awesome

waiting for more

Need some help<<<<<<>>>>>>> wet wanderings
ata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:52 PM   #467
Racenut
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Glad you were able to get Big Boi fixed up before going home so you can focus on family and relax and not worry about the bike. Enjoy your uhhh "vacation" from your adventure.
Racenut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:37 AM   #468
cmaridersa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
So what now?
That's a bit complicated. Kristen's best friend is getting married this weekend in Texas, so we'll be flying back to San Antonio tomorrow and leaving the bike in a storage unit owned by a friend of Gaston from SAXplorer. We also have decided to be back in Texas to be with Kristen's parents for the year anniversary of Ryan's death. It's only right that we are together on that day. Also, my little sister is getting married in about a month, so we're just going to be leaving the bike down here while we take care of stuff in Texas for 4 our 5 weeks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Texas Ural Rally is coming up!

Give me a call if you have time after you return for your break. Will be "Motor-Marshalling" for the Tour de Cure bicycle ride the next two Saturdays, then headed to the Ural rally the following Thursday.
'04 Ural Patrol - MollyTov
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250S w/Texas Sidecar
cmaridersa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:38 AM   #469
hwy61
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 409
What a treat it's been following along on this adventure...Thanks! Say Matt, I seem to remember in a post here that you mentioned you were once on tour in a band...care to elaborate?

Cheers,
Pete
Old 04-25-2012, 07:19 AM   #470
sandsman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Who knows, I might bump into ya'll down in the San Antonio area. I will be down there riding with my girlfriend and my sister and her hubby. So if you see something that looks like this, that's me. Love to buy ya'll a coke or coffee.

sandsman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:34 AM   #471
ooweel
Jobless, Its OK!

Oddometer: 760
Wait a Minute!

You can't go away for a month and leave us hangin! We are all in on this RR.
My wife and I want to see Texas family and Wedding pic's as this is part of the whole adventure.
ooweel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:48 AM   #472
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,425
As usual, good to hear your travels are treating you well.

I think you won't regret it if you just bite the bullet and bring new pads back from TX with you.

FYI, the Sachs MadAss is available in the US. A friend of mine is looking for one here in San Francisco. Maybe that's your next adventure bike. The Rockies by MadAss. LOL...
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:40 PM   #473
Horton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
I hope you two have a good and safe journey. If we meet us somewhere, I pay the cake. . .

When I was talking about fix the fender "weak", I have something like this in mind for the connection between a holding iron and the fender itself. . .
http://tecfit.org/ersatzteile-laufba...nautilus2.html

And reduce the Fenderweight!

dä rumtreibär

Horton screwed with this post 04-27-2012 at 09:48 AM
Horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:11 PM   #474
Hogslayer
motomaniac

Oddometer: 140
Glad you two are doing fine and got the bike problem all sorted out......I can now relax while having my coffee and cake.... For some reason I keep having cravings for coffee and cake.... Oh well ...thats weird....
Hogslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:44 PM   #475
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,274
It was just a washer to sort out the oil leak ?...Woo..great..... Ride on, ride far, ride safe. See you both here in 5 weeks .

Cheers..
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:36 PM   #476
J-Dub
Combat Commuter

Oddometer: 242
Glad to hear you guys got the leak sorted out. Have a nice time in SA!
1965 Triumph TR-6 S/R
J-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:23 AM   #477
Backoutonthehighway
I ride w/ Lewddites

Oddometer: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymatt43 View Post

Tomorrow we pick up our bike and the adventure begins!
Still need to spend some time catching up, but I'm IN!

Sorry to learn of your loss, but love your sense of adventure and urgency to live NOW. Looking forward to catching up over the weekend so I can follow along in "real time."

Cheers and safe travels!

http://backoutonthehighway.com
Backoutonthehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:18 PM   #478
mightymatt43 OP
URALiNEED

Oddometer: 475
Day 67 in South America: Santiago to Texas

Day 67 in South America: Santiago, Chile to San Antonio, TX

Before we took off for our month or so in the USA, we put our bike in a secured warehouse where it will hopefully stay safe while we're gone.

Considering there were a couple of other BMWs kitted out for world travel, I'm pretty optimistic.

It's been a couple of days since we left South America and we've already survived wedding number 1. I ended up being the head photographer for the entire day while Kristen completely took over as coordinator. I am so happy that our friends got married, but I need to say that after shooting hundreds of weddings, we're both pretty much burnt out.

We've got a video we're putting together with footage from our first bit of travel in South America so stay tuned...

mightymatt43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:41 PM   #479
mightymatt43 OP
URALiNEED

Oddometer: 475
Replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceRph View Post
Safe travels home! I, for one, will be standing by.
Awesome! We've got some pretty incredible places to see on our list as we head further north... it's going to be epic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky216 View Post
Safe travels and great ride report. God I love that spirit....but I love my three kids more so I will just live vicariously through your ride report.....lol. Thanks again! It's been a pleasure to read.
We happily welcome as many friends to live vicariously through our report as possible! You've made a good choice though - there is no replacement for spending time with your kids!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavemanjed View Post
Great report guys. I have recommended it to several people. Can't wait to see more. I'm a fellow Texan, if I run into you, beers on me.

Best of Luck
Thanks! I may take you up on your offer if the opportunity presents itself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ata View Post
awesome

waiting for more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racenut View Post
Glad you were able to get Big Boi fixed up before going home so you can focus on family and relax and not worry about the bike. Enjoy your uhhh "vacation" from your adventure.
Hahah - I know, I know. It's totally ridiculous what we're doing but there was really no way around it aside from just skipping two very important weddings. Ah well, I have a bunch of tools I'd like to pick up while I'm in the US so it all works out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaridersa View Post
So what now?
That's a bit complicated. Kristen's best friend is getting married this weekend in Texas, so we'll be flying back to San Antonio tomorrow and leaving the bike in a storage unit owned by a friend of Gaston from SAXplorer. We also have decided to be back in Texas to be with Kristen's parents for the year anniversary of Ryan's death. It's only right that we are together on that day. Also, my little sister is getting married in about a month, so we're just going to be leaving the bike down here while we take care of stuff in Texas for 4 our 5 weeks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Texas Ural Rally is coming up!

Give me a call if you have time after you return for your break. Will be "Motor-Marshalling" for the Tour de Cure bicycle ride the next two Saturdays, then headed to the Ural rally the following Thursday.
Awesome. Wait, so what is the date for the Ural rally? This coming Thursday? I would love to get the chance to ride our GU to the rally if possible...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwy61 View Post
What a treat it's been following along on this adventure...Thanks! Say Matt, I seem to remember in a post here that you mentioned you were once on tour in a band...care to elaborate?

Cheers,
Pete
Thank you for following along...
As far as the band, you might know me from my exploits in a tiny group called U2...

...I kid. We were just an unknown, regional rock band that accidently got signed by Sony. We plugged away at it for a couple years but it just took me away from Kris for too much time as we were constantly touring. That and we got dropped!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsman View Post
Who knows, I might bump into ya'll down in the San Antonio area. I will be down there riding with my girlfriend and my sister and her hubby. So if you see something that looks like this, that's me. Love to buy ya'll a coke or coffee.

That would be great - I'll definitely recognize your rig and will come find you if I see it. When are you planning to come down? It is already getting hot here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooweel View Post
You can't go away for a month and leave us hangin! We are all in on this RR.
My wife and I want to see Texas family and Wedding pic's as this is part of the whole adventure.
You got it! We'll be back down and on the road soon enough... Promise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al View Post
As usual, good to hear your travels are treating you well.

I think you won't regret it if you just bite the bullet and bring new pads back from TX with you.

FYI, the Sachs MadAss is available in the US. A friend of mine is looking for one here in San Francisco. Maybe that's your next adventure bike. The Rockies by MadAss. LOL...
I actually had a fresh pair with me but I stupidly was trying to salvage the old pair. Either way, I am planning to get a few more extra parts while I'm here (pads, air filter, oil filter(s), belt, o-rings, and a new fuel pump controller since I sold the extra I had) so we should be good to go. I also need to buy a few quality tools to replace some of the crap stuff I have down in South America. I had a set of cheap torx bits that just kept braking off...

And don't give me any ideas on that MadAss. I don't think the missus could take it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horton View Post
I hope you two have a good and safe journey. If we meet us somewhere, I pay the cake. . .

When I was talking about fix the fender "weak", I have something like this in mind for the connection between a holding iron and the fender itself. . .
http://tecfit.org/ersatzteile-laufba...nautilus2.html

And reduce the Fenderweight!
I would most definitely take you up on your offer of cake! I have a major sweet tooth.

What you linked is a really interesting idea. I have got to come up with a better way to get the fender hooked up. Reducing the weight would be a great idea too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogslayer View Post
Glad you two are doing fine and got the bike problem all sorted out......I can now relax while having my coffee and cake.... For some reason I keep having cravings for coffee and cake.... Oh well ...thats weird....
Hahah - yeah, we have a thing for coffee and cake. You know it's a problem when you start taking pictures of it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer View Post
It was just a washer to sort out the oil leak ?...Woo..great..... Ride on, ride far, ride safe. See you both here in 5 weeks .

Cheers..
I have to say that I'm not totally convinced. The dealership seemed to know what they were doing but I'm planning on spending some time with the mechanic from our local shop and asking him for some advice. It just seems too easy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Dub View Post
Glad to hear you guys got the leak sorted out. Have a nice time in SA!
Thanks! We are both planning on eating as many tacos as humanly possible while we're home...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backoutonthehighway View Post
Still need to spend some time catching up, but I'm IN!

Sorry to learn of your loss, but love your sense of adventure and urgency to live NOW. Looking forward to catching up over the weekend so I can follow along in "real time."

Cheers and safe travels!
Turns out this is a great time for you to jump in. You've got some time to catch up and in a few weeks we'll be off again and you'll be reading in real time. Nice!
mightymatt43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:44 PM   #480
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,484
...I kid. We were just an unknown, regional rock band that accidently got signed by Sony. We plugged away at it for a couple years but it just took me away from Kris for too much time as we were constantly touring. That and we got dropped!

what was the name of the band?

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is online now   Reply With Quote