User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 09:20 PM   #196
BobPS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Sony DREX61 IP

I just bought Sony DREX61 IP, I use it with my iphone 4.

The sound it produces is nice, but I wish it has more bass. It's still nice though, considering I'm riding a motorcyle. It's good in blocking wind noise, but I can stil hear my surroundings. It's comfortable to be worn under my Arai RX7 RR5 and doesn't cause pain on my ears when I take off my helmet. It comes with 4 size of plugs.The best thing is I still can use iphone's voice over feature with this earphone.
BobPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:42 PM   #197
sonic578
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 725
The more I try to replace my ER6i's the more I appreciate them. Mine are several years old and a couple of trips ago I resorted to some superglue to keep them from leaving the triple-flange tips in my canals after getting sweaty.

I've tried a few cheap replacements, and a couple of the Ety's (mc5 and hf5), but nothing fits like the ER6i's!! I found the barrels on the newer models to be too long and too large in diameter, and cause discomfort. Fortunately the 6's still work, but a bit too much glue has affected fit and comfort, and they are now stiff.

Before I start down the custom mold path, are there any suggestions on smallish alternatives to try? Apparently I have small canals.

TIA
Old 03-22-2013, 11:27 PM   #198
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic578 View Post
The more I try to replace my ER6i's the more I appreciate them. Mine are several years old and a couple of trips ago I resorted to some superglue to keep them from leaving the triple-flange tips in my canals after getting sweaty.
I just threw mine out, the jack/cord quit delivering stereo to the plugs.
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:34 PM   #199
Dooga
Adventure Tourer

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedder View Post
i just threw mine out, the jack/cord quit delivering stereo to the plugs.
rip
Old 03-23-2013, 11:53 PM   #200
toddiscdn
Take off, EH!

Oddometer: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedder View Post
I just threw mine out, the jack/cord quit delivering stereo to the plugs.

Bummer, Thats easily fixed, had to rewire one of mine when it started cutting out.

One of many posts out there on rewiring them.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/239155/rewi...-pics-enclosed
toddiscdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:01 PM   #201
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,863
Quote:
TIA
My ER6i triple flange tips started doing that - but you can still buy the tips:

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6i-acc.html

http://www.earplugstore.com/eteaac.html

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:50 PM   #202
NJ Moto
Running Free

Oddometer: 7,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadester View Post
My ER6i triple flange tips started doing that - but you can still buy the tips:

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6i-acc.html

http://www.earplugstore.com/eteaac.html
The earplugstore tips work great and last a long time with my er-4s. I use the beige color.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuKeu...feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYqF_BtIwAU
"Can we get a party to finally represent us?" - Cenk Uygur
NJ Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:09 PM   #203
Isorg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
my er6i gave up the ghost after 4 years, and 4 7k+ cross country trips with all day comfort.

I might give that rewire link a try, but woot.com was having a woot off and i picked up a pair of "Klipsch Image E1 In-Ear Headphones" for $15... cheep enough to give them a shot.

on the er6i, i ran the tripple flange, but cut off the small flange, fit like a glove!
Isorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:05 PM   #204
John Smallberries OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,247
stringing them along

Quote:

I've tried a few cheap replacements, and a couple of the Ety's (mc5 and hf5), but nothing fits like the ER6i's!! I found the barrels on the newer models to be too long and too large in diameter, and cause discomfort. Fortunately the 6's still work, but a bit too much glue has affected fit and comfort, and they are now stiff.

Before I start down the custom mold path, are there any suggestions on smallish alternatives to try? Apparently I have small canals.

TIA
I use a trick recommended by another inmate to handle pulling them out of my ears: I tie 2-inches of fine fishing line around the ear tips and to a small bead. I can pull the beaded string to get the tips out without pulling the cord. I have also used a bit of Sugru to reinforce the failing strain relief on the plug end. I plan to limp these little guys along for as long as possible.
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:37 PM   #205
sonic578
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smallberries View Post
I use a trick recommended by another inmate to handle pulling them out of my ears: I tie 2-inches of fine fishing line around the ear tips and to a small bead. I can pull the beaded string to get the tips out without pulling the cord. I have also used a bit of Sugru to reinforce the failing strain relief on the plug end. I plan to limp these little guys along for as long as possible.
Good suggestion. I may try it... a little string hanging out of my ears isn't really an issue for me

I wonder why the new Ety's have such large and long barrels? Maybe that was in part an attempt to fix the tips coming off? In any case, I'm with you... treat the 6i's with TLC. Guess I'll try to clean up the excess superglue and put on some new tips.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:02 PM   #206
TonyT607
Mission Accomplished

Oddometer: 378
Shure SE 215's

I just bought a set of SE215's after consulting a couple of threads here and other places. Like many of you I was happy with the ER-6i Isolators having bought a couple of sets over the years. I left the Etymotics in a seatback pocket on a plane a couple of months ago and originally went with the Etymotic ER7-MC3's to replace the 6i's. That was a FAIL. The MC3's stuck out too much and were getting pulled out every time I put my helmet on (Scorpion EXO-1000 and a Shoei X Twelve).

On to the SE 215's: They sound great and fit well. I replaced the standard rubber tips with the supplied squishy foam tips. They were ok but were still susceptible to getting dislodged as I put the helmet on. Solution: I now use an over-the-ears helmet liner which allows the helmet to slip right over my ears and the body of the headphones. I also ordered a set of replacement foam tips from www.complyfoam.com . These are slightly longer and provide a better fit and seal than the originals.

The Shure units are well thought out with thick, heavy duty detachable cables with a stiff bendy section that hooks over your ears.

Review: Two Snaps Up!
'14 428i M Sport xDrive
TonyT607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:29 AM   #207
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,221
Quote:
I just wrapped and tied a few turns of thread around the base of the earbud. I can still pull them off the speaker but they don't come off in my ears anymore.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:00 AM   #208
mwood7800
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
klipsch x10
100 bucks on amazon, I like them better the the er6, better sound isolation and base
mwood7800 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:31 PM   #209
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
I just wrapped and tied a few turns of thread around the base of the earbud. I can still pull them off the speaker but they don't come off in my ears anymore.
I use dental floss. Works a treat.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:26 PM   #210
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwood7800 View Post
klipsch x10
100 bucks on amazon, I like them better the the er6, better sound isolation and base
These?
http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Image-.../dp/B000WAHFBK

They look like they would stick out way too far, and catch on the helmet inside! Do they not?