Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2011, 04:01 AM   #16
Manwell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by argentcorvid View Post
if you are considering doing a fuel mileage comparison, check out Fuelly, it's a website that will let you track mileage and cost per gallon for any vehicle that you own.
The Fuelly site looks interesting, but I'll probably just keep a log on one leg of the trip or the other and see where I'm at. In the near future I'll be checking / adjusting the FI mapping and probably removing the secondary throttle plates and will check for mileage again on a similar ride after that.

Honda - '05 GL1800/A3
V-Strom - '09 DL1000
IBA - 20008
Manwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:05 AM   #17
argentcorvid
Some Guy

Oddometer: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwell View Post
The Fuelly site looks interesting, but I'll probably just keep a log on one leg of the trip or the other and see where I'm at. In the near future I'll be checking / adjusting the FI mapping and probably removing the secondary throttle plates and will check for mileage again on a similar ride after that.
you can do that too. you can write your stuff down in a log book during the trip, and then come back later and upload the data in a .CSV file (that you can make with excel or notepad).
argentcorvid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 05:22 PM   #18
Manwell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Oh well, did over 2000 miles this week and didn't record the first damn thing! Rain and cold on the first leg, didn't feel like dealing with it and then trying to get home today... started with a full tank this morning (just under 11 gal) and only stopped twice for just a tad over 900 miles and had a 1/2 tank left! Good enough fuel mileage for me... I will seriously check it - next time, yeah right!

Honda - '05 GL1800/A3
V-Strom - '09 DL1000
IBA - 20008
Manwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:20 PM   #19
BikeMan OP
smoke, drink, screw, ride

Oddometer: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterW View Post
switching to Iridium plugs cut the difference in mpg.
i'm runing iridium plugs, K&N filter, 2bro's, yosh box fix.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:43 PM   #20
oatie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z View Post
Don't forget the placebo effect. According to Tom and Ray on Car Talk, many of those snake oil fuel mileage devices with magnets and tornadoes in them *do* actually work, but not because the device does anything. It's because the driver, wanting to closely monitor his fuel mileage, drives more carefully.

I'm not discounting the OP's findings, but It's quite possible you used just 2.9% less throttle.

Jamie
Ditto on the placebo effect. Being in medical sales I work with studies all of the time. To be fair you would want to make it more double blind and randomized. (Several tanks and you would not know when it was regular and when it was premium.) Only after the results were tabulated would that be revealed.What you have now is too anecdotal.
oatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:49 PM   #21
opmike
Choosing to be here.

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by oatie View Post
Ditto on the placebo effect. Being in medical sales I work with studies all of the time. To be fair you would want to make it more double blind and randomized. (Several tanks and you would not know when it was regular and when it was premium.) Only after the results were tabulated would that be revealed.What you have now is too anecdotal.
This is the first thing I think whenever I see people posting their fuel mileage comparisons or similar performance gains. No one ever elaborates on their testing methodology, controls, randomization, blinding, error, etc. There would have to be multiple blinded trials in very similar riding conditions (difficult to achieve on the street) to have anything approaching something significant.

Otherwise, I'd be more inclined to think that someone's fuel economy was simply, say, 45 mpg +/- 3%. Any reported increase or decrease could simply be a matter of statistical error.

This isn't a knock against the OP specifically, but these types of claims require something a little more rigorous.
"you want to fix the Pledge of Allegiance, put a disclaimer at the end: with liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states."
opmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:37 PM   #22
jpaige
Adventurer in training

Oddometer: 55
I've found on many long trips I get significantly better mileage on 87 octane.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:47 PM   #23
BikeMan OP

i didnt include the mpg of the transition tank of fuel in the compar-o. so i accually rode a total of 1100 miles for this experiment. http://www.ehow.com/how_4911241_check-gas-mileage.html

Fill ups: i used standard procedure per owner's manual. filled to bottom of filler neck. ! never fill above bottom of the filler neck. overfilling can cause fuel to overflow when it expands due to heat from engine or sun.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:25 PM   #24
Chromer
Not going gentle

Oddometer: 885
There is no "regular" and "premium." There are MANY regulars and premiums, and they're all different.

"There can be even larger differences in heating value between batches of gasoline from the same refinery, between summer and winter volatility classes, or between brands of gasoline from different refineries because of compositional differences." American Petroleum Institute

Getting the most heating value in your gallon is how you get the most miles out of a particular gallon (all else being equal).
Old 12-19-2011, 11:06 AM   #25
NachoRoto
Meet you there. OK?

Oddometer: 5,643
What kind of range are you guys getting on your Dl1000's before hitting reserve? I am thinking about getting one.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:04 PM   #26
BikeMan OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenniSMC View Post
What kind of range are you guys getting on your Dl1000's before hitting reserve? I am thinking about getting one.
using 91 or higher octane, i averaged 40.1 mpg for the year 2011.. or 180 miles before hitting reserve. note: has 5L reserve.

BikeMan screwed with this post 12-19-2011 at 05:21 PM
BikeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:20 PM   #27
NachoRoto
Meet you there. OK?

That's not too bad. The wee gets closer to 300 miles doesn't it?
Old 12-21-2011, 08:14 AM   #28
BikeMan OP

better mpg w/prem fuel

Quote:
That's not too bad. The wee gets closer to 300 miles doesn't it?
i doubt it very much. i heard at hi-way speeds of 85-90mph they only get in mid 30's mpg. which is less than vee.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:01 PM   #29
NachoRoto
Meet you there. OK?

According to my friend he averages around 250 to reserve. And he says he has about a gallon left. And does better if he stays off the interstate. He rides mixed. Fast and slow. He likes to do the big mile days like me.

To make a long story short I am between bikes. I want one of three bikes for now. A KLR, Vee or Wee. I had a KLR and liked it. But I do a lot of 500 mile days. And a bigger bike would probably suit my needs better. But maybe a Wee would split things down the middle. Ultimately I will buy what ever deal come first and best in the spring. My GS got around the same mileage as the Vee. So I can live with it. I would get around 225 on a tank riding into reserve. Where the KLR would hit 280. This will be a transition bike until I work out some issues I am having.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:21 AM   #30
BikeMan OP

Quote:
I do a lot of 500 mile days. And a bigger bike would probably suit my needs better..
no kidding. i would hate doing 500mi. days on any 650. i recently did a 1000mi. 87 vs 93 octane mpg compar-o. and averaged 2.9 more mpg using 93 octane. it works for me. g-luck with your bike and ride safe.