Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:07 AM   #92
lastplace
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post

I love it that they have brought back the marathon stage.
Yes, me too. Marathon stages add another facet to the challenge for the teams. A few of us have suggested to the ASO that marathons would bring back some of the endurance factor, and that the race in South America was becoming a bit like a series of daily sprint races tacked together. Maybe they listened. More likely they thought it would make good TV.

Had there been a true marathon day in the past several years, one high profile new factory team would not have had a rider on the podium.

Another thing that I miss is the long, challenging, off-road assistance routes from the African Dakar. Many assistance vehicles would not make it, or would get in very late at night. So, riders had to be very careful to pack the right essentials in their airplane box, and to try to bring the bike through each Stage without destroying it. So far in South America, the assistance routes have been nearly all on pavement. Most trucks are in and set up before dark. Maybe we'll see some assistance challenges this year? I'm sure you'll let us know, Ted.

Your home for much of January:

fun fun
Charlie
Attached Images

lastplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:03 AM   #93
Region Riley
rally kit widow

Oddometer: 3,437
Fantastic start Deadly! I'll be watching this thread very closely, Ned is my neighbor and my husband c.vestal (Chris) has helped him with the bike build. We were both supposed to go and follow the race, but I couldn't get the time off of work.

Your wife is a smart lady and we owe her a huge thank you!

Region Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:27 AM   #94
vander
full-time dreamer

Oddometer: 914
Jordi Arcarons out of Dakar 2012.

He has signed as new general manager for Bordone Ferrari Racing Team.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:08 AM   #95
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,734
Excerpt from Chapter Two

The writing is coming along. Thanks to everyone for their interest in this project, we're about five weeks away from the beginning of the race and I'm very stoked to get down south, meet the team and play my small part in helping the racers getting to the finish line

Excerpt from Chapter Two - The Team

The third racer on the team is Bill Conger. I had met Bill in 2009 at the Sandblast Rally in South Carolina. I was standing in line waiting to register when this unassuming fellow approaches me and exchanges pleasantries. He came across as a real nice person and I wrongly assumed he was in the same situation as I was, nervous and wondering what I was doing there. This was not the case but it showed to me what a stand up guy he is. I subsequently finished dead last and Bill finished first, I suppose this speaks volumes to Bill being a racer while I am on the support team. Bill is an instructor with BMW, teaching motorcycle skills and he is a very fast and skilled rider. He regularly races in the Rally Moto circuit and often places in first with the rest of the pack far behind him. Finding out that Bill was the third racer on the team was more great news.
During a conversation with Charlie I asked if he knew Bill and if he did what strengths he thought Bill had that would help him out for a successful Dakar. Charlie had this to say “Bill has also been asking for info for a few years, he is much quieter and more reserved than Ned. Jonah met him at the Sandblast Rally back East and Bill beat Jonah by a few seconds. Bill is a legitimate fast guy. He came out to our Rally School last spring and learned a lot about desert racing and navigation. Since he comes from the land of trees and dirt, he won't be as comfortable in the open desert as the West coast guys, but he is a motorsports professional and he is taking this thing very seriously. We all know that Bill's weakest link is the Husky bike (wink). If Bill’s bike holds together I think he will do fine“.
I’ve had the chance to talk with Bill over the phone and he comes across as a friendly and determined person. When asked about his intentions for the race and if he has any concerns going into the race, Bill had this to say “I've got a racers spirit but the reality is that finishing is the main focus. I believe in myself, my riding ability and my mental strength, the bike is my main concern”. Bill will be riding a Husqvarna 449 for the race. This caught me by surprise since Bill works with BMW. When I enquired about this I was informed that his original intent was to ride a BMW 450x but when he approached BMW he was informed that they could not provide or support that model as it is no longer in production. BMW has recently teamed up with Husqvarna and they suggested he approach them, one thing led to another and the people at Husky were keen to get involved and provided Bill with three bikes with the condition that two of them get returned after the race.
While talking to Bill in late November he was busy working on his bike. This came as a bit of a surprise as most competitors have already shipped their bikes and gear down to South America. I mentioned it seems like he may be cutting it a bit close with his bike preparation and Bill said “My bike is due to arrive in Mar Del Plata on Dec 26th, it leaves the US on December 15th. I had originally planned on shipping the bike to France, then I planned to ship it with Mike Stanfeilds container (with Ned’s bike) but time restraints have prevented this, I did ship my spares with Mikes container though”. Bills bikes were due to arrive in June but were delayed until September, this doesn’t leave a lot of time to prepare a bike for a race like the Dakar. The model of bike Bill is riding does not have bolt on rally kit for it so he is left to make new parts or modify parts from other bikes to fit it. With a group of friends, some of who are fabricators, Bill has adapted a Safari gas tank to fit on his bike. His front fairing and navigation tower were provided by Touratech and have been modified to fit. The skid plate and rear auxiliary gas tanks are custom fabricated with the help of some of his friends. Bill informs me that his main concern with the rally is using an unproven bike. Charlie and Robb have given Bill some advice to bring every spare part he can due to the uniqueness of his bike. Bill has dismantled and packed an entire spare bike (minus the plastics) and has had it shipped south where it will be loaded onto the RPA support truck.
I was curious what made Bill want to race in the Dakar and what training he has taken to get to the start line. Bill informs me that he has a background in car racing and when he first saw images from the Dakar that he always thought he would attempt it in the car class. In 2003 Bill got his first dirt bike, got serious about riding in 2005 and entered his first race in 2008. As already mentioned, Bill is a fast rider and his entries in the RallyMoto races along the east coast of the US have proved this as he typically places first. I asked Bill what his experience is in regards to dunes and sandy conditions and he had this to say “In April of this year I rode my first dunes in Dumont, California with Charlie and his rally training course, these are the only dunes I've had a chance to ride. I wouldn’t say I have mastered them but I found it easier than I had thought they would be; this may be because I am used to riding a big GS in the sand. I have since been practicing near the Sand Hills state OHV trails north of where I live. My daily schedule includes riding three hours without stopping, these trails are narrow deep sandy ATV trails that are full of ruts”.
From what I have seen and heard about Bill’s riding ability I am sure that he is fully up to the challenge of the Dakar. The ASO have placed him right at the back of the starting order. Riders near the back leave in pairs and Bill is set to be in the absolutely last pair to leave, this puts him at a bit of a disadvantage as he’ll have a lot of riders to pass in order to work his way up to a better starting place. Being the last person to start means the route will be beat up, there will be more dust to contend with and you have a better chance of the cars and trucks catching up to you. Bill addressed this issue and informed me his goal is to move up the pack as quickly as possible in the first few days.

