ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 02:11 PM   #106
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.
 
cbolling's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Greenville, SC
Oddometer: 2,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by gore-tx View Post
This thread needs more PICS.
Yep!
__________________
2011 Kawasaki Versys

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:03 PM   #107
andoulli
CAJUN
 
andoulli's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Oddometer: 2,114
Ok, so I am close to pulling the trigger on one of these. I need more info before I negotiate. First let me give some more information on me. I have a Triumph Tiger 800 Roadie that I love. Left hand surgery has weakened my hand enough that clutch lever operation is causing pain. Oddly enough long trips are not the problem because most of my long distance trips include highway miles, some interstate, some secondary roads, but not a lot of shifting so my left hand gets enough rest between twisties so I'm ok. My problem is day rides, mostly with my Harley friends, where we seldom go over 70 and usually ride between 60 and 65. These rides include a lot of shifting and my left hand is killing me after 30 minutes. Some of these guys have 6 gallon tanks. I have no problem showing up on a scooter, in fact I like the idea, but I really don't want to ALWAYS be the guy who needs to stop for gas first. So I really need a range of 220 miles to make sure that does not happen. My T800 has the range, but its killing me on the day rides. I want something like the BV 350 that has no clutch, enough speed, range, day trip comfort, priced right because I'm keeping the Triumph and have limited funds for a second bike. So my main concern is range at Harley speeds?
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:23 PM   #108
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.
 
cbolling's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Greenville, SC
Oddometer: 2,704
Simple. Sell the Triumph and get a Honda NC700X with the DCT. No clutch and it will do everything that your Truimph does.
__________________
2011 Kawasaki Versys

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:49 PM   #109
kiznile
Scooter Commuter
 
kiznile's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbolling View Post
Simple. Sell the Triumph and get a Honda NC700X with the DCT. No clutch and it will do everything that your Truimph does.
Agreed, there are plenty of automatic motorcycles out there. I think the NC500X is even going to come with that option
__________________
Kyle Sutherland
'07 BMW F800ST (28,800 miles so far)
-OEM Top Case and Fender delete, Just Right
kiznile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:50 PM   #110
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer
 
gogogordy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Temecula, So. California
Oddometer: 1,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiznile View Post
Agreed, there are plenty of automatic motorcycles out there. I think the NC500X is even going to come with that option

"Plenty" is kinda pushing it....
__________________
Isn't it past your bedtime?
gogogordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:12 AM   #111
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer
 
conchscooter's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Florida Keys
Oddometer: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by gore-tx View Post
This thread needs more PICS.


FIXED!
__________________
http://www.keywestdiary.us

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:44 AM   #112
andoulli
CAJUN
 
andoulli's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Oddometer: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbolling View Post
Simple. Sell the Triumph and get a Honda NC700X with the DCT. No clutch and it will do everything that your Truimph does.
Wow, didn't expect that from the scooter crowd. That is of course an option and I have thought about it. I have talked to my local Honda dealer and they have no plans to put the DCT model on the floor, they will order one if the customer pays up front. I don't really like that dealership and their service dept. On the other hand I have a great relationship with my local BMW, Aprilia, Moto Guzzi, Piaggio dealership. I test rode the C650GT and really liked it and if I was to go the sell the Tiger rout I would consider the BMW but I've read some over at the BMWMOA forum and those owners are talking 45 mpg. Hell my Triumph gets that with 94 hp and a five gallon tank. My darn T800 is farkled up the wazoo, I'd take a hell of a beating if I sold it and I really like it anyway. The dealer I like has an open house on Saturday, may try to wrangle a test ride on a Beverly.

I know there are not a lot of owners yet in this thread, but I still would like to know if the big BV can comfortably manage 200 plus miles on a tank. I'm thinking 70 mpg, 3.4 gallon tank, the numbers are there on paper, not sure about the real world.
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:24 AM   #113
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer
 
Dabears's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Atlanta Burbs
Oddometer: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by andoulli View Post
Wow, didn't expect that from the scooter crowd. That is of course an option and I have thought about it. I have talked to my local Honda dealer and they have no plans to put the DCT model on the floor, they will order one if the customer pays up front. I don't really like that dealership and their service dept. On the other hand I have a great relationship with my local BMW, Aprilia, Moto Guzzi, Piaggio dealership. I test rode the C650GT and really liked it and if I was to go the sell the Tiger rout I would consider the BMW but I've read some over at the BMWMOA forum and those owners are talking 45 mpg. Hell my Triumph gets that with 94 hp and a five gallon tank. My darn T800 is farkled up the wazoo, I'd take a hell of a beating if I sold it and I really like it anyway. The dealer I like has an open house on Saturday, may try to wrangle a test ride on a Beverly.

I know there are not a lot of owners yet in this thread, but I still would like to know if the big BV can comfortably manage 200 plus miles on a tank. I'm thinking 70 mpg, 3.4 gallon tank, the numbers are there on paper, not sure about the real world.
Pop over to www.Modernvespa.com. There are lots of BV350 owners, and quite a few threads about these. You should be able to get any question you want answered just by searching.

