User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2014, 02:17 PM   #1
stripple OP
Runnin' Hard

Oddometer: 588
K12GT or C14?

I have decided that it's time for me to have a larger ST bike. I have been traveling from Portland area to Pendleton (250 miles) nearly every weekend for family reasons, and it's time for me to get a bike more suited to distance work.

This weekend, a generous friend of mine suggested that I take his BMW K1200GT for the weekend and have an extended test ride. I currently have 2 BMW cars (335i sedan/M3 coupe) and I really love the design ethos of BMW. I also spend a small fortune on maintaining the cars and I don't look forward to another expensive Bavarian living in the garage.

I have yet to spend enough time on a C14, but I have heard great things. I did get to ride one for a short time, but I didn't really come away with enough information to get a strong impression.

I really, really enjoy the K12GT. I think that it handles quite nicely for a bike it's size. Those of you who have experience on both, what are your opinions on the handling characteristics of the two? I know the C14 has plenty of go, but does it handle as well as the German? Is it in the same league?

I know that the answer is "go ride one". I plan on it, but I thought that I'd pick the brains of all the experts here first. Thanks in advance, inmates!
Old 06-01-2014, 02:52 PM   #2
stripple OP
Runnin' Hard

I forgot to mention that the bike my generous friend loaned me for the weekend is a 2008. So, the second generation K1200GT, I think...
Old 06-01-2014, 03:02 PM   #3
BMWDavid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Yamaha FJR1300...
'14 Yamaha FJR1300ES
BMWDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 03:35 PM   #4
stripple OP
Runnin' Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDavid View Post
Yamaha FJR1300...

Hahaha. I have spent a bit of time on the FJR. It isn't the bike for me. Certainly a fine motorcycle, but not for me. I haven't tried the 2013, it's out of my price range anyway.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:54 PM   #5
Colorado_Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 1,026
The FJR and C14 are very similar. How could you dislike one and want to own the other?
Colorado_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:52 AM   #6
TCAdventure
Sport Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
K12GT or C14?

I have had both. Currently have a C14. Love both bikes. K1200GT was more comfortable (from the factory) for me. Both have plenty of steam. I like the looks and reliability of the C14 better. However, I had to raise the bars and lower the pegs to make it workable for distance. Now 5-700 mile days are doable. Even did 1,000 one day and still felt pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2003 WR450F (plated), 2009 DR650,
2012 Super Tenere, 2012 Concours C14

TCAdventure screwed with this post 06-02-2014 at 03:53 AM Reason: spelling
TCAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:38 AM   #7
bobw
Harden the phuck up

Oddometer: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_Rider View Post
The FJR and C14 are very similar. How could you dislike one and want to own the other?
You want a logical answer to why we like one bike over another???????

O.P. Not to sound sacrilegious, but as much as I wanted a (2nd gen) K 1200 or K 1300 in my stable (love R bikes), there were just too many issues that even BMW admitted their Q.C. had slipped to a low/high point around 2008.

They are an amazing motorcycle in fit, performance and features and those qualities tempt me at least once a year when a smoking deal comes along,,,,, then I keep in mind the issues that have mostly, kinda sorta been addressed by new a cam chain tension er, and chain guides and clutch design and, and, and,,, There are many reasons they went to the 1600.

That said, when they're good they're great and buying something you don't really want will guarantee you don't enjoy it, but the Kawasaki and Yamaha ST bikes are fantastic, the newer the better.

Cheers
bobw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:12 AM   #8
hyena
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 696
I've ridden the K1200GT, the K1300GT, and the Concours. Which one do I think rode the best? The K1300GT. Would I buy one? Not a prayer. From my perspective as a 34 year BMW owner - get the Concours. Way too many expensive quality and reliability issues with the BMW's. I don't know if you're looking new or used, but a 2008-09 Connie can be had very reasonably. Also, for what it's worth, all the motorcycle magazines used to do direct comparison tests between the BMW and Concours, and if memory is correct nearly every time they picked the Concours. If I were to buy one, handlebar risers and peg lowering would be first ont he purchase list. The one I rode was a 2008. It was not a warm day, but within a mile I could feel the heat pouring off on my thigh. I believe they improved that in 2010.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:31 AM   #9
LoneTraveler
Captain Zoomtastic

Oddometer: 439
I have a 2012 Concours 14. I've ridden this bike almost 22k miles in the past 15 months and it has been a dream to own and ride. Maintenance is cheap, and the power is mind-blowing.