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Deadly99 screwed with this post 11-22-2011 at 06:18 AM
Old 11-22-2011, 09:01 AM   #96
barrier
Says who?

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
From what I have seen and heard about Bill’s riding ability I am sure that he is fully up to the challenge of the Dakar. The ASO have placed him right at the back of the starting order. Riders near the back leave in pairs and Bill is set to be in the absolutely last pair to leave, this puts him at a bit of a disadvantage as he’ll have a lot of riders to pass in order to work his way up to a better starting place. Being the last person to start means the route will be beat up, there will be more dust to contend with and you have a better chance of the cars and trucks catching up to you. Bill addressed this issue and informed me his goal is to move up the pack as quickly as possible in the first few days.
Hey Deadly, excellent read so far.......You never know with ASO.....With the first stage being relatively short and a bit of a spectator event they may reverse the order and have Bill leave the start ramp in the first pair. That would be a result and something for you to write about! Hell! If he gets a clean run and then the course gets really cut up by the mid field riders, he could win the stage!
Old 11-22-2011, 09:46 AM   #97
bajaboundmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 607
Quote:
looks like three nights for us in the Copiapo bivouac. Should make for a bit of a break for us in regards to driving, setting up and tearing down camp, etc
That's the home town of Hermanos Prohens, the bros that just raced one of my bikes at the Baja 1000. They are happy Copiapo is the rest day.
Speaking of marathon stages... the more of those the better for country boy Jonah!
bajaboundmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:35 PM   #98
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,388
Deadly,

You are one lucky man !

I had a big off on a big 5 years ago and finally agreed my insurance payout earlier this year. Just before I went on holiday for 2 weeks. But before I went my wife said some of the cash should be spent on one of those 'once on a lifetime' trips.........

Anyway I got back from my holiday to see the postings and messages about this trip here only to be too late....................

I'm not jealous - honest !!

Count me in for a copy of the book - and have a great time

www.bikersjersey.com for all your KTM parts
A 2,400 KM ride around Egypt by Scooter - ride report here
pebble35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:44 PM   #99
Dread Pendragon
Slartibartfast

Oddometer: 2,197
Ted, I'm afraid they've misled you about your role on the team. They'll get you down there and "suddenly" decide that they need you to drive a 2nd support vehicle, a 1977 modified black Pontiac Firebird Trans Am (that's where the "Am" from Rally PanAm comes from).

Then when the the policia (Spanish for "Smokey") are about to pull over RallyPanAm's Ford to extort money from the crew, they'll have you drive by, deliberately provoking the policia into chasing you instead.

Sorry, man, it's the Dakar. You've got to do what you've got to do.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:06 PM   #100
Scottyridewhere?
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
RMS and tales from the Biouvac

Looking forward to reading all about the adventure, Charlie! And if I don't end up on the list for a copy when it gets published, I will beat Evan over the head with his own camera until he produces one! (fair payment will be given)

Best of fortunes to all of you who are going to be down there in 2012, I'll be trying to keep up on team F5!

cheers,
Scott
Vancouver BC, Canada
Scottyridewhere? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:28 PM   #101
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,990
Quote:
Hi Neil, never heard back from you about that beer in TO
Yeah Im sorry about that Ted - Pesky job got in the way big time on the last trip!!

Dont worry, we will DEFINITELY have a beer in Lima, and I will be your GO-TO guy in Peru, chasing the rally from Arica on my trusty 800GS, camera in hand. The big question is: Will you be able to sneak us into the bivouac one night? I'll bring wire cutters just in case

We can also have a another catch up beer in TO in Late January if youre back by then!
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 04:34 AM   #102
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,734
Quote:
Yeah Im sorry about that Ted - Pesky job got in the way big time on the last trip!!

Dont worry, we will DEFINITELY have a beer in Lima, and I will be your GO-TO guy in Peru, chasing the rally from Arica on my trusty 800GS, camera in hand. The big question is: Will you be able to sneak us into the bivouac one night? I'll bring wire cutters just in case

We can also have a another catch up beer in TO in Late January if youre back by then!
Only if you have mustache and carry a spare tire with ya

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Old 11-23-2011, 04:51 AM   #103
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

I'll have to grow one again in that case
Old 11-23-2011, 07:27 AM   #104
schattat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,408
Quote:
I'll have to grow one again in that case
Didn't you take part in "Movember"?

Yamaha WR450F Rallye Spec
schattat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:29 AM   #105
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by schattat View Post
Didn't you take part in "Movember"?
Nope, that is some strange northern hemisphere cult thing.

We shave our heads for cancer every year.