User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2011, 07:28 AM   #1
oldyams OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Question 2 stage power reeds in a ty350 and pulling the flywheel

Hi I'm new on this site so bear with me please! I decided to try Boyesen power reeds in my ty350 as I have them in my ty250 twinshock. the paperwork that came with them says to cut the outer bridge out for better performance. I am a little leary of doing this as it is "no turning back now" approach and the old stock reeds looked really good. has anyone done this and achieved good results? I put them in yesterday without removing the bridge so I'm just wondering.
Now for the flywheel removal.....I have tried 2 different flywheel removal tools which are identical and cannot get the threads to take, I realize that they are left hand threads. Has anyone found another way of getting the flywheel off since there is no clearance for a jaw puller? The threads must be messed up and I don't want to force it and screw up the flywheel threads worse and the puller.
Thanks in advance!
oldyams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:06 AM   #2
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,332
Are you sure the threads are left handed? I can't think of any reason that they would be.
I wouldn't do the reed mod unless you're doing extensive engine mods.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:02 AM   #3
oldyams OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Question

They are according to the puller supplier and it works for my ty twinshock and that it fits the 350 as well. i will feel pretty silly if that's all it is though.
oldyams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:48 PM   #4
flyinfuzz
2 Quarts low

Oddometer: 1,720
Ok , I talked to the Know all Ty guru of the STRA,yamaha mech for 25+ years.He has rode TY's since 1976 and knows all the ins and outs.
1. the reeds will help with out cutting the webs but will work better with them cut out. Downside is you have to use Boysen reeds from then on in that reed cage.
2. Ty 350 uses the same flywheel puller as the twinshock and is left handed threads .
Use some WD-40 and a wire brush on a Dremel to remove any rust on the threads. It dosen't take much to keep the puller from starting.
He knows of no other way to pull the flywheel other than using the ty puller without damaging the flywheel.
Hope this helps anything else He might help with PM me Good luck
Old 11-04-2011, 08:01 PM   #5
yamty175
5 every section

Oddometer: 55
Follow this thread for an answer:
http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/...47#entry283947
I had trouble screwing the puller into the flywheel on one of my project TY175s, cleaned the threads up (gently) with a brass toothbrush and lube, then pushed and turned the puller into the threads.
Can't contribute to the Boyesen question.