Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2014, 09:22 AM   #1
Spina OP
wannabe motorcyclist

Oddometer: 82
Protective jeans - Lindstrands, Resungence or Bull-it?

Hi! I know that there are a lot of post about this topic, but I have specific questions about three products.
I was searching some jeans to use in city riding, going out in the evenings and walking off the bike if I'm going to visit something.

1. Lindstrands Wrap. The antiabrasion material is proven to work and by what I read it seems comfortable.
However, the hi-art is only placed in patches in the most exposed zones. It should be enough but you never know...
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-v...o/IMG_1771.JPG
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/Z7...Y9YRVzdtx9faE8

2. Resungence Gear Pekev jeans. They look good, the pekev cover the entire jeans and the material seems strong, at least that what they say, I didn't see testing data or crash report. The CE protection here, on the other hand, seems like a joke, especially for the 250$ price. I read a review on webbikeworld and they seems comfortable. However, I would like a review from someone here who have used them, how hot or cool they are etc...
I never used a kevlar ( or kevlar-like ) jeans so I don't know what to expect!

3. Bull-it jeans. I know they make a CE Level 2 certified jeans, but I read that they are really hot and uncomfortable. However, they also make a less protective jeans, the laser 4
The coverage of the Covec protective layer would be good enough for me, but I couldn't find ANY review of them online. http://www.bull-it.com/products/covec-laser/indy/. I would like to know how they perform walking off the bike and with higher temperatures. I wrote two emails to bull-it but I didn't have an answer, this really doesn't inspire a lot of trust..

I would try them before buying, but here in Italy shops don't sell the Resungence and the Bull-it. So, I'm asking for opinions of whoever have tried them! I only looked for these three jeans because I would like to avoid kevlar and these materials seems a interesting concept ( no degrading because of moisture for example ).
Thanks!

Spina screwed with this post 01-14-2014 at 02:37 PM
Spina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:46 PM   #2
mwhite5471
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Not any of these and much more $$$...but if anyone has some ROKKERs I would also be interested in hot / comfy feedback.
mwhite5471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 05:40 PM   #3
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhite5471 View Post
Not any of these and much more $$$...but if anyone has some ROKKERs I would also be interested in hot / comfy feedback.
Just posted
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:54 PM   #4
Recreateme
One Among the Fence

Oddometer: 71
I am in the market for jeans as well, but they all seem to be the 'classic' style of jeans your father would wear. They are all very high waisted, and way to baggy for me.

So far the only ones i have really ever considered were Deth Killers http://dethkillers.com/collections/a...t-jeans-indigo

But those Bull-It jeans actually look really good for the price, i think I would rather go for a pair of those Carbon, or Italian slim.. Reviews seem to be mixed from what i found out. Some people hate them because they have never heard of them before, and some people love them because of the price and fit. TBH if the stitching is quality the material seems fine to me, the cheap price is worth the shot.

The laser 4 are supposed to be equivalent to the every standard kevlar jean out there, the 7s are the ones that are supposed to be thicker and more durable, which would explain the heat. The Laser 4s from Royal Distributing here in Canada sell for 130$ CDN, where most other jeans are around 200-300$ USD.. thats a big difference lol
Old 01-14-2014, 10:17 PM   #5
AceRider01
Fully Loaded

Oddometer: 609
well i have Wrap, Draggin C-Evo CE level 1 jean & Bull-It 7 (CE 2) and seen and tried Laser 4 in the shop.

My build is 210lbs, 95kg on 175cm (5,9, i think)- waist in between size of 36/38 (jeans size) -37 waist is perfect but few manufacturers have my size.

So i am not slim but not obsess - say maybe slightly over-weight, but my wife would beg to differ.
--------------
Wrap 38 is a tag loose for walking around but very comfortable on bike without being too baggy- To me it fits like my normal jean with a bit extra room around crotch area. The protection is obviously not enough in coverage terms - but the Hi-Art material is proven ( closer to Safety Suit Level 1 than 2). For me living in sub-tropical warm climate - perfect in summer - you can walk around a bit without breaking a sweat.

Wrap is well made with no exposed stitching on side of jeans and its hi-art material is one piece cross the leg- not 2 pieces sewn together on the side - this is important, IMHO, as you are likely to slide on the side if you low-side- you dont want seams/stitching on the your impact area. This is an important difference - all the other "patch jeans" i have seen have stitching on the outside of the legs for the protective patch - which to be seem silly.

--------------

Draggin C-Evo level 1 Jean: full coverage of Kevlar protection material. Stitching on the side is hidden, which is good - What is not so good to me is that the Kevlar materials on the leg is two pieces sew together on the outside of legs (as well as inside)- This will weaken its ability to protect in a low side situation - but they pass CE 13595 at level 1, so the stitching obviously meet certain standard, but best if they are not there on the impact zone at all.

