User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2011, 05:47 AM   #1
eldomike OP
Who Cares

Oddometer: 715
MG Sidecar Rig

Picking this up next week...shitty phone pics from the seller but was wondering if anybody could ID the Car? Seller didn't know....

eldomike screwed with this post 09-14-2013 at 12:49 PM
eldomike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:55 AM   #2
Threewheelbonnie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldomike View Post
Picking this up next week...shitty phone pics from the seller but was wondering if anybody could ID the Car? Seller didn't know....

Heddingham?

Andy
Threewheelbonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:55 AM   #3
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,441
I like that rig.

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:15 AM   #4
eldomike OP
Who Cares

Did a search on Heddingham...believe Andy is correct...thanks...I'll post better pictures of it when I get it home...
Old 11-05-2011, 07:17 AM   #5
eldomike OP
Who Cares

BTW, looks like the leading link forks may be of the same manufacturer...
Old 11-05-2011, 07:19 AM   #6
vernon dent
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 697
Mike,
look @ the one i posted in sidecar pics. that was a deal.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:22 AM   #7
eldomike OP
Who Cares

Wow that was a steal
Old 11-05-2011, 07:23 AM   #8
vernon dent
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 697
Quote:
Wow that was a steal
it was only about 400 miles away too.
plus the guy had harpers do the cylinders about 10 years ago. owned it for over 30 years!

vernon dent screwed with this post 11-05-2011 at 07:29 AM
vernon dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:32 AM   #9
chris a
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
You lucky boy EldoMike...those chairs are superb if a bit heavy.
chris a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:08 AM   #10
tallnbig68
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Thumb Moto Guzzi Rig

History lesson. When I was contemplating an update to my the 1981 Honda Goldwing
with Velorex chair, was duly impressed by Unit Sidecars. Unit was the name
of the leading link fork, the sidecar (only one at the time) was Hedingham.

The person in charge was Keith Wash, a retired electrical engineer who had
packed it in and moved to Hedingham, in Essex. Castle Hedingham,
nr Halstead, look it up on Google Maps. There's also a preserved steam
railway at Castle Hedinham. All of the settlements btw are within
spitting distance of each other. Different names, different locations.
Normal in the UK...

Keith operated his company out of a small workshop across the road from where he
and Anne lived. Keith's own rig was a basic SS chair with a Moto-Guzzi tug and
it was set up to go quite fast, ie it could easily pull 100mph on the track.
He also constructed leading link forks. The forks were the main business,
he had one or two others helping him. Their market was the UK, for the most part.

He had never sold an export chair! Down at the local one evening
I guess in 1985 when I was there on vacation, we were doodling on serviettes
while getting quite drunk on the local dark draft,
Keith had a few changes in mind for his original SS. Basically raise the
boot as in the photo of the red one seen in the photo and change the windscreen so it
rolled forward so all ingress and egress from the machine would be easier.
Told him it should be
called an XL, for extra large. Next thing I knew we were assembling a frame for
an export model to come to me in Canada. The actual glass fibre moulding
was done by another company off site.

The chair was duly shipped to Canada, by overseas vessel, where i
had to carefully explain to the idiot at Canada Customs what it
was and he could not understand why I did not buy one made in Canada!
Told him they were only manufactured in Quebec, and he then told me so,
buy from them. At this point in time Quebec was trying to leave Canada,
so it would not have been in my personal interest to go there,
even today if they even made a motion to leave, I'd pack their
bags and out of Canada, with them.

The sidecar rig was as seen in the photos, right hand mount and fitting
similar to Velorex. As my bike was not in the UK, I could not have the
fittings installed at the shop. Keith welded the fittings to the bike
and the chair was then mounted. I might add the frame is called
a surround frame as the chair sits down inside the frame for protection.
Velorex, Champion and H-D chairs are a platform frame, whereby
the chair body sits on top of the frame.
The cost then was about C$2100.00 plus duty and taxes of
about another $500.00. I had also ordered a set of
leading link forks which arrived in a box, under
separate cover with zillions of large denomination
cancelled stamps
This was some years ago and international postage
methods were not up to snuff especially from the UK.

Came home from the importers with this huge box on a trailer behind a friend's old GM pick me up. The box with the chair inside was too big for the box on the truck, and it weighed, a lot!!

Bottom line, the chair was installed, by me, ditto the forks. i sold an number of other forks assemblies through Keith and then realized the provincial and federal governments, particularly the latter wanted any goods sold in Canada
to be labelled in the language of Canada and of Quebec. Sidecars had to have the various items stamped on the frame, French first followed by English. Even now all federal employees who deal with the public must speak French, even if there is not a French speaking person within 1000 miles. And of course all federal structures are labelled in English and French. I also was to have full insurance in case something went wrong after selling the product and had to supply a booklet/instructions in French and English for all new purchasers. Difficult for a small so-called cottage operations.
The final straw was somebody who purchased a set of forks for his 1986 Goldwing and was quite annoyed that i did not
do installs of same even though it was noted that it was sales only. The rig did get the forks installed in my garage,
however because the rig had the then linked brakes now common to most touring machines, I had to disconnect
the link to the leading forks. The owner was not too happy. One or two friends who knew of these things helped me, but
was glad to see the last of that rig! It also made me realize that somebody who has a fully equipped machine shop and the expertise to operate same wasn't going to sell sidecars.
One has to remember sidecars are not a common item in Canada; heck around here even trikes are few and far between. Solo crotch rockets are the norm and the riders like to aim their machines everywhere with little or no real protection to their person. I can't recall when I last saw a motorcyclist wearing full letahers, always jeans and aleather jacket.

