Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2011, 10:22 AM   #1
Jochen OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Fjord Hunter does Norway 2

Hi all

Been thinking about doing another Norway trip this year but it was getting later and later in the season and I hadn't gotten the thumb out of my ass yet.

We've had a lot of rain here in Norway/Sweden in September and I've been checking out the weather reports every week to try and find one weekend without too much rain. I was looking at the report one Friday at work in the end of September and it looked pretty good so I decided to go for it the same day.

I had planned a short weekend route months ago with the main goal to drive Aursjøvegen (Aursjøroad). It's a spectacular gravel road that was built as a service road for a hydropower dam on top of the mountain.

The route looks like this:

http://maps.google.se/maps/ms?msid=2...17339,4.938354

I went home from work early to get as far in to Norway as I could that day. It started raining a bit in Sweden but luckily it stopped in Norway cause I hate having to put up my tent while it's raining.

I found an OK spot near the road to camp for the night.

Cozy huh?

I love good food and it's just wonderful to get some well cooked Italian food and rinse it down with a Czech lager after a long day in the saddle.

It got really cold during the night so note to self: Buy a warmer sleeping bag till next year.

It was a hell of a fog that morning but I started cruisin towards Sunndalsøra where the gravel road begins. I got there pretty early and turned on the helmet cam and started filming.

I took a bunch of photos as well.

I can highly recommend this road if you're thinking about riding in Norway, but really the roads and scenery are beautiful anywhere you go in this country so you really can't go wrong.

Nice little cemetery right next to a fjord.

I made a quick stop at Trollveggen (The Troll Wall) and snapped a couple of pictures.

I've had a lot of problems with sore knees while driving full days before but that problem vanished as soon as I bought me some highway pegs for the Murmansk trip I made earlier this summer. Best investment on the bike so far!

Because of the heavy raining this autumn there has been a lot of landslides in Norway and I came across this one.

I always get fascinated by the green color of the water here in Norway, it doesn't look like this where I'm from.

I just couldn't stop riding that day so I ended up driving around 800km on these twisty roads. Great fun!

Thats it for this time, hope you enjoyed it!

Jochen screwed with this post 11-20-2011 at 12:37 PM
Jochen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:00 PM   #2
PinkPillion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
Very nice Jochen! Wonderful photos, the green water is beautiful for sure. Thanks for sharing.
PinkPillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:52 PM   #3
Riff
Legend - In my Mind

Oddometer: 307
Fantastic is there more?

[I went and checked out your other installment and I can't wait for next one - Thanks]

Riff screwed with this post 11-06-2011 at 12:59 PM
Riff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:05 PM   #4
Mr Bowler Hat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Great stuff

48 states in 28 days http://blog-adventure-usa.blogspot.com/
Mr Bowler Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:20 PM   #5
Jochen OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riff View Post
Fantastic is there more?

[I went and checked out your other installment and I can't wait for next one - Thanks]

I've made a trip to Murmansk in Russia this summer but I don't have too many pics from the trip so I don't know if I'm gonna write a report or not. I also filmed quite a lot on the trip but when I got home I realized that I had the camera tilted too low the whole trip... You can check out a video from the trip on my Youtube channel.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:27 PM   #6
Riff
Legend - In my Mind

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jochen View Post
I've made a trip to Murmansk in Russia this summer but I don't have too many pics from the trip so I don't know if I'm gonna write a report or not. I also filmed quite a lot on the trip but when I got home I realized that I had the camera tilted too low the whole trip... You can check out a video from the trip on my Youtube channel.

Thanks Jochen will ck out the "Youtube", and look forward to your future posts.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:54 PM   #7
Eurastus
Hej på dej!!

Oddometer: 346
Vi behöver mer!

Don't leave us hangin'. More!
Old 11-07-2011, 02:48 PM   #8
Jochen OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurastus View Post
Vi behöver mer!

Don't leave us hangin'. More!
Sorry man but I don't have any more pics from this trip. I always take too few pictures on my trips and always regret it when I get home...

I spent 15 hours in the saddle the second day so I ended up pretty far into Sweden and from there on I didn't take any pictures cause I'm so used to the scenery there.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:38 PM   #9
Nikolai
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
wow, beautiful photos! Thanks so much for sharing.
Nikolai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:44 AM   #10
Mannen
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Tjena..