I am not sure how valid is Bull IT's claim the kevlar deteriorate very quickly and theirs dont. The Jean itself is well made - but the way Draggin design the protector and protector pocket is a straight after-thought - they are terrible in otherwise well made product - you will want to get some proper pockets made for you chosen protector and attach to the jeans.

They are thicker - think wearing a thick jean over tight fitting terry-cloth - They are comfortable to walk around and just acceptably comfortable on bike - In fact they dont look bad off the bike - given it is obviously heavier than your jeans- my wife like it.

They are warm enough to wear in the mild winter we have here without needing to wear anything underneath and is probably acceptable to wear in summer until temp goes over 29c or lower if you are sitting in traffic a lot. probably okay for people to wear in summer in mild temperate climate.

------------

Bull It 7 's protective performance is obviously great - But the rest of it let me down too much for it to be of much use.

Fit: It feels like someone took a normal jean, slightly enlarged its dimension and try to fit an extra 2 thick protective lining underneath plus a comfort liner. I require a size 42 (their sizing, the largest) to barely fit in my normal 38 or less sizing. Once i put the protectors in, it's ridiculously tight - forget it. I am waiting for myself to lose at least 10kg before i even attempt to try again.

Weight of Jeans: - VERY VERY HEAVY - suspender would be required unless you are a woman with wide hip to hold it up...

IT'S not a summer jean unless your temp never exceeds 25c and it's always cloudy (sun will bake u otherwise) and you are on a constant move.

They would probably look very good if you are skinly leg, has flat tummy and dont walk around much in it. Still weight and heat could be an issue.

The protective material are also sewn together on the outside of leg.
--------------
AceRider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:54 AM   #6
Spina OP
wannabe motorcyclist

Thanks! I really hoped in an answer by you acerider!
You also said that you tried the laser 4 in the shop, mind if I ask how did they feel?
Are more similar to the covec7 or voloce, or are they more lightweight and cool?
The material is less resistant so I would expect it to be more comfortable and usable for walking and in the heat.
Could you say something about them?

Thanks again! : )
Old 01-15-2014, 12:00 PM   #7
Domiken
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 642
Check out our Lean Angle Jeans vendor thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...an+angle+jeans

If you have any questions feel free to reach out.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:34 PM   #8
AceRider01
Fully Loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spina View Post
Thanks! I really hoped in an answer by you acerider!
You also said that you tried the laser 4 in the shop, mind if I ask how did they feel?
Are more similar to the covec7 or voloce, or are they more lightweight and cool?
The material is less resistant so I would expect it to be more comfortable and usable for walking and in the heat.
Could you say something about them?

Thanks again! : )
Laser 4 material as seen in Australia is very thin material - i am not sure what its protective quality is - which is not to say it's not good, just not sure - asfaik, it's a different finish/material to either of the 2 protective layers used in Volce (which is a knitted / terry cotton type similar in feel to ones deployed by Draggin and Halvarsson). The best i can give in description terms is that, the feel and weight of material is very similar to thin woven kevlar materials used in Hornee and/or Sartso Jeans.

Again this is some observation rather than anything scientific:

Draggin C-Evo passed the CE test 13595 @ level 1 using a single layer of their version "unobtanium" knitted kevlar.

Halvarsson pass CE test @ level 1 using a single layer of their Hi-art material, which is also knitted in construction (not sure if it is also kevlar but does feel like it); and it passed level 2 using a single layer of the Hi-art which has a thicker thread .

Bull-It Velco passed the test @level 2 using Covec 7 material in 2 layers, again "knitted" in construction.

Satso and Hornee jeans - results published by Draggin which seems to be conducted by same lab that pass their C-EVO suggest woven kevlar lining gets no more than 2 sec under methods prescribed in EN13595-1.

I dont know whether conclusion can be drawn the woven construction is never to going to get close to knitted in construction of similar underlying materials in abrasion resistance aspect.

You have to make a decision as far as summer jean is concerned as to whether it is better to have protective patches made out knitted kevlar/hi-art covering the important parts or woven protective material covering a more substantial part of the pants.

Laser 4 jean certain look more like a jean for the summer and look a lot more a normal jean. if heat is not an issue, i would vote for Draggin C-Evo too in the look department - it's like a 501 with a higher back, but the colour is slightly old fashioned.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:27 PM   #9
AceRider01
Fully Loaded

My local shop called me and told me the Draggin Holeshot is here - they knew i like checking things like that out. I am quite astonished by it - Holeshot seemed no thicker than Draggin C-Evo but pass level 2 instead level 1 on CE tests. I am waiting on manufacturers to send me some reports before posting my thoughts. This means you can use it for more months in the year.

I also looked at the Bull It jeans with laser 4 in the shop - the lining is a thin woven material and should be quite breathable as you can stretch a bit see light through it. They had a test chart in the shop which show Bull It jean with the laser 4 lining achieve 2.3(or 2.7) sec before failing the abrasion test under CE 13595-2, which makes it the next best thing to Draggin C EVO and better than Satso and Hornee jeans. I am reluctant to trust their statement about its material not deteriorating because they all do - how much better in handling deterioration compare to kevlar and similar - would know until someone can produce some independent test.

