Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 4.55 average. Display Modes
Old 12-07-2013, 07:23 PM   #691
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by theothersean View Post
but did you light the grill with a lighter
It is the Weber model with a gas bottle to start the charcoal aka the easy button.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:29 AM   #692
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,006
Rope Lighter?

Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:38 AM   #693
Smithy OP
Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer: 7,372
Same concept as what I described before. I find his device intriguing, but too many moving parts, or bits to lose (what happens if you drop the ball when the charred rope lets go of the little hook?) and the striker seems awfully exposed to damage out there. But, same rope-in-a-tube with a charred end, and whatever source of spark you have (flint & steel, ferro rod, fresnel lens, dying ember from the last campfire...) and you can extend your ember for as long as it takes to get a new fire going.

Also, highly related to "slow match", which was nothing but a smouldering cotton rope treated with potassium nitrate, among other chemicals, to regulate the rate of burn.

Proprietor of The Tidewater Forge
Hot iron is my passion. Fire is my mistress. Let's dance.
Smithy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:11 AM   #694
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Searching around there are variations on this but there don't seem to any/many for sale as a currently made commercial product.

It would seem that the advantage is that the flint/steel is near the rope and gives you an easier way to get the ember going than using a firesteel and striker.

That said, the cotton rope, as you mentioned, is probably a good source to hold an ember or even a flame, to start some wood. One person on youtube just used a cotton rope soaked in vaseline with a metal tube (to snuff out the flame/embers) as a "slow match".
Old 12-15-2013, 09:55 AM   #695
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

So I was in Home Depot and I picked up a couple of items to experiment with.

IMO the Weber cubes are indeed superior to the Wetfire. Less expensive, hard to put out (I could not blow it out, the only way to put it out that I tried was to smother it or douse it with water), restartable, and reportedly last longer. I could not start one from a firesteel, but they started very easy from a match/flame.

The cube would start/burn wet, but not as easily as dry. They do float in water and can take a flame, but it never amounts to much as I think the water cools it too much. I think these are mostly some kind of flammable wax mixture - they take a few seconds to get going well. Not sure why anyone would want to burn something in water, I am sure this is marketing to prove Wetfire burns when wet - so to that end, so do the Webers; once I took them out of the water they burned well.

I have some Duraflame Quickflame which is basically sawdust impregnated with some kind of petroleum product then pressed together. These are useful for starting a fire in my woodstove as they last long enough to get it going well (I use mostly sawdust logs for now - next year I will get some firewood and make some kindling). The Duraflame burned longer than a similar sized chunk of Weber cube, but were harder to start with a match and are much easier to blow out.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:12 AM   #696
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

I also got some rope/twine.

They didn't seem to have any jute rope so I got some jute twine instead.

They had some sisal cord and I got some of that too.

I got some cotton/poly rope. They had no pure cotton rope. I believe only the core was poly and I removed the core easily.

The jute twine is very flammable. Pretty much goes up in a poof. would make good tinder, but I could not catch it with a firesteel.

The sisal was much harder to start with a match, but it held an ember once it got going - if you blew on it.

The cotton rope starts okay with a match, but even after charring the end real well, I could not start it with a firesteel. I am going experiment with it more.

I will probably add the jute twine to a firekit as something to use as tinder, but I want a larger diameter rope.

I played around with the dryer lint. If I totally work the vaseline into it, it is hard to start with a firesteel, but once started it burns considerably longer. I think the trick for any cotton is to leave the inner portion of it dry and untreated, and have the outside waterproof with something flammable so the inside stays dry.

Then when you need it, you open it up so the inside is exposed and takes a spark into flame, then the rest of the cotton burns long enough to start a fire with some tinder/kindling/etc.

One youtuber recommends covering a cotton ball in beeswax, but being careful to leave the inside dry. I will order some beeswax and paraffin wax to experiment with.

I went by the Dollar Store and got some small sample/purse sized bottles of hand sanitizer based on alcohol. That will be included in a GHB for dual purpose; sanitizing and firestarting. It starts readily with a flame and burns for a while. I have noticed that if you put it on cotton then it burns at first, but if you leave it for a day or so then the alcohol evaporates and you are left with the rest of the cleanser which is not flammable - just the opposite. So I don't see any real use in using it in conjunction with cotton as the alcohol burns fine by itself IMO.

One side comment; it seems harder and harder to find a hardware store that has everything that they used to have. Beeswax, even paraffin wax - not at Home Depot. Cotton rope? Nope. Mostly have to order those kinds of things online now.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:36 AM   #697
John E
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 720
Couple questions...

