Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2012, 10:28 AM   #136
Texcollect
Adventurer wannabe

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by soyanarchisto View Post
To be clear, are you saying that you use the westone earbuds with a helmet liner and they work fine?
I wore these with a helmet liner. I believe that they are a similar design to the Westones. The liner lets the helmet sllip over the ears without disturbing the earphones.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:13 PM   #137
Nut Clutch
was Steve Lavigne

Oddometer: 429
Fawk. I lost my er6i 10 days ago... Bought some cheapies at a drugstore, but I need something better. How I wish I could just buy another set of new er6i headphones.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:06 PM   #138
Cataract2
Where to?

Oddometer: 1,379
Well, just want to chime in. I got a set of the hf5 and will say that they fit comfortably under the helmet and the sound is extremely good.
Cataract2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:17 PM   #139
sonic578
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
Has anyone tried these for riding?

http://www.etymotic.com/hp/hd15.html
Old 06-21-2012, 09:15 AM   #140
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic578 View Post
Has anyone tried these for riding?

http://www.etymotic.com/hp/hd15.html
Those don't sound like a good fit for motorcycles - from what I read, they are for construction workers, etc where they are exposed to short burst of loud noises - kind of like automatic welder's goggles for your ears. I that situation, regular plugs are never in when you need them, so I think the idea is to leave these in all the time and they will protect your ears if and when required.

I guess they might be useful for riding around town where you want to hear at low speeds but get the noise cut at higher speeds. They are also $$$$$ - almost as much as Shure 535's!

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron

Mr. Canoehead screwed with this post 06-21-2012 at 09:25 AM
Mr. Canoehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:17 PM   #141
sonic578
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canoehead View Post
Those don't sound like a good fit for motorcycles - from what I read, they are for construction workers, etc where they are exposed to short burst of loud noises - kind of like automatic welder's goggles for your ears. I that situation, regular plugs are never in when you need them, so I think the idea is to leave these in all the time and they will protect your ears if and when required.

I guess they might be useful for riding around town where you want to hear at low speeds but get the noise cut at higher speeds. They are also $$$$$ - almost as much as Shure 535's!
Actually they seem like they'd be a very good match for us riders given that, like construction workers, we too see a mix of high noise and the need to communicate, or at least be aware of our surroundings, when noise subsides. But, effectiveness probably depends on the activation threshold noise level. Their data indicates max attenuation kicks in when peaks reach around 120 dB. For those wind noise pops, i'd bet that happens quite often. What I like about the idea is being able to chat when stopped, or communicate at a toll booth or a gas stop, all without having to remove both helmet and plugs! Now combine that feature with a bluetooth connection for music, and you've got a winner!

What I don't like of course is the high price... but I'd really like to try out a pair, or hear from someone who has. The crew at Etymotic have always had their act together.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:55 AM   #142
Baroquenride
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
Bumping an old thread. I believed in all the hype of ER6i's until yesterday when I bought a pair of cheap earbuds that have much better bass response. I loved the foam surrounds that I bought for the ER6i and they kept out lots of noise but for my needs my new earbuds work and sound much better and are about $100 cheaper! Once I get pics, I'll be throwing them up for sale.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:29 PM   #143
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by baroquenride View Post
Bumping an old thread. I believed in all the hype of ER6i's until yesterday when I bought a pair of cheap earbuds that have much better bass response. I loved the foam surrounds that I bought for the ER6i and they kept out lots of noise but for my needs my new earbuds work and sound much better and are about $100 cheaper! Once I get pics, I'll be throwing them up for sale.
What brand did you get?
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:55 PM   #144
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by baroquenride View Post

The only thing you're giving up is hearing protection.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:16 PM   #145
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux View Post
The only thing you're giving up is hearing protection.
WHAT.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:58 PM   #146
FlowBee
Just me.

Oddometer: 5,754
I switched to HF5s last March. Mixed bag: the sound isn't as "dynamic" as the ER6is and sounds a bit more flat. I'm sure it's much more accurate, but my ears are used to loudness compensation of music, especially when moving. Even mowing the lawn I prefer a little more high and low end. The ER6is sounded better to my ears because of this. The cords on the HF5s is much thicker than on the ER6is (which was their Achilles heel - BTDT), but works OK on a bike. They also stock out of my ears about a mm more than the ER6is, but again work OK in my helmets.

I also have a pair of $35 Sonys I bought around the same time. They are somewhat brighter, but not as smooth. They also block almost as much sound and the cords are thinner. Much cheaper so they are a decent option.

I miss my ER6is. My wife won't let me have hers.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:10 PM   #147
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,939
I got some Dream Earz. These are AMAZING! I've been waiting a little to do a full review, but wow. They block about as much wind noise as my etymotics did (I could only use those with the pink foam tips), and sound incredible. I got the dual driver version and they are well worth what I paid. These are a massive upgrade from the Big Ears that I also own and have misplaced.

Mitch, the owner, is a drummer. I think he does this as a day job, so response times can take a couple days, but he's a straight up guy that was very patient with me. After having Big Ears, I wanted something that was going to sound great. The Big Ears were pretty good, and fit perfect. I just always felt like if I was going to go to the trouble of customs again, I wanted better sound. These do not disappoint. You have the option of one, two, three or four(!) drivers and can upgrade down the line if you like. These are the real deal.

I love these things. In depth review soon.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:30 PM   #148
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
I got some Dream Earz. These are AMAZING! I've been waiting a little to do a full review, but wow. They block about as much wind noise as my etymotics did (I could only use those with the pink foam tips), and sound incredible. I got the dual driver version and they are well worth what I paid. These are a massive upgrade from the Big Ears that I also own and have misplaced.

Mitch, the owner, is a drummer. I think he does this as a day job, so response times can take a couple days, but he's a straight up guy that was very patient with me. After having Big Ears, I wanted something that was going to sound great. The Big Ears were pretty good, and fit perfect. I just always felt like if I was going to go to the trouble of customs again, I wanted better sound. These do not disappoint. You have the option of one, two, three or four(!) drivers and can upgrade down the line if you like. These are the real deal.

I love these things. In depth review soon.
Looks like they'd be awesome, but damn that price is up there...

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:35 PM   #149
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfman View Post
Ok so I've decided some people just have way too much money.
Someone quote me so he can see my response
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:53 PM   #150
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfman View Post
Yep. They're not cheap for sure. I wore Etymotics for years. Then, I wasn't able to find the only tips that worked for me. Now, they're discontinued. I tried Shure, Westone, cheapies from Best Buy, Etymotic HF5 (that supposedly replaced the ER6i) and a few others. Fit is most important for me under a helmet. Then, comes sound quality. None of the above worked for me under the helmet. If I would've bought the Dream Earz from the beginning I would've saved money. Now, I have a drawer of buds to choose from if I ever decide to make good on the fat tax we pay monthly (YMCA)
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote