Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2012, 04:11 PM   #421
ramon
weezin' the juice!

Oddometer: 1,105
As others have said, great report! Actually got me seriously thinking about making Argentina, my retirement spot...and I am only 42! Looking forward to the next installment
Old 04-14-2012, 04:54 PM   #422
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymatt43 View Post
So, we're taking a day off to work on the bike and enjoy Puerto Varas today. My first order of business has been my brake situation. I took everything apart and got the pads out and you can't imagine how caked everything is with oil. I spent a good bit of the morning cleaning everything up but here's my question: I bought some fine sandpaper and wire brushes, would it be totally foolish to try and sand down the pads a bit and continue to use them? I don't want to damage the rotor and I just don't know if it's a good idea. They still have a good bit of wear to be used and I'd rather not chunk them if they can be salvaged.
Hola Amigos...

As others have chimed in...NO DICE...the cleaned pads will again and again get oiled in...already have absorbed oil...forget about soaking..they will never return to their original state whether Organic pads or sintered. Don't worry about the rotors just don't sand or wire brush them. Clean the pads the best way you can....then to prevent further oil being splashed rearwards is to cover and wire/tie the offending leak area with rags and more rags; believe me stripped and cut baby diapers will do wonders . They very absorbent.

Ride safe....

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 04-16-2012 at 06:17 PM
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:04 AM   #423
Horton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
Wunderfull photos!!!

About the brake pads I will follow Abenteuerfahrer. And about the Fender. Next time give a try. Fix it weak. Not hard.

I just make a calculation about our Chile trip, end of the year. Valparaiso-Nazca-going south (not till Ushuaia)-and back, 12.000km

dä rumtreibär
Horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:20 PM   #424
mightymatt43 OP
URALiNEED

Oddometer: 475
Brake Situation.

Well, we rode about 300 miles today and it turns out that sanding the pads was not very helpful. The brakes are still very mushy (I would estimate at about 35% braking power) and I think something is not quite right as the rear rotor felt significantly hotter to the touch after riding than the front rotors.

I'm going to go ahead and replace the old pads with a brand new set like I should have done in the first place and just try and shield the rear wheel as much as possible. I ziptied rags all over the place yesterday and that seemed to really help today.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the advice and hopefully with the new pads won't get contaminated as well before we get to Santiago and get the leak figured out!
mightymatt43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:16 AM   #425
Shaggie
Unseen University

Oddometer: 2,579
PM sent

"We are not at home to Mr Reasonable" - Sam Vimes

NZ Touring pics:Brass Monkey 2009:Kiwi Sun:Tiki-touring: Daytrips in NZ
Shaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:52 AM   #426
Mickldo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
First of all, great trip and congratulations on making it this far. I've been following this RR from the beginning and lovin' every post.

With the brake pads I have had success with burning the oil out. Get a shallow pan and put the pads in it. Fill the pan with an inch or so of metho, shellite, or similar. Flick a lit match into the pan and let the lot burn out completely and remember to let the pads cool down before you touch them.

If setting them on fire sounds drastic remember that the operating temps of the pads in normal use are the same or higher than a little metho fire. When you burn them you can see the oil bubbling out of the pores of the pad. Of course the longer you clean and soak the pads before the burn the more oil you get out.

I used to use this method a lot while maintaining a fleet of trucks and 4wds but I have also done it on bikes too.

Good luck

Ride on, gonna change my evil ways
Ride on, one of these days
One of these days
Mickldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:06 AM   #427
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,498
That's brilliant. I'll have to try that some time. For those of us who speak Amurikan English, am I correct to assume that the fuel you are describing is alcohol? Do you think ordinary gasoline would work?

Open flame is also how I clean out clogged carb jets - hold them over a gas kitchen stove until they glow dull red, then drop them into a pan of water. Voila! clean jets. And, don't hold them with pliers - the brass gets soft when hot, hold it with a loop of safety wire.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:34 AM   #428
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 677
"Putting out fires with gasoline"! NO. NO. NO. Back in my youth, while
cleaning some auto parts, I decided to burn them clean using an old
hubcap full of gas. I was lucky, I wound up with no eyebrows, no eyelashes
and a really short curly flat-top!

And then there was the guy that blew his house off the foundation cleaning
motorcycle parts in the bathtub. He forgot about the pilot light on the
water heater.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:28 AM   #429
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,498
I don't think anyone here advocates indoor gasoline fires, or standing over the fuel while igniting it. I'd like to think most people outgrow that degree of inexperience.

So, Matt, two things - I hope you're storing your original photos to the cloud, and.... is it too early to use the word "book"?
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:16 AM   #430
Mickldo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al View Post
That's brilliant. I'll have to try that some time. For those of us who speak Amurikan English, am I correct to assume that the fuel you are describing is alcohol? Do you think ordinary gasoline would work?

Open flame is also how I clean out clogged carb jets - hold them over a gas kitchen stove until they glow dull red, then drop them into a pan of water. Voila! clean jets. And, don't hold them with pliers - the brass gets soft when hot, hold it with a loop of safety wire.
Yeah, I think you guys call it alcohol (Heet?).

I wouldn't use petrol/gasoline. Too flammable for my liking. Notice I also said to flick a lit match into the pan. Don't go standing too close.

I probably should have added the usual disclaimer, try this at your own risk/ don't attempt if you are a drongo/ etc.

Ride on, gonna change my evil ways
Ride on, one of these days
One of these days
Mickldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:45 AM   #431
prometheus rising
Ghost In The Machine

Oddometer: 721
Amazing ! The trip, the writing, the photography are electrifying. You two are doing it up right,

I appreciate the time and effort you are putting in to allow us to "ride along" with you

Big Boy is quite the rig, here's to getting your oil issues resolved succesfully

The Adirondacks and Beyond ADV ride report
prometheus rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:44 AM   #432
lukeman
Cool Hand

Oddometer: 448
The fall colors of the trees is amazing. I don't think I've seen too many ride reports capture the fall down there (don't want to get close to winter I'd imagine). Great shots!
Currently: 04 Tiger 955i | 85 BMW K100RT stripped
lukeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:37 PM   #433
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 652
Thanks for your time.....

Matt & Kristen,

I'm going on 69 yrs. old and not the best of health so reading this from my recliner and day-dreaming is about the best that I'll hope for anymore. Some of your comments assure me that you two are being totally very grateful for being able to do this and to have each other. As an old man it's really great to see that so thanks for the efforts to allow someone like me to enjoy life from my chair and to follow along.

I hope that time and your travels will continue to heal the hurt that both of you are dealing with.

Gary
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:44 PM   #434
Hogslayer
motomaniac

Oddometer: 140
Just checking in to see how you two were doing, hopefully you made it somewhere by now and are taking care of that oil leak problem.

I hope that German engineering hasn't left you stranded somewhere along the road..."knock on wood"....
Hogslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:10 PM   #435
Eagletalon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Finally all caught up! I have to say that Perito Moreno has always been one of those destinations that I hope one day to make it to. Great pics as always and you guys seem to be having a blast. Thanks for the constant updating. It has been amazing to be part of this ride with you guys.

Later
John
Eagletalon is offline   Reply With Quote