Did you pick the twine apart and make a tinder bundle out of it?

How much Vaseline are you using with the cotton balls?

My experience has been that jute twine as well as Vaseline impregnated cotton will start easily with a firesteel if you prepare them properly.

You have to pull the twine apart and then make it into a ball. Increasing the surface area will it catch a spark. Unfortunately it tends to flame out pretty quickly, you need a good supply of other tinder onhand to use it effectively IMO. It is an easy way to carry tinder as its very compact until you need it and it's multi purpose as well.

Most people use way too much Vaseline with coton balls. The trick is to use a small amount and before you use it you spread it out and fluff out the cotton, again to increase the surface area. Some people seem to think the Vaseline is meant to waterproof or seal the cotton from moisture, that's not it's role at all. It's job is to keep the cotton burning longer, you need to keep it in a waterproof container to keep it dry.

Not meaning to come across as condescending.

"1952 Vincent Black Lightning"
Richard Thompson
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:43 AM   #698
theothersean
dirty boy

Oddometer: 896
+1 on pulling apart the twine and fluffing it , I have always been able to ignite it with a fire steel . Just takes a bit of time to prep it into a nest . You can always take several strands of it and braid your own rope out of it .

I have also inter twined it into a paracord bracelet . But not necessarily a water proof way to carry it but at least you have some if needed .
04 prairie 700 (plow duty)
theothersean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:49 PM   #699
01001010 01000011
AKA-JC

Oddometer: 253
I have been looking for a rope lighter for a long time, do you have a link to new "for sale",
the going gear page does not show them ?
That model is actually a copy of a WWI windproof "trench" lighter.
Yes the ball might get lost but all you need to do is pull the rope into the tube and it will
snuff itself out.
I have also seen a similar type of device at BlackPowder Rendezous, a Brass or Copper
tube with a loop soldered on the side (tie/lash point). Rope, SlowMatch, or Rolled Wicking
was inserted in the tube then charred as shown (in a realfire). The spark from a traditional flint n steel set could then easily be caught a blown into a coal and transferred to a tinder bundle. To snuff out the ember the rope was just pulled back into the tube.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:58 PM   #700
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

I tried to pick apart the jute, sisal and cotton cordage.

The jute was very small diameter twine so there wasn't much there to pick apart. It seemed to be the only jute they had in stock IIRC. I have seen much larger diameter jute in vids and photos, so I will try to get some more elsewhere.

The sisal was pretty tough to pick apart and didn't light easily even with a match - I got it to try it. Worst case I have some cordage to do other things with and now I know the capabilities of sisal.

The cotton was somewhat easier and seems the most promising. I will continue to experiment with it towards a slow match.

I am not discounting the possibility that these were treated in some way that isn't mentioned on the packaging, possibly something that hinders their flammability.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:00 PM   #701
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01001010 01000011 View Post
I have been looking for a rope lighter for a long time, do you have a link to new "for sale",
the going gear page does not show them ?
That model is actually a copy of a WWI windproof "trench" lighter.
Yes the ball might get lost but all you need to do is pull the rope into the tube and it will
snuff itself out.
I have also seen a similar type of device at BlackPowder Rendezous, a Brass or Copper
tube with a loop soldered on the side (tie/lash point). Rope, SlowMatch, or Rolled Wicking
was inserted in the tube then charred as shown (in a realfire). The spark from a traditional flint n steel set could then easily be caught a blown into a coal and transferred to a tinder bundle. To snuff out the ember the rope was just pulled back into the tube.
I have not seen any for sale that were not antiques themselves. The GoingGear one as you noticed they no longer offer.

I think a person could make one easily enough with one of the flint striker products attached to a tube.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:49 PM   #702
theothersean
dirty boy

Oddometer: 896
Just saw this recently

https://secure.survivallife.com/land...&utm_campaign=[ES][Saleamp][Fbads][Backwild][12-6-13]&Contact0LeadSourceId=13627
04 prairie 700 (plow duty)
theothersean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:50 PM   #703
01001010 01000011
AKA-JC

Likely but finding and soldering the striker the only issue.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:16 PM   #704
milq
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee View Post

Beeswax, even paraffin wax - not at Home Depot. Cotton rope? Nope. Mostly have to order those kinds of things online now.

Toilet base gaskets! That's the best quick source of soft wax that I'm aware of. Not sure if they're pure beeswax but they work for low temp. melting into seized pins/bores in order to free them, so I suspect they have a large beeswax content. Cheap too.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #705
01001010 01000011
AKA-JC

Ace Hardware will have lamp wick.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: