other spin on it masks the truth.

Starting next year I plan to spend two years riding around the world two-up. As I have to pay for it myself I will take my trusty 950. If I was in a position to have a film crew follow me and get sponsorship, I would glady take a suitable free bike over one I had to pay for.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-27.605186,152.924931
Snet from ym iPohne using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:12 PM   #48
mellowdave
Красное октябрь

Oddometer: 153
SOOO the hate.

The hardcores in here scoff at them for their utilization of available resources. It wasn't about them "roughing it" it was about riding motorcycles around that part of the world. They make no qualms at all about staying in high dollar hotels, and resorts more than once, on both trips, but the bottom line is they rode most of the way both times.

The average guy can't take three WEEKS off work to ride around, much less TWO YEARS as some of you have said. It made the whole idea of "adventure riding" accessible, and sold a shitload of BMWs AND KTM's. To listen to most of you talk you could have made the ride on a 7 year old Kyosung and a ziplock taped to it, but the bottom line is its a cool show, and a cool concept.

I personally got completely and totally sick of Boarman crying about this or that little petty thing, and I couldn't even watch all of the show about him riding Dakar for his incessant belly aching. It was great fun to watch Obe Wans significant other low side every ten minutes in LWD, and the scene with the Russian mobster in LWR is worth the entire rest of both DVDs.

2000 Ducati 996::Several XRs
mellowdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:40 PM   #49
Dan Diego
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
The green-eyed monster is orange now.

Wow, the haters on this thread can't contain their jeolousy.

I liked LWR. Enjoyed the hell out of it. Would've liked it whether they rode BMWs, KTM or Huskies.

Those of us who have been all over the world know that BMW parts (like Toyota and others) are fairly easy to obtain. I truly haven't seen KTM shops in many Latin American or Asian countries (hey, might've misssed them).

Still, you KTM guys have got to let the anger go. KTM dropped the ball big-time. And no amount of sour grapes ("I'm GLAD that KTM passed on LWR." Yeah, right).

Seriously, let it go.

And my panniers--empty or not--are useful to me when I go far or near.

Later, haters.

Triumph Rocket III Touring, KTM 990 ADV
Dan Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:43 PM   #50
McGoo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremjeepn View Post
Because it's business. He did not get rich by paying to do things on film. Why not get paid to ride instead of paying for it? Good work if you can get it!!
True. I dont begrudge him for getting the 'free ride' ( see what I did there?), but surely he would have known that funding a trip like this was an investment, not a folly.
McGoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:45 PM   #51
JBSmith
Ink-stained wretch

Oddometer: 974
“I don’t think anyone realises how much work goes into making these three look like f---wits.”

This quote is from this article about Top Gear. It probably didn't surprise a lot of people who know how TV is made, but it might have come as a shock to some others.

It makes me wonder how much of the hand-wringing, moaning, and potentially ride-terminating disaster that blighted LWR was fabricated for effect. Even before they started they must have cut a deal with someone to bring back usable footage. Just as "reality" TV is edited heavily to pump up the conflict, it's possible LWR got sweetened in the drama department for better ratings.

If it had been me doing the ride (like that was ever gonna happen!) I'd have been embarrassed to be shown complaining about a trip most people on this forum would have given a body part to go on. But when your two lead characters are actors, well, it's not a matter of embarrassment--it's art.

My bottom line is I enjoyed most of the series, but as I've already said, I always skip over the whiny stuff.

Cycle Guide Magazine The digital update of the print-era classic
JBSmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:54 PM   #52
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Diego View Post
The green-eyed monster is orange now.
Ha,ha so true.

Quote:
I liked LWR. Enjoyed the hell out of it. Would've liked it whether they rode BMWs, KTM or Huskies.
Me too and it opened my eyes to Russia and Mongolia. I hasn't thought to travel there until I watched LWR now I will be there next year. In fact it was good enough to make LWD a bit of a dissapointing follow up (but then again Africa has been a long time dream so maybe I expected more from it)

Quote:
Still, you KTM guys have got to let the anger go. KTM dropped the ball big-time.
They sure did and if that arrogant SOB had of come to advise me I would just said 'fuck it we are going with BMW'.