So back to the chair. I believe only one or two other right hand mount sidecars were ever sold to North America.
I operated my chair on my 1981 Honda Goldwing. The chair was very heavy, just by dint pf the construction.
Enroute to Americade in 1989, the sidecar wheel bearing disintegrated. Was in Rome NY with others on sidecars, they
waited until i found a small machine shop that could punch out the old bearing and install a new bearing which I had to drive some sixty miles to purchase. It delayed our arrival by some hours, we already had accommodation. I had bought the chair because it was neat, no wife, no children, no animals. Still none of those three annoyances for me even now at age 65. My lover Max had died in 1981, and for some years prior we road BMW's with Steib sidecars all over the place, and always in full leather. We had done the UK and Europe in 1978 and had much fun, together.
Yes am still quite queer and if that's not your lifestyle, that is your decision, not mine.

Americade was something else. On the way home the other two people riding with their wives in their chairs avoided a rather nasty drop in the pavement on the New York State Thruway, I didn't. The drop snapped both the rear mounting
bracket where it attached to the motorcycle frame and broke the frame on the chair. I figured the drop was easily two feet, and of course no warning signs. It's amazing what one can do with bungee cords, duct tape and strong rope when forced into a situation. A half hour repair job sufficed until i got home to Canada, all on the same day. My friends purchased many items; I purchased very few, they did not declare said items, I did and had to pay $269.00 in duty and taxes. Many many items are still not available in Canada for machines that the Americans can always readily procure.
Beside what industry is going to label goods for a small country that demands said goods be labelled only in French and English, no other language allowed including Spanish.

My world had changed by the time I go home from Americade. Health and welfare problems were happening;
i was short financially for various reasons. My school board employer was looking at major amalgamations and I too had left on an extended vacation under a nasty cloud of sexual messes.. Being gay and in a school setting was not a good idea although had never had problems for the past 22 years. Got out with a small pension. Spent many a day looking at the sidecar and the damage from, mounts and related. Advertised in the USCA magazine and sold the chair for C$4000.00 to a chap in Beacon Hill NY, a restaurant owner as I recall. He came in his long bed pickup. We loaded the frame and the chair, the mounting brackets and the leading link forks. He paid me cash and was home by late that same evening.

Often wondered what happened to serial number XL - 1? The serial number should be somewhere on the sidecar frame.

The Goldwing sat in my garage most of the summer, it needed restoration back to a solo and I was not in the mood. Between job-hunting and finding I was not suitable for many things due to this sexual dismissal chip in my CV found writing a monthly journal and selling said columns on railway transportation to be my best choice. Basic wages but still an income. That little activity continued until some five years ago when Lupus and cancer intruded on my life..

Some after thoughts...the Hedingham XL was a physically heavy chair! The GL1100 Goldwing could just pull the machine in fourth gear, fifth gear was useless. And too I am a physically huge person, 6'8" tall and weighing about 400 pounds. If you lift the tail gate lid, u can easily drop in six cases of beer and stil lhave room to spare.

As noted elsewhere am thinking of returning to motorcycling with a sidecar but given the overall physically smaller machines of these days, and now in retrospect realizing virtually all of my once motorcycling friends are either dead, left the hobby or moved away. As a number of them said to me, you're queer, we don't want you around our family or property.. The Goldwing with over 500,000 on the clock was sold to a friend of mine two years ago. i should but I don't miss it. Too many health and emotional problems of late..

Keith Wash is no longer manufacturing and selling sidecars or leading link forks. The industry has changed,
and here in North America sidecars are not common. There is nothing quite like operating a sidecar rig in the snow and doing spin out doughnuts on freshly covered in snow streets. The Ural set up is just way too small, i dwarf the poor machines, and they aren't meant for heavy duty operations.

I might feel better with a sidecar rig but as with many things,
perhaps my time in that hobby has passed by as well.

tallnbig68
(Bryce Lee)
tallnbig68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:19 AM   #11
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,003
eldomike,
You did good on your purchase. If for some reason you decide it's not your cup o tea, I'd like to head the clique for the next owner.

An EML Guzzi or what you have would suit me very well , I think.

Kenneth
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:24 AM   #12
eldomike OP
Who Cares

I'll find out tomorrow how good it was....I'll probably move it as I have a rig I'm attached to already(see my signature)....though I doubt the one I have is as good as the one I'm picking up....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post
eldomike,
You did good on your purchase. If for some reason you decide it's not your cup o tea, I'd like to head the clique for the next owner.

An EML Guzzi or what you have would suit me very well , I think.

Kenneth
Old 11-07-2011, 02:07 PM   #13
Steve In Ireland
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
>Keith Wash is no longer manufacturing and selling sidecars or leading link forks.

True, but the forks and sidecars are still being made by the new owners of the company and going strong. See http://www.hedinghamsidecars.com/
Steve In Ireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:49 PM   #14
maquette
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Quote:
...though I doubt the one I have is as good as the one I'm picking up....
Mike,

I like the one you already have and the one you are picking up as well. It's unusual enough that I'd be tempted to hang on to it. Looking forward to more pics and more info on it.

Tom
'79 Moto Guzzi 1000SP/ Velorex 562 sidecar
'72 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
maquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:27 PM   #15
eldomike OP
Who Cares

Wish I could hang on to it but unlike some people, I can't keep every rig I find

I'm home with the bike...will take some pics tomorrow...the car is solid but the bike is pretty rough, hasn't run in years...may be selling the front end and car seperate....don't know yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maquette View Post
Mike,

I like the one you already have and the one you are picking up as well. It's unusual enough that I'd be tempted to hang on to it. Looking forward to more pics and more info on it.

Tom