Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2012, 07:27 PM   #886
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,223
How does the bivouac work: Is it just show up and take a spot or are they assigned by the ASO?
Old 01-12-2012, 07:27 PM   #887
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 9,021
We don't change any tires, part of your entry fee is a tire changing service. Michelin has a shop setup at each bivouac, you drop off a fresh mouse and tire with a rim and pick them up a few hours later

Neds bike gets a fresh set every second day, 14 days of racing......14 tires and 14 mouses. Three riders so....42 tires and 42 mouses started out on the roof (give or take). A few sets of wheels per rider on top of that.

They have the most amazing dish of food down here...no idea what it is called in spenish but it translates to Steak Everything. A plate of fries with some toast on it, then fried eggs and then a steak topped with peppers and onions. Its awesome, we had a great steak everything in a wee family run restaurant this aft. Its like three meals in one for about four bucks. To drink they have something called Inca Cola, its like a liome cream soda and tastes the bomb.

Feels right weird in the bivouac without the bikes....good thing we have the Robby Gordon show next door to keep us company. That dude is a work aholic, he has a staff of 20 or so and they are all standing around watching him wrench on his vechicle. Saw hime ask a mechanic to tighten something, the dude just stares at him so) grabs the wrench and puts it on the bolt then grabs the dudes hand and puts it on the wrench. Tells a photogrpaher to take a picture and the "mechanic" does a cheeseball pose. Seriously that RB guy is insane. The other day he had zero sleep as he was dealing with aso officials about some bogus ruling thenhe turned wrenches until it was time for him to leave. Crazy.

Well, tomorrow is another cluster as we aren't allowed to leave the bivouac until all the races vechicles are gone. This means Ned will likely beat us to tomorrows bivouac which sucks for him and us

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:35 PM   #888
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Feels right weird in the bivouac without the bikes....good thing we have the Robby Gordon show next door to keep us company. That dude is a work aholic, he has a staff of 20 or so and they are all standing around watching him wrench on his vechicle. Saw hime ask a mechanic to tighten something, the dude just stares at him so) grabs the wrench and puts it on the bolt then grabs the dudes hand and puts it on the wrench. Tells a photogrpaher to take a picture and the "mechanic" does a cheeseball pose. Seriously that RB guy is insane. The other day he had zero sleep as he was dealing with aso officials about some bogus ruling thenhe turned wrenches until it was time for him to leave. Crazy.
This may explain a few things.....

With all the troubles they had on Nasser's hummer I don't think I'd let those guys work on my stuff either!

...the old adage,'if you want it done right........
Old 01-12-2012, 09:24 PM   #889
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,460
Hey Deadly, stupid question that you might be able to answer since you're there -- is there really RedBull in the cans those guys swill as soon as they stop, or is it water or some other beverage packaged so as to fulfill sponsorship requirements?

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:45 PM   #890
toddiscdn
Take off, EH!

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule View Post
Hey Deadly, stupid question that you might be able to answer since you're there -- is there really RedBull in the cans those guys swill as soon as they stop, or is it water or some other beverage packaged so as to fulfill sponsorship requirements?
I was just thinknig that today as well while watching Coma down one right after getting off the bike. That swill certianly wouldnt be at the top of my list at a time like that, ymmv
toddiscdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:54 PM   #891
knybanjo
kinda slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddiscdn View Post
I was just thinknig that today as well while watching Coma down one right after getting off the bike. That swill certianly wouldnt be at the top of my list at a time like that, ymmv
It works for me. Whenever I'm out on a big ride it's just natural to grab a small sugar free redbull every time I fill the tank. No matter the temp or type of riding......as you say ymmv.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:12 PM   #892
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by knybanjo View Post
It works for me. Whenever I'm out on a big ride it's just natural to grab a small sugar free redbull every time I fill the tank. No matter the temp or type of riding......as you say ymmv.
That's my choice if I need the caffeine hit, too (yes, I know, don't get me started on the whole health thing). No sugar crash down the line, and relatively little liquid volume so you won't have to stop 20min later to offload (yes, I have a camelbak, and maintain my normal hydration routine).

Just wondering about the big boys since they're in an obviously different situation, both physically, and financially.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:22 PM   #893
BMad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Ted, the inside info is awesome

Looking forward to the book
BMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:26 PM   #894
knybanjo
kinda slow

Quote:
That's my choice if I need the caffeine hit, too (yes, I know, don't get me started on the whole health thing). No sugar crash down the line, and relatively little liquid volume so you won't have to stop 20min later to offload (yes, I have a camelbak, and maintain my normal hydration routine).

Just wondering about the big boys since they're in an obviously different situation, both physically, and financially.
Yeah...those two (CD&MC) are probably under contract to tip a can when being interviewed. I don't suppose that the can even has to actually be open though, who could tell?
Old 01-13-2012, 04:12 AM   #895
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 9,021
We packed up early and tried to get out of the gate before the race vehicles, no go unfortunately. We are being held for an hour an a half sadly. We do have poll position though and we are patently waiting until they let someone threw (french) and they we are gonna make a break for it

What a cluster muck

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:18 AM   #896
Mr. Magoo
n/a

Oddometer: 4,946
Thanks for the updates Deadly. I'm liking RG more and more. What a character! Have a good day!
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:22 AM   #897
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek

Oddometer: 2,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post

What a cluster muck
Still better than being locked up at a key board ...f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5

Your doing great, don't let the oganizers get to you guys..... a quick vid of the RG show should lighten things up....
shipwrek12001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:24 AM   #898
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,149
Quote:
Not nearly on the same level but I used to tune for a race team and we were sponsored by a soda company. There would be cans of it everywhere and I know for a fact that one of the riders drank some yellow gatorade in the can. It was filled by a team member and he would drink it on the podium, garage, pits, etc. It "looked" like the soda though so no one bitched.
Also in the 80's a major road race team was sponsored by an oil sponsor, they used a different oil that was poured into the bottle.
My guess is it is the same about the RedBull, but we will never know, because the people who do know won't tell for many years.
RichBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:05 AM   #899
bumblebee1
All bikes are dirt bikes

Oddometer: 1,431
Red Bull

A cute promotion blonde with biggins once gave me a small cup of that stuff. I must say, it's an acquired taste.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:23 AM   #900
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Oddometer: 1,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee1 View Post
A cute promotion blonde with biggins once gave me a small cup of that stuff. I must say, it's an acquired taste.
I have had no trouble aquiring that taste.... oh wait, you were talking about the red bull