Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2011, 05:09 PM   #16
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,073
Can't resist. . .

I think Jerry and Steve are both correct. If you create Routes, Tracks and Waypoints at the lowest common denominator for compatibility then there is no reason to switch from MapSource to BaseCamp. MapSource does those things just fine - once you learn the Tool methods. No need to Import all of that data from the files you've created over the years. Besides, you'd most likely have to buy a new(er) computer to get the performance needed to run BaseCamp well with the map compressions being used with the newer products.

On the other hand, if you haven't been using MapSource long, don't have lots of data to Import and want to take advantage of some of the newer features found in newer GPS's then you might consider BaseCamp - even in it's current multiple personalities. I do a fair amount of Track editing and Waypoint updating/creating and haven't found anything I can't do in BaseCamp-Mac. Was there a Tool I was suppose to use that isn't there? Ooops, open ended question!

I create Routes only to humor myself and to sometimes make "creating" Tracks easier.

Change is an interesting phenomena - I like it.

Later this month I'll have a short article on BaseCamp.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:43 AM   #17
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
A bit overstated. Probably most people still use Mapsource and see no need for further development, and no real need to switch to BaseCamp and deal with all their old files. Obviusly new users will probably start with BaseCamp and also be happy.

I mainly use Mapsource to manage my tracks and I have not found BaseCamp offers anything new or improved.
Jerry,

Thanks for the info. I will stick with Mapsource for a while. I was really dreading thinking about having to switch. I don't think your post needed editing. Everybody on PCs that I know still uses Mapsource.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 12:32 PM   #18
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Slightly off subject. Does anyone have a good way of editing tracks,i.e., adding or replacing a small section of a long track.

I need to do this quite a bit. Now I open the track window to be modified and delete the part I don't want. Then I get out and use Track Draw to create the new section. I open that track window and copy the points. Then I open the original track window and paste the new ones in. It would be nice if I could draw the new points into the middle of an existing track.

Sometimes I am smart enough to draw the new track section first. Then I only have to open the track window to be modified once.

BTW I checked around with some of the guys I ride with and, as I thought, all are still using Mapsource.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:04 PM   #19
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
Slightly off subject. Does anyone have a good way of editing tracks,i.e., adding or replacing a small section of a long track...
BaseCamp allows one to split one track into two, and join several tracks into one . Never used MapSource so I don't know if that's available there or not.

They are added end to end (you have control of the order they get added).

Rather than copying and pasting the points, I split the track in two right at the errant section, drew the correct section, and then joined all three tracks into one. I don't know that it's any faster or not, but it gives you a chance to see all the pieces on the map to make sure you're going to get what you expect before you join them.

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"

HardWorkingDog screwed with this post 11-12-2011 at 03:04 PM
HardWorkingDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 02:03 PM   #20
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,884
I split tracks regularily in Mapsource...never tried to join two, but I imagine you could.

I'll have to check out this BaseCamp for windows.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 03:42 PM   #21
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,698
There's a "Track join" tool in Mapsource.
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:30 PM   #22
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,128
Quote:
Slightly off subject. Does anyone have a good way of editing tracks,i.e., adding or replacing a small section of a long track.

I need to do this quite a bit. Now I open the track window to be modified and delete the part I don't want. Then I get out and use Track Draw to create the new section. I open that track window and copy the points. Then I open the original track window and paste the new ones in. It would be nice if I could draw the new points into the middle of an existing track.
Assuming you have an existing long track and want to reroute a short section in the middle: I would first draw the new section (in the same file as the original track) Then delete all the track points that are being bypassed, This is done by zooming in on start of bypass and find the number of the first track point to be deleted, then zoom in on end of bypass and select last point to be deleted, then scroll up to the first number and do a "Shift" click to select the whole section to be deleted, click delete. Then open the hand drawn track and select all points and cut or delete, close (it will delete track form list), open the old track they are going to, select the point at the end of the long straight line and past.

There is no need to split and join, just insert new section after deleting old section.