If you have kevlar or similar materials, just ensure you never use fabric softener and never hang it with kevlar exposed to UV.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:51 AM   #10
Spina OP
wannabe motorcyclist

On the bull-it site the laser4 fabric is said to be tested to meet ce1 level1 requirements. 2.3 ( or 2.7 ) seconds isn't enough to meet them, it could have been nice by bull-it to put the test result online...Because they were so clever to built a ce approved jeans, I believed the statement about the laser4 but I don't know what to think

For the heat, as I said, I was searching for something to walk in, so we're not speaking about airflow ( I don't want to walk that fast! ), and I know that safety requires some sacrifice.
I don't like cope well with hot temperatures actually, but legs are less problematic than upper body when speaking of heat.
And I surely don't want to complain about heat with someone who lives in Australia!
I'll try to find a something that is the right compromise for ME between safety
and comfort...
Your post was pretty detailed and helpful, thanks! : )

By the way, resurgencegear answered me that pekev is breathable, but I think that it's problably the same as a full covering kevlar lining, at least looking at the photos..
Old 01-16-2014, 02:33 PM   #11
Recreateme
One Among the Fence

Oddometer: 71
I have seen something somewhere about the bull-it jeans and the testing results... I am pretty sure its out there.

Recreateme screwed with this post 01-16-2014 at 05:25 PM
Recreateme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:38 AM   #12
AceRider01
Fully Loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recreateme View Post
I have seen something somewhere about the bull-it jeans and the testing results... I am pretty sure its out there.
yes Voloce is out there but i havent seen laser 4's purported level 1 test result.

apparently Draggin send its own C-Evo to SATA for level 1 certification and a whole bunch of competitor's items for abrasion test only (for their marketing purpose obviously)
Old 03-17-2014, 05:59 PM   #13
Rider1000
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Resurgence gear-pekev

I got my RESURGENCE GEAR-PEKEV technology lined jeans from BMW toronto.Did my research before buying it.I am also not a fan of traditional kevlar lined jeans simply because it doesnot serve the purpose.The PEKEV lining is tested at TUV rehinland germany which is a CE accredited lab and report can be seen on their web site.These are perhaps the most balanced of all the CE rated jeans.I say so simply because being fully lined and with this light weight you can walk on or off the bike pretty easily.
Denim is in comfort stretch and that makes it well fitted jeans. If the abrasion resistance level, well and truly meets the standards like they claim I would rather rate them as a top product.Simply because it has an edge of light weight,breathable and comfy unlike Bullit or Draggin. As their CE rated jeans, are not wearable.
Rider1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:23 PM   #14
AceRider01
Fully Loaded

Resurgence Gear PEKEV Jeans seem to hold very good promise - apparently the sample material they sent lasted 23.2s on abrasion testing done according to EN13595-2.

It doesnt mean the whole pants has passed EN13595 and i would personally like to see what the rest of the report says...

Rider1000, if you have a pair, would you mind finding out the weight of jeans without any protectors. And also can you have a look of the protective liners only (not denim) and see whether they are sewn together on the inside of legs only or inside and outside. Subjective comments on fit and weight of jeans when on bike and walking around would be appreciated too.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:21 PM   #15
Rider1000
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceRider01 View Post
Resurgence Gear PEKEV Jeans seem to hold very good promise - apparently the sample material they sent lasted 23.2s on abrasion testing done according to EN13595-2.

It doesnt mean the whole pants has passed EN13595 and i would personally like to see what the rest of the report says...

Rider1000, if you have a pair, would you mind finding out the weight of jeans without any protectors. And also can you have a look of the protective liners only (not denim) and see whether they are sewn together on the inside of legs only or inside and outside. Subjective comments on fit and weight of jeans when on bike and walking around would be appreciated too.
Sorry, I was not available for a few days.Its quite some time now with these jeans:

1-Weight of the Jeans is about 1.2 kg appx.and being fully lined i think is really good. Infact I tried bull it and Draggin CE certified jeans and the biggest reason not to go for those jeans was simply those were way too heavy.

2-I have checked the PEKEV linning is sewn on both side seams and still feels like a single layer.Dont know how have they done it.But have no problem in walking off the bike.The lining is very well fitted with outer shell of denim

3-Fitting is my favorite part.The day I received these jeans I didnot went for a ride for some reason and put these jeans on for quite some hours due to its pleasurable fitting. Didnot drag to test and never even want to....
But honestly speaking its a well judged product within this price.

I think its about time when technology has really started to serve bikers now.RESURGENCE GEAR is a good name among some top rated jeans in Canada.These are available in all big stores all over canada now.
Rider1000 is offline   Reply With Quote