If you get a chance to take one for a good long ride, I highly recommend it. Only suggestion would be to ditch the stock Bridgestone tyres for some Angel GTs or PR3s. Otherwise, fantastic machine, and I cannot say enough good things about it.

SuperTour 1
LoneTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:46 AM   #10
USMC_Engineer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
More sporty = Connie

More touring = k12gt

I've owned a 2012 connie14 and I regret selling it. I did the risers and wedges, and a low Corbin seat with nosejob and I could ride that bike anywhere.

I did test ride a k12gt (and a k16 same day) and mind you this was after I sold my c14 and owned a 2013 GSA. My honest opinion is the k12 was nice, good wind protection, handled ok, breaks were ok, but it felt like I was driving my GSA, obviously same motor... But if I were to get another sport tourer I'd want something with more power than a tractor like GSA.

just my opinion.

Oh and the k16, yeah the motor was fast n smooth, but I hated the seating position, the radio was terrible, and the dash layout was way to complicated.

My vote is for the c-14. Like I said I regret selling mine. She's a little heavy but I could tear up the country roads with it.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:54 AM   #11
olie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCAdventure View Post
I have had both. Currently have a C14. Love both bikes. K1200GT was more comfortable (from the factory) for me. Both have plenty of steam. I like the looks and reliability of the C14 better. However, I had to raise the bars and lower the pegs to make it workable for distance. Now 5-700 mile days are doable. Even did 1,000 one day and still felt pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We have the same bike selections... C14 and Tenere. Good taste!
Akrapovic, Givi W'shield, Kappa saddlebags...
11 Vette, unmolested...
olie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:02 AM   #12
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC_Engineer View Post
More sporty = Connie

More touring = k12gt

I did test ride a k12gt (and a k16 same day) and mind you this was after I sold my c14 and owned a 2013 GSA. My honest opinion is the k12 was nice, good wind protection, handled ok, breaks were ok, but it felt like I was driving my GSA, obviously same motor... But if I were to get another sport tourer I'd want something with more power than a tractor like GSA.
The K13/K13 has the wedge 4 with around 160hp. Very different engine than a GSA. I rented one for a week and the power was addictive! Maybe you rode an R1200RT?

I decided to pass on the K12/K13 due to the QA issues (the one I rented broke down) which led me to C14 or FJR. I got a deal on an FJR from a friend and am pretty happy with it.

In your selection, C14 or K12, I'd go with the C14.

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron

Mr. Canoehead screwed with this post 06-02-2014 at 08:11 AM
Mr. Canoehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:16 AM   #13
USMC_Engineer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canoehead View Post
The K13/K13 has the wedge 4 with around 160hp. Very different engine than a GSA. I rented one for a week and the power was addictive! Maybe you rode an R1200RT?

I stand corrected. It was the R1200RT that I was referring to in my comparison, Sorry. I have never ridden a k1200gt...

I have test riden a k1300 (loved it!) quick shifters rock, and yes the power is unreal, I'd say the k1300 with the sport panniers would make it a formidable contender, very fast and smooth bike. I almost traded my GSA in for one.

For the price differnece if that matters I'd say still go for the Connie, if money was no issue and you wanted more sporty ride, k1300

Then I rode a 1000rr, now that is a sick bike... All sport, not much tour there.

Sorry for the confusion in my last post....
Old 06-02-2014, 08:38 AM   #14
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneTraveler View Post
I have a 2012 Concours 14. I've ridden this bike almost 22k miles in the past 15 months and it has been a dream to own and ride. Maintenance is cheap, and the power is mind-blowing.
Have you done a valve check/adjustment?
I seem to remember reading that it was a royal pita, but maybe I'm misremembering.
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:48 AM   #15
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobiker View Post
Have you done a valve check/adjustment?
I seem to remember reading that it was a royal pita, but maybe I'm misremembering.
There was a huge kerfuffle on the C14 forums when one of the magazines (Rider?) suggested that nobody really does a valve adjust on a C14, they just park the bike out back for the day and then charge you $1,000. It is about 2 hours work just to remove and replace the plastic.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=435765

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron

Mr. Canoehead screwed with this post 06-02-2014 at 08:57 AM
Mr. Canoehead is online now   Reply With Quote