However I would just hand draw the new section, download both old long real track and new hand drawn section, then go ride it and save the active log and either past the new active log in old track or ride the whole thing.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:07 AM   #23
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Jerry,

What you describe in your fist paragraph is pretty much what I do. I was hoping somebody had discovered a way to draw track points directly into the middle of a track. The track draw tool seems to want to draw them at the end of the last track viewed until you hit cancel.

Most of my trip planning is long trips with lots of tracks. I often run up against the 20 track limit on my 60. This makes your last suggestion generally not practical.

I have started taking a notebook computer on trips and downloading tracks in the middle of the trip that I was not able to fit in in the first download.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:24 AM   #24
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,674
Quote:
...This makes your last suggestion generally not practical...
What, you mean the part about using an offroad motorcycle to replace a computer mouse?

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:41 AM   #25
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Jerry, I was hoping somebody had discovered a way to draw track points directly into the middle of a track. The track draw tool seems to want to draw them at the end of the last track viewed until you hit cancel..
That would be very complicated software. Only two choices, draw a new track from scratch or add on to ether end of an existing track (tracks are reversable). I guess I have been doing it way too long because, I draw, cut, & past without even thinking aobut it much.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:04 AM   #26
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,544
Google Earth allows you to edit the middle of a Path (Track). You can click on any point along the track and delete the point (or many points) or start clicking and it will add points from that mid-point. The problem with editing in GE is that you can't cut a track at a mid-point nor join two tracks. So, I often have to jump between GE and MapSource to get what I want done.
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:14 AM   #27
Spiritwalker2222
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
If you want to add tracks to the middle of a track why don't you just cut the track in half, add the new tracks to the end of the first track and then join them back up together?

For the Track or Route discussion, how do you use Routes when there there are no roads where you want to go? I have been unable to do this, but could see the potential if it's possible. I'm assuming the people who use routes are only going down know (to their GPS's map) roads. I use tracks for my dirt bike, and routes with auto-reroute turned off for my road bike.
Spiritwalker2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:33 AM   #28
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
That would be very complicated software. Only two choices, draw a new track from scratch or add on to ether end of an existing track (tracks are reversable). I guess I have been doing it way too long because, I draw, cut, & past without even thinking aobut it much.
Adding points to/into the path of a Track is a very simple operation in BaseCamp-Windows v3.2.2. You simply select your Track, zoom in on the area you want to edit and then select the Point Insert Tool. Click on the portion of the Track you want to insert a point and you will have a "rubber-band" segment. Click on the map where you want the new point and done. Repeat.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:05 AM   #29
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker2222 View Post

For the Track or Route discussion, how do you use Routes when there there are no roads where you want to go? I have been unable to do this, but could see the potential if it's possible. I'm assuming the people who use routes are only going down know (to their GPS's map) roads. I use tracks for my dirt bike, and routes with auto-reroute turned off for my road bike.

I do this a lot when creating routes. I am constantly switching back and forth between Topo and City Nav when planning trips. Often Topo will show a road not in City Nav. So I just draw that part of the route in Topo. My version of Topo does not support follow-road routing so I just get straight lines between waypoints or via points. So I have to put in a few more points in that area.

I never use routes on the GPS unit itself. I am sure the follow-the-road routing algorithm would go nuts creating a route around the area where a road does not exist.

But what I described above works fine until I get the route firmed up to the point where I am ready to draw in the tracks.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:39 PM   #30
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Adding points to/into the path of a Track is a very simple operation in BaseCamp-Windows v3.2.2. You simply select your Track, zoom in on the area you want to edit and then select the Point Insert Tool. Click on the portion of the Track you want to insert a point and you will have a "rubber-band" segment. Click on the map where you want the new point and done. Repeat. Cheers,
Finally, at least one new great feature in BaseCamp.

Didn't think of "rubber band" process which alrady exisited for Routes. Should be same basic software.

Countdown screwed with this post 11-14-2011 at 12:47 PM
Countdown is online now   Reply With Quote