User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2012, 01:32 PM   #46
BikeMan OP
smoke, drink, screw, ride

Oddometer: 254
Thumb

i rode 103.3 miles today x 2.4 US gals. regular automotive grade fuel (93AKI) w/sta-bil ethanol treatment = 43 mpg..

BikeMan screwed with this post 02-01-2012 at 07:28 PM
BikeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:43 AM   #47
BikeMan OP

Here's Your Sign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundfolge View Post
Funny, the lowest I got at interstate speeds was 45.3 mpg (averaged 48.7). I doubt this will prevent you from continuing to spread your misinformation though.This, however, is where you really show that you have no idea what you are talking about.
here's your sign. it works for me. do your own compar-o, you may find out you get better mpg with the higher AKI. my compar-o uses same start & finish points. iow's, not cross country. not that it would make any difference. the last 446 miles, my mpg per fill up averaged 0.16 mpg of each other. yesterday, i rode 155mi. 95% hi-way miles = 44.3 mpg. using regular automotive grade fuel w/AKI of 93 and sta-bil ethanol treatment. g-luck & ride safe.

BikeMan screwed with this post 04-14-2012 at 10:08 AM
BikeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:46 PM   #48
jawmail
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
You don't get higher mileage w/ higher AKI, this has been shown time after time. If it were really that simple don't you think everyone would do it. I have tried it so have lots of other people, and we all come up with the same results, it doesn't work Do you really want to give more of your hard earned money to the Arabs. It's a bike just ride it and stop posting the same thing on multiple forums. If it works for you it must be fact
Old 04-18-2012, 06:26 AM   #49
BikeMan OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawmail View Post
I have tried it so have lots of other people, and we all come up with the same results, it doesn't work
that is weird. works every time for me. maybe ya should update your compar-o. so far this april i'm averaging 46.5 mpg, including last sunday ride all time high mpg of 52.1 on regular automotive grade fuel w/ AKI of 93. Superb !
Old 04-18-2012, 07:32 AM   #50
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeMan View Post
that is weird. works every time for me. maybe ya should update your compar-o. so far this april i'm averaging 46.5 mpg, including last sunday ride all time high mpg of 52.1 on regular automotive grade fuel w/ AKI of 93. Superb !
I'm a bit pissed. Been riding the same slab of asphalt to and from work for the last 7 years. I switched to high test because of this thread. Last two tanks have not only cost me more money, they've given me 2 mpg less fuel economy.

You're a crank.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:40 AM   #51
jawmail
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Join the group, unfortunately that's reality for anyone who tests in an unbiased manner.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:17 AM   #52
BikeMan OP

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by argentcorvid View Post
if you are considering doing a fuel mileage comparison, check out Fuelly,.
thanks for the info.. you can check out my mileage per link below.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:36 AM   #53
Mulewright
Old Fart/Journeyman

Oddometer: 125
I have read this thread with a wistfull grin on my face this morning.
I am a ASE certified Master Mechanic with over 40 years of hands on experience.
On all counts, I've "Been there, Done That".

There are factors involved here that in the great scheme of things, at least with the TL/SV/DL motors are absoulute bullshit (real world) and a few that can & will influence the percieved octane / performance on these bikes.
Instead of doing a extensive & pointless re-hash of previous statements, let me state the "Real World" for you.....

Deposits, outside temps, DO have a PRECIEVED influence in octaine requirements. Deposits & hi temps cause this motor to "Ping" on 87 under load, usually when opening the throttle between 3,700 and 4,800 rpms. Generaly not an issue otherwise.
The dyno tests I've seen for myself do not support the Need for higher octaine fuel... i.e.; no increase in r.w. h.p..

The largest factor at the core of the original posting I have found is the ethinol % content in the fuel, along with regional bulk tank seasonal "Mixes" in the bulk tanks.
The largest, verifiable difference I have found is: 33.46 mpg on "Winter" 10% ethinol 87 oct. v.s. "Real Gas", no ethinol, of 44.8 mpg.
This does not "compute" for Me, but I checked it over 10 tank fulls this last winter... the result being I pay more for the "Straight" gas, and the bike runs substantially better.
Other benifits are easier cold starting and "Cool" running performance.
Why?
Easy, dumb EFI system. (retilitivly speaking).
Due to lack of sensors & brain power, they run that much leaner on "Laced" gas.
Stock, they are WAY lean under 3,500 rpm light throttle anyway.
Another 10% makes the "Pop & Fart O-Gram" (and resultant intake boot blow off) while cold that much worse.
With THAT stated;
It WILL NOT hurt to run higher octaine, other than cost more money @ fill ups.
If That makes You feel all "Warm & Fussy" thinking you're doing better by the scooter running "Premium" fuel, Please continue to do so & sleep well tonight.
If you thnk giving yourself a "Smoke Enama" about improving performance of a otherwise Stock engine, please have the decency to close the bathroom door before you administer same to yourself.
Certain personal beliefs & activitys should be kept private & behind closed doors.