Ola', guess I've been waiting for the report on your summertour to Russia since reading your first report from Norway. You are really a good photographer, nice views really.Part from the oilconsumption on your last trip what about the 850 conversion of your S10 - are you content, was it a clean switch. Fun to do some odd job on it I guess but was it necessary for some reason - I've been driving around here this summer in the south of Sweden on gravelroads to get to know my S10 750. I'm content with the power(should be round 80hp with the things done to it) but would like to have one more gear for cruising on the bigger roads. Would be fun to know some extras - camera, GPS, tools, fuel consumption.

Mannen screwed with this post 11-14-2011 at 04:44 AM
Mannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:14 PM   #11
Jochen OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannen View Post
Ola', guess I've been waiting for the report on your summertour to Russia since reading your first report from Norway. You are really a good fotographer, nice views really.Part from the oilconsumption on your last trip what about the 850 conversion of your S10 - are you content, was it a clean switch. Fun to do some odd job on it I guess but was it necessary for some reason - I've been driving around here this summer in the south of Sweden on gravelroads to get to know my S10 750. I'm content with the power(should be round 80hp with the things done to it) but would like to have one more gear for cruising on the bigger roads. Would be fun to know some extras - camera, GPS, tools, fuel consumption.
I'm actually very happy with the engine swap. There wasn't anything wrong with my old engine but I think the 750 engine lack a bit of low down grunt and need a bit too high revs to drift through corners and such. When I first made the swap I put in the 850 3VD CDI unit wich wasn't very good on a adventurebike because of the lack of low down power but putting back the 750 3LD box fixed that problem. It's not a night and day difference but you definitely notice it but I would like to have 20 more hp.

The switch was pretty clean, you have to use the oil sump and generator cover from the 3LD engine and also the spacers for the swingarm mount (which I couldn't remove from the 3LD and had to buy new ones). You also need to rejet the carbs.

The fuel consumption is the same after the swap. Can't really explain the oil consumption on this trip cause it hasn't burned any oil before or since.

I use a GoPro HD for filming and a cheap old Sony point and shoot camera for the photos. The GPS is an old Mio 268+ car navigator and not waterproof.

What have you done on your bike to gain 10hp?
Old 11-13-2011, 11:23 AM   #12
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 9,354
love it!
Old 11-14-2011, 05:45 AM   #13
Mannen
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Not quite....

Hi, well about the Hp, I bought the bike from Germany and the guy(Peter Hensel, yes an "e" not an "a",not the Dakarchamp) that had it before made the upgrades - had even done a homepage for the bike with all data on it and a lot of nice pics. The work was done by Yamaha Center in Berlin, I don't know if they benched it but on his homepage it is said to be eq. to the TDM 850, that is 77 Hp if I'm correct. So I trust his information and am content with the power and speed that I have. Anyway I can feel that it stalls sometimes on low revs and you have to be very gentle when you turn and go through roundabouts and such. I will not do any new stuff to the engine but am about to order crashbars from Heavy Duties in Rumania, maybe I should have some racks too.
Now - about the trip to Russia and Murmansk, I've seen the videos, shame that the camera didn't work as you had wanted, would have been nice to see more of it - you do have some remote areas west of Ural too that are really wild, the Komi and Archangelsk area up to The Barents Sea. Would be nice to see some stories from that part of the world, so if anyone knows - give us some hints!! I'd love to read about it and to see some nice pics, don't think I'll ever get there but the area fascinates me as well as all of the Northern hemisphere.
Mannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:05 AM   #14
McFuryMcNugget
me specie in dea ist

Oddometer: 499
Ty fan de var bra,

Hejsan sverge.

Nice video and pictures.

Mitt bæsta frán Island

McFury
Whats next ? Man walking on the moon ?.
All typing is done with One Finger using a MacPro Computer.
McFuryMcNugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 02:45 PM   #15
rubRsidedown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,577
WOW, one more place I HAVE to see.

GREAT pics and videos.
"We don't quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing."
rubRsidedown is online now   Reply With Quote