Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2012, 04:39 PM   #106
Rootkiller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by soyanarchisto View Post
Agreed. The problem I find is that they may seal temporarily. Nothing has retained that seal like the ERs.
I tried a pair also and the isolation is not close to the er6 for me, they sound great though.
Rootkiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:12 PM   #107
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
I got the HF5's in the mail yesterday to replace my old ER6i's. I'll know in about an hour how they compare..
??
Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:58 AM   #108
AndyM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
??

Been wearing the HF5's everyday for a week or two now. They fit fine under my Shoei Multitec with zero interference, which kind of surprises me because they sure look bigger and I wear my helmets snug. Sound is the same as the er6i's. I have to be just a bit more careful inserting them to get a good seal but not hard to get a good seal.
For me the search is over .
AndyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:36 AM   #109
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 2,171
ordered the HF5's, the $94 ones are on order from the manufacturer. We'll see how long it takes.

I've just started using my iPod on the motorcycle, I have a pair of Skullcandy Titans that work well with my bicycle, but I'm having a problem keeping them in my canal when I ride the motorcycle and start to get sweaty. Plus the Titans don't seem to seal out the noise very well, but they were only 30 bones.
PineyMountainRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:02 AM   #110
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimrMoon View Post
They seem to be IMO. They're not like NR33's but for me they do a good enough job of cutting the wind noise.
+1

Thanks for the heads up on these. I bought a couple pairs - one with a mic and one without. They are quite possibly the best 22 bucks I spent on any audio gear - I'm certainly no audiophile but these are outstanding - especially so considering the price. I would say they are the equal of the ER6i's in sound quality (more so if you like bass as I do) and not far behind in terms of cutting wind noise.

Only downside is they can be a PIA to put in but once there, they stay there.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:14 AM   #111
diehli
n00b

Oddometer: 5
I rode around for a month (~8500 miles) with the Shure SE-215s with the black foam tips plugged into my iPhone. Awesome job isolating me from the wind noise in my Bell Star helmet. Didn't even have to have the iPhone turned more than 2/3 of the way up.

A few months after that trip I went on a shorter, ill-fated ride through the PNW. The crash that ended the trip a couple hundred miles from home severed/tore the cord. Ordered a replacement cord and they're good-to-go again.

I got 'em from EarphoneSolutions.com (dunno what the protocol is for posting links here). Don't know if it's still good, but back on February 24th I got a 18% discount code: "leap". In a couple days they might have a St. Patty's code (probably "drunkmick").
Old 03-13-2012, 02:09 PM   #112
moymurfs

Oddometer: 2,177
NOTICE !!
GREEN H5s are 20 bucks off for March/St Patricks. ($59) ..might hafta pick me a couple pairs
http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/mc5-buynow.html
Old 03-18-2012, 02:15 PM   #113
a1atcs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Zagg

ZAGG earbuds have been my latest favorite. They are reasonably priced, have a unique wearing style, and sound great.
IBA #49425
a1atcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:27 PM   #114
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,348
FWIW, I've been using the HF's for a little while. For me and my helmet (ARAI RX-Q) they stick out a little too far. I need to jam them in my ear to the point that after a while they start to hurt. With the ER6's I could put them in far or not far as a ride went on to adjust the canal pressure. The HF's need to be in far all the time. I wear my helmet more snug than most I suspect and the RX-Q doesn't have huge ear pockets so YMMV.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:49 PM   #115
jay956
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by moymurfs View Post
NOTICE !!
GREEN H5s are 20 bucks off for March/St Patricks. ($59) ..might hafta pick me a couple pairs
http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/mc5-buynow.html
Thanks! I decided to try the MC3's, hopefully they work out.

My ER6i's took a swim in the washing machine and didn't make it
Old 03-19-2012, 03:59 PM   #116
officerleroy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Slightly OT, but does anyone else have problems with their er6i's under their Arai XD-3?? I've had them under Vemar, HJC, Shoei, and Suomy helmets with no problems. I'm thinking I might need to cut out some of the cheek pad foam, but I'm very hesitant to do so.

I've got either a size small or extra small helmet, and I believe that particular size comes with 5mm thicker foam than the bigger sizes.

Anyone else? Or is it just a perfect storm cobination of my head, er6i's, and the XD-3?
officerleroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:29 PM   #117
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,489
Quote:
Slightly OT, but does anyone else have problems with their er6i's under their Arai XD-3?? I've had them under Vemar, HJC, Shoei, and Suomy helmets with no problems. I'm thinking I might need to cut out some of the cheek pad foam, but I'm very hesitant to do so.
They work fine in my XD3 (XL). The XD3 fits much more tightly than my Multitec, so they are a bit more difficult to keep in while putting the helmet on but once in the ER-6's work fine. I find that looping the cord around my ear really helps keep them in place while putting the helmet on.

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:29 PM   #118
joefromsf
Dark Happens

Oddometer: 1,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by officerleroy View Post

I've got either a size small or extra small helmet, and I believe that particular size comes with 5mm thicker foam than the bigger sizes.

Anyone else? Or is it just a perfect storm cobination of my head, er6i's, and the XD-3?
Can't speak specifically to the XD-3, but they work fine for me in a regular XD.
joefromsf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:38 PM   #119
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,543
Mine worked fine in my small xd3, alas the plug got hung up getting off the bike.
I called Etymotic and did some more to no avail.
They do have an upgrade program, going to send the old and get some hf5's, better than retail.
Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:47 PM   #120
joefromsf
Dark Happens

Oddometer: 1,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Mine worked fine in my small xd3, alas the plug got hung up getting off the bike.
I called Etymotic and did some more to no avail.
They do have an upgrade program, going to send the old and get some hf5's, better than retail.
What's the details on the upgrade program? My er6i's are getting long in the tooth.
joefromsf is online now   Reply With Quote