Now that I have successfully pissed off 1/2 the membership, I shall retire & consume a quanity of adult beverages at this time....
Old 04-22-2012, 10:57 AM   #54
trailwing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Here's a question... When I pump premium fuel into my bike, how much fuel is left in the gas pump line from last consumer? Am I really getting one gallon of regular and four gallons of premium?
Old 04-22-2012, 12:13 PM   #55
BikeMan OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulewright View Post
I It WILL NOT hurt to run higher octaine, other than cost more money @ fill ups. If That makes You feel all "Warm & Fussy" thinking you're doing better by the scooter running "Premium" fuel, Please continue to do so & sleep well tonight.....
i dont think you understand the O.P.. sorry about the big words. i get better mpg with higher octane is a fact. which is something that has already happened. you cant change it or, explain it away. nor can you prove it because, i've already done that. the best you can do is match or better my results and come to same conclusion. IOW's, you need to do your own compar-o. that way you'll have something to back up what ya say. after all , that what i did.
BTW, last sunday i cruised 104.2 miles on 2.0 US gals. = 52.1 mpg. (one time all time high) using regular automotive grade fuel w/AKI of 93. g-luck & ride safe.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:32 PM   #56
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,121
Quote:
i dont think you understand the O.P.. sorry about the big words. i get better mpg with higher octane is a fact. which is something that has already happened. you cant change it or, explain it away. nor can you prove it because, i've already done that. the best you can do is match or better my results and come to same conclusion. IOW's, you need to do your own compar-o. that way you'll have something to back up what ya say. after all , that what i did.
BTW, last sunday i cruised 104.2 miles on 2.0 US gals. = 52.1 mpg. (one time all time high) using regular automotive grade fuel w/AKI of 93. g-luck & ride safe.
Like he said, it won't hurt your bike, and you can continue to feel all warm and fuzzy.

I ran two tanks of the high test stuff, running the same 48 ish miles of interstate (round trip) to work that I've been riding the last 7 year at a typical 70-80 mph depending on traffic, and ended up putting 5 gallons of gas in 10 miles earlier than normal. I always ride the tank down to the bar and gas symbol flashing, and If I fill up the moment those two start flashing it takes 5 gallons on the nose.

My comparison is complete, I'm going back to getting better gas mileage on 89 octane.

My two time all time high MPG is 56mpg, 89 octane, 70-80 mph, 2007 DL650A. Again riding that same damn slab of asphalt. Drafting works.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:12 PM   #57
Mulewright
Old Fart/Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailwing View Post
Here's a question... When I pump premium fuel into my bike, how much fuel is left in the gas pump line from last consumer? Am I really getting one gallon of regular and four gallons of premium?
On average, you are looking at aprox. 1.7 qts of regular based on hose length & diamater on the "average" pump...(including the small spin on filter on the line around these parts)..
I.E. you'll never notice the difference, so don't sweat it on a 5 = gallon tank fill up.
On a 1 gallon tank, yea, not so good...

Mulewright screwed with this post 04-22-2012 at 01:26 PM
Mulewright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:24 PM   #58
Mulewright
Old Fart/Journeyman

Quote:
My personal best came 3 weeks ago, on a poker run (following with "Hardly Ablesons") at 48.7 mpg.
Production line variences account for a lot of the descrepencies you see posted anywhere...

I will admit that my bike "Feels" better when running 93, but on the dyno it makes no more measurable power... nor better fuel economy crusing WITH my electronic cruise on, over the same streach of I-road every day.
I think that eliminates a lot of rider varience from the bottom line results.
The Dyno runs & everyday commutes, along with Years of experience turning wrenches is what I base My info on.
Perfect? Not likely, But likely more accurate than Billy Bob reporting results of $10.00 worth crusing around over the last 3 weeks, if you catch my meaning....
Of course Y.R.M.V......
Old 04-22-2012, 03:25 PM   #59
Jake Mountain
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailwing View Post
That hose is 6-8 feet in length with an inside diameter of maybe 1" I'm sure it wont hold more than a quart if that.
Jake Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:51 PM   #60
trailwing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Mountain View Post
That hose is 6-8 feet in length with an inside diameter of maybe 1" I'm sure it wont hold more than a quart if that.
Cool. If I ever build my CT125 into a a high compression monster, I'll be careful at the gas pump.

As far as this thread goes, I think local gasoline suppliers (and the actual solution at your locale) significantly effect the statistical outcome. If choosing a particular grade for your style of riding and gps location works... Then more power to you.