Don't get me wrong I love my big KTM, but they fucked up royally with this.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-27.605304,152.924864
Snet from ym iPohne using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:42 AM   #53
nath1977
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xorQ...e_gdata_player
Old 11-02-2011, 02:09 AM   #54
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,702
a lot of the 'support' centres around the fact that EM has a very full schedule so the timetable is tight and the fact that it is a sold show mandates proper production values and equipment....it immediately becomes much more complex than two mates on a trip round europe....read the book
Old 11-02-2011, 03:05 AM   #55
mrjemm
Clumsy Oaf

Oddometer: 350
Miaow.

Oh gawd, I forgot how any mention of this topic descends rapidly into such a ridiculous bitchfest. How petty folk can be (on here). Sorry guys, but it's crap being so anti the show. It's TV. Yes, it's hyped etc. What do you expect?

And in the years since the shows, this site has grown far bigger than it was before. It's a reflection of this market sector being bolstered by such exposure.

And out comes the old faithful "Mondo Enduro" so superior issue as ever. Sorry again folks, but I couldn't watch beyond the 2nd episode when it was aired on telly. Not that I watched beyond the 1st LWD. Yeah fellers you're proper adventure types... but where's the remote?

Kind of reminds me of climate change deniers. Does them no harm to admit it exists, but go blue in the face to shout it down.

Rant over.
mrjemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:54 AM   #56
Ze_zaskar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Never understood all the "anger" against LWR or LWD. They are a couple of actors who decided to make a movie about something we all love. As a movie, its obvious it'll have a filming crew and some acting involved. Some people always have trouble to apreciate things in context...

KTM sure lost something with their denial. Just look at the BMWs they used, several problems with the R1150GSAs on LWR and the R1200GSAs almost fell apart when they arrived to the desert on LWD. Yet the general public hardly remembers those issues, only that they used some "badass" and "impressive" machines. There's no bad advertising, they say...BMW associated itself to adventure riding forever to the mainstream public with these films.

About keeping the "tins" all the time... some riders use their bikes not only to hit some green lanes on the weekend but to practical stuff too, maybe all the week. My only transportation is my bike, I make all my living with it, so I often ride with 3 rigid cases for weeks. Grocery, athletic equipment, rainsuit and some warmer clothes, they all need to be carried, protected from the elements and theft. If someone who keeps the tins is a RTW poseur, then who say this can be considered rally raid poseurs... Again, think in context
Ze_zaskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:00 AM   #57
macrae85
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartmyNx View Post
That sounds like what the hypothetical conversation Toyota would have had, had Camel approached them,...

And the out-comes the same...

Didnt take anything away from Landcruiser, but sure didnt make them a household name either... Lucas did that

Still, woulda been cool to see both KTM and LC had they have taken that fork in the road...
Toyota Landcruiser IS a household name,maybe not in the little isolated World of Planet USA,but
nothing survives an Australia mine but a Landcruiser-they've tried everything else,and it might come
as a shock,American junk cant take the harse enviroment!We'd be far better importing Landcruisers
into my industry here in the States,harvest.I'd have one anyday over anything built here.For example
Ford exhibit their new F150 and the roof cloth is falling off before the end of a 2 day show,i doesn't say
much about quality!
Similar thing to KTM,the LWR would have embarrassed them.I dont know about a 'little money',but $4.3
from the TV rights alone sounds good to me!
P.S. From memory it was Mitsubishi L200's that were used,not Toyotas.Nissans on LWD.
macrae85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:58 AM   #58
zolo OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Holly Hell,
Who gives a fuck how anyone here would have done it? Also we all know Boorman is a bitchy little girl.
And why the hell are there post in here about LandCruisers and 4wds?
Stop being a bunch of wankers,(yes I said wankers and I'm American)

Back on topic!!!

THE ORIGINAL QUESTION:
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHY KTM SAID NO
zolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:28 AM   #59
Black Hills
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by zolo View Post
Holly Hell,

THE ORIGINAL QUESTION:
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHY KTM SAID NO.
Fairly simple: it was, in thier minds, a good business decision.
Black Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:35 AM   #60
zolo OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Hills View Post
Fairly simple: it was, in their minds, a good business decision.

Ok cool,
Now we can all go back to making fun of others and stating our opinion about things and making fun of "tins"
This is a pretty good discussion.

I personally have a hard time watching the LWR series again.
They do complain a lot for having been given bikes and funds and logistical support for a trip they wanted to do.
zolo is offline   Reply With Quote