Here's one just on fuel range- hope this helps. Scanning the thread it doesn't appear anybody is getting 200 miles from a tank. That's a pretty good range for any motorcycle. About where I fill my R1200gs up...

http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic104586?highlight=
__________________
Dabears

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:40 AM   #114
andoulli
CAJUN
 
andoulli's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Oddometer: 2,114
Thanks Dabears, just the info I was looking for. I see a number of people that fill up at 150 to 160 miles and put 2.4 gallons in. The gallon left in the tank would take them a little over 200 miles. I don't think I would be comfortable with that. One thing I really like about my Triumph is the trip computer and it's miles to empty function, which by most accounts is pretty darn accurate as is the average mpg function. When I have checked that reading on my bike it too is accurate. Anyway back to the BV 350. I read some that pushed it to 180 to 190 miles and put something like 2.8 or 2.9 gallons. That again is around 210 to empty. That is very impressive and close to what I want. I don't like pushing past the point that I am comfortable though. I'm still going to try for the demo ride tomorrow.
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:03 AM   #115
Cortez
BAZINGA!
 
Cortez's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Croatia
Oddometer: 6,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by andoulli View Post
Wow, didn't expect that from the scooter crowd.
I went from owning a Kawi 650R.. considering it to be a pain around town
and 2 up in town, getting a 50cc scooter, then a 125cc scooter (along with
the Kawi) to selling everything and buying one, 300cc scooter.

I do miss the shifting (outside of town) and the power, and I figured the
NC700X with DCT would be a perfect mix of everything that I like.

I love the NC700X, but I still feel I'd want at least 10-15hp more.

The Aprilia Mana would be a great choice if it was a bit more reliable
(and cheaper).
__________________
'08 Yamaha FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:46 AM   #116
John Bentall
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: London UK
Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by andoulli View Post
The dealer I like has an open house on Saturday, may try to wrangle a test ride on a Beverly.

I know there are not a lot of owners yet in this thread, but I still would like to know if the big BV can comfortably manage 200 plus miles on a tank. I'm thinking 70 mpg, 3.4 gallon tank, the numbers are there on paper, not sure about the real world.
Before you buy a machine that you do not really want, have you considered the possibility if eliminating the clutch lever?

For example, these folks do a twisting clutch modification http://www.exilecycles.com/index.php?section=37 or you can move the lever to the right bar.
This might work for you http://www.mooseracing.com/products/...oductId=114640

Hope this helps,

John
John Bentall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:54 PM   #117
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer
 
damasovi's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Ensenada, Baja California
Oddometer: 2,608
sounds like a good option

I have always been a pro choice motorcyclist ! here in Mexico we don't have anything (scooters) above 125 cc not anymore since Suzuki drop the Burg 400 and HOnda the silverwing many years ago.

So I am looking at importing one of these Vespa 300, Kymco GT300 or this BV350. I would like the Burgman 400 but it is over my price. Since I have only had HOndas and a Kawasaki I wonder about the cost of ownership about the Piaggios and Vespas, since I will use it pretty much as my commuter and every other week ride (for solo rides). My bikes have need it nothing (only consumables) and I wonder if these are labor intensive (valves every 2000 milles) or something like that.

Since this will not be my only bike/scooter I will not be in trouble for parts to come in (if that was a problem, like some of you have mention with Piagio).

Latter I will go to the dealer that is willing to give me a test drive and funny he is a piaggio/vespa/kymko dealer so maybe all 3 in the same day.

Thanks for the info

Damasovi
__________________
A motorcycle or scooter always turn a bad day into a great time!
KLR 650, Honda Beat scooter!!

damasovi screwed with this post 01-26-2013 at 06:58 PM Reason: added more text
damasovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:05 PM   #118
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer
 
gogogordy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Temecula, So. California
Oddometer: 1,888
Vespa Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi View Post
I have always been a pro choice motorcyclist ! here in Mexico we don't have anything (scooters) above 125 cc not anymore since Suzuki drop the Burg 400 and HOnda the silverwing many years ago.

So I am looking at importing one of these Vespa 300, Kymco GT300 or this BV350. I would like the Burgman 400 but it is over my price. Since I have only had HOndas and a Kawasaki I wonder about the cost of ownership about the Piaggios and Vespas, since I will use it pretty much as my commuter and every other week ride (for solo rides). My bikes have need it nothing (only consumables) and I wonder if these are labor intensive (valves every 2000 milles) or something like that.

Since this will not be my only bike/scooter I will not be in trouble for parts to come in (if that was a problem, like some of you have mention with Piagio).

Latter I will go to the dealer that is willing to give me a test drive and funny he is a piaggio/vespa/kymko dealer so maybe all 3 in the same day.

Thanks for the info

Damasovi
Vespa Motorsports in San Diego can help you out as well, and have more parts IN-Stock than just about anyone else, if you can't source locally. They ship worldwide.

www.scooterwest.com
__________________
Isn't it past your bedtime?
gogogordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:06 PM   #119
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer
 
damasovi's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Ensenada, Baja California
Oddometer: 2,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogogordy View Post
Vespa Motorsports in San Diego can help you out as well, and have more parts IN-Stock than just about anyone else, if you can't source locally. They ship worldwide.

www.scooterwest.com
yes this is the dealer i have been talking to and they are willing to give me a test drive even without a California licenses!

Damasovi
__________________
A motorcycle or scooter always turn a bad day into a great time!
KLR 650, Honda Beat scooter!!
damasovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:47 PM   #120
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer
 
gogogordy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Temecula, So. California
Oddometer: 1,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi View Post
yes this is the dealer i have been talking to and they are willing to give me a test drive even without a California licenses!

Damasovi
Great guys. Ive dealt with them since the '90's.

Yes...the '90's.

I'm warning you about the test drive though....
__________________
Isn't it past your bedtime?
gogogordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014